PDA

View Full Version : LATimes likes the AWD 500x

Andree
04-17-2015, 11:41 PM
"I was more impressed in a second X with the all-wheel-drive version. The four-wheel footing made the car seem quicker and considerably more nimble on the pavement."

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-fiat-500x-review-20150417-story.html

neubauerjoseph
04-19-2015, 11:48 AM
well andree, I was reading the LA Times artical. I liked there take, I think that the LA Times did a much better job of talking about the new 500x than motor trend. What does Motortrend have against Fiat? anyway I really plan on buying the 500x sometime this year. anyway have you heard if Fiat is doing some kind of special like they did with the 500L, or maybe they are doing a launch editon? but as of now I think they are not doing anything now.

aelfwyne
04-19-2015, 01:39 PM
That wheel gap!

Plus, he already had a negative comment on the trans "clunking" into gear. Wait till CR gets a hold of that, and they'll start the dogpile.

Joe
04-19-2015, 08:00 PM
Consumer Reports is picking up a 500X and 4C from my studio on April 29th.

Trunkout
04-19-2015, 08:15 PM
Consumer Reports is picking up a 500X and 4C from my studio on April 29th.

Oh.... that 4C is sex. Saw and heard it in person. I am proud to know my Abarth is in it's family! Come on... they share mirrors and fender markers!
I WISH there was a way to make my exhaust sound THAT good.....

Andree
04-19-2015, 09:37 PM
That wheel gap!

Plus, he already had a negative comment on the trans "clunking" into gear. Wait till CR gets a hold of that, and they'll start the dogpile.

Not to worry. Consumer Reports has changed. I used to have a lot of faith in their reviews. But their top pick for 2015 cars is a $90,000 car. That's beyond so many buyers, it's not even funny. It's a luxury electric vehicle.

I'm remembering back to the time when they had top rated cars like the Toyota Starlet, which became the Tercel. An entry level economy car, with great mpg.

Maybe it was the cars and the past levels of safety and pollution standards, as to why there were so many lower priced "good" cars. But now it seems CR caters to the wealthier groups, with products out of my price range across the board.

It's all about high end. Who pays $8,000 for a fridge? LOL It's a FRIDGE for crying out loud. I don't even have my fridge turned ON right now, there's nothing I need to refrigerate or freeze.
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2015/04/10-luxury-appliances-that-are-worth-every-penny/index.htm

CR headed off into rich land, where the top rated items are very expensive, and not what I would consider options for large numbers of people. The median household income in the US is around $52,000, meaning half of the households in the US are making less. I'm pretty sure none of the people making less are considering a $90,000 electric car or an $8,000 fridge.

Comparing the 500x to a $90,000 car isn't going to be favorable. I think we know that well in advance.

Tweak
04-19-2015, 09:39 PM
Oh.... that 4C is sex. Saw and heard it in person. I am proud to know my Abarth is in it's family! Come on... they share mirrors and fender markers!
I WISH there was a way to make my exhaust sound THAT good.....

Maybe window switches as well. ;)

Fiat500USA
04-19-2015, 11:40 PM
Consumer reports rating sports cars.... That's a good one. yelrotflmao-vi They will complain the 4C trunk is too small, the engine too loud, the steering too heavy. Pretty much what everyone else loves about the car. Remember, they tested a 500 Sport and complained about the ride, yet failed to point out the car had a sports suspension. They also said the Fiat X1/9 - one of the best handling cars of its day and an acclaimed sports car - had dangerous handling. They also trashed Fiat before they even started selling the 500, yet in the 1970s, they had Fiats listed among their recommended models. I could go on. They probably know about testing toasters and things like that,, but I find the car tests biased with preconceived opinions and done without an open mind.

Andree
04-20-2015, 07:34 AM
Consumer reports rating sports cars.... That's a good one. yelrotflmao-vi They will complain the 4C trunk is too small, the engine too loud, the steering too heavy. Pretty much what everyone else loves about the car. Remember, they tested a 500 Sport and complained about the ride, yet failed to point out the car had a sports suspension. They also said the Fiat X1/9 - one of the best handling cars of its day and an acclaimed sports car - had dangerous handling. They also trashed Fiat before they even started selling the 500, yet in the 1970s, they had Fiats listed among their recommended models. I could go on. They probably know about testing toasters and things like that,, but I find the car tests biased with preconceived opinions and done without an open mind.

And the toaster will cost a grand.

neubauerjoseph
04-20-2015, 09:59 PM

At first I thought the 500x was going to be just a 500l with a different body when I saw it at the la auto show, but no it's a totally different car. I think the 500x is the nicest fiat I have ever seen. I was reminded of the jeep Cherokee. I think fiat did a great job on the design of the 500X. It's the best looking crossover so far. I think it doesn't have a bad side. Also people complain that it's too expensive I was looking at the trims correct me if I am wrong but I saw in the fiat website that you can get nav with most trims you can get the easy or lunge or trekking, I was cuv shopping to get nav you must get the top trim. I have been looking at vw, ford, Honda, Chevy , jeep . So I think it's a good deal

Trunkout
04-20-2015, 11:02 PM
At first I thought the 500x was going to be just a 500l with a different body when I saw it at the la auto show, but no it's a totally different car. I think the 500x is the nicest fiat I have ever seen. I was reminded of the jeep Cherokee. I think fiat did a great job on the design of the 500X. It's the best looking crossover so far. I think it doesn't have a bad side. Also people complain that it's too expensive I was looking at the trims correct me if I am wrong but I saw in the fiat website that you can get nav with most trims you can get the easy or lunge or trekking, I was cuv shopping to get nav you must get the top trim. I have been looking at vw, ford, Honda, Chevy , jeep . So I think it's a good deal

Do some research... It basically IS a Jeep!

Fiat500USA
04-20-2015, 11:17 PM
Do some research... It basically IS a Jeep!

It uses the same mechanicals but is tuned much differently. The Fiat is set up for street performance and handling whereas the Jeep is aimed at being more traditional with good off-road capability. The Fiat has a very European feel to it, which is natural because that is what it is.

Andree
04-21-2015, 12:08 AM
It uses the same mechanicals but is tuned much differently. The Fiat is set up for street performance and handling whereas the Jeep is aimed at being more traditional with good off-road capability. The Fiat has a very European feel to it, which is natural because that is what it is.

This is what I like about the current incarnation of Fiat. I haven't really followed other automakers that much, but I really like the idea of taking basic ingredients and using them to create vastly different vehicles. It's like pasta dishes (which I think of as being mostly Italian, but maybe they're not) and fashion. It's all in the spicing up and the styling that changes one dish or outfit from another to be a totally different thing.

The possibilities are really endless. Using that same platform and same engine, what could we do with that? We could do a car-truck. With two, three, or four doors. We could do a coupe. A four door sedan. A convertible that seats two with a big trunk and luxury appointments. All of which would work well with the Tigershark engine, automatic transmission, AWD.

A convertible with the retractable hardtop would eat up the space for the trunk, but would be a better seller for all those climates where it snows or rains. Because of the AWD and the ability to USE the car in winter.

Each one getting a little more or less spice or comfort or suspension stiffness.

It's thriftier, to reuse the BIG parts like the engine, transmission, platform. It makes it so much easier to work on a vehicle at a dealership too, with one main engine to focus on. One transmission.

It gives the general public a lot more choice.

And I think it's a step in the direction of meeting fuel economy goals. Get one engine that works well for many styles, and work on that engine to be as fuel efficient as possible. I think that our future choices will be less focused on engines and more on styles. Just because of the fuel efficiency requirements.

Additionally, the add-ons will help create an even more personalized vehicle. Both manufacturer and after-market items being used to create the car you want.

Fiat is already doing this, with the trims in the 500, 500L and 500x, also the Jeep Renegade. Many choices with each group.

Still wanting a super fuel efficient model of some kind, probably as much as other folks are wanting a super performance version. I'm not too sure we'll get either in North America, even though they are in Europe.

This is one of those times I wish there was some EASY way to "Design a vehicle" that started with the 500x/Renegade platform, including the engine and transmission. So we could drag points around to make the new body style and see what we come up with. Even just a 2-D side view would be fun. Because I just discovered that my automotive artistic skills are similar to my stick figure people drawings. Who's down for oval wheels with flat spots?

rustbucket
04-21-2015, 11:23 AM

Previous FIAT's (500, 500L) have been designed for Europe and then adapted/modified for the North American market. The 500X is the first Fiat designed from the ground up with the U.S. market in mind and it shows in its styling, size, powertrain and feature set. I think it will do well for FIAT in the U.S. (provided they get a relatively trouble free launch) but not as well as FCA execs think. Part of the problem is a motoring press that seems to have two strikes against FIAT before they even test the vehicle. The other is this market segment is getting insanely competitive with lots of new competitors- my guess is the new Honda HR-V will be the 800 pound gorilla in the room.

neubauerjoseph
05-04-2015, 12:55 AM
Previous FIAT's (500, 500L) have been designed for Europe and then adapted/modified for the North American market. The 500X is the first Fiat designed from the ground up with the U.S. market in mind and it shows in its styling, size, powertrain and feature set. I think it will do well for FIAT in the U.S. (provided they get a relatively trouble free launch) but not as well as FCA execs think. Part of the problem is a motoring press that seems to have two strikes against FIAT before they even test the vehicle. The other is this market segment is getting insanely competitive with lots of new competitors- my guess is the new Honda HR-V will be the 800 pound gorilla in the room.

well I would like to see how the fiat 500x drives but I think I should like the way it drives. as far as the motor press I think the hardest thing is to accept the fiat brand. but I think that once Fiat bring a full line of cars and word of month gets out. people attitude might change. But I think people might have a difference of option after success the 500x. I really like the 500x so far I am waiting to see the the plubic thinks of it? do you guys think that fiat is still a nich brand? so Far I don't like the honda HRV I think the touchscreen system looks like a aftermarket that honda just put in there cars not like chevy or FCA Uconnect or ford. I personal think the Uconnect is my favorite system to use. but I think that Fiat will have success with this product. But also I think Fiat should make a Midsize crossover to a next class up 500x. because that is a popular selling car right now. what do you guys think?