PDA

View Full Version : 500L not starting

bigreys5
02-11-2015, 08:25 PM
My 2014 Fiat 500L has not been starting up when I first start it. This happens when I first get in the car. It cranks, but will not turn over. The radio comes on, lights, all the normal noises are made, but that final start. I have to try to start the car, then stop and let it sit, about 5 - 8 times, then it will finally start- this takes about 10 minutes. If I get it started, I can stop somewhere (like to get gas), then turn off the car and it will start again. But to start it that first time, it will not start. I called the dealership the first day this happened, and took it in 3 days later on my first off day. My car has 5500 miles on it. Now the dealership is holding my car hostage- they have had my car for 20 days. About once a week either they call me or I call them to find out about it. The first day I brought it to them, they sent me to get a rental car. After taking the time to get the rental car, I went grocery shopping and had just gotten home. They called me back and said they could not find anything wrong with my car, it was starting fine and to return the rental car and come get the car. I went straight to the dealership. They wanted to show me that it was starting. I explained that for three days each and every time, about 4 times each day, it had not started the first time I tried starting. They told me that they did not find anything on the diagnostic and could not duplicate the not starting. I got in the car, and the car would not start. He kept the car and sent me home in the rental car. They kept my car for 20 days and called me today, saying that they tried three times in that 20 days to start the car and each time it started, and it still showed nothing in the diagnostic. I returned the rental car, showed up to the dealership, picked up my keys, got in my car, and guess what. My car did not start. The service rep called the service manager to see and hear the noise it was making as it was not turning over, about 6-8 times. They took a panel off the engine. After about 8 times, the car started. They sent me back to the rental car place to get another car.

ManOfStealth
02-11-2015, 10:32 PM
I had a issue like this but not as bad. Wife called one morning and said it took 5 to 6 cranks to get the car started. I took it at lunch the same day and had no problems. A few days later I was detailing the car and had windows down with radio going as I was cleaning the car. Once i stopped cleaning and was ready to move the car I got nothing but a dead car, no cranking or anything. Windows would not move and radio would not work. I did get a few messages on the car display like "hot coolant" and "no ABS". So I put a trickle charger on it for a few hours. Windows went up and car started but with a little hesitation. Drove it to work the next day and then at lunch strait to the dealer. Battery was bad. They installed a new one and did an update on the computer. Now I turn the key and the thing cranks right up like it should. My car sat at the dealer for some time and was manufatured in 06/2013. Serbia has some weak ass batteries so get a Mopar one if you can. Good luck. Randall

Tweak
02-11-2015, 10:46 PM
Welcome to the forum.

Perhaps like several others it is just a bad battery and maybe some updates needed. Hopefully they figure something out for you soon.

Rally500
02-12-2015, 12:14 AM
My 2014 Fiat 500L has not been starting up when I first start it. This happens when I first get in the car. It cranks, but will not turn over. The radio comes on, lights, all the normal noises are made, but that final start. I have to try to start the car, then stop and let it sit, about 5 - 8 times, then it will finally start- this takes about 10 minutes. If I get it started, I can stop somewhere (like to get gas), then turn off the car and it will start again. But to start it that first time, it will not start. I called the dealership the first day this happened, and took it in 3 days later on my first off day. My car has 5500 miles on it. Now the dealership is holding my car hostage- they have had my car for 20 days. About once a week either they call me or I call them to find out about it. The first day I brought it to them, they sent me to get a rental car. After taking the time to get the rental car, I went grocery shopping and had just gotten home. They called me back and said they could not find anything wrong with my car, it was starting fine and to return the rental car and come get the car. I went straight to the dealership. They wanted to show me that it was starting. I explained that for three days each and every time, about 4 times each day, it had not started the first time I tried starting. They told me that they did not find anything on the diagnostic and could not duplicate the not starting. I got in the car, and the car would not start. He kept the car and sent me home in the rental car. They kept my car for 20 days and called me today, saying that they tried three times in that 20 days to start the car and each time it started, and it still showed nothing in the diagnostic. I returned the rental car, showed up to the dealership, picked up my keys, got in my car, and guess what. My car did not start. The service rep called the service manager to see and hear the noise it was making as it was not turning over, about 6-8 times. They took a panel off the engine. After about 8 times, the car started. They sent me back to the rental car place to get another car.
Hi there I had a similar problem it would take time to fire up like 10 seconds it was intermitant I brought the car at the studio and updated engine control unit and since then never happened,ask the studio to update software for engine control unit.
Cheers

Fiat500USA
02-12-2015, 11:55 AM
Fiat has a Technical Service Bulletin (Tech Bulletin or TSB) on improving the starting performance on the Fiat 500L.

Fiat 500L Technical Bulletin: 18-017-14: Improved Engine Crank Times And Engine Performance Enhancements
Dated: March 27, 2014

Fiat TSB 18-017-14 involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Powertrain ControlModule (PCM) with new software.

Models effected:2014 (BF) 500L

NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 1.4L engine (sales codeEAM) built on or before January 10, 1014 (MDH0110XX).

Issue: Fiat owner may experience **MIL Illumination P113D- O2 Sensor 1/1 Slow Responseand** long crank time on engine start up.

I'd assume that they checked this/updated your PCM, but it may be worth mentioning. See if your car falls in that date/VIN range: http://www.fiat500usa.com/2013/08/decoding-fiat-500-vin.html

Let us know.

Sipde
02-12-2015, 02:49 PM
That PCM re-reprogram worked on my Trekking with the same issue as well.

There is also a TSB that came out on Tuesday for the Intermittent battery drain that a few of us have had.
08-012-15 It's another BCM updated software program. This is for vehicles built on or before Dec 23, 2014

FiatCares
02-24-2015, 02:34 PM

Hi bigreys5,

I just wanted to check in and see if the TSB that Fiat500USA recommended above was able to solve your engine startup issue?

bigreys5
02-24-2015, 08:25 PM
Hi bigreys5,

I just wanted to check in and see if the TSB that Fiat500USA recommended above was able to solve your engine startup issue?

After not hearing from the service office since they tried to send me home in my car last time it would not start, I called them today. They said again, "It has been starting fine for us, we can't find anything wrong with it, etc..." This time they said that my husband's key fob may have been interfering with the signal from my key, which did not make since to me, as it had been starting fine with both keys on the key ring for 6 months before this started. But to humor him, we went to the dealership to test this without his key with us at all. The service advisor in charge of our car said it has started right up each time he has tried it since we brought it in (NOW 31 DAYS AGO). Nothing shows up on the diagnostic still. He claims they started it today. I got in it, again let me stress, without my husband's key at all with us ( which they were sure was the cause of the problem), and they car would not start. They did not want me to try to start it again. I told them what you guys have told me about the updates, and he said that my car is fully updated. He claims that he has never heard of this problem before on any other Fiat. I told him about this forum and about the problems that others are also having.

He wants us to come back tomorrow so I can try to start the car again wearing my coat and with the same keys again. This is getting ridiculous, they have done nothing to actually fix the car.

Another thing to note. The rental car they gave me is also the Fiat 500L, guess what? IT has been very cold here these last two weeks. On very cold mornings, it also does not start right away. It does not take as many cranks as mine to start up- mine usually takes about 8-10 tries, this one takes about 5. My car is a manual transmission, the rental is an automatic. I am not sure if this is what the difference is or if it is because my car is the older version and the rental is slightly newer model, but my car takes slightly longer to start. The rental only does it in the mornings, it starts the rest of the times.

Tweak
02-24-2015, 10:55 PM
After not hearing from the service office since they tried to send me home in my car last time it would not start, I called them today. They said again, "It has been starting fine for us, we can't find anything wrong with it, etc..." This time they said that my husband's key fob may have been interfering with the signal from my key, which did not make since to me, as it had been starting fine with both keys on the key ring for 6 months before this started. But to humor him, we went to the dealership to test this without his key with us at all. The service advisor in charge of our car said it has started right up each time he has tried it since we brought it in (NOW 31 DAYS AGO). Nothing shows up on the diagnostic still. He claims they started it today. I got in it, again let me stress, without my husband's key at all with us ( which they were sure was the cause of the problem), and they car would not start. They did not want me to try to start it again. I told them what you guys have told me about the updates, and he said that my car is fully updated. He claims that he has never heard of this problem before on any other Fiat. I told him about this forum and about the problems that others are also having.

He wants us to come back tomorrow so I can try to start the car again wearing my coat and with the same keys again. This is getting ridiculous, they have done nothing to actually fix the car.

Another thing to note. The rental car they gave me is also the Fiat 500L, guess what? IT has been very cold here these last two weeks. On very cold mornings, it also does not start right away. It does not take as many cranks as mine to start up- mine usually takes about 8-10 tries, this one takes about 5. My car is a manual transmission, the rental is an automatic. I am not sure if this is what the difference is or if it is because my car is the older version and the rental is slightly newer model, but my car takes slightly longer to start. The rental only does it in the mornings, it starts the rest of the times.

Funny thing is the Enterprise Rental Car place my dealer uses wires the two keys together so such a claim of confusing the car with multiple keys sounds like them looking for an easy way out of fixing the issue they apparently cannot find. Hope it gets resolved soon!

Timetrapper
02-25-2015, 12:05 AM
bigrey, take it to another dealership!! I've been reading this forum for about half a year and often read about 500L owners and 2012 Fiat owners posting about getting lemons. Its always the same stuff, they go to a dealership that doesn't know anything. I would drive the extra 2-4 hours and get to a better dealership.

Secondly, man I feel bad you got that lemon. if you look through these forums you will find other owners of 500L's and 2012 Fiat owners who have problems that can't seem to get fixed. I would recommend trading that car in IF in the end you end up stuck with the lemon and no dealerships or fiat people end up being to help you. Its a dud/lemon/POS. Sorry about you got such a bad car. If you are through with Fiat and don't want another Fiat, or even if you do, let me know and I will try to look up some other cars for you on cargurus.com I use that site a lot so I know how to find the best deals on there. let me know where you live, how far you are willing to drive, and what price range you are in, and I can try to send you links from there.

if you don't end up getting rid of that lemon, well I hope you at least get a dealership that can help you. it should be covered under the warranty I hope! so definitely try to find another location to help you. best of luck to you buddy :nightmare:

FiatCares
02-25-2015, 10:32 AM

Could you please PM me with your VIN#, contact information, and the name of the dealership you are working with so that I can look into your concerns a little further?