PDA

View Full Version : Suspension upgrades?

TorkMe
03-11-2015, 12:41 PM
We need 3 testers for our new part.

Looking for big names in the community that are willing to write a review of the part here in our section.

Please PM me, I will look over your post history and we will make a decision on who the lucky 3 will be.

Thanks,

John

BigDaddySRT
03-11-2015, 12:52 PM
First Solo II Event is next Sunday... what new part?

TorkMe
03-11-2015, 12:56 PM
First Solo II Event is next Sunday... what new part?

Its a chasis part we are keeping quiet on right now.

Eventually we will post all the details but need customer info and reviews first.

Have you Solo'ed the car this year yet?

Really need before and after results and you are the perfect candidate.

PM me if you are interested and we could ship these out today if need be so you have them in time for the event.

Install is 10 minutes and you need to have the car jacked up or in the air for install.

BigDaddySRT
03-11-2015, 01:51 PM
PM Sent... I am also located on Earth, so that will make shipping a cinch.

opiateESP
03-11-2015, 07:16 PM
If this is the part I think it is, I've been testing them out for a while. Hopefully someone who auto-x's there car can try these things out. ;)

Abarth Five O
03-11-2015, 09:50 PM
Is this it? http://damnfastdd.com/Products/Show/Fiat+Tork+Collars

nilfinite
03-12-2015, 02:14 AM
I'm open to testing these out as well. I autocross very regularly. Instruct for a couple of clubs. If it's the tork collars from above. They might not be legal in SCCA Solo actually. Feel free to contact me about what the part actually is and we can figure it out.

BigDaddySRT
03-12-2015, 07:56 AM
I'm open to testing these out as well. I autocross very regularly. Instruct for a couple of clubs. If it's the tork collars from above. They might not be legal in SCCA Solo actually. Feel free to contact me about what the part actually is and we can figure it out.

If those are the said "test parts", I'm running SMF... I'm not worried.

TorkMe
03-16-2015, 02:25 PM
OK guys I have your PM' and I will be sending out parts soon.

Thanks,

John

66fasty
03-25-2015, 07:18 PM
Any updates/more on these parts?

bryanintowson
03-26-2015, 08:39 AM
Following - I'm looking for some suspension upgrades that will retain my lounge ride but give me the european ride stance/height.

TorkMe
04-16-2015, 01:04 AM
PM's have been sent, we will be looking for some feed back when you guys get these installed.

Thanks,

John

ophidia31
04-16-2015, 09:22 AM
Is this it? http://damnfastdd.com/Products/Show/Fiat+Tork+Collars

Just curious how they came up with that part. How did they notice that this was happening to those subframe connections? Does this movement effect everything attached to the subframe to the point of it causing an issue like binding suspension or is it negligable but these just get rid of that little bit of movement in the subframe?

tihoa
04-16-2015, 10:35 AM
Just curious how they came up with that part. How did they notice that this was happening to those subframe connections? Does this movement effect everything attached to the subframe to the point of it causing an issue like binding suspension or is it negligable but these just get rid of that little bit of movement in the subframe?

Subframe collars have always been a common mod in cars and yes you can feel the difference. Here's a video to help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWyUD6UXfog

doverosx
04-16-2015, 12:23 PM
Nice! I like it!

ophidia31
04-16-2015, 01:46 PM
That may explain the issues with the replacment AAD torque strut from a while back. Some people were ok and others were having all the issues because of the way it had to be angled to mount up to the subframe. I mentioned that it could have been because of the way the subframe was mounted during assembly and the rubber of the stock mount makes up for that lack of accuracy since it moves easier than the aftermarket strut would. Turns out that I may have been correct if we have it as bad as that video shows. Ill definitley be looking into these pieces for my car.

Fabio13
04-16-2015, 01:51 PM
Subframe collars have always been a common mod in cars and yes you can feel the difference. Here's a video to help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWyUD6UXfog

Wow, that video was educational!

gundam2000
04-16-2015, 02:19 PM
I want to know is this going to be of any benefit in my daily driver driven aggressively? and I have a lift. how hard is this to do myself? how many collars do I need? any instructions and torque specs included with the parts?

opiateESP
04-16-2015, 02:29 PM
That may explain the issues with the replacment AAD torque strut from a while back. Some people were ok and others were having all the issues because of the way it had to be angled to mount up to the subframe. I mentioned that it could have been because of the way the subframe was mounted during assembly and the rubber of the stock mount makes up for that lack of accuracy since it moves easier than the aftermarket strut would. Turns out that I may have been correct if we have it as bad as that video shows. Ill definitley be looking into these pieces for my car.

Unfortunately not. I've been running the sleeves for quite a while. I had them and the AAD at the same time.

ophidia31
04-16-2015, 03:00 PM
Unfortunately not. I've been running the sleeves for quite a while. I had them and the AAD at the same time.

Damn, oh well. lol

What kind of improvement did you see with them installed?

tihoa
04-16-2015, 09:27 PM
I want to know is this going to be of any benefit in my daily driver driven aggressively? and I have a lift. how hard is this to do myself? how many collars do I need? any instructions and torque specs included with the parts?

In my previous experience with subframe collars (Toyota Celica & VW GTI) they definitely helped with aggressive driving as well as daily driving. It stiffens up the subrame so you get tighter control in turns and your car feels less sloppy on bad roads. And this all happens without adding any NVH. The collars are sold as a set by a manufacturer (Spoon, Tork, etc.) specific to your car so there's no guessing as to how many number of collars you need to buy. If you've never dropped a subframe before I don't recommend you doing so unless you do your car specific research. You'll need a car jack or two and some jack stands. Torque specs are usually included with the kits. Also, you'll need to get an alignment afterwards. DO NOT skip on the alignment.

gundam2000
04-17-2015, 09:38 AM
I have a 2 post lift in my garage so this shouldn't be too hard. On the Tork site it just shows 2 collars in the picture. I'm not sure if I need 2 sets or if there are only 2 that can be collared.

tihoa
04-17-2015, 01:11 PM
I have a 2 post lift in my garage so this shouldn't be too hard. On the Tork site it just shows 2 collars in the picture. I'm not sure if I need 2 sets or if there are only 2 that can be collared.

Well here's what I've done in the past for subframe collars:

1. You'll need to find instructions on how to lower the subframe (which bolts to loosen). Maybe Tork has instructions with their kit or try asking them. I did a quick Google search and found nothing for the Abarth.
2. You'll need a jackstand to keep the subframe from dropping out. The higher you raise your car the taller your jackstand will need to be obviously.
3. Here's a quick video on how the installation process works: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgkAImPh0yg

doverosx
06-11-2015, 02:45 PM
Well here's what I've done in the past for subframe collars:

1. You'll need to find instructions on how to lower the subframe (which bolts to loosen). Maybe Tork has instructions with their kit or try asking them. I did a quick Google search and found nothing for the Abarth.
2. You'll need a jackstand to keep the subframe from dropping out. The higher you raise your car the taller your jackstand will need to be obviously.
3. Here's a quick video on how the installation process works: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgkAImPh0yg

I've ordered the collars so I'll see what's what when I have the car jacked up again.

gundam2000
06-11-2015, 02:52 PM
Let me know because these are on my list. Please take pictures of the process.

doverosx
06-11-2015, 03:34 PM
Let me know because these are on my list. Please take pictures of the process.

You got it!

doverosx
07-24-2015, 10:02 PM
Hello gundam,

Rigid collars are installed! I will be doing a write up in the near future, if you PM me enough, it'll get done sooner from the pestering just know that I'm in the middle of managing a company merger + moving to an apartment!

Review:
I looked up and down the internet, all around to see what was what. I also found it very difficult to pin-point a single and simple enough test to have evidence....I could've used a spectrum analyzer to listen to sounds and...nahhh, too much work/need for special equipment. Install took me 20 minutes including jacking the car up on stands and lowering it down. Shipping was fast but the instructions that I got from Tork were typed/written so I used the images from the NeuF front sway bar to identify the bolts and torque specs. Gina eventually sent me some good information but it isn't 100% clear like most expect; I'll see what my write-up does to fix that.

TLDR? Buy them!

I got the rigid collars buttoned up and everything was set and I was ready to roll! I was driving over bumps to check for any knocks or clunks and couldn't find anything until I realized that I was purposely HITTING bumps and uneven pavement only to realize the jittery front end (keep in mind I just installed my front sway not too long ago) was.....gone. After installing the front sway I've always noticed this underlying buzz or "loose-ness". Combined with the El Gato front braces though, this car now has the temprement of a much more expensive vehicle. Any jitteryness or looseness is completely undetectable; more so, I took on washboard dirt roads (no choice...damn cottage country) and the change was still very apparent from the last time I drove on those roads and that was with a FULL stock setup. Essentially, if you've read my review of the El Gato braces, the effects of the collars are the same but doubled when both are combined.

Summarized Effects:
- Nose dive is connected directly to your brake pedal/foot so you are better connected to the car's dynamics
- Steering is ON POINT and is immediate, you'll notice this especially on the highway
- Improved steering feel, I am getting a lot more information from my wheel now...a lot more of the surface information is hitting the wheel in a GOOD way, again the car's dynamics information is being sent to the driver more directly.

Overall for the price and ease of installation, how can you NOT buy it? I really wasn't expecting much and it's the first time I installed a mod and didn't "look" for a change. I was just doing a normal road test for clunks and stuff. Overall, I'm disappointed that no one is really pushing these damn collars! Such a simple thing and for $80!!