PDA

View Full Version : Someone shoot my car please

minibrings
04-04-2015, 02:23 PM
I'd like to know what issues others are having (summaries)

1. Bad battery. Dealer kept car a week. I opened case.
2. Transmissuon not available light came on. Would not go over 30mph. Happened 4 times. Dmultiple trips to dealer. Sensor in gas pedal. New gas pedal installed.
3. Rear washer dies. Diagram not on dealer catalog. Part not available in US.
4. check engine light on. Sensor replaced.
5. Check engine like light back on again, a week after the fix. I opened case again.

I do not live close to a dealer... Cant just take time off from work. Even my boss hates my car.. And he has never seen it!

Never again FIAT. I look forward to the day i can get the last items fixed so that i can sell this POS.
I was on the FIAT bandwagon for years.. You lost me.. And after seeing the complaints, i know I'm one of the lucky ones!

Andree
04-04-2015, 04:10 PM
I'm so sorry about your car! I feel embarrassed and even vaguely guilty, LOL, because I had high hopes for the 500L and thought it would be such a great car. And it is a great car, for a lot of people. Especially where it's a big seller over the pond. If you're one of the 999 people with the perfect car, it's great. If you get one like the one you have, it's just terrible.

It doesn't do Fiat any good to keep the cars out there that are having problems. It leads to posts like this one. Fiat would be much better off in buying back/exchanging cars that have repeated problems, and giving those cars to their executives or mechanics or designers. Because SOMETHING is going on with several of these cars, and it's critical that Fiat finds out for themselves what it's like and what needs to be done about it.

Those cars shouldn't be resold to regular people. Keep them in the Fiat family and figure out what the ding dang problem is. It would be especially interesting to know if the same problems continued to pop up with a new driver, in a new location. What's weird is that this is the same engine that is used in the Abarth! Abarth owners aren't having that problem. I have the non-turbo engine, I'm not having that problem. It's something in the L that isn't in the rest of the vehicles, but it's probably not the engine itself.

Is there anything that would make you happy to keep you in the Fiat family? Would you take a new 500L? A different one? Maybe a 2015?

It would be nice for you and for Fiat if you got the chance to experience the 500L as it should be experienced. If you were able to get a car that is exactly like it's supposed to be, so you can enjoy it, rely on it, have it be dependable, and have some fun driving around in it.

Because if you were able to get into a 500L that is the way it's supposed to be, you'd notice the difference, and be so much happier.

And Fiat, if you're reading this, there's no excuse for not having a diagram for the rear washer assembly in the dealer catalog. Every single part should be diagrammed and have a part number.

carajean
04-05-2015, 01:53 PM
Every car brand since the dawn of time has had issues. This time you rolled a three next time maybe snake eyes maybe a 4 the next time. All these cars pretty much come off the same line.

You do seem to have more issues than most. Now I wonder how much is the car or the dealer not fixing it correctly.

Purgatory
04-06-2015, 01:17 AM
With your problems, I would feel the same way. So you not have the "lemon law" where you live? If so, I would be using it to get rid of this POS.

If you had the right Studio behind you, you might not have to be going through so many of these repeat problems.

As others have said, its a shame, because for most people, they drive their Fiat's without any issues (I am in that group, and my wife's Fiat as well), but there are always
those duds of cars (and it can be any model of any brand, not specifically a Fiat thing).

By now, they should be willing to let your swap out of this one, into something you can depend on, and be proud of again.

I hope you prevail, do not give up hope.

Thunderbolt
04-06-2015, 02:33 AM
Bring it over; I'll put some holes in it.

cblais19
04-09-2015, 03:52 PM
We've had a litany of issues as well, the craziest being picking the car up after being in the shop for 20 days getting a new transmission and taking it right back the next day because the door seal failed and allowed a nice bunch of water into the floorwell. The frustrating thing for us has been how difficult it's been to get the Customer Resolution team to actually answer their phone.

minibrings
04-13-2015, 04:06 PM
Every car brand since the dawn of time has had issues. This time you rolled a three next time maybe snake eyes maybe a 4 the next time. All these cars pretty much come off the same line.

You do seem to have more issues than most. Now I wonder how much is the car or the dealer not fixing it correctly.

Cara you nailed it. I've been to three dealers in three states it seems dealer number three is the most competent. They fixed the washer issue..no part needed, they are redoing the CEL fix.

Im avoiding the dealer in Maine and Peabody, MA after thus.. Sticking with New Hampshire guy.. They even gave me a free loaner.

Andree
04-13-2015, 08:40 PM
Cara you nailed it. I've been to three dealers in three states it seems dealer number three is the most competent. They fixed the washer issue..no part needed, they are redoing the CEL fix.

Im avoiding the dealer in Maine and Peabody, MA after thus.. Sticking with New Hampshire guy.. They even gave me a free loaner.

Woohoo! That's great news!

It would be nice if the mechanics at dealer #3 would share the info with the first two service departments. It's critical, really, to share the info with each other. Ideally, we should get great service at all service departments. Not every mechanic will have the same experience though, with actual experience with the 500L or intuitive experience where they just "know" how it all works (from experience with other vehicles).

I know they have Service Bulletins for the big stuff. But it might be nice to have a "Service Newsletter" where mechanics could write up a fix. It might never be a big problem for all 500L owners, which means most of the service departments aren't going to see it or have to fix the washer. But those few people that may have the problem someday, it sure would be nice for the service people to just check the newsletter for tips, ideas, fixes.

Is your loaner a 500L too?

FSTCS6
04-13-2015, 11:08 PM
Glad you seem to be getting things fixed. I had a 500L for a while and loved it, the plan changed and it had to go but otherwise it was a fun ride. My Abarth has, so far, been trouble free and the gf's Lounge was issue free as well (since traded in for a Jeep since we moved to the mountains).

Hopefully it'll be worry free the rest of its life and give you chance to love it again.

carajean
04-14-2015, 11:36 AM
Yes please do a yelp review and a google review just to let non-forum fiat people know they are the place to go. Be detailed. This will also let the other dealers know they are lacking. Dealers and service people read others reviews. Also IF it was ME I would call the other dealers and let them know as well after you get what fixed it.

minibrings
04-21-2015, 07:46 PM
Woohoo! That's great news!

It would be nice if the mechanics at dealer #3 would share the info with the first two service departments. It's critical, really, to share the info with each other. Ideally, we should get great service at all service departments. Not every mechanic will have the same experience though, with actual experience with the 500L or intuitive experience where they just "know" how it all works (from experience with other vehicles).

I know they have Service Bulletins for the big stuff. But it might be nice to have a "Service Newsletter" where mechanics could write up a fix. It might never be a big problem for all 500L owners, which means most of the service departments aren't going to see it or have to fix the washer. But those few people that may have the problem someday, it sure would be nice for the service people to just check the newsletter for tips, ideas, fixes.

Is your loaner a 500L too?

I plan to leave reviews. I did chat w neighbor w a Fiat and he also had issues with same dealer

They had car for 3 days to fix CEL, and were talking to fiat tech support to fix car. I had nissan altima.. Gross. For 3 days.., surface rust was stsrting under the trunk lid..

Andree
04-21-2015, 09:25 PM
I plan to leave reviews. I did chat w neighbor w a Fiat and he also had issues with same dealer

They had car for 3 days to fix CEL, and were talking to fiat tech support to fix car. I had nissan altima.. Gross. For 3 days.., surface rust was stsrting under the trunk lid..

Reviews are good, but especially useful if you can also go into detail with those two former dealers. Maybe in writing, maybe with a copy of the receipt from the third dealer. You could send off the letter in triplicate, one to each of the three dealers. Going over the problems you had with the first two and how great it was to find the fix at dealer three. It would serve as a thank you for dealer three, and a way for the first two dealers to improve. They WILL want to know how to fix a problem they were unable to fix!

So, you're back in the saddle again, and everything is doing fine?

minibrings
04-23-2015, 06:24 PM
Reviews are good, but especially useful if you can also go into detail with those two former dealers. Maybe in writing, maybe with a copy of the receipt from the third dealer. You could send off the letter in triplicate, one to each of the three dealers. Going over the problems you had with the first two and how great it was to find the fix at dealer three. It would serve as a thank you for dealer three, and a way for the first two dealers to improve. They WILL want to know how to fix a problem they were unable to fix!

So, you're back in the saddle again, and everything is doing fine?

NO! cEL came back on again! I called Fiat. They will ask dealer to open a Star case. Only then can i go to arbitration if Fiat tech can't fix car.

So mute point reaching out to studio 1 and 2 as studio 3 did not fix the car after all.

I've never had a problem with any of my new Subarus and Saabs.. Not even with my 500c which i miss. No i had to get the latest Fiat.

I will call my state's arbitration board tomorrow.. If 3 studios in 3 states cant seem to get the car right.. What are my options? I cant sell a car with CEL issues.. Its unethical.

Here is my review: 2014 Fiat 500L. Consumers Report was right about one review after all.

Andree
04-23-2015, 07:19 PM
Oh no! Well, dang.

Maybe Fiat can do the right thing and get you another car. This one seems jinxed, because three different places don't know how to fix it. If nobody knows how to fix it right, it will never get fixed. And that's a problem.

Please keep us updated. I'd really like to see a happy ending.

minibrings
04-23-2015, 10:10 PM
Oh no! Well, dang.

Maybe Fiat can do the right thing and get you another car. This one seems jinxed, because three different places don't know how to fix it. If nobody knows how to fix it right, it will never get fixed. And that's a problem.

Me to. Last go arpund dealer worked with Fiat tech.. Not sure why Fiat USA is now adking for a star case.

I MISS my 500c... That was a good Fiat.

Andree
04-24-2015, 12:22 AM
Me to. Last go arpund dealer worked with Fiat tech.. Not sure why Fiat USA is now adking for a star case.

I MISS my 500c... That was a good Fiat.

Maybe moving it to a Star case means the dealerships pay attention or something. LOL You've certainly done YOUR part in going to different places in trying to get it fixed.

This lady had the wrong medical diagnosis for 33 years!
https://www.yahoo.com/health/this-woman-spent-decades-unable-to-control-her-116948505828.html

Hopefully Fiat will be able to diagnose the car before that much time elapses. haha

There is something wrong with that particular vehicle and it's something very hard to find/diagnose/fix. If it's something inside the ECU, it won't be visible to anyone at all.

I'm remembering way back when I had computer monitor problems. It had to be sent back, and they touched up the soldering. My brother did that for me too on another computer. All the heating and cooling and the soldering expands and contracts, and eventually cracks. If it's cracked, it's not getting a good connection, hence my problems.

Any of the parts that depend on connections or have wires, if it's not perfect, there's a chance for problems. I don't suppose your car had problems more often when it was cold, or warmed up, or really hot? Maybe even if the sun bakes the left side of the car, it affects something just enough to make this problem. I mean, our external temperature sensors are affected by which side the car has to the sun. What if the mystery thing happens when the temperature changes and affects some wire or connection? A hidden miniscule thing.

Something that no mechanic could be expected to see. And if whatever it is happens to work when they check it, there's nothing "wrong" with the car.

I had that with a side marker light, that they never could fix. You know what it was? Upon closer examination, there was a metal part that had been somewhat compressed, meaning the bulb wasn't always connected. When the bulb went out, it wasn't burning out, it wasn't an insidious full electrical system meltdown in process. It was just this stupid little v-shape (think it was a V) metal piece that needed to be opened more to hold the bulb firmly in place. The mechanics didn't find it. I did. We won't talk about how many shops I had "repair" that side marker.

I had the car like 10-15 years or so. They NEVER found that problem in that time. The interim fix for all those years was to bang on the side marker until the light lit up.

Except for the problems I had with that car, that was a neat car. I liked it's boxiness.

minibrings
05-04-2015, 09:50 AM
Oh no! Well, dang.

Seems to finally be fixed. My case manager did the right thing and offered me two years free maintenance. I thought I was finally happy until I got home last night and the trunk would not open. I tried both remotes. I had to retrieve groceries through the backseat. I'm done.

Checking out an Abarth tonight, studio offered me good trade in.

Hopefully Fiat will transfer my free maintenance another Fiat vehicle I think I deserve it. I've been impressed with my case manager

Trunkout
05-04-2015, 10:14 AM
Get the Abarth. You won't regret it!

Andree
05-04-2015, 05:44 PM
Seems to finally be fixed. My case manager did the right thing and offered me two years free maintenance. I thought I was finally happy until I got home last night and the trunk would not open. I tried both remotes. I had to retrieve groceries through the backseat. I'm done.

Checking out an Abarth tonight, studio offered me good trade in.

Hopefully Fiat will transfer my free maintenance another Fiat vehicle I think I deserve it. I've been impressed with my case manager

Glad to hear they'll give you a good trade in. I just hate giving up on things, because it IS fixable. But no one in the area seems to know how to do it all for you. You've had way too many issues at this point. Someday the techs in the service center will be able to do it all, and fairly quickly. The parts will be readily available, the background experience will be under the belt.

So you started with a 500C, moved on to the 500L, and now you're going for the 500 Abarth. Will you go convertible again? Hardtop? Maybe sun roof? Are you going stick or auto? Do they have any bargain priced Abarth GQs? You'd then get a combo of your original 500C and the Abarth! I just love the round headrests, and they're adjustable too.

Did you have a Pop or Lounge 500C? And did you have the Lounge (fabric) or Sport seats?

I can hardly wait for you to get into another car. It will be such a relief for you, and you can be HAPPY. Yay!

minibrings
05-05-2015, 06:08 AM
Glad to hear they'll give you a good trade in. I just hate giving up on things, because it IS fixable. But no one in the area seems to know how to do it all for you. You've had way too many issues at this point. Someday the techs in the service center will be able to do it all, and fairly quickly. The parts will be readily available, the background experience will be under the belt.

So you started with a 500C, moved on to the 500L, and now you're going for the 500 Abarth. Will you go convertible again? Hardtop? Maybe sun roof? Are you going stick or auto? Do they have any bargain priced Abarth GQs? You'd then get a combo of your original 500C and the Abarth! I just love the round headrests, and they're adjustable too.

Did you have a Pop or Lounge 500C? And did you have the Lounge (fabric) or Sport seats?

I can hardly wait for you to get into another car. It will be such a relief for you, and you can be HAPPY. Yay!

On my way to test drive check engine light came back on.

Apparently its not fixable as studio worked with Fiat Tech to resolved.. I qualified for state lemon law.

I traded it in on the Abarth. Could not take being best mates with service advisor.

Fiat #1: Grande Punto, Australia
#2: 500c pop, 5 speed, argento/rosso
#3: crap one
#4: Abarth. Black. No options. Auto (more torque and for driving to NYC).

Hoping fourth time.. Acharm.

Trunkout
05-05-2015, 09:26 AM
Awesome! ENJOY!