PDA

View Full Version : Manual Transmission, groan in reverse on an incline

MoranJ2000
04-19-2015, 11:33 AM
Iíve had my 6-speed manual 500L for almost a year. Almost as soon as I got it, I sometimes noticed a terrible groan coming from the transmission when I was reversing on an incline. I have also experienced this issue when decelerating while downshifting from 4th to 3rd.

Iím not a mechanic so donít know if the problem lies with the clutch, the shift linkage, or some other part of the transmission, but I can clearly see that both of these scenarios involve the weight of the car being shifted forward (and the gearshift in an upward position, though Iím not sure if that part is relevant or just a coincidence).

Anyway, after bring my car in for service on a couple of occasions and being told once they couldnít reproduce the problem and then that the sound was somehow normal (which it surely is not), I finally got my dealer to acknowledge that there is a problem and that it needs to be fixed.

Hereís the rub. I brought my car in last Monday morning, and by Friday I was being told that they still have not diagnosed the problem. I hesitate to complain too loudly because I was given a quite decent rental at no charge (which I am still driving), but itís still disconcerting to have my car in the shop for an entire week and be no closer to a fix, or even an explanation.

Iíve seen posts on this forum regarding the same transmission problem as mine, but itís not clear how/if they got resolved.

Has anyone managed to get a diagnosis and fix for it? If so, Iíd certainly like to hear about it, because at this point Iím not sure how long my car will be in for service, and not especially confident it will be fixed when I finally get it back.

Thanks,

Joe

Wolfepaw
04-19-2015, 10:42 PM
Iíve had my 6-speed manual 500L for almost a year. Almost as soon as I got it, I sometimes noticed a terrible groan coming from the transmission when I was reversing on an incline. I have also experienced this issue when decelerating while downshifting from 4th to 3rd.

Iím not a mechanic so donít know if the problem lies with the clutch, the shift linkage, or some other part of the transmission, but I can clearly see that both of these scenarios involve the weight of the car being shifted forward (and the gearshift in an upward position, though Iím not sure if that part is relevant or just a coincidence).

Anyway, after bring my car in for service on a couple of occasions and being told once they couldnít reproduce the problem and then that the sound was somehow normal (which it surely is not), I finally got my dealer to acknowledge that there is a problem and that it needs to be fixed.

Hereís the rub. I brought my car in last Monday morning, and by Friday I was being told that they still have not diagnosed the problem. I hesitate to complain too loudly because I was given a quite decent rental at no charge (which I am still driving), but itís still disconcerting to have my car in the shop for an entire week and be no closer to a fix, or even an explanation.

Iíve seen posts on this forum regarding the same transmission problem as mine, but itís not clear how/if they got resolved.

Has anyone managed to get a diagnosis and fix for it? If so, Iíd certainly like to hear about it, because at this point Iím not sure how long my car will be in for service, and not especially confident it will be fixed when I finally get it back.

Thanks,

Joe

Interesting, this is the first manual transmission I can recall being reported with an issue. Plenty of DDCT discussions. Some of the Fiat people on here I'm sure can help push things along if it goes on too much longer.

FiatCares
04-20-2015, 11:09 AM
I’ve had my 6-speed manual 500L for almost a year. Almost as soon as I got it, I sometimes noticed a terrible groan coming from the transmission when I was reversing on an incline. I have also experienced this issue when decelerating while downshifting from 4th to 3rd.

I’m not a mechanic so don’t know if the problem lies with the clutch, the shift linkage, or some other part of the transmission, but I can clearly see that both of these scenarios involve the weight of the car being shifted forward (and the gearshift in an upward position, though I’m not sure if that part is relevant or just a coincidence).

Anyway, after bring my car in for service on a couple of occasions and being told once they couldn’t reproduce the problem and then that the sound was somehow normal (which it surely is not), I finally got my dealer to acknowledge that there is a problem and that it needs to be fixed.

Here’s the rub. I brought my car in last Monday morning, and by Friday I was being told that they still have not diagnosed the problem. I hesitate to complain too loudly because I was given a quite decent rental at no charge (which I am still driving), but it’s still disconcerting to have my car in the shop for an entire week and be no closer to a fix, or even an explanation.

I’ve seen posts on this forum regarding the same transmission problem as mine, but it’s not clear how/if they got resolved.

Has anyone managed to get a diagnosis and fix for it? If so, I’d certainly like to hear about it, because at this point I’m not sure how long my car will be in for service, and not especially confident it will be fixed when I finally get it back.

Thanks,

Joe

Hi Joe,
Could you please PM me with your VIN#, contact information, and the name of the FIAT Studio that you are currently working with so that I can look into this for you?

Rally500
04-20-2015, 06:26 PM
I’ve had my 6-speed manual 500L for almost a year. Almost as soon as I got it, I sometimes noticed a terrible groan coming from the transmission when I was reversing on an incline. I have also experienced this issue when decelerating while downshifting from 4th to 3rd.

I’m not a mechanic so don’t know if the problem lies with the clutch, the shift linkage, or some other part of the transmission, but I can clearly see that both of these scenarios involve the weight of the car being shifted forward (and the gearshift in an upward position, though I’m not sure if that part is relevant or just a coincidence).

Anyway, after bring my car in for service on a couple of occasions and being told once they couldn’t reproduce the problem and then that the sound was somehow normal (which it surely is not), I finally got my dealer to acknowledge that there is a problem and that it needs to be fixed.

Here’s the rub. I brought my car in last Monday morning, and by Friday I was being told that they still have not diagnosed the problem. I hesitate to complain too loudly because I was given a quite decent rental at no charge (which I am still driving), but it’s still disconcerting to have my car in the shop for an entire week and be no closer to a fix, or even an explanation.

I’ve seen posts on this forum regarding the same transmission problem as mine, but it’s not clear how/if they got resolved.

Has anyone managed to get a diagnosis and fix for it? If so, I’d certainly like to hear about it, because at this point I’m not sure how long my car will be in for service, and not especially confident it will be fixed when I finally get it back.

Thanks,

Joe
Hi there if I m not mistaken there are 2 threads on that same issue,I bought my car July 2013 and since day 1 I have that issue mostly in reverse but it happened on downshift too,we with other members complained about it and some people got there clutch replaced even 1 person twice without solving the issue.Fiatcare pm me and order a clutch for my car wich they sent to my studio,I m trained technician myself I asked if part number was updated and they said no so my studio and me agreed to not replace yet since no update part available,I personally think that it s not normal as well I suggested a few possible ways to fix it and nobody at the studio or Fiatcare pursue further investigation to solve this annoying issue or keep us posted.

Now i ask Fiatcare to go further and find a solution and "LET US KNOW" since a lot of people complained about it ! If Fiatcare need input just PM me
Thanks

Blk500L
04-22-2015, 01:52 PM
I've been have this problem for the longest time, the sad part is the dealer acknowledged the problem but refuses to do anything about it... And that to me is very sad

Macphisto
04-27-2015, 12:04 PM
What kind of grinding are you guys experiencing. I have the same issue when backing up in an incline but to me the sound is almost like the brake pads and disk rubbing together and producing a low pitch noise. It doesn't sound like grinding to me.

Rally500
04-27-2015, 06:54 PM
What kind of grinding are you guys experiencing. I have the same issue when backing up in an incline but to me the sound is almost like the brake pads and disk rubbing together and producing a low pitch noise. It doesn't sound like grinding to me.
Hi there no it's a loud noise from gearbox clutch area especially when you have to do it on a steep incline you have to be on the load.

ManOfStealth
05-07-2015, 01:34 AM
There are more threads on this issue. My car did the same thing and I printed out the forum thread and took it to the dealership. They were able to recreate the noise and after a short time in the service area I had a new clutch and plate ordered in. Took a while for parts as they came from Serbia of all places. My car had a low VIN# and I thing the new builds are not having this issue. Car works fine now.

Rally500
05-11-2015, 06:11 PM
Hi how long the clutch had been replaced? I m asking because there s one tread the person they replaced twice and problem came back after a while.Thanks for info.

MoranJ2000
05-25-2015, 10:41 PM
Hi how long the clutch had been replaced? I m asking because there s one tread the person they replaced twice and problem came back after a while.Thanks for info.

Itís been a while, but I just wanted to post an update re: the status of my 500L manual transmission backward groan issue.

Ultimately, the dealer had my car just a day shy of three weeks. According to my paperwork, they replaced the clutch, the flywheel, and the actuator.

Long story short, itís been almost a month since I got the car back. In that time Iíve not heard the groan, and I donít think I ever went more than a week or two without hearing it before the repair, so it looks like they got it fixed.

I want to publicly thank Erica from FIATCares, who contacted the dealer on my behalf and I believe put them in touch with escalated technical support resources.

Although I wasnít thrilled to be without my L for the nearly three weeks it took identify and correct this problem, the dealer (FIAT of Ft. Myers) did right by me, giving me a solid rental (Chrysler 200ógreat car) and ultimately fixed the issue, so Iím quite satisfied.

Here's hoping the issue doesn't recur...

Joe

FiatCares
05-26-2015, 09:07 AM
It’s been a while, but I just wanted to post an update re: the status of my 500L manual transmission backward groan issue.

Ultimately, the dealer had my car just a day shy of three weeks. According to my paperwork, they replaced the clutch, the flywheel, and the actuator.

Long story short, it’s been almost a month since I got the car back. In that time I’ve not heard the groan, and I don’t think I ever went more than a week or two without hearing it before the repair, so it looks like they got it fixed.

I want to publicly thank Erica from FIATCares, who contacted the dealer on my behalf and I believe put them in touch with escalated technical support resources.

Although I wasn’t thrilled to be without my L for the nearly three weeks it took identify and correct this problem, the dealer (FIAT of Ft. Myers) did right by me, giving me a solid rental (Chrysler 200—great car) and ultimately fixed the issue, so I’m quite satisfied.

Here's hoping the issue doesn't recur...

Joe

I'm so glad everything worked out and you are happy with your L again! Please don't hesitate to reach out if you ever need assistance in the future :)

jtumlnison73
05-26-2015, 04:33 PM

Thanks,

Joe

I too am experiencing the "groan" when reversing on a minor incline. I am also experiencing problems with the radio/uconnect and the climate controls. My dealer says the climate control issue is "normal operation" and there is nothing they can do. I don't see how the climate control switching from defrost to whatever it wants as normal operation. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

FiatCares
05-27-2015, 08:09 AM
Hi jtumlnison73 ,
Could you please PM me your VIN#, contact information, and the name of the FIAT studio you are working with so that I can look into your concerns further?

Blk500L
05-27-2015, 01:13 PM
The worst part is when they acknowledge that there is a problem but refuse to do anything about it, which is my case

Trunkout
05-27-2015, 01:18 PM
The worst part is when they acknowledge that there is a problem but refuse to do anything about it, which is my case

Um... did you see the third post where Fiat responded???
Did you read ANY of this post before badmouthing Fiat on a Fiat forum???

slowbird
05-27-2015, 01:27 PM

They may have responded to someone else's problems but maybe Fiat isn't acknowledging a problem that Blk500L is dealing with.

I wouldn't call what he is saying "badmouthing" Fiat, but even if he was, as a Fiat owner it's his right.

Blk500L
05-27-2015, 08:49 PM

Well not sure why all the anger, first of all I'm not badmouthing fiat, but my comment was towards the studio that I'm dealing with. I've got nothing against Fiat as I love the cars, I've owned Italian cars for all the years I've been driving, and still have an Alfa Romeo 164S, a Fiat 124 spider and a Lancia delta ( former rally car) that I personally imported from Italy a few years ago. Having said that I have contacted Fiat care once and thanks to them the dealer acknowledged that indeed there is a problem with the car, but they won't replace the clutch etc.. As according to them there's no point as the problem would just come back. So according to them I'm supposed to keep the car the way it is. But despite that I would recommend Fiat to anyone that asks me any time

Rally500
05-28-2015, 06:01 PM
Hi there,is it possible for FiatCare to check if it's improved parts that have been installed on his car?
That would be awesome.
Thanks

Rally500
08-23-2015, 01:07 PM
There s a new part number for clutch kit I want to thank Longue Pointe Fiat dealer for replacement of the clutch kit and so far the noise did I not came back and no more clutch smell and transmission shifts better too.

DeSoulo
08-23-2015, 05:05 PM
Would you please post the new part number to the clutch kit, Thanks!

Pionieri Tridentina
10-21-2015, 07:53 AM
I have the same issue, I have a standard Trekking, did a retro for the 1st time on a steep incline a week ago, and the noise scared me. Thanks for this forum for sharing. I will go back to the Studio asap.

FiatCares
10-21-2015, 03:07 PM
Hi Pionieri Tridentina ,
Please keep us posted on the outcome at the studio and let me know if I can be of any assistance!

Pionieri Tridentina
10-21-2015, 10:18 PM
Hi Pionieri Tridentina ,
Please keep us posted on the outcome at the studio and let me know if I can be of any assistance!

si senz'altro vi terro' informati, yes i will keep you posted and many grazie for the support

Pionieri Tridentina
11-19-2015, 12:22 PM
Hi Pionieri Tridentina ,

Well, I went to Fiat and the groan-ing is gone, we were not able to recreate it, I tried again on my home steep driveway, no way, trasmission noise is gone. So I hope this problem is gone, but in the meantime I have another one and I need your help with the Studio: passenger side heat is not working, blowing cold a/c all the time, and here on Long Island NY this is a serious problem in November. I'll send you a priv. message.

tltedder
10-16-2017, 04:34 PM
My 2014 is currently having this same issue and the dodge dealership has had it for 5 weeks now trying to figure it out.

MoranJ2000
10-17-2017, 02:16 PM
My 2014 is currently having this same issue and the dodge dealership has had it for 5 weeks now trying to figure it out.

That's about how long they had mine (also a 2014), but I always assumed most of that time was research and diagnostics and/or waiting for parts rather than actively performing repairs. Also, this was over three years ago when I first got the car. Hard to believe it should take five weeks to fix this issue now, as the cause of the problem is not a mystery and has been documented numerous times.

I would get FIATCares (on this forum) involved to light a fire under the dealer.

super15066
10-20-2017, 10:47 PM
I took my L a couple weeks ago to fix the groaning issue and it is finally gone! What a relief, they had to replace the clutch release bearing (wore prematurely and was leaking), clutch assembly and flywheel. With all 3 replaced under warranty noise is no where to be heard and it only took my car 1 week for all the work, 5 weeks seems unnecessary.

tltedder
10-25-2017, 02:21 PM
How do I get FiatCares involved?