PDA

View Full Version : Keep white rims clean?

Trunkout
04-16-2015, 08:43 PM
Right now I use a microfiber cloth and a wand with microfiber "fingers".

What does everyone use? For daily cleaning? For deep cleaning?

what's the best low dust pad brake pads?

thanks in advance!

SweetSandMan
04-16-2015, 09:41 PM
I've heard wheel wax works wonders on making cleaning a breeze. Just a quick rinse and done.

But I'm lazy so that's why I'm taking my white wheels off here once my new tires are mounted to my new wheels.

J.Peterman
04-17-2015, 08:17 AM
I have white wheels and the dust was overwhelming so I switched to EBC "red stuff". They will take up to 1000 miles to bed-in and until they do, they'll produce as much dust as the factory pads but after they bed, they'll only produce a small fraction of the amount of dust that you presently see. The dust from the ceramic pads is also much finer; not thick like the factory pads. I only changed my front pads since the rears don't throw much dust but I've listed the part numbers for the front & rear, if you decide to also change the rear pads.

Abarth model only ceramic brake pads
EBC Brand
Front; DP31375C EBC Redstuff Ceramic Low Dust Brake Pads;
Rear; DP31880C EBC Redstuff Ceramic Low Dust Brake Pads;

Trunkout
04-17-2015, 10:02 AM
I have white wheels and the dust was overwhelming so I switched to EBC "red stuff". They will take up to 1000 miles to bed-in and until they do, they'll produce as much dust as the factory pads but after they bed, they'll only produce a small fraction of the amount of dust that you presently see. The dust from the ceramic pads is also much finer; not thick like the factory pads. I only changed my front pads since the rears don't throw much dust but I've listed the part numbers for the front & rear, if you decide to also change the rear pads.

Abarth model only ceramic brake pads
EBC Brand
Front; DP31375C EBC Redstuff Ceramic Low Dust Brake Pads;
Rear; DP31880C EBC Redstuff Ceramic Low Dust Brake Pads;

Above and beyond! Thank you sir!

Klasse Act
04-17-2015, 11:30 AM
Those of you with white wheels NEED to check out Meguiar's DUB wheel cleaner! Right now its on sale at Advance Auto parts for $5.00 bottle, 23 oz bottle at that. The regular price of $8.99 is still half of what its competitors cost and you get more product and its available over the counter. This product sprays on green and then turns red when it finds and starts breaking down iron and dirty deposits, you can see it working. I should say though that the smell is strong, so either use outside or with the garage door open. On really bad wheels some aggitation is needed but then again that's a given. I have several brushes I use but one that works great for the spoked 17's I also bought from AA, cost about $9.00 IIRC. Its got these mf fingers on one side and flat on the other, plus you can bend it also, check it out.

As far as waxing the wheels, well, I'd use whatever you using on your car instead of buying a designated wheel wax, its what I do and have never had an issue keeping my wheels clean. Check out www.autogeek.net for more info.

Trunkout
04-17-2015, 11:39 AM
Thanks Klasse I'll check that out! I have that brush from AA with the "fingers". LOVE IT.

Trunkout
04-17-2015, 03:41 PM
Got the last two bottles! 10 bucks! AWESOME.

Scarecrow23
04-17-2015, 05:03 PM
Those of you with white wheels NEED to check out Meguiar's DUB wheel cleaner! Right now its on sale at Advance Auto parts for $5.00 bottle, 23 oz bottle at that. The regular price of $8.99 is still half of what its competitors cost and you get more product and its available over the counter. This product sprays on green and then turns red when it finds and starts breaking down iron and dirty deposits, you can see it working. I should say though that the smell is strong, so either use outside or with the garage door open. On really bad wheels some aggitation is needed but then again that's a given. I have several brushes I use but one that works great for the spoked 17's I also bought from AA, cost about $9.00 IIRC. Its got these mf fingers on one side and flat on the other, plus you can bend it also, check it out.

As far as waxing the wheels, well, I'd use whatever you using on your car instead of buying a designated wheel wax, its what I do and have never had an issue keeping my wheels clean. Check out www.autogeek.net (http://www.autogeek.net) for more info. Awsome! my Red wheels are just as bad as white ones to keep clean so i'm gonna stop by local Autoparts on my way home today and pick some up, will post my results for others :)

NeroHero
04-17-2015, 05:09 PM
Keep brake dust down by not braking. Simple.:lala:

I'm probably going to switch to Akebono pads when I get the chance. I used to get them through Tirerack for my previous vehicles and they had very minimal brake dust.

gundam2000
04-17-2015, 05:29 PM
I used a huge layer of wax. it makes it easier to clean. this is my second car with white wheels.

Trunkout
04-17-2015, 08:41 PM
Thanks everyone! Great tips and info!

Klasse Act
04-17-2015, 11:29 PM
I would like to see the DUB at work on the white wheels, maybe a before, during and after shot!

Trunkout
04-18-2015, 12:36 AM
I would like to see the DUB at work on the white wheels, maybe a before, during and after shot!

rain is forecast here in KC. I will post up after the rain when they are good and dirty! Promise!

Trunkout
04-20-2015, 03:05 PM
review: Meguiar's DUB Wheel Cleaner. First of all this stuff MUST be used OUTSIDE! MY GOD it stinks to holy hell!
on the other hand... it works REALLY, MAGICALLY, well!!

before (note finger smear lower right), applied, during, after:

Comes out kinda thick and green. As it's working it turns purple. Spray it off and BRAND NEW RIMS!
Seriously.... I need to see if I can get this in a 55 gallon drum.....

Klasse Act
04-21-2015, 08:54 AM
review: Meguiar's DUB Wheel Cleaner. First of all this stuff MUST be used OUTSIDE! MY GOD it stinks to holy hell!
on the other hand... it works REALLY, MAGICALLY, well!!

before (note finger smear lower right), applied, during, after:

Comes out kinda thick and green. As it's working it turns purple. Spray it off and BRAND NEW RIMS!
Seriously.... I need to see if I can get this in a 55 gallon drum.....

Glad you like it!

I'm pretty sure Advance Auto parts still has it on sale for $5.00 a bottle, so stock up. It loos like the barrels came out great as well, did you aggitate them?

Trunkout
04-21-2015, 11:09 AM
simply spray on... wait till it's not green... spray it off.

I did do this at the car wash with a pressure sprayer.... but even with that I had to wipe off excess dust when I DIDN'T use the cleaner last time.

Klasse Act
04-21-2015, 09:47 PM
It says 3-5 minutes for the cleaner to stay on there, don't let it sit too long or ever put it on hot wheels.

Spyrule
06-24-2015, 04:54 PM
Two other options that work wondors:

Sonax Wheel cleaner to clean the wheels (sprays on green, turns blood red/purple as it works). It also doesn't smell like a dead animal.
I prefer to do a spray on all four rims, let it work for 10-15 minutes, rinse, move the car forward to rotate the tires for access, and spray a second round and rinse after 10 minutes.

https://www.eshine.ca/sonax_wheel_cleaner_full_effect_169oz-559.php

This gets the wheels insanely clean.

Once your done cleaning, dry the rims VERY well (if you have a compressor, to spray the water out from the bolts), get the rims COMPLETELY dry.

Then use (and I'm not kidding when I suggest this):

Armour All Wheel Protectant.
http://www.armorall.com/products/wheel-protectant/

I let it dry for an hour-two, and then put a second application. This will last 4-6 weeks no problem, and longer if you don't have uber brake dust problems.

The nice part, everything just washes off super easy while its in full effect (you can rinse your tires with a hose and they come out super white again).

- Spyrule

Trunkout
06-24-2015, 07:42 PM
Thanks for all that!
BUT....
I can get the Meguiars cleaner that does the same for 5 dollars a bottle.
I don't trust Armour All. Seen too many cracked dashes and tire sidewalls.

These white rims are a pain, though! :)

Purgatory
06-24-2015, 09:36 PM
Thanks for all that!
BUT....
I can get the Meguiars cleaner that does the same for 5 dollars a bottle.
I don't trust Armour All. Seen too many cracked dashes and tire sidewalls.

These white rims are a pain, though! :)

A pain? Yes. Knew that when I ordered my car, but I love the look, and get constant compliments, that's its worth all the hassle to me. To add to my woes, my wife's brand new 2015 500L has beautiful 17" factory rims that are silver spoked with white pockets, 17 of them I believe if I counted right. Now I have 8 white rims to keep clean. A glutton for punishment.

On the first pass, I take a soft microfiber rag and just wipe off the bulk of the brake dust and grime. Then I slightly dampen another rag, with a dye free type of glass cleaner, and wiped down the rims to pick off any remaining stain or hard to wipe dirt. This is usually enough to make the rims gleam. Then once a week, I use a McGuires (?) spray detail wax on the rims (not the tires), let it sit on for about 5 minutes, then with still another clean rag, make them shine like new. So for me to do my rims, I use at least 12 fresh rags.

I go through this routine at least twice a day. Not the waxing, that's just a once a week thing. Works for me, a full year later, my white rims looks as good as new. The real trick to me, is to never let them get too dirty to begin with, and as often as I clean them, that's usually the case. Rain is a deal breaker, as it prevents me from my cleaning routine, and the moisture makes the brake dust run down in rivers, making it more difficult to clean.

What I wouldn't give to have either a car port or a garage, could save myself a lot of trouble. Yes, I have a lot of time on my hands.

Trunkout
06-24-2015, 09:41 PM
What I wouldn't give to have either a car port or a garage, could save myself a lot of trouble. Yes, I have a lot of time on my hands.

Prerequisite of my living space. Garage attached. Duplexes are just right for me. Microfiber clothes are a MUST!

Purgatory
06-24-2015, 10:16 PM
I do one laundry load a week, just of my endless supply of car rags, micro-fibers, old towels, polishing cloths, etc. I have dozens and dozens of them, kind of an OCD thing, but harmless, and it keeps my rags from messing up any of our regular laundry. Btw, I do all the laundry in my home, well trained house slave, I am.

Spyrule
06-25-2015, 07:19 AM
I don't trust ( actually I detest) armour all for any of their other products, but the wheel protector actually works, with no damage at all. I've used it for 3-4 years now through Canadian winters on other rims that I had with my Subaru and it worked great (and that's in temp swings from -40' to +110'f, winter and summer)

Klasse Act
06-25-2015, 08:09 AM
Sonax is great wheel cleaner but its expensive @$20 compared to $9 for DUB wheel cleaner. Plus, the DUB is available OTC and you get more per ounce, no brainer IMO.

Spyrule
06-25-2015, 11:30 AM
I'm lucky... best friend owns an aftermarket car parts shop, so I get things at cost. Sonax at the same price as DUB, plus up in Canada, getting DUB is actually somewhat annoying to get.

Klasse Act
06-26-2015, 08:22 AM
I'm lucky... best friend owns an aftermarket car parts shop, so I get things at cost. Sonax at the same price as DUB, plus up in Canada, getting DUB is actually somewhat annoying to get.

"Annoying"...please explain, I'm curious. I'm glad you can get Sonax for the same price though, nothing wrong with that!

Spyrule
06-28-2015, 07:15 PM
"Annoying"...please explain, I'm curious. I'm glad you can get Sonax for the same price though, nothing wrong with that!

Its annoying because the only place I've found it in Canada is online. For some reason our local big box car shops (Canadian Tire) doesn't carry the DUB line of McGuire's stuff.

Mr. Francesco
08-03-2015, 12:16 AM
I just opt to not clean mine, or let it bother me.

It's a daily driver.

Trunkout
08-03-2015, 12:52 AM
I just opt to not clean mine, or let it bother me.

It's a daily driver.

just like all the women I see with black front rims.
there I said it...

Klasse Act
08-03-2015, 07:23 AM
"Its a daily driver", come on! DUB wheel cleaner is available over the counter and works great, would love to see it working on those "daily driver" wheels!! I know everyone is different with their rides but neglecting a nice set of wheels is crime, or it should be, LOL!

J.Peterman
08-03-2015, 07:45 AM
After my EBC resdstuff pads fully bedded in, the dust that the pads produce is now extremely minimal and consists of very fine particles. Before the EBC's were installed, the wheels would be absolutely filthy in just a couple of days of normal driving. I haven't washed my wheels in three weeks and they look great. If I touch them, there is a coating of very fine, light colored brake dust on them but you can't see it unless you bend over and look at them (around 12 inches away). I've read where two people have complained about the EBC redstuff pads but I've had absolutely zero problems with them and would put them on the car again if I needed replacements.
*And, I am also using Dub wheel cleaner when I clean the wheels. It's pretty good stuff at a reasonable price.

Purgatory
08-03-2015, 10:52 AM
"Its a daily driver", come on! DUB wheel cleaner is available over the counter and works great, would love to see it working on those "daily driver" wheels!! I know everyone is different with their rides but neglecting a nice set of wheels is crime, or it should be, LOL!

I agree. I cant even make myself drive to the corner store, unless my white rims are sparkling clean. It's an OCD thing with me. No point in having white rims on a car if they aren't going to be kept clean, my opinion. That's why those dark rims (popular trend) are at there. They look dirty and full of brake dust when they are clean.

My car is my DD, but its a question of personal pride how it looks when I drive it. Had it for 15 months so far, 18k miles, and it has to sit outside 24/7, so I have to work at it daily to keep the car looking like new

Trunkout
08-03-2015, 03:57 PM
OMG. Parked outside? I would die.....

tknospdr
08-03-2015, 05:02 PM
I don't have that much time on my hands, I know it's sad right? But I'm gonna look into some of the suggestions here.
My main issue right now is that one of my wheels got scraped up due to an automatic car wash and I'm totally bummed out about it.
Need to find out if it can be fixed or not. Also thinking of just doing black plastidip on them to cover the marks. It's highly irritating to me.

Klasse Act
08-04-2015, 09:32 AM
Its real easy guys, go to your local autoparts store, buy Meguiar's DUB wheel cleaner, drive home, let the wheels cool down, spray on the DUB, let it sit for 3-5 minutes and watch the stuff turn red, rinse down and dry and your done!

Mr. Francesco
08-04-2015, 10:08 AM
just like all the women I see with black front rims.
there I said it...

To each their own.

I went through that phase where I would wash my car once a week. I'm over it.

Trunkout
08-04-2015, 11:46 AM
Its real easy guys, go to your local autoparts store, buy Meguiar's DUB wheel cleaner, drive home, let the wheels cool down, spray on the DUB, let it sit for 3-5 minutes and watch the stuff turn red, rinse down and dry and your done!

too many steps/too much time.
wipe them down with a lightly moistened microfiber cloth.

Klasse Act
08-04-2015, 09:06 PM
too many steps/too much time.
wipe them down with a lightly moistened microfiber cloth.

Its not too many steps, spray on, let it sit, rinse and dry...done.

My2012Fiat
08-06-2015, 07:20 PM
Klasse Act -

I tried the Mequiar Dub Wheel Cleaner on my White Wheels and It doesn't work at all .

I also noted that Product starts to damage the finish of the Paint/ Powder Coating on the Wheels.

I contacted Meguiars about my Concern and they told me that I was using the wrong cleaner for my Wheels.

They Said for Painted or Powder Coated White Wheels and you are going to use Meguiars Product to only Use > Meguiars Hot Rims Aluminum Wheel Cleaner.

When they told me this - I am like Aluminum Wheel Cleaner and they said Yes because it does have the hard chemicals the product you are talking about has , etc.

So Far , it is doing a great Job of Cleaning but Still Takes Effort.

Oh BTW , that Armour ALL Wheel Protection Spray in a can doesn't work either.

The Best Way to keep the Wheels clean is to switch to Ceramic Brake Pad and Use the Correct Cleaner.

I am upgrading My 2015 Abarth Brakes to the Wilwood Brake System since it is make in the United States and parts are easier to get , etc.

I am going to Try Jetseal from Chemical Guy's or Hydro2 or the Wheel Wax that everyone is talking about and see what happens.

I hope this information is helpful to someone out there

As far as waxing the wheels, well, I'd use whatever you using on your car instead of buying a designated wheel wax, its what I do and have never had an issue keeping my wheels clean. Check out www.autogeek.net for more info.

Trunkout
08-06-2015, 07:28 PM
Used it on my whites several times (3 bottles now) no issues to report.

J.Peterman
08-06-2015, 08:05 PM
I have also used a couple of bottle of "Dub" on white wheels with ZERO problems. I don't spray it on hot wheels and I don't leave it on for a long time. My wheels look as good as the day that I bought the car (a year ago). Dub is the most effective wheel cleaner that I've found and I've tried over five brands including Griot's Garage and Chemical Guys.

Spyrule
08-06-2015, 09:15 PM

Oh BTW , that Armour ALL Wheel Protection Spray in a can doesn't work either.

Well, that spray isn't a CLEANER... at all. It's made to be applied AFTER you have cleaned the wheels thoroughly, dried them, THEN apply this stuff in 1-2 liberal coats (I wait 5 minutes between coats). So far, I've shown
people my wheels after 4 weeks and they are amazed at how clean they still are. Are they perfect... nope, but do they keep 95% of the brake dust/dirt off... Yup.

I'll take a picture tomorrow of my wheels, and I have not cleaned them since June 27th (last car show I attended), and it has been through dry and rain, dust dirt and pretty much most normal summer conditions except deep mud.

But to clarify.. it's NOT a cleaner. ONLY a protectant.

Trunkout
08-06-2015, 09:40 PM
You talking about this stuff?? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0035XGPNA?colid=76EUTGLRCT7X&coliid=IVDPGT2ZZ937V&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl

Spyrule
08-06-2015, 09:51 PM
Yup!

I had serious doubts about it too, until I tried it, and have been amazed at how well it works.

Trunkout
08-06-2015, 10:20 PM
Thanks! I'll try ANYTHING for white rims!!

Spyrule
08-06-2015, 10:23 PM
The real trick, MAKE SURE THE WHEEL IS DRY!!! Can't stress that enough. If you've got a compressor, use it to get in between the bolts, that's where a lot of water gets stuck.

Or take your rims off completely if your up for it, and do them that way (which allows you to protect the barrel as well, which makes them pop even more).

FYI, one can will do all 4 wheels and have some left over. If you want to apply a second coat, get a second can.

Trunkout
08-07-2015, 12:36 PM
Just applied! I will do a review in a couple of days.
And I just realized I left my Dub cleaner at the wash, yesterday.... damnit.....

Spyrule
08-07-2015, 12:54 PM
Sounds like you washed your wheels yesterday. I can only recommend that you wash, dry, apply all in one go without driving anywhere. As soon as you drive, break dust and dirt start to land on the wheels pretty much instantly. I used to go to the car wash, spray the wheels down (I use Sonax Wheel cleaner), wash the car, and back out of the wash bay, hand dry the car and wheels, and then immediately spray the tires. I found that if I drove (even 2 km's through a few sets of lights to get home) the wheels were already slightly dirty, and I'd have to carefully hand-wipe the whole wheel before applying the protectant.

Just a friendly suggestion.

Trunkout
08-07-2015, 01:07 PM
All good man! Washed yesterday. Stays in garage and I work from home.
wiped them down again just before applying.

Ucello
08-07-2015, 01:18 PM
Just paint them every weekend...

Spyrule
08-07-2015, 01:27 PM
Just paint them every weekend...

http://cdn-www.i-am-bored.com/media/thumbnails/funny-gifs351[1].gif

Purgatory
08-07-2015, 11:03 PM
Just finished cleaning mine for the 2nd time today. Earlier, it was to get off the brake dust from yesterday evening driving. This evening, it had rained earlier, and had wet brake dust to clean off. Taking off early in the morning, and knew I wouldn't have time to clean them before leaving. I can't stand the thought of leaving my driveway with dirty rims, I would end up turning around and going back to clean them.

Spyrule
08-08-2015, 01:12 AM
You need therapy...

Purgatory
08-08-2015, 08:31 PM
perhaps. been super detailing my cars since I was 18, so been like this for 45 years, not going to change now. just spent 90 minutes detailing my car before dark tonight. but I am harmless. if I had a garage or car port, wouldn't have to work at this so much, but my car is open to the elements all the time.

Fiat500USA
08-08-2015, 08:52 PM
I love cleaning my cars, so I can relate! I just wish I had the time to. My goal this year is to spend more time with my cars - and keep my wheels clean! LOL

Spyrule
08-09-2015, 12:55 AM
Here is a pic of my fronts after more then4 weeks with no cleaning wiping etc at all. Thank you armourall wheel protectant!
And rear

Trunkout
08-09-2015, 02:36 PM
I am SOLD. Four days and rain and they look this good still???

Spyrule
08-09-2015, 04:11 PM
I am SOLD. Four days and rain and they look this good still???

Nono, not four days, closer to 5-6 WEEKS!

June 27th to be exact.

Trunkout
08-09-2015, 04:49 PM
I'm saying mine! If they can go TWO days ( let alone weeks ) it's worth the money to me!
like I would change my route for less braking and dust before!
but even thru rain it held up.
GOOD SHIZ!!

Trunkout
08-09-2015, 07:05 PM
Stop the presses!!!
I see no need to buy a cleaner now!
the Armour All Wheel Protectant made my wheels TOO EASY to clean! Power wash and hardly ANY wipe down after.
just apply that crap like PAINT when clean and dry!

Spyrule
08-09-2015, 08:24 PM
I don't recommend to power wash them. Just a simple hose pressure is more then enough. Pressure wash will diminish the effect much more quickly.

However, yup... it really does work wonders.

J.Peterman
08-10-2015, 07:16 AM
NEVER power wash car wheels. Sooner or later, you'll get water past the seals and you'll ruin the wheel bearings. Every car & motorcycle forum that I've ever been on has had people who complained about noises from their wheels and in almost every case, when asked if they power washed their wheels, the answer was yes. When I first bought my Abarth, someone posted on one of the three forums that they were having wheel problems and more than a handful of people asked if they were power washing their wheels.............and they were. I learned this the hard way over 40 years ago when I would take my dirt bikes (while still on the trailer) to a car wash and I would power wash all the dirt away. It didn't take long to figure out why my wheel bearing were destroyed. When I told my riding buddies what I had done, they got a huge laugh and called me a big dummy. They said, didn't you know not to do that because it's common knowledge. Apparently, I didn't get the memo back then. LOL Anyway, Do Not power wash your wheels.

Trunkout
08-10-2015, 08:58 AM
So now.... After 30 years of cleaning my rims the same... And never having bearing issues... I should stop?

Spyrule
08-10-2015, 03:00 PM
Pressure washing car bearing and bike bearings are very different things. A bikes bearings are much more exposed then an automotive bearing set. As long as you've got your wheel center cap on, it's pretty low chance of damaging your bearings.

On our cars, the most problematic thing is popping the ABS sensor wire off from what I understand.

Also, if your pressure washing a wheel, no don't use 4000psi 3 inches from the center hub, that's just stupid. But a 1500-1800 psi from 2-3 feet away with a wide stream is perfectly fine. Been using that since I owned cars, as well as my fathers cars, and not once have we ever had that as an issue.

The other difference is the age of the car. A car built in the 60-80's have VERY different manufacturing tolerances then a car build today. CNC computers can create parts literally 1000's of times more accurate then we could even 20 years ago, not to mention the use of better synthetic greases, and rubbers/seals that use better/more durable plastics and synthetic rubbers that have much better tolerances then they did in the past. This all adds up to stronger/more resilient seals. Now, on the flip side, parts are made more fragile then in the past because of those high tolerances, but that's the trade off.

Fiat500USA
08-10-2015, 03:12 PM
My main concern with pressure washing wheels would be getting high pressure water past the boots protecting the caliper guide pins. You really have to be careful with a pressure washer near these parts.

Spyrule
08-10-2015, 03:22 PM
Do you mean the break piston boots?

J.Peterman
08-10-2015, 03:41 PM
There was a member on one of the forums (can't remember which one) within the last year who was power washing his wheels and having wheel bearing problems. The dealership fixed it under warranty but told him to stop because they wouldn't repair them a second time due to using a power washer on his wheels.
A lot of the wheel bearings on automobiles now come with soft lip seals to retain the grease and prevent dirt ingress. Power washers (home or the ones at commercial, do-it-yourself washes) can damage the seal lips and cause premature failiure of the bearings, due to subsequent loss of lubrication or water corrosion. Obviously, on much older vehicles that don't have any seals at all, this problem is exacerbated

Spyrule
08-10-2015, 04:07 PM
There was a member on one of the forums (can't remember which one) within the last year who was power washing his wheels and having wheel bearing problems. The dealership fixed it under warranty but told him to stop because they wouldn't repair them a second time due to using a power washer on his wheels.
A lot of the wheel bearings on automobiles now come with soft lip seals to retain the grease and prevent dirt ingress. Power washers (home or the ones at commercial, do-it-yourself washes) can damage the seal lips and cause premature failiure of the bearings, due to subsequent loss of lubrication or water corrosion. Obviously, on much older vehicles that don't have any seals at all, this problem is exacerbated

While I have heard of this happening, the two people who I've known to have issues, were using very high PSI washers, and was getting much too close, with too fine of a stream (pinpoint pressure stream). So if you ignore common sense (which to me, tells me never to use pinpoint washing on a car ever), and only use a 3-4" wide stream at the FINEST, and ALWAYS at minimum 2-3 feet away from whatever your spraying you should be fine. There is massive difference between even 1800 and 2400 psi when it comes to water pressure. Many people don't realize that, and use the wrong pressure for what they are doing.

J.Peterman
08-10-2015, 04:16 PM
spyrule: I totally agree with you. I have no way of knowing what psi people were using or how close they were getting to the wheel with the wand. I just know that I've read of it happening. Commercial (do it yourself) car washes are too much pressure to put very close to the wheel and I think (can't remember) that this is what the member who had wheel bearing problems was using. I've also read of people who had problems with their cars who used power washers at their home. Obviously, they got too close with a high psi power washer. Some people don't understand that if you're going to use a high power psi washer, you need to use the tip with the least amount of pressure and you need to keep it back far enough so you can't penetrate those seals. My personal power washer is a 3100 psi model and I wouldn't ever use it on my wheels at any distance because it's too powerful and If I stood ten feet away so it wouldn't push water past the seals, it wouldn't be as effective as a garden hose with a good sprayer that I can use just a few feet away.

Spyrule
08-10-2015, 04:41 PM
Well, even with a 3100, put a black nozzle on it (which should reduce the psi by opening the orifice, but generally increases the GPM). You might need to replace the main wand mechanism, but they do exists for different jobs.

A friend of mine has a gas powered 4100psi 5gpm washer, but uses a 1900psi with 8gpm wand the majority of the time to keep the pressure lower (mostly to prevent damage). But he goes to the higher PSI when he is washing his cedar fence.

Spyrule
08-10-2015, 04:44 PM
Here is a useful link that I bookmarked awhile back when I was researching pressure washers:

http://www.powerwash.com/articles/pressure-washing-tips-tricks-and-techniques-2.html

Klasse Act
08-11-2015, 11:13 AM
I see no need for power washing the wheels but if your at the quarter carwash just spray your wheels with the DUB wheel cleaner, let it sit and then go inside and rinse them down, maybe don't use the trigger if your that worried or stand further back, either way the quarter carwash isn't going to hurt your wheels, been using them since 1986 w/o any problems to wheel bearings.

Another thing you could do, if this concerns you, is to go to your local big box hardware store and buy yourself a 1 or 2 gallon hand pump used for gardening. I have one of these because I live in an apartment and detail cars on the side and take it with me all the time. I use it to rinse the tires, wheels and wheelwells down when doing a carwash and/or detail, works great and since its pretty low pressure coming out, no worries (if your worried)

IMO your hose isn't going to have enough pressure to hurt anything, just my .02 cents worth.

Spyrule
08-11-2015, 11:23 AM
A normal household hose is 40-60 psi, there is no way, that's powerful enough to get past the seals. maybe with a pin-hole and 1" away, but even that I doubt could do it.

A normal hose and spray head is more then enough most of the time.

Trunkout
08-11-2015, 04:37 PM
This Armour All Wheel Protectant is KILLING ME!!!
I have driven well over 200 miles, lots of braking on purpose...
WHITE rims still so clean I would literally eat off them.
thanks for the suggestion!
Can't recommend highly enough!

Purgatory
08-11-2015, 09:04 PM
Another trick I do sometimes, if you still have some slightly off-white stains even after cleaning the rims, is to use rubbing alcohol on a micro fiber rag. Does wonders of getting off those kinds of stains. I use the 90% kind, vs. the more common 70% type sold. Keep a bottle with my other detailing supplies. Works on other stubborn spots too.

Trunkout
08-11-2015, 11:10 PM
Purg... This stuff was MADE for you.... And white rims.
blown away.

Purgatory
08-12-2015, 12:51 AM
never have used that product, but willing to buy some and give it a whirl. we all end up being creatures of habit, not always easy for me to change old school ways of doing things, but even this old dog can learn a new trick. will get some tomorrow and see what it does

Bill_E
08-12-2015, 01:51 AM
This Armour All Wheel Protectant is KILLING ME!!!
I have driven well over 200 miles, lots of braking on purpose...
WHITE rims still so clean I would literally eat off them.
thanks for the suggestion!
Can't recommend highly enough!

What product/procedure is it you can't recommend enough? Have re-read some of the thread, but it's not clear if you're recommending Armor All Wheel protectant or what...

Thanks for clarifying!

Trunkout
08-12-2015, 10:35 AM
Armour All Wheel Protectant is Jesus Juice!!!!

Trunkout
08-12-2015, 10:37 AM
never have used that product, but willing to buy some and give it a whirl. we all end up being creatures of habit, not always easy for me to change old school ways of doing things, but even this old dog can learn a new trick. will get some tomorrow and see what it does

do it before bed. One coat like paint. Let dry an hour. Repeat. Then another coat and let dry overnight.
My rims are spotless approaching 300 miles since application!

tknospdr
08-12-2015, 11:41 AM
http://www.armorall.com/products/wheel-protectant/

This one, right?

Trunkout
08-12-2015, 02:53 PM
Yeah... There's a link to Amazon a couple of pages back I posted.

Spyrule
08-12-2015, 03:30 PM
Just remember that the wheels HAVE to be dry for it to work. air-blow around your bolts, air valve stem and center cap if you can.

Bill_E
08-18-2015, 01:20 AM
Getting the white wheels clean is very difficult! Auto Zone had a special on Black Magic products, so I figured I'd try their wheel cleaner. I wasn't impressed, especially since the bottle said no scrubbing would be needed. I was running out of time and patience, so I had to settle for about 80% - 90% clean. After drying the wheels, I did apply the Armour All Wheel Protectant, so we'll see if the wheels stay cleaner, longer.

We also have a 500 Sport and I have to say I've never noticed brake dust or grime on the sport's wheels. Are the brakes so different between the Sport and the Abarth? I'm wondering why Fiat even offered white wheels, they're so hard to clean. Anybody switched to brake pads that don't generate so much dust and grime on the wheels? Expensive??

J.Peterman
08-18-2015, 07:21 AM
Getting the white wheels clean is very difficult! Auto Zone had a special on Black Magic products, so I figured I'd try their wheel cleaner. I wasn't impressed, especially since the bottle said no scrubbing would be needed. I was running out of time and patience, so I had to settle for about 80% - 90% clean. After drying the wheels, I did apply the Armour All Wheel Protectant, so we'll see if the wheels stay cleaner, longer.

We also have a 500 Sport and I have to say I've never noticed brake dust or grime on the sport's wheels. Are the brakes so different between the Sport and the Abarth? I'm wondering why Fiat even offered white wheels, they're so hard to clean. Anybody switched to brake pads that don't generate so much dust and grime on the wheels? Expensive??
I switched my brake pads to EBC Redstuff and it made an astounding difference with the amount of brake dust that the brakes throw off. ***There's a looooooong bedding in period to get them to the point where the brake dust diminishes (over 1000 miles) but when they're finally bedded, the minimal amount of dust that is produced is very fine. No more totally, filthy wheels for me since then. I was ready to have mine powder coated (black) when I found the EBC Redstuff pads.
I don't know if there is any difference in the materials that are used for brake pads between the Abarth & other models but the Abarth does use larger brakes and pads than the other models.

Bill_E
08-18-2015, 08:05 AM
After looking these up on the Internet, I was impressed with their 95% customer satisfaction rating (with hundreds of reviews!)...and the cost seems reasonable. I wouldn't dream of putting these on myself, I wonder if a Fiat studio would install non-OEM parts...or would that mess with the warranty?

Thanks for the tip!

http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/61A3071A0A0.aspx

Klasse Act
08-18-2015, 08:25 AM

Mequiars DUB wheel cleaner is THE product to get! Advance Auto Parts had/has it on sale for $5.00 (regularly $8.99) and it works, period!

J.Peterman
08-18-2015, 08:26 AM
The studio will install them but if you ever had a brake problem, they could claim that it was due to using an aftermarket pad. That being said, these pads are not going to cause any brake problems. If you decide to use them, just be prepared for the long bed in period. During that time, the wheels will get just as filthy as they always have.........but, once bedded in, you'll be very happy with the results.

Bill_E
08-18-2015, 10:24 AM
I see you've only installed the EBC red ceramic brake pads on the front. True, there's less brake dust in the rear with the OEM pads but it's still too much. Are you now seeing more dust with the OEM rear vs the the EBC front, or is it now about the same?

Trunkout
08-18-2015, 10:58 AM
If you buy Armor All Wheel Protectant you don't need a cleaner OR new low dust pads.

J.Peterman
08-18-2015, 11:12 AM
I see you've only installed the EBC red ceramic brake pads on the front. True, there's less brake dust in the rear with the OEM pads but it's still too much. Are you now seeing more dust with the OEM rear vs the the EBC front, or is it now about the same?
The rear wheels have never produced anywhere near the black, filthy dust that the fronts used to produce so I started with the front pads to see how well they would work. I have used similar pads on a Porsche 911 (front only) with excellent results. At least 70% of the braking on most cars like this will be handled by the front wheels so they're always going to produce more dust than the rear. I get more dust from the rear wheels and it's more coarse than the EBC's put out but it's not enough to make me make the switch (yet). If I ever wear the rear pads down to the point where I need new pads, I would replace them with EBC Redstuff.
The Abarth also has much smaller brakes/rotors on the rear so they're never going to produce as much dust as the fronts.
If your car is producing more dust from the rears than you prefer, there's no reason not to change them too but it will take longer to bed them in to the point where they will quit producing the same amount of dust as your stock pads due to most of the braking being performed by the front brakes. I suspect that the rears may take as much as 2500+ miles to bed in vs 1000+ for the fronts (using the EBC Redstuff pads)

Bill_E
08-18-2015, 05:34 PM
I wasn't too happy about the white wheels when I was cleaning them yesterday, but liking them pretty good at the moment! Let's hope they stay pretty clean a lot longer than before!

n2oinferno
08-24-2015, 02:00 PM
I have a new favorite that I just used over the past weekend. Griot's Garage Heavy Duty Wheel Cleaner. It's not as cheap as some of the other things I've used before, but it's also probably a lot less harsh on the wheels (pH neutral, non acidic, non caustic) and easy to use. Spray on, leave sit for a few minutes, agitate with a wheel brush, and hose off.

Spyrule
08-24-2015, 02:08 PM
Wth sonax no scrubbing needed at all...

n2oinferno
08-24-2015, 02:28 PM
Wth sonax no scrubbing needed at all...

Habit. Even Sonax Full Effect says to agitate for very dirty wheels. In a worst case scenario situation I can get the GG stuff locally, but if one is willing to wait then Sonax is just as good IMO.

Klasse Act
08-24-2015, 07:34 PM
When ANY wheel is caked with brake dust, scrubbing is needed if you want them perfect, not slamming anyone, just sayin.

Griot's Garage HD wheel cleaner is great stuff, no doubt about it but is about double the price of DUB wheel cleaner, made by Meguiars. The GG HD doesn't stink like the DUB though, so that's a good thing but Advance Auto parts still have DUB wheel cleaner for FIVE BUCKS, bargain of the year. Sometimes GG is on sale and I love their bottles, so much infact that I use the GG HD wheel cleaner bottle for use of my DUB wheel cleaner as the Meg's bottles aren't that great and leak out sometimes when using and you really don't wanna get that sh!t on your hands, atleast I don't.

Trunkout
08-31-2015, 10:51 PM
So since starting to use the Armor All Wheel Protectant... I have found that if an area DOES some how get dirty...
I just wipe that small section clean and reapply the protectant.
goodbye worries!!! Clean for weeks!!