PDA

View Full Version : Unichip ECU Questions: MPG / EVIC / Range / Sport Mode...

BBear
03-25-2015, 06:57 PM
Hi guys,

Any day now I'll have my Unichip ready to go, it's been sitting here next to my desktop for at least 3 weeks! angryfire angryfire angryfire Need to find time to pay EC a visit!

In any case, I was curious about how the Unichip piggyback unit would interact with the car and few questions came to mind:

1. Would the car/EVIC still be able to calculate Range / Inst MPG / Ave MPG? Well, I guess the car would still calculate these things, I guess the right question is: does the Uni mess up these calculations?
2. Would the Uni only work under Sport Mode or would also re-map the non-sport mode? Or depends on the map that is loaded? I guess the ideal scenario would be to have non-sport mode stock and the sport mode re-mapped.
3. How big will be my smile after I install the unit? :lol::lol::lol:

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

BB

EliRider
03-25-2015, 08:33 PM
Fantastic.

1. Would the car/EVIC still be able to calculate Range / Inst MPG / Ave MPG? Well, I guess the car would still calculate these things, I guess the right question is: does the Uni mess up these calculations?

The EVIC functions as expected. I have not validated it's accuracy but not found it to be a problem. I have not heard of any reports otherwise. In terms of MPG calculation accuracy, I use a mobile app on my iPhone to log my fuel mileage - specifically Road Trip. I use this app on all vehicles that I drive.

2. Would the Uni only work under Sport Mode or would also re-map the non-sport mode? Or depends on the map that is loaded? I guess the ideal scenario would be to have non-sport mode stock and the sport mode re-mapped.

Yes... as you would expect - Sport mode either On or Off. Sport Off caps the horsepower and torque, where when on provides the maximum power. You could consider the optional UniChip Map Selector switch with various maps for different performance levels. There is a 2-Way and 5-Way map selector option for UniChip.

3. How big will be my smile after I install the unit? :lol::lol::lol:

Please take pictures and post.

Enjoy your UniChip module!!!

BBear
03-25-2015, 09:25 PM
Nice Eli, great to know the EVIC will be able to calculate MPG normally.

Regarding the sport mode, I guess my question was more towards the non-sport mode: would that still be "stock map" ? Not sure from you reply if this is a yes or no.....

Cheers!

EliRider
03-25-2015, 11:13 PM
What I tried to say is that the sport mode has nothing to do with the UniChip map selection process. It just trims overall power when disabled. This is no different what stock does.

What is nice is that the sport button can provide a slightly different performance experience with the same map that is selected. For example if you have the UniChip 2-way map selector, by using the Sport mode you have 4 different driving experiences to choose from... but only 2 actual performance maps.

Remember on the stock setup, the cars PCM just trims HP and Torque to a certain power limit among other areas. The UniChip forces the power higher and faster so you will experience a different experience when disabling the Sport button over stock.

Most drivers just always have Sport mode enabled all the time.. but some appreciate tuning off the sport mode for commuting purposes as an example.

I hope this helps. The main thing is once you are driving with the UniChip, play with different sport modes and see what you like best.

cab driver
03-25-2015, 11:38 PM
Your smile will be HUGE!

BBear
03-26-2015, 04:07 AM
Your smile will be HUGE!

http://cl.jroo.me/z3/x/A/Q/e/a.baa-Dog-with-huge-smile-.jpg