PDA

View Full Version : is this normal autocross tire wear?

Mr bob
04-21-2015, 11:30 PM
I ran autocross for the first time this past weekend my car made 15 runs. I am wondering if the front tires being this chewed up is normal. The rears look fine. They are the stock pirelli P7 16s. Front pressure was set at 42 and the rears at 37. I don't feel there was much tire roll as the shoulder only got down far enough to take the nipples off of only the outside of the fronts. So I think the pressures were ok.
Driver17478
Passenger 17479

jguerdat
04-22-2015, 07:29 AM
Looks pretty normal to me, especially after 15 runs. The tires have lots of tread on them and, since they're not aimed at maximum traction, have lots of tread squirm. The blocks of tread aren't interconnected like those on extreme performance tires so they move around on their own, scrubbing the surface off. Worst case, tread blocks can actually get ripped off because of this. You can shave off much of the tread to help do this but it's not possible on tires already driven on the street (stones, etc. would ruin the blades used) or wait until the tires have little tread left.

For a beginner, I wouldn't worry. Down the road, a second set of wheels with more appropriate summer tires would be helpful if you plan on continuing autocrossing.

BigDaddySRT
04-22-2015, 07:58 AM
Was the track surface asphalt?

Dwaynek
04-22-2015, 08:19 AM
The stock tire is crap so not surprised on the wear.

Robert Nixon
04-22-2015, 09:09 AM
I'd say it's normal, can't tell on your passenger side what the side of the tire looks like, where the Pirelli's have a triangle pointing up to show how far down the wear should be.

Some guys will run a little higher than that air pressure on the front, so that's where you need to see if you're getting wear across the full tire or too low over the side.

doverosx
04-22-2015, 01:29 PM
I ran autocross for the first time this past weekend my car made 15 runs. I am wondering if the front tires being this chewed up is normal. The rears look fine. They are the stock pirelli P7 16s. Front pressure was set at 42 and the rears at 37. I don't feel there was much tire roll as the shoulder only got down far enough to take the nipples off of only the outside of the fronts. So I think the pressures were ok.
Driver17478
Passenger 17479

100% normal to be grating like that. Those tires are holding up

nilfinite
04-22-2015, 03:50 PM
Driver17478
Passenger 17479

Tires look good! Shows that you really put them through the paces and managed understeer very well.

Rule of thumb is that tires will last longer if you have AX-only tires and DD-only tires. Using the same tires for both does increase wear a little bit as the wear patterns are different. Luckily our wheels are small and tires are cheaper so it's sometimes worth the convenience of not having to swap wheels during every event.

When I first got the car, I got RE-11 tires and was really pleased with them for both DD & AX. Got around 12K miles out of them and they're definitely good tires to learn with. When you start gunning for the top of your class or PAX, then it starts making sense to get separate wheels and tires.

Mr bob
04-22-2015, 04:04 PM
Thanks to all that answered.

Yes it was on asphalt.

I know that the stock P7s are not the best tire for autocross but it's what I have for now and I figure I would give the sport a chance and do some learning before I decide what route to go with future tires or mods.

I looked for the arrows but I didn't see them. I think I'm happy with the amount of tire roll. It only went as far as the where the nipples were. I think I will try going up a couple pounds next time to see what that does.

E Rossi
04-22-2015, 06:42 PM
My OEM 16" lasted a season at autocross. (I replaced them with snows for the winter. I bought another set of rims, and now I am running 205/45x16 summer tires. I do not have any rubbing with the 205's on OEM 16" rims.)

I run a few more pounds of air than you are using.

Have fun!17486174871748817489

dr.jazzenstein
04-22-2015, 07:50 PM
And I was wondering how the tires might look. The April session was full up by the time I found it but if you're going to MOWOG #1 I'll be the other Abarth there.

Mr bob
04-23-2015, 12:52 AM
Dr jazz,

I will be at MOWOG 1 and 2. That will make 3 Abarths there. I met the guy with the other one last weekend.

E.Rossi,

Thanks for the info on how long your stocks lasted. I will try a couple more pounds next time I go. That will be soon 5/2 and 5/3. Once these are toast I think I will look into the 205/45/16 I know there are more and better choices in that size.