PDA

View Full Version : new owner!

saypat
02-03-2015, 12:49 AM
They made me an offer I could not refuse today! Traded in my 1993 Ford Ranger ":o) Got a 2015 Abarth, base, with alarm, gray color, 16 " wheels. Are these wheels/tires sufficient? The parts guy said the 17" are much, much, better, and you would feel the difference driving. Oh well, I'm not a racer. At 63, I'm overwhelmed in the cockpit. Lots of stuff to get accustomed to. Looking forward to getting an education here in the Forum. I think I will be picking up a full size spare somewhere to toss in the back, but not at dealer prices! Really happy with this purchase.

JordanW2157
02-03-2015, 01:40 AM
Welcome! :) Good to see new members. One of us! I'm pretty new still. I'm a young guy so I'm sure I'll learn a thing or two! I've got a 2012 Abarth with the 17 inch wheels. They look great, but the ride does get a bit rough!

AreWhyAyEn
02-03-2015, 02:03 AM
They made me an offer I could not refuse today! Traded in my 1993 Ford Ranger ":o) Got a 2015 Abarth, base, with alarm, gray color, 16 " wheels. Are these wheels/tires sufficient? The parts guy said the 17" are much, much, better, and you would feel the difference driving. Oh well, I'm not a racer. At 63, I'm overwhelmed in the cockpit. Lots of stuff to get accustomed to. Looking forward to getting an education here in the Forum. I think I will be picking up a full size spare somewhere to toss in the back, but not at dealer prices! Really happy with this purchase.

Welcome aboard! Quite a change from a 93 ranger!!! Did you go auto or standard trans? Only downfall of a spare, is there isnt much room for it and if you drive it like you're supposed to, youll have to strap it down pretty well!!

as far as the features bells and whistles, This link was given to me in my welcome thread so Ill pass it on to you, it has some cool tips and tricks about the car

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByBfEvk_xDXUNU9OZGZzTkhwWFdVWU82TXY0emRRbEttZVFn/view

saypat
02-03-2015, 02:59 AM
Welcome aboard! Quite a change from a 93 ranger!!! Did you go auto or standard trans? Only downfall of a spare, is there isnt much room for it and if you drive it like you're supposed to, youll have to strap it down pretty well!!

as far as the features bells and whistles, This link was given to me in my welcome thread so Ill pass it on to you, it has some cool tips and tricks about the car

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByBfEvk_xDXUNU9OZGZzTkhwWFdVWU82TXY0emRRbEttZVFn/view

Hey Ryan! Thanks much for that link! I'll have to print it out, then pick and choose. Opps, I forgot to put that I got the automatic transmission.

I'll probably start another thread but until then if anyone stop by here could you please tell me what grade gasoline to use? User guide said either but recommended Premium. Also, is the break in period crucial on these rockets. If so, how are you breaking them in? I have so much to learn. This Forum helps so much. THANKS!

bryanintowson
02-03-2015, 09:32 AM
Congrats!! Now you have to name your new car and team up with FIAT Club America!

There are break in instructions in the owner's manual or at least there were for my 2012.

I stick with the best grade fuel I can buy. 91 octane is recommended but in my area my choices are only 87, 89 or 93 so I give my Dante 93 octane. My mom had a 500 for about 2 years and she ran her Bella on 87 - I think 93 gives you a bit more pep but it will run OK on the lower grade stuff.

It's also really important that you are change your own oil to use the good stuff there, too. The MultiAir systems rely on engine oil to do a lot of work.

Ucello
02-03-2015, 12:09 PM
Congrats! It seems like not too long ago that you were on the fence - and now here you are!

I, too, was overwhelmed in the cockpit for the first couple weeks. But I liked it. I needed something "different" as my previous car felt like a rental.

jjc1957
02-03-2015, 01:16 PM
Congrats and good luck. I purchased a 2015 Abarth back in November 2014 and have 4,000 miles on it without one problem. Should I said that. I purchased a matching wheel and tire from a member and mounted it along with a jack and other tools in the back. He has three more left if interested PM me and I can give you his info. I also have 16" rims on but have purchased some 17" rims for the spring. I have talked to many people on the 16" - 17" wheels and have gotten back o my god what a difference to I couldn't tell so I will see first hand in the spring.
Good luck

saypat
02-03-2015, 01:49 PM
Appreciate all the replies very much!

SeaDawg
02-03-2015, 02:00 PM
I'll probably start another thread but until then if anyone stop by here could you please tell me what grade gasoline to use? User guide said either but recommended Premium. Also, is the break in period crucial on these rockets. If so, how are you breaking them in? I have so much to learn. This Forum helps so much. THANKS!

On the turbocharged high output engine in the Abarth, I highly recommend ONLY Premium or being of a certain age myself, Hi-Test.<smile> I have both a Pop and an Abarth, the Pop gets a steady diet of 87 octane Regular and the Abarth gets nothing but 91/93 octane Premium past its intake valves.

SeaDawg
02-03-2015, 02:11 PM
Got a 2015 Abarth, base, with alarm, gray color, 16 " wheels. Are these wheels/tires sufficient? The parts guy said the 17" are much, much, better, and you would feel the difference driving.

I have 17" wheels and when I had my 2012 Sport I purchased 17" wheels. If you value the comfort factor of your ride I would suggest staying with the 16's. The 17" wheels improve the aesthetics but ride noticeably rougher than the 16" wheels do because of less sidewall height. In fact I have purchased a set of 16" 'Premium' Abarth wheels locally to replace the 17" that came on the car. If you don't Auto Cross or Road Race, you'll never find the limits of either tire under normal driving conditions unless you live in an area that gets that cold powdery white stuff and then dedicated snow tires are recommended. I don't get any of that 'stuff' here in Florida.:smug:

Robert Nixon
02-03-2015, 09:34 PM
congrats and welcome to the Abarth family!
Lots of good advice here, my experience in 37,000 miles is that regular gas is fine. I have the stock 16 inch wheels, and a set of 17 inch for autocross, not a huge difference to me, but I'm not Mario Andretti either!

Purgatory
02-03-2015, 10:02 PM
Congratulations, love seeing another happy Abarth owner. Certain you will enjoy your new car.

I factory ordered a 2014 last may, and just today, turned 10,000 miles. I have and love the 17", I didn't find them any rougher then the 16".

As far as fuel, my "Drago" has only eaten 93 octane from mile one, no exception. I only use 89 octane in my wife's 2013 500 Lounge. With such a small gas tank to begin with, why get cheap over fuel cost?

And use only the best grade synthetic oil, when it comes time for oil changes, or if you have to top it up any.

Very small but sophisticated engine, so why not give it the best, then run it hard, that's what its designed for.

Happy for you.

David in SC

Tweak
02-04-2015, 01:02 AM
Congrats on the Abarth and welcome to the forum!

As stated by others you should use 91 or better... I use only 93.

The link posted with the PDF is the file I host...it is filled with info you will definitely find VERY useful!

As for the spare tire...might want to consider a rear seat delete kit, really makes the car more useful and about 50lbs lighter.

My Abarth without seats and with seat delete kit:
From the post installation pic of my X-Brace from Ron Christian AKA CPR AKA cyclone-33:
http://i57.tinypic.com/30sc5xe.jpg

saypat
02-04-2015, 02:04 AM
Congrats on the Abarth and welcome to the forum!

As stated by others you should use 91 or better... I use only 93.

The link posted with the PDF is the file I host...it is filled with info you will definitely find VERY useful!

As for the spare tire...might want to consider a rear seat delete kit, really makes the car more useful and about 50lbs lighter.

My Abarth without seats and with seat delete kit:
From the post installation pic of my X-Brace from Ron Christian AKA CPR AKA cyclone-33:
http://i57.tinypic.com/30sc5xe.jpg

I have no need for back seats so this option interests me. Makes considerably more space available? I'm looking into getting a spare wheel/tire to put back there. Cost of the seat delete kit? Really appreciate all your posts Tweak. This Forum is so valuable to someone like me with very little knowledge.

thanks!

patrick

SeaDawg
02-04-2015, 02:37 AM
I only use 89 octane in my wife's 2013 500 Lounge. With such a small gas tank to begin with, why get cheap over fuel cost?

Very small but sophisticated engine, so why not give it the best, then run it hard, that's what its designed for.

David in SC

Running 87 Octane Regular isn't necessarily getting cheap with fuel cost. When I had my 2012 Sport (2 1/2 years) I used 91/93 Octane AND 87 Octane. I discovered that while the engine developed more power with the higher Octane, it actually got BETTER mpg with the 87 Octane. So I came to the conclusion that the 87 Octane actually has LESS ethanol in it (ethanol is a cheap(er) way to raise octane) and therefore gives better mpg than the 91/93 Octane which contains more ethanol.

I haven't and don't intend to do that with the Abarth due to the turbocharger, but there are people here who use only 87 octane in the turbocharged FIAT.

jjc1957
02-04-2015, 10:32 AM
For now I just put the spare tire in the rear of the car and it fit just right. When you close the rear hatch it just hits the spare which stops it from moving around. I also added a net and a couple of straps just to hold more stuff like the jack and some tools. In the back of the spare I was able to fit some tools on the back of the rim. When I put the wheel against the seat it holds all in place. When you close the rear hatch you can't see the spare tire.

Purgatory
02-04-2015, 10:49 AM
Running 87 Octane Regular isn't necessarily getting cheap with fuel cost. When I had my 2012 Sport (2 1/2 years) I used 91/93 Octane AND 87 Octane. I discovered that while the engine developed more power with the higher Octane, it actually got BETTER mpg with the 87 Octane. So I came to the conclusion that the 87 Octane actually has LESS ethanol in it (ethanol is a cheap(er) way to raise octane) and therefore gives better mpg than the 91/93 Octane which contains more ethanol.

I haven't and don't intend to do that with the Abarth due to the turbocharger, but there are people here who use only 87 octane in the turbocharged FIAT.

I will have to agree to disagree with your fuel premise. When we purchased new, my wife's 500 Lounge, both the dealer, and the owner's manual said that while the car would run fine on 87, they recommended 89 for the car, for best performance. I took that literally, and her's has never had anything less than 89.

With a 10.5 gal. gas tank, and in her case, we only have to fill out about every 3 weeks, we are talking the difference of 2-3 dollars in fueling costs spread over 3 weeks. So cost isn't a factor.

On my Abarth, dealer said you could get by on 89, but 93 is best for engine. Again, the price per gallon spread over 10.5 gallons isn't worth losing sleep over to me.

Going back to when I still owned a Lincoln MKS, car was designed to run on 87, but factory claimed premium, car would have more power and actually get higher MPG. I switched to premium on it a few months after buying it, and sure enough, car felt much stronger with the 93, and gas mileage improved by about 2 MPG. Convincing enough to me.

Now I strongly believe people waste their money putting mid-range and premium fuel into cars not designed for it, too many articles out there about that.

We each need to do what we feel is right for our cars, no problem.

Ryephile
02-04-2015, 12:06 PM
Congrats on your Abarth Patrick! :)

Indeed, your experience is not transferable to the turbo Multiair engine. I've seen 1st hand the data from the Chrysler ECU calibrators in Auburn Hills that proves the Abarth gets much better torque and lower BSFC (better fuel economy) on 93 octane. They tuned it to survive on 87 because the marketers told them to, but the engine was designed from the onset for premium gas.

Around these parts, all gasolines have 10% ethanol, unless specifically marked otherwise. Chrysler used E10 for their ECU calibrations on the Abarth, FYI. That means G100 93 octane would make more power and have better FE than E10 93 octane.

Tweak
02-05-2015, 04:40 PM
I have no need for back seats so this option interests me. Makes considerably more space available? I'm looking into getting a spare wheel/tire to put back there. Cost of the seat delete kit? Really appreciate all your posts Tweak. This Forum is so valuable to someone like me with very little knowledge.

thanks!

patrick

Thank you for the kind words Patrick but it is truly the members and their willingness to help that makes the forum useful and enjoyable. :)

The seat delete kit I have is the prototype from Steve Shrader here in NC, he used my former Sport to create it. He is the owner of rearseatedelete dot com. I think some of our vendors here carry his kit so check with them since they might be closer and could save shipping costs. Alternatively several have made there own and we have a DIY area where a member posted his own delete kit. Definitely worth checking that out as well. http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?14643-Rear-Seat-Delete-with-Pattern-(Economical-Version)

SeaDawg
02-05-2015, 07:33 PM
I will have to agree to disagree with your fuel premise. When we purchased new, my wife's 500 Lounge, both the dealer, and the owner's manual said that while the car would run fine on 87, they recommended 89 for the car, for best performance. I took that literally, and her's has never had anything less than 89.

With a 10.5 gal. gas tank, and in her case, we only have to fill out about every 3 weeks, we are talking the difference of 2-3 dollars in fueling costs spread over 3 weeks. So cost isn't a factor.

On my Abarth, dealer said you could get by on 89, but 93 is best for engine. Again, the price per gallon spread over 10.5 gallons isn't worth losing sleep over to me.

Going back to when I still owned a Lincoln MKS, car was designed to run on 87, but factory claimed premium, car would have more power and actually get higher MPG. I switched to premium on it a few months after buying it, and sure enough, car felt much stronger with the 93, and gas mileage improved by about 2 MPG. Convincing enough to me.

Now I strongly believe people waste their money putting mid-range and premium fuel into cars not designed for it, too many articles out there about that.

We each need to do what we feel is right for our cars, no problem.

So you've never validated whether it would 'run' differently on 87 octane or not. <just pushing your buttons> 89 is just 93 octane with some of the ethanol removed. I figured if the 2012 Sport and 2013 Pop were going to get better than 87 why not go for the gusto. Also it used to be 10 cents a gallon difference between grades, then the oil companies discovered they could charge 20 cents a gallon between grades and get away with it. The only difference I could discern was, on the 2012 Sport, the engine sounded 'happier' on Premium but actually got better gas mileage on Regular.

I also don't drive enough to put gas in but about 3 weeks or so and then I still have about 1/2 tank. That's using the Pop as a DD. The Abarth gets noticeably less gas mileage with a correspondingly lower tank level when I go to fill up.

On your Lincoln, the engineers were smart enough to program engine parameters that would allow it to take advantage of the higher octane. If the programming isn't there you'd just be throwing away money without receiving any perceived benefit.

As for 91 vs. 93 octane...6 of one, half dozen of another. Most of our stations here in Orlando, Premium is 93 but there are some that show 91 and even some that show 92.

No disagreement on your last statement!angelgrin

vanslam
02-08-2015, 12:04 AM
Congrats and welcome. I got the same model same color and 16in wheels. You got a fine machine. Just remember the grey actually Granito Lucente with no stripes if the fastest of them all. LOL

Lorrilynn
01-04-2016, 08:43 AM
Need help new owner just got a flat tire hard to find 185 55 15 wanna know can I put on 185 65 15 or will it mess up the car or void my warranty

Amacento
01-04-2016, 08:53 AM
I have a 2013 ABARTH 500 on 16" wheels. There is a difference between the two sizes, but I think it favors the smaller ones unless you intend to track the car on a silky smooth surface. Ours cars have a small wheel base. Every imperfection in the road is felt twice… in quick succession.

The cockpit is well designed. You'll find everything is exactly where it ought to be be (for usability). This forum should do you just fine. It'll also be helpful to read through the associated blog. You'll get a great education on what's new at FIAT.

At the risk of coming off cheeky, check out the links in my e-signature. You'll find more enthusiast related fun at the other end of the links.

Congrats and welcome to the Cult of the Scorpion.

JudoFish
01-04-2016, 08:53 AM
Welcome fellow Abarth owner. I too am a relatively older owner of an Abarth and I love the thrill of driving it and I believe you will too! I have 17" wheels so I don't have a comparison but the 17's improve the looks of the machine but with less sidewall rubber, I'm sure the ride is a tad bit rougher than the 16's.

Abarthacus
01-12-2016, 12:22 PM
Stick with the 16" rims. The turning radius on the 17" are HORRIBLE!

CashMan
01-12-2016, 01:42 PM
Me too thanks for that link. I just got a 2013 used with no owners manual. been having to go on line every time for every question.

m3racer
01-13-2016, 05:16 PM
Get the My Fiat app for your phone. It will answer lots of questions and handy to have around.

saypat
01-14-2016, 02:00 AM
was interesting reading this thread I started 11 months ago. Had my 1st oil change yesterday. The Studio has been nice to me, thankful here. The car has not lost its fun factor, at all! Car is still bone stock! No reason to touch her. No tickets yet either. Always drive with the window down to hear the roar. Whoever got me interested in this car THANK YOU!

saypat
01-14-2016, 02:09 AM

in this link it says in order to access SPORT MODE on an automatic, you have to first hit the button, and also take your foot off the accelerator pedal? I don't think this is true, Anyone verify? I just drive the car, I don't worry about stuff.