PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a loud intake. what sounds to expect?

blues
01-24-2015, 04:28 PM
I have been running a madness aluminum high flow intake pipe and a BMC filter in the stock airbox.

I also have a RRM ultimate rev 3 ECU

The combination of upgrades has resulted in outstanding performance and improved fuel economy, and a slight improvement in exhaust note and some subtle turbo noises. Absolutely no negatives to speak of, all good.

I would like to go for the next level of turbo noises and hopefully some increased HP as well.

If I go for a Loud open CAI like the RRM unit or the Euro Compulsion V2 will I get some blow off sounds, or just the annoying turbo flutter sounds? I would like get the woosh BOV sound if possible even if subtle.

Is there also annoying ongoing drone sounds from intakes like these?

Tweak
01-24-2015, 04:53 PM
I have been running a madness aluminum high flow intake pipe and a BMC filter in the stock airbox.

I also have a RRM ultimate rev 3 ECU

The combination of upgrades has resulted in outstanding performance and improved fuel economy, and a slight improvement in exhaust note and some subtle turbo noises. Absolutely no negatives to speak of, all good.

I would like to go for the next level of turbo noises and hopefully some increased HP as well.

If I go for a Loud open CAI like the RRM unit or the Euro Compulsion V2 will I get some blow off sounds, or just the annoying turbo flutter sounds? I would like get the woosh BOV sound if possible even if subtle.

Is there also annoying ongoing drone sounds from intakes like these?

I own a RRM unit and it gives sounds in all areas. Any of them that are more open will pretty much do the same. The ATM HCI sits the filter in the cowl area and due to the placement and filter area being near it introduces a LOT of sound into the car. Below is the video and the info posted when it was done...been awhile, 2 yrs!

http://youtu.be/e7ogOGXHf4k
Published on Jan 14, 2013
2013 FIAT 500 Abarth Road Race Motorsports Intake stock exhaust, cold start and revs.
(Don't worry I usually don't do this when the car is cold but I did this time for a quick video).
The intake is from Road Race Motorsports(.com), LOVE IT! I also installed a TMC Boost Unit from Eurocomplusion(.net) and again... LOVE IT! I have a blast creating my own "music" now and have managed to find a nice way to get "turbo chatter" blended with throaty exhaust gurgle and a nice POP backfire, such a beautiful blend!

NGEN
01-24-2015, 05:51 PM
I would add the GFB Diverter Valve & Forge Blow Off Plate combination. It will give you the whoosh sounds you are looking for as well as give you better performance. Plus, you aren't spending more money on parts you have already purchased. Let us know if we can help you. We offer the kit which includes the GFB DV, Forge Blow Off Plate and longer bolts for $230 shipped. Shoot me a PM, e-mail me: info@ngencustomsnadperformance.com or call me direct: 832-948-9409.

Bryan

blues
01-24-2015, 05:52 PM
Great video thanks. Is the blow off sound from the intake only? What about when driving is there additional intake sound beyond the flutter and blow off?

500MADNESS.com
01-24-2015, 06:51 PM
We are glad you are enjoying your 500 MADNESS intake pipe and BMC filter blues! Let us know if we can ever get anything else for you!

Tweak
01-24-2015, 07:06 PM
Great video thanks. Is the blow off sound from the intake only? What about when driving is there additional intake sound beyond the flutter and blow off?

Yes, nothing done but intake that created the sounds you hear in the video. I agree with Bryan (NGEN) the GFB DV+ is an excellent upgrade but I have read it does slightly lessen the noise (at least for some). Still VERY much worth the change and something I want to do myself down the road.

There is only mild growling I guess you'd call it but the stock exhaust covers it up for the most part...mainly you hear the blow off sound and the flutter at times. Check some of my other videos and you can hear the sounds, some are better than others so I can't really say which would be best for the sounds you are after but if I had to choose I'd say the around town would give the best sounds.

This is that video...(this was with my knockoff GoPro before my parents gifted me an actual GoPro so it might not be the best but it isn't bad). Plenty of blow off and flutters although none are really too loud since I was taking it easy and only testing the recording of the camera during the drive.

http://youtu.be/wt2rK9FzYBs

NGEN
01-24-2015, 07:35 PM
Yes, nothing done but intake that created the sounds you hear in the video. I agree with Bryan (NGEN) the GFB DV+ is an excellent upgrade but I have read it does slightly lessen the noise (at least for some). Still VERY much worth the change and something I want to do myself down the road.

That is why I recommended it to be combined with the Forge BOV Plate. Get the best of both worlds.

blues
01-25-2015, 08:03 AM
I would add the GFB Diverter Valve & Forge Blow Off Plate combination. It will give you the whoosh sounds you are looking for as well as give you better performance. Plus, you aren't spending more money on parts you have already purchased. Let us know if we can help you. We offer the kit which includes the GFB DV, Forge Blow Off Plate and longer bolts for $230 shipped. Shoot me a PM, e-mail me: info@ngencustomsnadperformance.com or call me direct: 832-948-9409.

Bryan

I thought the Forge BOV provides some improvements in the area of holding boost longer in between shifts, where the Forge plate is all show and no go?

NGEN
01-25-2015, 10:27 AM
The gfb dv provides the additional performance while the forge blow off plate provides the added sound. You can put both of these together to get both of what you are looking for. They simply require longer bolts which we carry. We offer the complete kit for $230. Contact us directly if you are interested.

FTY
01-25-2015, 11:39 AM
With any open filter element in the engine bay (close to the firewall) you will get turbo noises into the cabin and outside of the car (RRM/V2/Injen). The forge valve isn't needed for the noise, it would be a redundant waste of money.

But if you run a closed intake system(sealed) you would want the forge unit if its the sound your after.

The GFB valve reduces flutter but preserves most of the BOV noise. This essentially re-valves the internal Diverter valve to release at a slower/more controlled rate over the factory system so small variances in boost pressures aren't realized and boost doesn't drop as significantly between shifts especially quick shifts under heavy engine loads.

You shouldn't see any intake drone from the open element systems.

boxerbay
01-25-2015, 01:00 PM
Hci + forge bov plate = music.

Tweak
01-26-2015, 12:42 AM
That is why I recommended it to be combined with the Forge BOV Plate. Get the best of both worlds.

;) Sounds (<---see what I did there) good.

Nightshift
02-14-2015, 07:46 PM
The gfb dv provides the additional performance while the forge blow off plate provides the added sound. You can put both of these together to get both of what you are looking for. They simply require longer bolts which we carry. We offer the complete kit for $230. Contact us directly if you are interested.

Bryan installed both along with the MPX intake pipe/K&N when he installed the springs.
Under 'brisk' acceleration you don't have the loud intake noise and you get the whoosh when shifting which is sweet on the ears.
Those combined with the Uni-Chip and the Sprint Booster = one sweet little ride...

WW-

Sals
02-21-2015, 07:27 PM
Everyone makes great points, Tweak has the Road Race Motor sports Intake.. Ive heard it on his car it sounds amazing, If your looking to listen to that turbo spool I'd go with the RT3 Intake from E.C .. If your not happy with that Intake Roadrace and C.P.R have some very nice set up's out there
Sal

Klasse Act
02-21-2015, 08:43 PM
I have had the Euro Compulsion V2 as well as their ram-air tube since 2 monthes after getting my car last year and haven't looked back, I couldn't be happier with the perf and sound the car makes, its loud and was very happy with the quality of the parts involved, you can't go wrong with this intake IMO!

Tweak
02-21-2015, 09:38 PM
Everyone makes great points, Tweak has the Road Race Motor sports Intake.. Ive heard it on his car it sounds amazing, If your looking to listen to that turbo spool I'd go with the RT3 Intake from E.C .. If your not happy with that Intake Roadrace and C.P.R have some very nice set up's out there
Sal

Thanks Sal! I got it back when there were a lot less options and it was one of the best in terms of looks and it also sounded and worked well. I do have an idea on how to improve it but I don't have the proper tools to make it happen sadly. :(

Your suggestion on the RT3 is dead on as well, back then I don't believe that was one of the available options and I was still early on with my Abarth and the vendors as well.

ivmill
02-21-2015, 10:37 PM
Personally I have the Eurocompulsion V2 and it definitely woke up the noise factor. If you want to get an idea first hand of what an open filter will sound like put back on part of the factory intake. All you need is the 90 off the turbo and that goofy little rectangular pipe that runs up to the factory airbox. That's what I first did to see what I was getting into. And I loved everything about it, haha. It's a bit of work seeing as you already have an aftermarket setup on the car but it might be worth the aggravation. I also run the Forge Atmospheric BOV and that seriously increased the noise. I find it addicting, but that's just me. You could always go that route and not have to invest in a new intake seeing as it cost about that same.