PDA

View Full Version : NORCAL SS Custom Gauge/Pillar pod users?

cgpiper
01-29-2015, 12:25 PM
I installed the NORCAL SS Custom Gauge/Pillar pod several months ago and while I've only touched on the multitude of functions it has, it's a really neat device. The only issue I have is the lack of brightness/contrast compared to the regular Abarth gauge set. Tony at NORCAL SS has been great about offering to let me send mine back so he can check it against others in stock, but I haven't followed up because I'm wondering if I'm just too picky.

The standard gauges are easily readable in both day and night modes (automatic dimming included). They are also easy to read when I'm wearing sunglasses. On the other hand, the gauge/pillar pod is just enough dimmer that I can't read it with sunglasses on, and when I push it to its brightest level, the background lighting increases simultaneously so that it negates any possible increased contrast.

Is anyone else here using it that can comment on what their experience is with it? Again, it's a great device and it's no reflection on NORCAL SS... I'm just wondering if I'm being too sensitive about its lighting.

E-Fusion
01-30-2015, 02:57 AM
I have no issues with mine and love it. I can read it quite easily in day or night with polarized Transition prescription sunglasses.

cgpiper
01-30-2015, 06:31 PM
That's a positive. How does it compare to the regular instrument gauge lighting? Mine is an order of magnitude dimmer.

Utahwjr
01-31-2015, 12:51 AM
Just getting ready to install mine - had to paint the pod due to tan A-Pillar.

E-Fusion
01-31-2015, 03:26 AM
That's a positive. How does it compare to the regular instrument gauge lighting? Mine is an order of magnitude dimmer.
It's a bit dimmer, but it's hard to compare because they are different display types - I wouldn't say that it's hard to read by any means.

cgpiper
02-01-2015, 03:01 AM
Please comment on the readability from your perspective. Maybe my eyes are just getting too old :sad:

pip
02-02-2015, 10:53 AM
I cant wait to get one of these!!!!

E-Fusion
02-02-2015, 11:52 AM
Here's a photo of mine and you can compare the brightness with the speedometer. Please note that this photo was taken on a cloudy day and the the NorCal SS gauge is probably brighter than my speedo because I have added supplementary LEDs to my Speedo cluster.

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz269/joeyefusion/172E86AE-A915-44A2-9B2A-8478626D38EE_zpsvod8rsr7.jpg (http://s834.photobucket.com/user/joeyefusion/media/172E86AE-A915-44A2-9B2A-8478626D38EE_zpsvod8rsr7.jpg.html)

Thunderbolt
02-02-2015, 06:41 PM
Nice looking Abarth in the background! lol

cgpiper
02-08-2015, 03:10 PM
Yours looks pretty clear to me, and in retrospect I think mine actually is similar in brightness/contrast. After taking a few pictures I'm thinking my problem is the lack of contrast AROUND the gauge. The console is surrounded in all that black and my eyes detect the contrast pretty well. The gauge, on the other hand, has the windshield adjacent to it on the right side and my eyes apparently have a little more difficulty in switching form the outside brightness to the limited gauge brightness. Oh well... even if it's not that useful to me it looks pretty cool and gets lots of comments! Thanks for all the responses, fellas.1651216513