PDA

View Full Version : Tire Rotation

cgpiper
03-20-2015, 03:23 PM
After a season of autocross with my 215/40-17 Dunlop Direzza IIs, the front tires are noticeably more worn than the rears. Since these are directional tires I had them switched from front to rear on both sides. Now there is a slight rumbliness as I start out and it dissipates after accelerating. Does anyone know the cause? Is there a reason that I shouldn't have made the switch, like maybe the ones that were on the front adjusted to the front-wheel-drive grip and now just feel different by trailing along? They all have good tread left, with about 3000 miles on them. I wanted to start this season's AX with a little more tread in the front.

BigDaddySRT
03-20-2015, 03:48 PM
After a season of autocross with my 215/40-17 Dunlop Direzza IIs, the front tires are noticeably more worn than the rears. Since these are directional tires I had them switched from front to rear on both sides. Now there is a slight rumbliness as I start out and it dissipates after accelerating. Does anyone know the cause? Is there a reason that I shouldn't have made the switch, like maybe the ones that were on the front adjusted to the front-wheel-drive grip and now just feel different by trailing along? They all have good tread left, with about 3000 miles on them. I wanted to start this season's AX with a little more tread in the front.

Inspect the Front Tires for cupping. (Rotated from the Rear)

Gharbeson
03-20-2015, 04:50 PM
Could you have flat spotted them during a race?

cgpiper
03-21-2015, 01:09 AM
I'll check them out this weekend. It didn't occur to me that there might be damage, since everything was nice and smooth before I switched them. But it makes sense!

Thanks.

nilfinite
03-21-2015, 03:04 AM
Bill, that's funny. I've never had that before but I regularly rotate and keep the tires with more tread in the front before an AX :)

Some stupid stuff. Maybe check tire pressures and retorque the wheels?

jguerdat
03-22-2015, 08:20 AM
Bill, that's funny. I've never had that before but I regularly rotate and keep the tires with more tread in the front before an AX :)

I'd tend to suggest putting the tires with LESS tread in front for competition since tread tends to squirm, reducing traction. Agree that regular rotation would help.

nilfinite
03-22-2015, 11:46 AM
I'd tend to suggest putting the tires with LESS tread in front for competition since tread tends to squirm, reducing traction. Agree that regular rotation would help.

Huh that's interesting. Sounds like a catch-22 type situation if you have AX-only wheels. Do I want best performance or do I want to continue wearing down the more worn down tires? Decisions decisions

jguerdat
03-23-2015, 08:33 AM
Well, if they're fairly evenly worn (front-to-rear), it won't make any real difference. And with extreme performance tires, even a big difference may not matter much although it's worth noting that top competitors still shave their new tires...

John O
04-09-2015, 02:49 PM
I have a very basic tire rotation question. Since the Abarth is obviously FWD, is the correct pattern: fronts go to straight back the the rear, rears cross to the front?

Thanks

John O.

jguerdat
04-10-2015, 08:14 AM
It really isn't an issue with the exact pattern as long as you do it the same every time.

SeaDawg
04-10-2015, 05:29 PM
I have a very basic tire rotation question. Since the Abarth is obviously FWD, is the correct pattern: fronts go to straight back the the rear, rears cross to the front?

That is what Fiat Recommends in the owners manual. One exception would be if you had directional tires like BFG Comp2 Sports, then only back to front on the same side.