PDA

View Full Version : National Tire & Battery (NTB) Fubar'd my BC Coilovers

SuperTony
03-21-2015, 05:39 PM
First I should say my ABARTH is not my daily driver. She sits in the garage and I drive her to have fun.

Most of my MODs are focused purely on performance. I have only indulged in a few bling upgrades (some carbon fiber here and there). Lately I have been focusing on completing my suspension wish list and added El Gato braces, an upper brace bar, torque strut, and I am waiting for my awesome x-brace from 'the house of Ron'.

High on my task list is figuring out a minor / intermittent knock from the front suspension. Over a year ago I had NTB install my awesome BC BR Coilovers - I removed the top nut and mount plate today and found this cross-threaded mess. NTB tech obviously blasted this with an impact wrench and drove it all the way down cross-threaded. The nut is bound and stiull has 1/8 of an inch to be actually tight so the strut was twerking under load.

http://www.gruens.com/pix/NTB_mess.jpg
http://www.gruens.com/pix/NTB_mess.jpg

I am not sure I can save the strut. I am going to cut off the nut and see if I can repair the threads.

NTB's response? "We are not responsible for that".

If you are taking your car to NTB, my advice, beware.

Mr. Man
03-21-2015, 07:33 PM
Only thing i ever took my car to NTB for was a tire install and they took like 3 hours. No thx

Vaejovis carolinanus aka lowconabarth
03-21-2015, 07:59 PM
I have nothing but good experiences with NTB but I only buy tires and get alignments with them.

GileraWarren
03-21-2015, 08:52 PM
That's why nobody works on my car but me

SuperTony
03-24-2015, 03:58 PM
I don't know where that nut came from but it does not match the other side. Considering they are M12 1.25 (a sometimes hard to find thread) it may not even be the right thread. It is hard to tell from the photo but it is cocked at a 8 degree angle on the bolt and will_not_come_off.

Anyway, best advice is to do it yourself and if you have to have a shop do it be sure to demand no impact wrenches are used. Every shop is different, I don't mean to rag on NTB this is just where this happened. Shame it is a mess that will cost me over a grand.

gundam2000
03-24-2015, 04:24 PM
heat up the nut with a torch to expand it and try to remove it. If that doesn't come off then cut it off.. chase the threads with a die set. Maybe you can save them.
worst case scenario is the threads under the nut are totally fubared. then use a metal spacer and put a proper nut above the spacer where the threads are still good.

Trunkout
03-24-2015, 09:33 PM
I've used NTB more than I can count without issue.