PDA

View Full Version : Body Control Module #15-019 done to my 500L

500L_MTL
03-05-2015, 09:48 PM
Hello,

I brought in my wife's 2014 500L Lounge today for the first un-scheduled service trip. The car has just under 29,000 km and other than an oil change and the recalls, we have never required service.

For the second time this winter, the car wouldn't shift past D2 then shortly after, Excessive Radiator Temperature popped up on the display. The temperature was -20C to -25C...ie very cold. We always plug the block heater (especially since Montreal has had horribly cold weather this winter).

My wife pulled over and turned off the car. It would turn over and after a couple of attempts, the car started and off she went. This time though, the transmission seemed to hold the gears a lot longer than normal and was slow to downshift at a stop.

We also noticed that the remote car starter sometimes attempted to start the car but failed so this made me think there was an issue with the battery.

Anyway we brought it in this morning for the issues above and I also mentioned that the back up camera display stutters ever since the flash last year.

Right away, the service advisor said there was a #15-019 reprogram that needed to be done. Fiat released the upgrade to the BCM firmware to correct a possible slow drain on the battery. He also mentioned (once I picked up the car) that they couldn't reproduce the D2 issue when testing the upgraded software however they believe this reprogram should correct the issue. He also mentioned that remote car starters can sometimes cause issues with "these Fiats". We purchased the car used end of December 2013 and the remote starter was already installed. He did not believe this was the cause but he thought it was worth mentioning.

The car felt fine on the way home so hopefully this fix will work.

As for the back up camera stutter, they claim this is normal. I did not push this further as I'll bring a print out of a forum post where one of the members had their whole unit replaced and the stutter was gone.

Just thought I'd mention that there is a reprogram/flash upgrade for the BCM that could potentially fix a lot of issues related to a slow battery drain and thus weak battery.

The car has been a pleasure to own. I guess we are one of the lucky few that have had a solid experience.

Mike

Tweak
03-05-2015, 09:50 PM
Welcome to the forum Mike. Good the issue seems to be resolved, hopefully they'll square away the camera issue as well.

woodyracing
03-05-2015, 10:51 PM
Yeah, you should be good now, those symptoms are very common with low battery issues on the L. They do very very funky things with a low battery.

FiatCACares
03-06-2015, 11:48 AM
Hello,

I brought in my wife's 2014 500L Lounge today for the first un-scheduled service trip. The car has just under 29,000 km and other than an oil change and the recalls, we have never required service.

For the second time this winter, the car wouldn't shift past D2 then shortly after, Excessive Radiator Temperature popped up on the display. The temperature was -20C to -25C...ie very cold. We always plug the block heater (especially since Montreal has had horribly cold weather this winter).

My wife pulled over and turned off the car. It would turn over and after a couple of attempts, the car started and off she went. This time though, the transmission seemed to hold the gears a lot longer than normal and was slow to downshift at a stop.

We also noticed that the remote car starter sometimes attempted to start the car but failed so this made me think there was an issue with the battery.

Anyway we brought it in this morning for the issues above and I also mentioned that the back up camera display stutters ever since the flash last year.

Right away, the service advisor said there was a #15-019 reprogram that needed to be done. Fiat released the upgrade to the BCM firmware to correct a possible slow drain on the battery. He also mentioned (once I picked up the car) that they couldn't reproduce the D2 issue when testing the upgraded software however they believe this reprogram should correct the issue. He also mentioned that remote car starters can sometimes cause issues with "these Fiats". We purchased the car used end of December 2013 and the remote starter was already installed. He did not believe this was the cause but he thought it was worth mentioning.

The car felt fine on the way home so hopefully this fix will work.

As for the back up camera stutter, they claim this is normal. I did not push this further as I'll bring a print out of a forum post where one of the members had their whole unit replaced and the stutter was gone.

Just thought I'd mention that there is a reprogram/flash upgrade for the BCM that could potentially fix a lot of issues related to a slow battery drain and thus weak battery.

The car has been a pleasure to own. I guess we are one of the lucky few that have had a solid experience.

Mike

500L_MTL,

I'm pleased to hear you're enjoying your 500L! In regards to the back-up camera stutter, I would recommend monitoring the symptom and following-up with the Service Manager at your Studio if necessary. Does the camera stutter every time you shift into reverse?

X19
03-06-2015, 12:54 PM
My camera also stutters, while the car is moving; if I shift into reverse and don't move the car, the image is still.
By the way, I am not the only one who noticed this started after one of the updates - wasn't always like this.
Studio said it was "normal." Relatively minor issue for me, so I haven't pursued it further.

500L_MTL
03-06-2015, 02:25 PM
Hello Dave,

Yes the camera stutters every time. Bascially, it looks smooth then skips frames then smooth again. As X19 mentions, this is a minor issue. I will bring it up during our next scheduled oil change and see if there is a fix by then.

I am more concerned with the fact that the NAV maps have not been updated since the 500L was released in NA. This is our first car with an integrated NAV system (I still use my trusty Tom Tom) and am disappointed that map updates are not available. I would have assumed the maps would be updated by Fiat at least during the standard warranty period or give us the option to download to a USB key and update ourselves. Still not a huge issue but worth noting.

Mike

FiatCACares
03-06-2015, 03:53 PM
My camera also stutters, while the car is moving; if I shift into reverse and don't move the car, the image is still.
By the way, I am not the only one who noticed this started after one of the updates - wasn't always like this.
Studio said it was "normal." Relatively minor issue for me, so I haven't pursued it further.

Hello Dave,

Yes the camera stutters every time. Bascially, it looks smooth then skips frames then smooth again. As X19 mentions, this is a minor issue. I will bring it up during our next scheduled oil change and see if there is a fix by then.

I am more concerned with the fact that the NAV maps have not been updated since the 500L was released in NA. This is our first car with an integrated NAV system (I still use my trusty Tom Tom) and am disappointed that map updates are not available. I would have assumed the maps would be updated by Fiat at least during the standard warranty period or give us the option to download to a USB key and update ourselves. Still not a huge issue but worth noting.

Mike

X19,

Having noted this with your Studio is a good step. Keep an eye on it and stay in touch with your Studio if any questions arise. Your Studio can verify if there are any available updates when you return for oil changes or regular maintenance.

500L_MTL,

In terms of updates to your navigation system, they are supplied by the navigation provider. Your Studio can inform you when an update to the system becomes available.

DDT
03-07-2015, 11:58 AM
Hi 500L_MTL

I'm wondering if the update to the BCM added the functionality of raising / lowering all windows via the RKE FOB. It seems that cars manufactured prior to 7/2013 don't have that with the original BCM. I had and Easy with the DDCT that had gearbox problems , manuf. 7/2013. RKE would R/L the windows. I now have a Trekking w/ manual gearbox, manuf. 5/2013 that doesn't R/L windows via RKE.

When was your 500L manufactured. It is on the étiquette on B pilar of the driver's door

500L_MTL
03-12-2015, 01:12 PM
Hi 500L_MTL

I'm wondering if the update to the BCM added the functionality of raising / lowering all windows via the RKE FOB. It seems that cars manufactured prior to 7/2013 don't have that with the original BCM. I had and Easy with the DDCT that had gearbox problems , manuf. 7/2013. RKE would R/L the windows. I now have a Trekking w/ manual gearbox, manuf. 5/2013 that doesn't R/L windows via RKE.

When was your 500L manufactured. It is on the étiquette on B pilar of the driver's door

Hello DDT,

The date of manufacture is 05/13. I have not had a chance to try to lower or raise the windows yet. I'll grab my wife's key and try it. I assume if I hold the unlock button for a certain amount of time the windows would lower correct?

On a side note, the car has been running great lately. Even my wife notices the behavior of the transmission seems much smoother. Hard to explain but it feels like the transmission is shifting at better moments without any hesitation...the shifts feel less random.

Mike

DDT
03-12-2015, 10:36 PM
Hello DDT,

The date of manufacture is 05/13. I have not had a chance to try to lower or raise the windows yet. I'll grab my wife's key and try it. I assume if I hold the unlock button for a certain amount of time the windows would lower correct?

On a side note, the car has been running great lately. Even my wife notices the behavior of the transmission seems much smoother. Hard to explain but it feels like the transmission is shifting at better moments without any hesitation...the shifts feel less random.

Mike

Yes. 500L_MTL, you hold down the button and the windows will roll down. If you hold down the lock button they will roll up.

Great news to hear that the car is running better.