PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Abarth Automatic gas mileage?

Basta
04-16-2015, 04:31 PM
I can't seem to get more than 20 mpg with easy city driving. I am usually an aggressive driver but
have held back my basic instincts to try a full tank of premium without Sport Mode and keeping the revs
under 5 grand.
I'm reading that some people are getting 30+ and can't believe it.
Are automatics really this fuel hungry?

Mrnotwo
04-16-2015, 05:22 PM
I used to get 18mpg in the city but after 300 miles or so it went up to around 20. I get 32+ on highway.

Andree
04-16-2015, 05:58 PM
I'm going to send you over to a lengthy post I made awhile back:
http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?7295-500-Automatic-mileage&p=709075&viewfull=1#post709075

That will show you what is possible...on the highway, at a steady speed. You will be able to see your great mpg while driving on the EVIC (if it shows the same things that my older 500 does).

And you can manually calculate your mpg via the gas station fill ups, and compare with the mpg according to the EVIC.

Max mpg will be found at reasonable, steady speeds without stopping, so that's what the highway test is for.

Your city driving, well, realize you're getting zero mpg at a stop light. You could literally burn through an entire tank idling, going nowhere, to achieve an entire tank full of zero mpg. That's the other end of the spectrum.

Accelerating from a dead stop, you'll see (if you have the instant mpg on, in the EVIC) 5-10 mpg as you launch. That's horrible mpg, but it takes a lot of energy to move the vehicle from a dead stop. That's where the crummy mpg is coming from. Idling at stop lights, stop signs, and making the car move from a dead stop.

And that's why one of the big tips to get better mpg is not to roar up and have to come to a complete stop at a light, but to slow down and try to keep the car in motion as long as possible, so that you may not have to move that car from a dead stop. Just in case you can catch the light as it goes green, and you can accelerate from that point when the car is still moving.

You may have all the features I have on my older EVIC, with the mpg, time traveled, miles traveled, and average speed, in your trip odometer area. You can check your average speed...it will probably be quite low, perhaps as low as 15-18 mph. That's my guess.

The trip odometer calculates EVERYTHING, because it's attaching TIME. You think you're driving easy city, and maybe only considering the actual movement of the car. The trip odometer is adding in all that time you sit at the stop lights, as will any manual mpg calculation.

Every single car made gets zero mpg at a stop light. You're not going anywhere. Hybrids, they aren't burning fuel at a stop, and they will also use the electric to launch the vehicle, that's where they get that amazing city mpg.

We have a weekend coming up. If you have a chance, try out the highway mpg test. The more you follow the instructions, the better and more accurate the results.

This will show you what your Abarth can get, and IS getting when you're on the road, driving as you did in the test. If I'm on the highway/freeway driving exactly as I did during my test, I know my car is getting 45 mpg with it's automatic. And I am most pleased with that number.

There's not a dang thing I can do about my area, with it's multitude of stop signs, traffic signals, traffic. And I can't compare my "city" driving with anyone else, because each of us is in a unique area with distinctive driving habits and routes. Do the highway test, rejoice in the nice big number, and brag about it. I don't think anyone with a new 2015 auto Abarth has done this test, so you'd be the first.

It will be the most boring Abarth drive you'll ever take, out of Sport mode, with cruise control on, driving 50 miles one way, and 50 miles back. Keeping it under 65. But it IS nice for a basic pleasure drive if you have some scenery to pass by. I can't guarantee is, but I bet you'll hit 40 mpg for pure highway. And that ought to make you feel very good about your choice!

It's not the car, it's where you are.

ophidia31
04-16-2015, 06:31 PM
.... and keeping the revs
under 5 grand.

Youd run out to redline everytime prior and expect to get good gas mileage?

Keep the rpms under 3k (with the occasional fun time because you just have to) and youll see a giant increase.

Tweak
04-16-2015, 06:33 PM
Many factors play into this and I do not have the automatic but after around 2K many with manuals saw a marked improvement. I have seen anywhere from 27.x around town to as high as 40.x on long trips (but usually am closer to 32.x-44.x during trips. I suspect it'll improve with time but also that as stated above a big part of it comes down to "It's not the car, it's where you are". Even more is what ophidia stated, under 3K makes a massive difference!

Trunkout
04-16-2015, 06:42 PM
http://ecomodder.com/forum/EM-hypermiling-driving-tips-ecodriving.php

Basta
04-17-2015, 01:30 PM
Thanks for your tips.I'll try keeping it around 3 grand. The problem is that the car feels so damn light and nimble, before I know it, I'm pushing 60 mph. Driving without Sport mode or Go pedal is like flying a dirigible in a headwind. I have to get used to the feeling that although it feels slow, I am actually moving as fast as other cars around me.

rustbucket
04-17-2015, 06:07 PM
I can't seem to get more than 20 mpg with easy city driving. I am usually an aggressive driver but
have held back my basic instincts to try a full tank of premium without Sport Mode and keeping the revs
under 5 grand.
I'm reading that some people are getting 30+ and can't believe it.
Are automatics really this fuel hungry?

My two cents? .... you need to be patient. Once the motor is broken in, you should see a significant jump in mpg's. When I first got my 500 Sport in Jan. of last year I couldn't even get close to its 31 rated city mpg despite mostly highway driving. Break in along with warmer temps did wonders ..... I filled up today- 38.69 mpg. I can't recall a car I've owned where break in made such a difference in the way it runs and in mpg's.

Basta
04-17-2015, 08:51 PM
I have 2000 miles on my Abarth and I am calling BS on any one claiming they are getting significantly better than 20 mpg in city with 2015 automatic.

Tweak
04-17-2015, 09:35 PM
I have 2000 miles on my Abarth and I am calling BS on any one claiming they are getting significantly better than 20 mpg in city with 2015 automatic.

No clue on the auto but I know it is around 2000 miles when many stated they began to see some improvements...maybe you'll see a slight bump as well.

Timetrapper
04-17-2015, 10:18 PM
I have a Fiat Abarth Automatic 2015. Yeah its true, i'm only getting about 22 MPG. I drive mainly in the city.

Sals
04-17-2015, 10:49 PM
hey guys
I have both 2013 and 2015 abarths
The trick to getting 30 miles to the gallon is use 93 at the pumps sport mode off yes i know its hard but keep sport mode off !

tap your gas pedal let your abarth cost you will see your gas millage go up !

2013 5 speed
2015 auto

saypat
04-18-2015, 01:26 AM
2015 Automatic here also. Having so much fun driving I don't care about the mileage. I seriously doubt I would be able to figure it out anyway as complicated as that EVIC seems to me. I do know it gets better mileage than the 1993 Ford Ranger V6 I traded in on it. Do business on the last day of the month for SPECIALS. They gave me $1500 for that truck.

mcockrell
04-18-2015, 02:02 AM
I am averaging 28.9 as calculate by Fuelly with 59% city driving and 41% freeway driving (2015 Automatic). My worst tank was 22.8 and my best is 35.8. This is actually pretty close to what the EVIC shows. Most of the time while using my trip readings I am averaging 27. Note my wife does most of the driving and we are conservative most of the time.

Basta
04-18-2015, 04:43 PM
I wonder why it's so hard on gas mileage? I think the new The Cooper S gets around 30 easily with a larger engine. Perhaps the
turbocharging?

Andree
04-18-2015, 07:46 PM
I wonder why it's so hard on gas mileage? I think the new The Cooper S gets around 30 easily with a larger engine. Perhaps the
turbocharging?

You've taken the new Cooper S on the same route?

Don't fall into the trap of "the grass is greener" or you'll never be happy!

Cars take awhile to break in, the mpg will get better over time/distance.

If you don't have the print manual and you're the first owner, you should be able to get the manual for free. Take it to the car, and go through the EVIC area. Especially the trip odometer functions.

My older model 500 shows: average mpg, average speed, distance covered, and time it took to cover that distance and remaining range.

The big tip off in that sequence is average speed. What is your average speed on your current trip odometer? Go look. Now.

waiting...waiting...waiting...

Okay, while I wait for your response to magically appear on my screen without posting this message first, let's really get to KNOW your trip odometer.

You can download your manual online here:
http://www.fiatusa.com/en/owners/manuals/index.html

Refer to page 166 for the trip odometer.

Trip Computer
The Trip Computer is located in the instrument cluster. It features a driver-interactive display (displays information such as trip information, range, fuel consumption, average speed, and travel time).
Trip Button
The TRIP button, located on the right steering column stalk, can be used to display and to reset the previously described values.
• A short button push displays the different values.
• A long button push resets the system and then starts a new trip.
New Trip
To reset:
• Push and hold the TRIP button to reset the system manually.
• When the “Trip distance” reaches 9999.9 miles or kilometers or when the “Travel time” reaches 999.59 (999 hours and 59 minutes), the system is reset auto- matically.
• Disconnecting/Reconnecting the battery resets the system.
NOTE: If the reset operation occurs in the presence of the screens concerning Trip A or Trip B, only the information associated with Trip A or Trip B functions will be reset.
Start Of Trip Procedure
With the ignition on, push and hold the TRIP button for
over one second to reset.
Exit Trip
To exit the Trip function, wait until all the values have been displayed or hold the MENU button for longer than one second.
Briefly push and release the MENU button to go back to the menu screen or push and hold the MENU (approximately one second) to go back to the main screen without storing settings.
Trip Functions
Both trip functions are resettable (reset — start of new trip).
“Trip A” can be used to display the figures relating to:
• Range
• Trip distance A
• Average economy
• Instantaneous economy
• Average speed A
• Travel time A (driving time)
“Trip B” can be used to display the figures relating to:
• Trip distance B
• Average economy
• Average speed B
• Travel time B (driving time)
NOTE: “Trip B” functions may be excluded (see “Trip B Data”). “Range” and “Instantaneous consumption” cannot be reset.
Values Displayed
Range
This indicates the distance which may be traveled with the fuel remaining in the tank, assuming that driving conditions will not change. The message “----” will appear on the display in the following cases:
• Distance less than 30 miles (or 50 km).
• The vehicle is parked for a long time with the engine running.NOTE: The range depends on several factors: driving style, type of route (freeway, residential, mountain roads, etc.), conditions of use of the car (load, tire pressure, etc.). Trip planning must take into account the above notes.
Distance Traveled
This value shows the distance covered since the last reset.
Average Economy
This value shows the approximate average consumption since the last reset.
Instant Economy
This indicates the fuel consumption. The value is constantly updated. The message “----” will appear on the display if the car is parked with the engine running.
Average Speed
This value shows the vehicle’s average speed as a function of the overall time elapsed since the last reset.
Travel Time
This value shows the time elapsed since the last reset.

-----

The average speed includes the time you've spent idling. That's why the average speed will be fairly low for folks that have city driving. If there are stop light and stop signs, all that idling will show up in the reduction of the average speed. Sometimes you'll be going zero mph. While idling.

It's the idling and launching that will eat up the gas. This will occur on ANY car that is fully gas powered. No matter what the EPA sticker claims, YOUR results will vary with how and where you drive.

Here's the fuel economy comparison for the 2015 automatics, Abarth and Cooper S:
http://fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=35158&id=35797

The Cooper S just a tiny bit more fuel efficient on paper. And you can personalize the percentage of city and highway on the above comparison page, to reflect your driving, as well as your yearly mileage.

The more you drive, the more the mpg will matter. At the default 15,000 miles per year, there is a difference between the Abarth and Cooper S. When I enter my average miles per year, which is 1,500, I don't "save or spend" more on either. And my fuel cost for both cars is the same. With 100% city driving. Using their default gas cost values. With a higher gas cost, both of the vehicles costs more to run, duh, and says I spend $250 more on either car over 5 years. Gas costs in this area are high, and that is reflected by using a local gas price. You MUST input your own local gas costs in order to get a real view of what the car will cost to run on gas.

If you wanted better mpg, you could have chosen an automatic Lounge, mine is older, but gets better mileage:
http://fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=35158&id=35797&id=33029

Not as much fun for a lot of Abarth fans, but the mpg is better than the Cooper by a wee bit.

Learn the trip odometer, and tell us what your average speed is, as well as the average mpg, time, distance.

And do the highway mpg test. That will show you what the car is getting on the highway, and you'll be surprised.

Remember again: It's not the car, it's where you are

Jollygreenfe
04-27-2015, 07:32 PM
In my 2015 Abarth Auto I normally get between 26 and 31 MPG.

Depends on if I am having fun or driving like an adult. I posted a couple of pictures. One is where I drove in SPORT mode to work this morning and one where I drove home in normal mode. Mileage is worse on the way home due to the stop and go traffic that I don't have on the way into work.

saypat
04-28-2015, 02:09 AM
I posted in another thread about a trip I took last weekend, about 80 miles. Sport Mode OFF the entire time. Mostly highway, drove 60 mph. Trip meter said I got 37 MPG. 2015 Abarth automatic.

Andree
04-28-2015, 03:24 AM
I posted in another thread about a trip I took last weekend, about 80 miles. Sport Mode OFF the entire time. Mostly highway, drove 60 mph. Trip meter said I got 37 MPG. 2015 Abarth automatic.

Yesssss! That's what I'm talking about. Steady highway yields amazing results.

Southernroadrunner
03-30-2017, 10:08 PM
Ok my fuel mileage on my trip to the Dragon. Haven't had a long road trip since I added the EC 4.1.Ran exactly 70mph with the cruise on and got held up in slow traffic for 45 minutes. 35.2 for this part of the trip