PDA

View Full Version : 500L Engine Fluttering

Josue6k
02-18-2015, 09:52 PM
I bought my 500L POP brand new the end of July 2014, Absolutely love the car Its great for my wife and new born. The car was fairly quite and comfortable to drive around
But, before my first oil change, I did around 3000 miles the Engine has been making a loud fluttering noise and its embarrassing to show off since it sound like an old car that has been running for 10+years.
I was told that the engine just needed to be broken in a little bit and the sound would eventually disappear. Eventually my second oil change came still sound hasn't gone away and was again told the engine is still being broken into. Finally I went to compare the engine sound with a brand new fiat 500L at the dealership I've bought it at and the engine were two totally different sounds, Mine loud and fluttery that could be herd from over 40ft away, the new 500L only fluttered when it started and sound smooth the rest of the time it was on.
So he called his service guy asked a couple questioned, I was then told to try running a tank of Premium Gas , I only use Chevron Premium gas since I bought it.
So he replied and said to set an appointment up for the plugs to be changed out, The spark plugs were all changed out and still the noise is still loud. The noise sounds like it may be coming from more than one area.

I've posted a video sorry if you can't here I live right off a busy highway. Here is the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_HpwUrteqE&feature=youtu.be

http://youtu.be/v_HpwUrteqE

Any recommendations or Ideas of what else they could be?????

Fabio13
02-19-2015, 03:04 AM
Valve adjustment?

Rally500
02-19-2015, 08:53 PM
Valve adjustment?
Mine doesn't sound that way at all,I m a bmw trained technician and that doesn't sound break in whatever that person told you,it seems like a mix of loose stuff and exhaust leak.You should go to another studio for 2 nd opinion,definitely not normal at all.And valves on that engine has no adjustments.
Good luck and keep us posted on the outcomes.

Timetrapper
02-19-2015, 09:11 PM
Mine doesn't sound that way at all,I m a bmw trained technician and that doesn't sound break in whatever that person told you,it seems like a mix of loose stuff and exhaust leak.You should go to another studio for 2 nd opinion,definitely not normal at all.And valves on that engine has no adjustments.

yep I second going to another studio. You will see a night and day difference. Some studios know very little, while others are very experienced and know their stuff. They could be in 2 cities close by to each other and have such a huge difference in knowledge and customer service.

Josue6k
02-20-2015, 04:58 AM

Thanks I will do that for sure. I will keep you all updated...

FiatCares
02-24-2015, 02:43 PM
I bought my 500L POP brand new the end of July 2014, Absolutely love the car Its great for my wife and new born. The car was fairly quite and comfortable to drive around
But, before my first oil change, I did around 3000 miles the Engine has been making a loud fluttering noise and its embarrassing to show off since it sound like an old car that has been running for 10+years.
I was told that the engine just needed to be broken in a little bit and the sound would eventually disappear. Eventually my second oil change came still sound hasn't gone away and was again told the engine is still being broken into. Finally I went to compare the engine sound with a brand new fiat 500L at the dealership I've bought it at and the engine were two totally different sounds, Mine loud and fluttery that could be herd from over 40ft away, the new 500L only fluttered when it started and sound smooth the rest of the time it was on.
So he called his service guy asked a couple questioned, I was then told to try running a tank of Premium Gas , I only use Chevron Premium gas since I bought it.
So he replied and said to set an appointment up for the plugs to be changed out, The spark plugs were all changed out and still the noise is still loud. The noise sounds like it may be coming from more than one area.

I've posted a video sorry if you can't here I live right off a busy highway. Here is the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_HpwUrteqE&feature=youtu.be

http://youtu.be/v_HpwUrteqE

Any recommendations or Ideas of what else they could be?????

Hi Josue6k,

Please let me know how things go at the second dealership. If you require further support in achieving a resolution, I would be happy to assist you.

MAZ
02-24-2015, 03:45 PM
Wow, that is some loud valvetrain. That sounds naaasty..
Check your oil for sure. Perhaps a thicker weight?

streetsurfer
02-24-2015, 05:26 PM
Have an oil sample drawn and tested. Thinned out oil due to fuel dilution, which can happen during break in or because of mechanical problems, will make a motor operate more noisily (while doing damage to the internals).

Josue6k
03-02-2015, 01:46 AM
Hi Josue6k,

Please let me know how things go at the second dealership. If you require further support in achieving a resolution, I would be happy to assist you.

Thank You!!! I will for sure keep everyone informed..

Randy G.
03-03-2015, 02:09 AM
That sound is likely the fuel injectors for each cylinder. High fuel pressure is fed through the fuel rail and the computer opens and shuts the injectors very quickly. My wife's Mercedes sounds the same.

ronbo10
03-18-2015, 09:48 AM
That sound is likely the fuel injectors for each cylinder. High fuel pressure is fed through the fuel rail and the computer opens and shuts the injectors very quickly. My wife's Mercedes sounds the same.

My first thought was the Multi-air valve train. Fiats with Multi-air use solenoids to (indirectly) open and close the intake valves. Our 500L's engine makes a certain amount of clatter, most noticeable at idle. Ours sounds kind of like yours, though maybe not as pronounced. I've never found it to be bothersome or objectionable though. It's hard to say- recordings on the web are notoriously inaccurate when compared with actually being present to listen to whatever it is that's the subject of the video, particularly with respect to car and motorcycle sounds, so I reserve judgement here.

Randy G.
03-19-2015, 12:52 AM
Mine is mistaken by my friends as a rod knock. :confused

Tweak
03-19-2015, 10:27 AM
Mine is mistaken by my friends as a rod knock. :confused

Guess they aren't familiar with the sounds of the Multi-Air engine.

tytotheler92
03-25-2015, 10:50 PM
You have a fuel injector opening and closing at all times, plus the solenoid for the multi-air system opening and closing as needed....mine sounds no worse then any direct injection engine I've ever heard. (Which these are not, which has it's merits)

Anyways, to the OP, I can kinda hear the fluttering......I almost wonder if the timing belt isn't tensioned right? I would definitely take it to another dealer.

aelfwyne
04-01-2015, 12:21 AM
Wonder what happened?

I've noticed these engines sound a bit like a diesel, from up front though. Modern direct injection fuel injectors do "clatter" a lot. Not something drivers of older cars are used to. Plus the MultiAir is rather high compression even without a turbo. Put those together and you get a diesel sounding idle noise from up front. Though that doesn't sound like it's running totally smooth, I'm not used to the Turbo so I couldn't say. I'd simply ask to hear another one run and see if it sounds the same.

Davidandtracy
04-14-2015, 03:53 PM
Sounds like oil not getting to lifters to me.