PDA

View Full Version : ATT: Abarth owners with 180+ whp, what is your MPG?

Nathan Kieffner
03-20-2015, 09:30 PM
I love my 2013 Abarth. I love it so much I drive it like a POP model. lol. No joke, while I do have my moments, for the most part I am pretty stuck on doing what I can to get high MPG. With around 90 hours on my trip odometer, I have about 33.6 mpg. I at times have been able to get around 40 mpg on a 250 mile round trip drive I do if I am feathering the pedal alot and trying really hard.
However, when the car is payed off and the warranty is out I am looking into starting out with the usual mods and a piggyback to get me up to the 200 hp range. My question is what kind of MPG numbers those of you with that type of power are getting on your city/highway driving. Thanks in advance.

gfurneri
03-20-2015, 10:19 PM
I just have the basic bolt on's but I do drive my abarth like I stole it... My theory is drive it hard so I can get everything to break under warranty, but also because this car is the most fun I have had in a car in a while. I avg 28mpg but I'm all highway in my part of California. I drove to Vegas a month ago and avg 30mpg. Power I'm making no idea, as I am newer to the mod game. It has been 10 years since my last modded car. But I hope I helped little...

nevadaabarth
03-20-2015, 10:46 PM
I average 28-30, but it's mostly around town and with a lead foot! I did get 33.2 on my last road trip (800 miles). Not great but I drive the car very hard most times....especially when I'm first at the stop light 😨

Fiat500USA
03-20-2015, 10:57 PM
Good question! If you have the skills to get 40 mpg out of the Abarth, you probably will be able to beat what most get with their mods. I would say the largest impact will be on how you drive. Once you have all the power it is very tempting to get into it and use it. Just going by what I hear on the forum over the years, I'm guessing you would drop 10 mpg with enthusiastic driving. Maybe less if you drive for fuel economy.

Tweak
03-20-2015, 11:24 PM
I hammer on the car pretty much at all times and manage around 28MPGs around town and have managed a high of 40MPGs coming home from VA to NC using cruise control (60MPH-70ishMPH) most of the way.

abarth500caz
03-21-2015, 01:12 AM
mixed spirited driving- 28mpg. you can see what I have done in the sig. area below. I agree with fiat500usa. When I track my car the MPG is more like 10mpg.

msjulie33
03-21-2015, 10:27 AM
On days my car commutes, it's seriously bad traffic on side streets, 40 mph roads where you can actually average about 21 and stop lights. If I behave, 32.2 - recently with a heavier right foot, 31.7. Highway fun drives, 32-33 at more or less legal speeds

Klasse Act
03-21-2015, 10:33 AM
You can see my current mods in my sig and once the weather levels out I average 35 mpg but my drive to work is 13 miles and mostly freeway and I set the cruize @ 60 mph and enjoy the ride. Its not the mods so much that kill the mpgs its that thing that attached to your right ankle, LOL!

nilfinite
03-21-2015, 09:56 PM
I'm getting 33mpg. 35 mile commute with 5 miles of city driving. Fairly aggressive driving.

Some mods will actually increase MPG. An intake was the most obvious. Tune can help with mpg as well if you don't dip into the power.

The car likes being around 55-60 mph for optimum MPG. If you want, find a truck that's driving in the slow lane and follow him the whole way. Easy 40+ mpg.

cy-clone33
03-21-2015, 10:01 PM
Im like nilfinite, I drive my car like a scalded dog, 30 miles highway and 10 miles city everyday oneway . I average 33mpg

Purgatory
04-13-2015, 01:16 AM
Not calling anyone a liar or stretching the truth, but not convinced an Abarth could ever get 40 mpg. Not even driving it in non-Sport mode, and driving it like an old lady.

Over the course of 12k miles on my mod Abarth, my all around MPG is about 27 tops. Worse was 25, and best - the one and only time I tried to get good MPG, I barely got to the 30 MPG mark. Typical for me is in the upper 26 MPG range.

Some factors - I always drive spirited (but not WOT driving), I only burn 93 Octane, and I drive 100% of the time in Sport Mode. It's a car, IMO, that needs to be driven hard to be enjoyed, and to wring out all the pleasure that was built into the car.

Had I wanted high MPG, and mostly normal driving, I would have never ordered and bought an Abarth. Why not a Pop or a Sport (which I did own one for about 3 months). I just believe in using a vehicle for what it was intended. Reminds me of people that buy Jeep's, and never ever take them off the road, what's the point?

SweetSandMan
04-13-2015, 05:28 AM
Eh...I've gotten as high as about 38 before I moved. My daily commute used to be 22.5 miles each way...21.5 of it being highway. And I was going the opposite way of all the traffic each way so I never ran into any traffic. Set the cruise at 64ish and go.

Now that I live much closer to work (6.5 miles each way) and my commute is now 100% back roads, I'll be curious to see what comes of it. I can tell you I drive a hell of a lot more enthusiastically now that I can enjoy the back roads daily lol! It's been a month and I am just now coming up to needing my first fill up and I can tell by my trip odometer that the mpg will be significantly lower...and it is most certainly the fault of my right foot.

Trunkout
04-13-2015, 09:38 AM
anyone wanna put money on that 40 mpg figure? You're taking to a guy that hypermiled a Yaris sedan and got 48..... AND it was an AUTO!

Tweak
04-13-2015, 09:51 PM
Not calling anyone a liar or stretching the truth, but not convinced an Abarth could ever get 40 mpg. Not even driving it in non-Sport mode, and driving it like an old lady.

Over the course of 12k miles on my mod Abarth, my all around MPG is about 27 tops. Worse was 25, and best - the one and only time I tried to get good MPG, I barely got to the 30 MPG mark. Typical for me is in the upper 26 MPG range.

Some factors - I always drive spirited (but not WOT driving), I only burn 93 Octane, and I drive 100% of the time in Sport Mode. It's a car, IMO, that needs to be driven hard to be enjoyed, and to wring out all the pleasure that was built into the car.

Had I wanted high MPG, and mostly normal driving, I would have never ordered and bought an Abarth. Why not a Pop or a Sport (which I did own one for about 3 months). I just believe in using a vehicle for what it was intended. Reminds me of people that buy Jeep's, and never ever take them off the road, what's the point?

I can't really see over 40 either...but I managed to reach 40 once, MAYBE twice but MANY miles later and similar trips result in 32-33 MPGs except for the latter trips with lower reports are likely related to higher speeds.

Klasse Act
04-13-2015, 09:59 PM
I haven't dyno'd my car but with the mods I had last year (500 Madness tuning box/EC SRI/MPx axle-back) I got 41 mpg between northern KY and northern Indiana.

Just today my mileage was 31.6 mpg and this is somewhat mixed driving and the temps are still a little cool too. Check out Fuelly for all the info on my car, look for "Backfire" there, 2013 Abarths.

Nathan Kieffner
04-28-2015, 11:09 AM
I can't really see over 40 either...but I managed to reach 40 once, MAYBE twice but MANY miles later and similar trips result in 32-33 MPGs except for the latter trips with lower reports are likely related to higher speeds.

I will do my 260 round trip commute this weekend when I goto drill. The drive is perfect parameters to reach these numbers. I will upload some pics and video if I need to. I will get 40mpg, but most likely a low average speed. I dont know how my suspension setup will affect this since it is new (rear h&r springs, and koni shocks, havent got the front springs on)

dylansi
04-28-2015, 11:45 AM
My car is dynoed and tuned, over 180 whp and roughly 220 wtq. I average at the best 32-33 mpg on the highway doing anywhere from 60-75 on flat ground. Add in some hills and im between 30-31. City I can get anywhere from 25-29 mpg. I am also running pig rich

Tweak
04-28-2015, 11:45 PM
I will do my 260 round trip commute this weekend when I goto drill. The drive is perfect parameters to reach these numbers. I will upload some pics and video if I need to. I will get 40mpg, but most likely a low average speed. I dont know how my suspension setup will affect this since it is new (rear h&r springs, and koni shocks, havent got the front springs on)

I'm not calling you out or saying you lie..., I even saw 40 myself which most find difficult to believe. I should have been a little more clear and stated I think it very difficult and unlikely that 40MPG is reachable for the majority and those that do would have to have some ideal conditions. I don't expect any "proof" as I believe you manage it...nothing to gain by telling any of us otherwise you know. I find it too hard to stay calm with the drive long enough to achieve higher numbers...lol. :D

Hildevar
04-29-2015, 08:39 AM
I have 180whp and get 31.7 on the road. In a trackday 7.3 :). Slow traffic en the city 17.6.

tandemnut
07-06-2016, 05:51 AM
27mpg summer (run the AC about 80% of the time); 29mpg spring, fall and winter. Unichip installed. Pre-Unichip I was at 29mpg summer and 31mpg spring, fall and winter. Spirited driving at all times!

Julien
04-18-2019, 05:45 PM
Necro bump.. but from what I've seen it's all about acceleration and cruising speed. I get ~27MPG mixed but I cruise at 75-80 and romp on it from time to time. If I were to drop that down to 65 and keep her out of boost I could see mid 30 mpgs being feasible.

venom
04-18-2019, 09:46 PM
The last two Abarths I had were bone stock and I drove them soft and averaged about 32.5 mpg over the life of them. I did notice at about 50k miles that the mpg went up! Iím modding my current one so we will see what it does to the fuel economy. Currently itís getting about 33 mpg. I would think lowering it will help the mpg....Iím dong that next week.

mr16valve
04-19-2019, 09:11 AM
I see a consistent 31mpg on road trips (2 people + baggage + AC @75ish).
My daily commute - mainly city stop & go averages 28.5 mpg.
These are pencil & paper method, not cluster display figures.

Frankinstyn
04-19-2019, 10:07 AM
While I don't have an Abarth, I do have a 2013 Turbo. I drive it pretty hard from most stops but I'm averaging an indicated 36.5 and I computed it once to compare and got 35.5. I'll be getting the OFT pretty soon here but I think the key to my mileage is that when I'm cruising, I use the cruise control. In fact, I use cruise control quite a bit.

I drive 30 miles each way every day and the way home is city with a lot of stop signs and a school at one of them (idle stop and go for 5 minutes). I drive the highway in at 65mph and through the city home at around 35mph. I live in Washington state so many hills.

Sport mode doesn't seem to affect the mileage, just make it more fun.

Julien
04-20-2019, 01:13 PM
While I don't have an Abarth, I do have a 2013 Turbo. I drive it pretty hard from most stops but I'm averaging an indicated 36.5 and I computed it once to compare and got 35.5. I'll be getting the OFT pretty soon here but I think the key to my mileage is that when I'm cruising, I use the cruise control. In fact, I use cruise control quite a bit.

I drive 30 miles each way every day and the way home is city with a lot of stop signs and a school at one of them (idle stop and go for 5 minutes). I drive the highway in at 65mph and through the city home at around 35mph. I live in Washington state so many hills.

Sport mode doesn't seem to affect the mileage, just make it more fun.
35 mpg driven hard?! I guess its the lower boost tune in the car

Frankinstyn
04-20-2019, 02:56 PM
35 mpg driven hard?! I guess its the lower boost tune in the car

Certainly could be. I've only got 135hp right now. OpenFlash ought to get me to around 200.