PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered some new parts, thoughts

Klasse Act
02-07-2015, 11:00 AM
So its tax time once again and after paying off our new furniture and my winter tires I had some money left over and decided to "upgrade" the perf further of my Abarth. I will say I was seriously considering the Nue-F red 5 spoke wheels and call it a day but like the saying goes "power corrupts" and I'm corrupted!!!

Currently I have the 500 Madness V2 tuning box, set to #7, Euro Compulsion V2 SRI and MPx axle-back. I now have ordered the 500 Madness lightened crank pulley and I'm in on the latest group buy for the ATM FMIC. I was told by Madness that once I got a FMIC I could turn my box up to setting #8 as 93 octane is all over here, so that's not an issue for me. I guess I have to ask, when are you able to turn up to setting #9 and #10 (is there an 11, LOL!)

I would appreciate any input/impressions about my upcoming mods, suggestions, stories, etc, say what you will:thumbsup:

Abarth Five O
02-07-2015, 02:42 PM
IIRC, some have experienced a point of diminishing returns i.e. performance over certain setting.

Klasse Act
02-07-2015, 02:58 PM
IIRC, some have experienced a point of diminishing returns i.e. performance over certain setting.

Do remember which setting that was/is by chance?

I know when my buddy went from setting #6 to #7 it made a difference. That said, I'm all about it being safe, so I can't see maxing out the tuning box and would probably just turn it up to setting #8 and call it a day.

BTW I'm really considering the MPx ported TB to go along with these mods now.

Abarth Five O
02-07-2015, 05:27 PM
IIRC, after 8 it started to drop off. Good luck w/ the MPx TB, a few have experienced mfg. issues and cels from faulty installs.

Klasse Act
02-07-2015, 09:05 PM
IIRC, after 8 it started to drop off. Good luck w/ the MPx TB, a few have experienced mfg. issues and cels from faulty installs.

Faulty install by the installer or how it was re-worked?

Abarth Five O
02-07-2015, 09:59 PM
Faulty install by the installer or how it was re-worked? search the threads on this subject

Klasse Act
02-08-2015, 01:45 PM
When all the current mods are installed I'd have the following:

-500 Madness tuning box turned to setting #8
-EC SRI
-MPx axle-back
-MPx ported TB
-500 Madness lightened crank pulley
-ATM FMIC

Here's the question, what kind of hp/torque numbers should I expect. Keep in mind 93 octane is everywhere here, thanks inadvance.

Tweak
02-09-2015, 12:49 AM
That is a TMC based module and has a max setting of 9. I had one and ran it at 9 (because there was no 10) but eventually backed it down to 7 (I think) and it was more enjoyable to drive. You can push to level 9 without the mods but I guess the thinking is having this or that will allow you to better take advantage of the higher settings. I ran level 9 for a long time with only an intake by the way.

Klasse Act
02-09-2015, 11:50 AM
That is a TMC based module and has a max setting of 9. I had one and ran it at 9 (because there was no 10) but eventually backed it down to 7 (I think) and it was more enjoyable to drive. You can push to level 9 without the mods but I guess the thinking is having this or that will allow you to better take advantage of the higher settings. I ran level 9 for a long time with only an intake by the way.

When you say it was "more enjoyable to drive" can you further explain that? I was told by 500 Madness that I could go go #8 once I got the FMIC, so I'm thinking the boost level is higher by a fair amount, maybe 2 lbs say? I'm sure the 500 Madness lightened pulley as well as the MPx ported TB will also help make setting #8 "enjoyable". I should say I drive 13 miles one way to work, mostly freeway and usually use the cruize control too. I don't speed per say but when the occasion arises, I wanna be ready. I mess around but nothing serious or too often.

Klasse Act
02-09-2015, 12:25 PM
I do plan on taking the car to a dyno after all of this and I'd be happy with a 200/200 number. I will get an AFR number to see if the setting of #8 is safe, who knows, maybe setting #9 is possible. I know this, I will go on the side of caution for sure, this is my DD and love the car!!

Gharbeson
02-09-2015, 01:52 PM
So its tax time once again and after paying off our new furniture and my winter tires I had some money left over and decided to "upgrade" the perf further of my Abarth. I will say I was seriously considering the Nue-F red 5 spoke wheels and call it a day but like the saying goes "power corrupts" and I'm corrupted!!!

Currently I have the 500 Madness V2 tuning box, set to #7, Euro Compulsion V2 SRI and MPx axle-back. I now have ordered the 500 Madness lightened crank pulley and I'm in on the latest group buy for the ATM FMIC. I was told by Madness that once I got a FMIC I could turn my box up to setting #8 as 93 octane is all over here, so that's not an issue for me. I guess I have to ask, when are you able to turn up to setting #9 and #10 (is there an 11, LOL!)

I would appreciate any input/impressions about my upcoming mods, suggestions, stories, etc, say what you will:thumbsup:

Sounds like some great mods! On the Madness V2 box: I had it in my Abarth and thought is was a nice add on. We have done extensive tweaking on my car because it is raced extensively, at our track, and in high speed events such as the Texas Mile. On the dyno we were tweaking the Madness box and found that settings over 6, while adding a few more HP and Tq showed an alarming lean condition in the AFR, going to below 10 at very high revs. This is not good. I'd use it at 6 and I think you'll be happy. The box actually goes a bit richer at high rpm (above 6,000) which apparently is an ECU event to protect the engine. For what it's worth! Ciao

Tweak
02-09-2015, 02:31 PM
When you say it was "more enjoyable to drive" can you further explain that? I was told by 500 Madness that I could go go #8 once I got the FMIC, so I'm thinking the boost level is higher by a fair amount, maybe 2 lbs say? I'm sure the 500 Madness lightened pulley as well as the MPx ported TB will also help make setting #8 "enjoyable". I should say I drive 13 miles one way to work, mostly freeway and usually use the cruize control too. I don't speed per say but when the occasion arises, I wanna be ready. I mess around but nothing serious or too often.

By enjoyable I mean the power delivery is smoother and to some degree it feels less like the boost is a huge load dumped on you suddenly. It still has the dumped on feel of power suddenly but it is a noticeable difference between the settings.

Sounds like some great mods! On the Madness V2 box: I had it in my Abarth and thought is was a nice add on. We have done extensive tweaking on my car because it is raced extensively, at our track, and in high speed events such as the Texas Mile. On the dyno we were tweaking the Madness box and found that settings over 6, while adding a few more HP and Tq showed an alarming lean condition in the AFR, going to below 10 at very high revs. This is not good. I'd use it at 6 and I think you'll be happy. The box actually goes a bit richer at high rpm (above 6,000) which apparently is an ECU event to protect the engine. For what it's worth! Ciao

In a conversation with Darron (TMC founder/owner) he stated that they do not test above level 6 but knowing people want more they do offer the higher settings.

Klasse Act
02-12-2015, 12:32 PM
I think I'm staying at setting #7, thank you very much guys!

Tweak
02-12-2015, 05:27 PM
I think I'm staying at setting #7, thank you very much guys!

Pretty much the "sweet spot" and if you toyed with 8 or 9 for a few days you'd likely feel the same. :)

Klasse Act
02-26-2015, 10:31 AM
Going to the dealership this Saturday to have the 500 Madness lightened pulley as well as the MPx ported TB installed. I'm really looking forward to this not just because of the enhancement in performance but its been a long work week and the weather has been cold and snowy.

Klasse Act
03-06-2015, 12:52 AM
I'm taking my car to the dealership tomorrow to have the 500 Madness pulley installed, as well as the MPx ported TB. Its also due for an oil change and the side skirt on the d/s is being "repaired". My buddy is the service advisor and is putting me into a rental as they'll need the car for the day, mostly so the "repair" has time to secure itself.

chrisnov500
03-06-2015, 04:30 AM
I have TMC 3-wire unit and been running on #9 ever since I got them (15,000+ miles and counting). 2-wire (pre-TMC, madness, RRM 1st tune box) are recommended at #7.
2-wire box running on #9 will give you some sort of hick up when acceleration. (dont know why)

Klasse Act
03-08-2015, 10:21 AM
So I picked up car yesterday from the dealership and I couldn't be happier with the results. The throttle response is VERY noticeable, especially at speed, you really feel it there for sure! Once I get the ATM FMIC and get it installed I will be going to the dyno. That said, I wish I had went to the dyno before I did anything but it seems the number of 155/165 whp seems to be a baseline for bone stock cars.

Now Chris, I have the 500 Madness box and IIRC its a 3 wire unit, so are you saying I can run a higher number without an issue? We have 93 octane everywhere here.Thanks for the input inadvance.

In closing I recommend these 2 mods after you've done ICE to your car (Intake/Computer/Exhaust)

doverosx
03-08-2015, 11:58 AM

AFRs below 10 are definitely rich.

doverosx
03-08-2015, 12:01 PM
So I picked up car yesterday from the dealership and I couldn't be happier with the results. The throttle response is VERY noticeable, especially at speed, you really feel it there for sure! Once I get the ATM FMIC and get it installed I will be going to the dyno. That said, I wish I had went to the dyno before I did anything but it seems the number of 155/165 whp seems to be a baseline for bone stock cars.

Now Chris, I have the 500 Madness box and IIRC its a 3 wire unit, so are you saying I can run a higher number without an issue? We have 93 octane everywhere here.Thanks for the input inadvance.

In closing I recommend these 2 mods after you've done ICE to your car (Intake/Computer/Exhaust)

Are you able to stretch enough dollars for a GFB DV? I've been hooning more than normal because it just makes the car that much more awesome.

Purgatory
03-08-2015, 09:50 PM
Agree with you strongly, dover. The GFB Diverter is money well spent. Does such a great job on my car, holding the boost just a bit longer, not losing as much between shifts, and building up faster. When you look at the stock piston and spring, and compare to the GFB parts, its such an obvious improvement. Especially the piston itself. Very happy with my purchase of this engine related mod. Highly advise for anyone with an Abarth

Klasse Act
03-10-2015, 09:07 AM
Thanks Dove and Purg, I've read about it and seems like a great product and is a "little" mod I can swing easier once the detailing season starts.

I have less than 100 miles on the car with these mods and while on the way home from work last night I had a newer WRX hatch next to me, so I dropped it down into 4th and threw out the bait. I wasn't going to fast and I noticed my CEL started flashing, lasted about 10 seconds and then went away. Once I got closer to home I found a straight away and stood on the gas and shifted, car pulled strong and still, no CEL.

Here's the question, is the car adjusting to the mods or is it the change in weather, its gotten warmer in ahort period of time, thanks guys.

Klasse Act
03-11-2015, 09:02 AM
What does this mean?
OBD Code P0300refers to
Basically this means that the the car's computer has detected that not all of the engine's cylinders are firing properly. A P0300 diagnostic code indicates a random or multiple misfire. If the last digit is a number other than zero, it corresponds to the cylinder number that is misfiring. A P0302 code, for example, would tell you cylinder number two is misfiring. Unfortunately, a P0300 doesn't tell you specifically which cylinder(s) is/are mis-firing, nor why.
Symptoms
Possible sumptoms of OBD code P0300
the engine may be harder to start the engine may stumble / stumble, and/or hesitate other symptoms may also be present
Causes
Possible causes of OBD code P0300
A code P0300 may mean that one or more of the following has happened: Faulty spark plugs or wires Faulty coil (pack) Faulty oxygen sensor(s) Faulty fuel injector(s) Burned exhaust valve Faulty catalytic converter(s) Stuck/blocked EGR valve / passages Faulty camshaft position sensor Defective computer
Possible Solutions
If there are no symptoms, the simplest thing to do is to reset the code and see if it comes back. If there are symptoms such as the engine is stumbling or hesitating, check all wiring and connectors that lead to the cylinders (i.e. spark plugs). Depending on how long the ignition components have been in the car, it may be a good idea to replace them as part of your regular maintenance schedule. I would suggest spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap, and rotor (if applicable). Otherwise, check the coils (a.k.a. coil packs). In some cases, the catalytic converter has gone bad. If you smell rotten eggs in the exhaust, your cat converter needs to be replaced. I've also heard in other cases the problems were faulty fuel injectors. Random misfires that jump around from one cylinder to another (read: P030x codes) also will set a P0300 code. The underlying cause is often a lean fuel condition, which may be due to a vacuum leak in the intake manifold or unmetered air getting past the airflow sensor, or an EGR valve that is stuck open.
Related Codes
P0301 P0302 P0303 P0304 P0305 P0306 P0307 P0308 P0309

Klasse Act
03-11-2015, 09:04 AM
I wonder if the crank position sensor was bumped while changing out the crank pulley? Not sure if its near there, anyone know?

doverosx
03-11-2015, 09:30 AM
I wonder if the crank position sensor was bumped while changing out the crank pulley? Not sure if its near there, anyone know?

If the ECU cleared the code I wouldn't worry too much. How old are the plugs and did you check the gap on them before installing them. Rule of thumb is to go with 0.026" with stock tune.

Klasse Act
03-11-2015, 09:51 AM
My car has its original plugs in there (17.3k on the clock) so the plugs haven't been touched.

I had less than 100 miles on the new mods (MPx ported TB and 500 Madness lightened crank pulley) when the flashing CEL reared its head. Right before that happened I had dropped the car down into 4th going about 60 mph and "goosed" the gas a couple times and it then flashed for about 10-15 seconds and then went away on its own. The next day I was about 10 mins into my ride to work, driving normal, and it came on solid, not flashing and stayed on. Had it scanned and the P0300B came up, we cleared it out and now I'm going to keep an eye on it and see what happens.

It "seems" that the mods have something to do with this, I even called Modern Performance and he said that a small percentage had this happen so what I wanna know is that, what's the deal?

Fiat500USA
03-11-2015, 10:00 AM
Crank position sensor is mounted on flywheel side of engine. The sensor is accessed from behind the catalytic converter and is located where the transmission and cylinder block come together.

NGEN
03-11-2015, 10:48 AM
Might be the pulley. There was a small percentage of MPX pulleys that were "slightly" off but enough to cause a light. I don't know if madness has any issues with theirs but it could be a possibility. Since the pulley is pretty easy to remove, I would put your stock pulley back on and then run it. If the light doesn't come back on, then there is your problem. I'm sure Madness will take care of you if that is the case and send you a replacement. Keep us updated on what happens.

Klasse Act
03-11-2015, 10:54 PM
Might be the pulley. There was a small percentage of MPX pulleys that were "slightly" off but enough to cause a light. I don't know if madness has any issues with theirs but it could be a possibility. Since the pulley is pretty easy to remove, I would put your stock pulley back on and then run it. If the light doesn't come back on, then there is your problem. I'm sure Madness will take care of you if that is the case and send you a replacement. Keep us updated on what happens.

I have the 500 Madness lightened pulley and the ported MPx TB, which I had my wife buy from you Bryan via Ebay. I called Modern Perf and a guy there said they had a small percentage of the TB's throw a code and my buddy Ryan, who's on this forum, have an issue with his but not the same code I had. That said, its been about 40 miles since the clearing and no issues but I have not "hammered" on the car yet either. I did top off the gas tank tonight because last week I got gas from somewhere I've never gotten gas from before. I know this a "shot in the dark" but what the hell, it doesn't hurt to try anything when it comes to a misfire.

I would like to say again, the flashing CEL came on when I dropped the car down into 4th and hit the gas a couple times and the car had almost 100 miles on it since the mods were installed 3 days previous. I will let you guys know what happens and I really do appreciate all the support about this so far. I will also say the "butt dyno" can feel the gains these 2 mods have given me and don't want anyone to feel discouraged with looking into these 2 mods.

Kurumi
03-11-2015, 11:06 PM

This. I had one of those bad batches of pulleys and Bryan got a swapped through MPX with very quick turnaround. Got the new one in and so far, no issues. This was 12k miles ago. The bad pulley was noticeable at engine loads higher than 4k RPM for me.

Klasse Act
03-12-2015, 11:29 AM
Kurumi, did you get a code when you had the bad one? If so, what was it for?

Kurumi
03-12-2015, 11:32 AM
Kurumi, did you get a code when you had the bad one? If so, what was it for?

I did and it was a misfire code. The exact code I can't remember.

Klasse Act
03-12-2015, 11:37 AM
What could be wrong with theTB, its a brand new part and then ported by Modern Performance and a couple screws changed out?

Klasse Act
03-12-2015, 09:57 PM
Hammered on the car today on my way to work and had no issues, even dropped it into 4th from a 60 roll and stood on it too. I'm going to keep an eye on it and see how it goes.

While I'm thinking of it, I have one of the ATM FMIC coming and this makes me wonder, should I disconnect the battery while that install is being done so everything learns this HUGE improvement in performance?

Klasse Act
03-15-2015, 12:40 AM
Got some actual datalog from my buddy's cell phone app/OBDII plug-in today, numbers are as follows:

-max boost was 16 psi

-AFR's were in the 12's but did drop down to 11.37 for a quick second

-throttle opening was 88%

You can see my mods in my sig but the 500 Madness tuning box is set to #7 FWIW. The car has almost 200 miles since we cleared the P0300B code and it runs great. The only thing I can figure is either the car was adjusting to the ported MPx TB and lightened 500 Madness crank pulley or I got some bad gas or a combo of both. I did buy gas at a station I don't usually go to, a Shell station and ofcoarse filled up with 93 as normal. I'm just guessing here and everyone gets gas at a station from time to time that they don't usually frequent but hey, its just a guess but the good news is that the car is running great, it never missed a beat for that matter and no CEL.

Now I've been told that the way the boost is working is normal, goes to 16 psi, then down to say 12 psi and then back up a little as I get on down the road but here's what I'd know, I know the engine is built pretty stout in this car, I'm no drag racer and don't beat on the car but would like to know how to make a bit more boost and have it stay a little bit higher? Am I looking for trouble? I have the ATM FMIC on the way at some point, so keeping it cool isn't going to be an issue. Can I turn the tuning box up to setting #8 once I get the ATM FMIC installed when you factor in all of my other mods, access to 93 all the time and the fact that I don't beat on the car but want the best possible perf when the "time is right".

I'd appreciate the advice from those who've been there or are there right now and can speak to this accurately,thanks in advance:single_eye:

Thoughts???

Klasse Act
03-26-2015, 10:28 AM
After going for a ride in a fellow Chicagoland forum members Abarth with the GFB DV I bought one the next day and it arrived yesterday. I ordered it through Ebay directly from them, thanks guys! I also ordered a Nue-F short throw kit as the car I drove had that as well. I would've never thought I'd like it as much I did, but I did and ordered one of those through Ebay yesterday. Can't wait to get these parts installed to enjoy even better performance from my Abarth!!!

SoCalSean
04-30-2015, 12:17 PM
Are you still waiting on the ATM FIMC like me. I'm running my 500 Madness box at #6 and will probably go to #7 once I get the FIMC installed. We have 91 Octane however we can get 101 that I can mix 50/50. We have a lot of the same Mods, how is your car running on #7? If I keep the Madness Box and GoPedal?? Took a ride in a car with an OBDII tune last night and it was really smooth through every gear. His car is stock with just a high flow Intake and the tune. I don't think it is faster than my car but it was dam smooth with lots of Torque. I will wait to see the Dyno numbers they get in a few weeks then make a decision on selling my V2 and Go Pedal

SoCalSean
04-30-2015, 12:20 PM
I think I'm sticking with 6 until I get my FIMC installed next month (I hope) ATM had a lot of issues with the Winter GB due to the weather problems back east this year.

Trunkout
04-30-2015, 12:27 PM
Front Inter Mount Cooler? yelrotflmao-vi

SoCalSean
04-30-2015, 12:37 PM
Sooo Sorry....arrange the letters how ever you want... probably due to the Amount of time we have been waiting for the.... FMIC..

PS When your buddy is the local Fiat Master Tech you don't need to worry about the Warranty. Your missing out on what the car was really designed to do. HAUL ASS!!

Klasse Act
05-01-2015, 08:51 AM
Sean, I've been running my tuning box @ setting #7 since I had my buddy install it last year, have never touched it afterwards and it runs great, no issues ever. I do have access to 93 octane here as well.

I was thinking about turning the box up to setting #7 per messages with 500 Madness once I got the FMIC installed but others have chimed in a said driveability could become an issue and with this being my DD, well, its not worth it. I just wonder what the issues are when going to setting #8 exactly because my buddy had his 500 Madness tuning box set to #6 and then went to #7 and noticed a difference, so this is why I wanted to go to setting #8.

Thoughts?