PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on extended warranty?

MoranJ2000
04-11-2015, 10:39 AM
I've got a 500L that's approaching its first birthday, and I've been getting solicitations about purchasing the extended warranty.

Normally I would never consider doing so, as I feel its tantamount to pre-paying for repairs you may or may not need.

But given the fact that the 500L is a new model, combined with the pretty terrible reliability reputation of FIAT, combined with the fact that the 500L scored dead last in the recent CR reliability survey, makes me wonder if getting the extended warranty might be a smart move.

The quote I got was $1855 for the Max Care warranty, which essentially extends bumper-to-bumper to 7/85K from the standard 4/50K (albeit with a $100 deductible).

Itís hard to know for sure, of course, but it doesnít seem too far-fetched that I could pay at least $1855 in non-warranty repairs in years 5, 6, and 7.

Any thoughts pro or con?

Joe

X19
04-11-2015, 06:28 PM
I would say no because...
- 4 year warranty from factory, and
- my experience (I hope more typical than the horror stories we hear on these forums) with both my 500 and 500L has, so far, been excellent.
I too receive these solicitations; not even tempted.

Robert Nixon
04-11-2015, 07:33 PM
For $1855 I'd lean towards not getting it, and maybe selling the car at the end of 4 years.
Depends on your financial situation, car needs, and what happens over the next 4 years.
Overall I don't buy extended warranties, so I don't like them in the first place. They are another way for someone to make money, and that someone is not you!

Timetrapper
04-12-2015, 12:11 AM
they just take your $1885 bucks, turn around and put it into an account with everyone elses $1885, pool the money and hire an investment manager to manage the fund. Then as claims come in, they pay the claims from the pool of investments that is making a X% return. so i'd just go and invest that 1885 instead of giving it to them, because that's what they are going to do.

bryanintowson
04-12-2015, 09:18 AM
The only extended warranties that are ever any good are:

Carmax and MOPAR/Chrysler-FIAT

evbruno
04-13-2015, 03:00 AM
I've got a 500L that's approaching its first birthday, and I've been getting solicitations about purchasing the extended warranty.

Normally I would never consider doing so, as I feel its tantamount to pre-paying for repairs you may or may not need.

But given the fact that the 500L is a new model, combined with the pretty terrible reliability reputation of FIAT, combined with the fact that the 500L scored dead last in the recent CR reliability survey, makes me wonder if getting the extended warranty might be a smart move.

The quote I got was $1855 for the Max Care warranty, which essentially extends bumper-to-bumper to 7/85K from the standard 4/50K (albeit with a $100 deductible).

It’s hard to know for sure, of course, but it doesn’t seem too far-fetched that I could pay at least $1855 in non-warranty repairs in years 5, 6, and 7.

Any thoughts pro or con?

Joe

They will keep send you offers, I did 39 month lease and will think about extended warranties if I opt to purchase the car and see how the 500L's hold up over time. However read carefully what is covered and what is not. You many find the components you are primarily worried about are not covered because they are considered "wear" items. My 500L Easy has been problem free, just recalls and normal service per the schedule in owner's manually.

Our 2013 Ford Fusion is 2 years old and has been problem free just recall's and normal maintenance.
If you look at Ford's warranty 100% of car is covered the first 12 months, 60% of car the 2nd 12 months and only 30% of car the 3rd 12 months.
I was looking at extended warranties that are available for the Fusion SE and the price was not unreasonable. It did leave out key items which I would want covered because Ford defines them as "wear" items. There are lot electronics in Fusion SE and those could expensive to replace both parts and labor. So I am still on the fence. My wife's 1989 Grand Am had it's primary engine computer go out twice and back in earlier 90's that set me back 300+ for the computer and another 200 for labor each time to get them replace.

I would ask your studio to give some repair costs, say if the UConnect head fails what is the replacement cost, the EVIC, engine computers, ...etc. Once you have feel for the actual costs, this might give you more information to make a decision with.