PDA

View Full Version : wheel help!!

luka
02-13-2015, 08:49 PM
Does anyone know if a 17x9 with a +20 offset will fit the abarth?

nojeebs
02-14-2015, 06:09 AM
No unless you plan to roll and pull fenders

SuperTony
02-14-2015, 09:27 AM
I went through three wheel experiments when I got my ABARTH. I settled on a 17 x 7.5 rim with a 30 mm offset. I have no rubbing and less than 5 mm clearance inside and out with 205/40 tires. Some peeps have gone a little wider but I don't know if they modified any fitment. Just wanted to share my experience for your knowledge.

luka
02-14-2015, 11:21 AM
@nojeebs what's the biggest offset I can go before modification is needed?

nojeebs
02-14-2015, 07:00 PM
I'm guessing you mean lowest offset? Biggest offset would sink the wheel in closer to the hub. SuperTony is pretty much at that max in terms of what you can fit without modifying fenders. You can push the offset lower or go wider but then you'll probably rub on the fender liner while in reverse...which isn't normally a dealer breaker for anyone trying to get a flush fitment. I would highly recommend you to consider rolling the fenders at least to gain that extra clearance.

Abarth Daddy
02-14-2015, 07:28 PM
I'm guessing you mean lowest offset? Biggest offset would sink the wheel in closer to the hub. SuperTony is pretty much at that max in terms of what you can fit without modifying fenders. You can push the offset lower or go wider but then you'll probably rub on the fender liner while in reverse...which isn't normally a dealer breaker for anyone trying to get a flush fitment. I would highly recommend you to consider rolling the fenders at least to gain that extra clearance.
Question, if you try to roll the rear fender, won't it no longer remain flush with the molded rear end? The metal rear quarter will bend and retain shape, but where the rear end meets up with it, is kind of high and doesn't retain any shape you put on it. Just wondering how that works?

MikeThinks
02-14-2015, 07:46 PM
Since I'd never though of rolling my fenders, I never thought of that...but your right. You could of course just fade in the roll so they remain flush (or at least almost flush), but then your really not accomplishing much are you :) I wonder how they do it for the cars with the arch extensions? On a the original question, I would be cautious about the inner clearance, as by my calculations, your 7-10mm closer to the suspension and wheel well, especially if your not going for the stretched look (ick)

Tweak
02-14-2015, 09:49 PM
Since I'd never though of rolling my fenders, I never thought of that...but your right. You could of course just fade in the roll so they remain flush (or at least almost flush), but then your really not accomplishing much are you :) I wonder how they do it for the cars with the arch extensions? On a the original question, I would be cautious about the inner clearance, as by my calculations, your 7-10mm closer to the suspension and wheel well, especially if your not going for the stretched look (ick)

Some if not all that add the arch extensions or flared fenders actually cut the existing lip/edge. I know I have seen that done but again I can only say some, maybe all.

nojeebs
02-15-2015, 02:03 AM
Question, if you try to roll the rear fender, won't it no longer remain flush with the molded rear end? The metal rear quarter will bend and retain shape, but where the rear end meets up with it, is kind of high and doesn't retain any shape you put on it. Just wondering how that works?

You don't roll all the way to the edge as you really don't have to. You only have to concern yourself with rolling the middle of the arch and then fade the sides because the first point of contact will be the top of the tire/wheel. When you pull the rear fenders the bumper pulls with it and follows the new body line you made. Getting extremely low you'd have to relocate the rear bumper tabs to make clearance for the tire to tuck.

http://i.imgur.com/ltdusJhh.jpg

I like that added ick at the end. Bwahaha. But yeah with 17x9 +20 you'll be 10mm closer to the strut which is fine. He should be more concerned about the extra 40mm the wheel sticks out over the optional 17s the Abarth can come with.

Some if not all that add the arch extensions or flared fenders actually cut the existing lip/edge. I know I have seen that done but again I can only say some, maybe all.

The shop that handled my flares cut roughly 3 inches off the stock fenders. Oddly enough I have seen people install flares without cutting the body and wonder why they can't drive around on a wider/lower offset wheel without rubbing everywhere. It's almost cute like a baby eating a lemon for the first time.....