PDA

View Full Version : Brake Fluid Replace Every Two Years

Laz
04-12-2015, 10:42 PM
Hi Everybody. I just bought a Fiat 500L and I was looking at the maintenance and Schedule and it says that we suppose to change the brake fluid every two years or every 20K miles. I wonder what is the reason for this. It is my first time seeing that kind of excessive maintenance on any vehicle that I have owned. Do you guys would know why?

msjulie33
04-13-2015, 12:30 AM
Every car I have owned required or suggested replacing brake fluid in a 2 year interval. The fluid absorbs water from the air and loses effectiveness but more,important water isn't good for brake systems

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-change-your-brake-fluid.html :)

mkdragn
04-13-2015, 12:56 AM
Hi Everybody. I just bought a Fiat 500L and I was looking at the maintenance and Schedule and it says that we suppose to change the brake fluid every two years or every 20K miles. I wonder what is the reason for this. It is my first time seeing that kind of excessive maintenance on any vehicle that I have owned. Do you guys would know why?

This is industry standard like msjulie just stated. Also Since working in the auto world, Ive seen my fair share of people who skip doing this; only to see their calipers completely seized and a $1600 bill. Fun stuff indeed

Fiat500USA
04-13-2015, 01:07 AM
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your 500L! Changing brake fluid is typically a maintenance requirement on European cars, high-performance vehicles and premium models. It is a good thing to do on all cars, but is often not mentioned in the maintenance guides on more mainstream cars where "low maintenance costs" seem to take precedence over driving performance. It is one of the most important things you can do on a brake system to keep it operating at its best. The brakes on a 500L are excellent, so a few $$ spent every so often is well worth keeping them that way. By the way, my mom brought her 2006 Corolla into Toyota the other day and they changed the fluid on it. Not sure if it was required in the book, but I had no problem with them doing it.

zyxelenator
04-13-2015, 07:39 AM
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your 500L! Changing brake fluid is typically a maintenance requirement on European cars, high-performance vehicles and premium models. It is a good thing to do on all cars, but is often not mentioned in the maintenance guides on more mainstream cars where "low maintenance costs" seem to take precedence over driving performance. It is one of the most important things you can do on a brake system to keep it operating at its best. The brakes on a 500L are excellent, so a few $$ spent every so often is well worth keeping them that way. By the way, my mom brought her 2006 Corolla into Toyota the other day and they changed the fluid on it. Not sure if it was required in the book, but I had no problem with them doing it.
Interesting. I just downloaded 2013 Abarth Manual and it does not say to change brake fluid every 2 years.
Also It says to change timing belt and coolant at 150k miles or 15 years, I thought I saw 120k and 12 years prior, hmmm

msjulie33
04-13-2015, 09:10 AM
I also couldn't find it in that PDF but I found this interesting/alarming? :) comment

"The manual transmission clutch release system should not require fluid replacement during the life of the vehicle."

Even if I didn't drive my car in in-frequent spirted ways, it is still going to get the brake fluid changed at least every 2 years...

Trunkout
04-13-2015, 09:35 AM
I've never replaced mine in ANY car.

minibrings
04-13-2015, 04:17 PM

My saab and Subaru had two year change intervals. Fluids lose their effectuveness over time.
Nothing out of ordinary.

Btw the Abarth is also a 2 year change.

Tweak
04-13-2015, 09:14 PM
I've never replaced mine in ANY car.

Many domestic cars have either no mention or really long change intervals but as stated above the higher performance/Euro cars tend to have a common 22 yr interval.

Dealer wants $129.99 and local tire shop wants $89.99 for the removal/refill. Just a heads up what I found for my car in my area. I just had mine done before going to the Fiat on the Dragon where the brakes (and clutch) get a serious workout. (They share a reservoir in case people are not aware).