PDA

View Full Version : Yet another transmission issue...

cblais19
03-06-2015, 01:02 PM
Probably similar to other people's issue, have taken it in to the studio twice because my wife was reporting an unresponsive throttle randomly. Could. It replicate of course. More recently had a friend tell her it was shifting oddly, when it would tick through the gears on acceleration it was "clunking" on shift and instead of the expected decrease in rpms with a higher gear it would actually rev higher briefly before acting as expected.

Now to my experience. This morning leaving our street to drop the wife off at work, took the foot off the throttle while coasting to the light ( we had a ton of snow in the DC metro yesterday so the roads are slushy) to make a right hand turn. I see nobody coming so I ease on the throttle, no response. Engine stays in second at ~2k rpm as I depress pedal to the floor. Stays like this for 4-5 seconds as I coast out into the intersection, thankfully nobody was coming. Finally responds again, shifts to 1st and away I go. Turn to the wife and say "ok, now I see your concerns."

Drop her off, start heading to my work. Notice the odd shifting behavior of revving up instead of down when changing gears under acceleration. Merge on to the highway and it looses all throttle response in 4th at 60 and starts coasting. Try using manual mode to get it to shift and nothing. One of the most terrifying driving experiences of my life to lose control over your vehicle like that.

Pulled off the highway, called fiat corporate to open a ticket and waiting roadside assistance to come tow it as I no longer feel safe driving.

Edit: no idea why the thread title has "reason" in it, lol. Smartphone being enthusiastic I think.

Tweak
03-06-2015, 07:58 PM
Title fixed, good luck with your current issues!

FiatCares
03-09-2015, 09:29 AM
Probably similar to other people's issue, have taken it in to the studio twice because my wife was reporting an unresponsive throttle randomly. Could. It replicate of course. More recently had a friend tell her it was shifting oddly, when it would tick through the gears on acceleration it was "clunking" on shift and instead of the expected decrease in rpms with a higher gear it would actually rev higher briefly before acting as expected.

Now to my experience. This morning leaving our street to drop the wife off at work, took the foot off the throttle while coasting to the light ( we had a ton of snow in the DC metro yesterday so the roads are slushy) to make a right hand turn. I see nobody coming so I ease on the throttle, no response. Engine stays in second at ~2k rpm as I depress pedal to the floor. Stays like this for 4-5 seconds as I coast out into the intersection, thankfully nobody was coming. Finally responds again, shifts to 1st and away I go. Turn to the wife and say "ok, now I see your concerns."

Drop her off, start heading to my work. Notice the odd shifting behavior of revving up instead of down when changing gears under acceleration. Merge on to the highway and it looses all throttle response in 4th at 60 and starts coasting. Try using manual mode to get it to shift and nothing. One of the most terrifying driving experiences of my life to lose control over your vehicle like that.

Pulled off the highway, called fiat corporate to open a ticket and waiting roadside assistance to come tow it as I no longer feel safe driving.

Edit: no idea why the thread title has "reason" in it, lol. Smartphone being enthusiastic I think.

Hi cblais19,

Keep us posted on the dealership diagnosis. Please let me know if I can be of any assistance to you at this time.

cblais19
03-12-2015, 09:20 AM
So does anybody know if the Gsm referenced in the NHTSA recall is part of the transmission module? Fiat has authoriZed the replacement of the transmission which is great, but our experienced symptoms seem to match the recall and I want to make sure that aspect is not neglected.

Also, although it's taken 3 tries to get action due to the "unable to verify" deal they're coming through when all is said and done.

cblais19
03-28-2015, 06:22 PM
Just an update. We got the new transmission installed and took possession of the car back from the dealership on Wednesday. It rained overnight and when my wife went to get in and head off to work she noticed a puddle of water in the rear seat footwell behind the drivers seat. Took it to the dealership Friday (after more rain and a completely soaked floor area behind the drivers seat), they did a quick tear apart and the service guy blamed it on our after-market sunroof we had added as a dealer add-on. Went to the sunroof folks, who returned it to the dealership today saying it has nothing to do with anything they did. So it's sitting at the dealer again.

Our salesman has been the brightest spot of this whole experience, he worked with his GM to get us a loaner 500L off their lot. We've noticed that despite our car having a brand new transmission it still drives and shifts very differently then this new one, leading me to believe the new transmission did not address our serious underlying issue. At this point our car has been at the dealer for more then a month over the 9 months since purchase.

Andree
03-28-2015, 08:06 PM
Just an update. We got the new transmission installed and took possession of the car back from the dealership on Wednesday. It rained overnight and when my wife went to get in and head off to work she noticed a puddle of water in the rear seat footwell behind the drivers seat. Took it to the dealership Friday (after more rain and a completely soaked floor area behind the drivers seat), they did a quick tear apart and the service guy blamed it on our after-market sunroof we had added as a dealer add-on. Went to the sunroof folks, who returned it to the dealership today saying it has nothing to do with anything they did. So it's sitting at the dealer again.

Our salesman has been the brightest spot of this whole experience, he worked with his GM to get us a loaner 500L off their lot. We've noticed that despite our car having a brand new transmission it still drives and shifts very differently then this new one, leading me to believe the new transmission did not address our serious underlying issue. At this point our car has been at the dealer for more then a month over the 9 months since purchase.

I'm going to send you over to FitFreak, a forum I spent a lot of time in when I had my Honda Fit. I am TaffetaWhite over there. This is a post where someone had mystery water in their back seat floor area. Thanks to the great pictures the person with trouble posted, it became easy to see where the problem was occurring, which was INSIDE THE DOOR PANEL.

Here's a link to the photos and my reply:
http://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/44839-extreme-water-dampness-under-back-seats.html#post726240

You can do the same thing, as I suggested there. Dry off the door, leave that rear door OPEN, and pour water on the closed window glass at the base of the window. Then look at the underside of the door. If there is water coming out of the base of the interior plastics it's leaking through an internal plastic sheet.

All it takes is a tiny leak to make a big mess. And from just doing a search for "leak" the forum, it appears many other people ended up with the same problem...years later. I had to sign back in, in order to find my old post, because those pictures the vehicle owner posted SHOW there is water coming from where water should not be coming.

P.S. THIS is why I love forums, all forums, that have pics, and the pics stick around. That is a post I made in 2009. It is STILL a good reference, with those pictures, for ANY car or truck. You can use the bucket on the glass thing for any vehicle, and it couldn't be any cheaper to try out. And you have a way to show the dealership (any dealership) of what is happening.

Give it a whirl and tell us if this pinpoints the water on the floor problem!

Providence
04-12-2015, 12:32 AM
I have a 500L and got a new transmission just before 10,000 miles (or at least they told me they put a new one in.) After a few transmission issues my car would not go into reverse. Was towed to dealer and they said Fiat was giving me new transmission. The car still emits smoke when I am in stop and go traffic in NYC. I fear my car may need yet another transmission as well. Dealer says smoke issue is because I drive the car in automatic instead of manual, but I know other 500L owners have this issue as well.

FiatCares
04-13-2015, 04:46 PM
I have a 500L and got a new transmission just before 10,000 miles (or at least they told me they put a new one in.) After a few transmission issues my car would not go into reverse. Was towed to dealer and they said Fiat was giving me new transmission. The car still emits smoke when I am in stop and go traffic in NYC. I fear my car may need yet another transmission as well. Dealer says smoke issue is because I drive the car in automatic instead of manual, but I know other 500L owners have this issue as well.

Hi Providence,
Could you please PM me your VIN#, contact information, and the name of the FIAT studio you are currently working with so that I can look into your concerns?