PDA

View Full Version : New 500L!

kent747
01-04-2015, 05:25 PM
Just made the move to a 500L from a Smart. I apparently can't help but buy cars that most Americans don't want! 1 week in and no issues, and based on this forum, I'm hoping it stays this way. I went with the 500L Trekking in white. Just fantastic, and most friends/family have been shocked at A) how much room there is B) how nice and fun it is.

DDT
01-04-2015, 07:04 PM
Congrats on the new 500L. Is it manual or DDCT automatic?

kent747
01-04-2015, 07:12 PM
Manual. And based on the forums, I'm glad!

DDT
01-04-2015, 07:23 PM
For sure!!!!

I am trying to exchange my DDCT Easy for a 6-Speed manual 500L. When was your 500L built? It is on the plaque attached to the pillar between the driver's door and the rear door? Mine was built in 7/2013. I bought it in April/2014. Though yours is a manual, I guess that this isn't as important. But, from what I read at FIAT sites, the problem with the DDCT was on units built between 3/2013 and 2/2014. Though there was a guy on the other forum posting that his 500L was built in 4/2014 and it had DDCT problems. So.... the the manual was indeed a safe bet!

Did you get a good deal? Does it have many options?

kent747
01-04-2015, 07:35 PM
September of 2013, but I just purchased it. Yes, got a great deal - shopped two dealers and got the Trekking model at one for a better price than the Easy at the other. Navigation, leather, backup camera.

Only thing is that I'd love XM and apparently that's a no go. Overall (one week in) I'm really pleased.

DDT
01-04-2015, 07:42 PM
After driving a Trekking, as a loaner, while my Easy was in the shop, I prefer the Trekking. I got the Easy because they didn't have a Trekking with Beats audio when I bought the car. I also got the DDCT, which I had reservations about, since my wife doesn't know how to drive manual. What a mistake! I should have gone with a manual. She will be learning how to drive manual, for sure, if I can get this Easy exchanged for a Trekking with manual.

kent747
01-04-2015, 07:59 PM
After driving a Trekking, as a loaner, while my Easy was in the shop, I prefer the Trekking. I got the Easy because they didn't have a Trekking with Beats audio when I bought the car. I also got the DDCT, which I had reservations about, since my wife doesn't know how to drive manual. What a mistake! I should have gone with a manual. She will be learning how to drive manual, for sure, if I can get this Easy exchanged for a Trekking with manual.

I'm loving the manual. It's been a while since I've owned one, but it's like riding a bike. I will say, the clutch is short, so it's easiest to over rev or stall in first.

Fiat500USA
01-04-2015, 08:24 PM
Congratulations on your new car and welcome to the forum. I also buy cars that aren't "mainstream" (at least in this country) and like that way. This way you never get bored seeing your car coming and going! Have fun!

Tweak
01-04-2015, 08:27 PM
Congrats on the new L and welcome to the forum.

FiatCACares
01-05-2015, 12:11 PM
Just made the move to a 500L from a Smart. I apparently can't help but buy cars that most Americans don't want! 1 week in and no issues, and based on this forum, I'm hoping it stays this way. I went with the 500L Trekking in white. Just fantastic, and most friends/family have been shocked at A) how much room there is B) how nice and fun it is.

kent747,

Congratulations on your new 500L!!!

MADNESSJoseph
01-05-2015, 06:37 PM
Congrats on the new car!!!!! I'm pretty familiar with both those models laugh2

Happy driving my friend!

kent747
01-06-2015, 09:51 PM
Anyone se find 1st gear exceedingly short on the clutch? You have to get off the clutch fast or else you stall. It's the most finicky manual I've ever driven.

DDT
01-06-2015, 11:06 PM
Anyone se find 1st gear exceedingly short on the clutch? You have to get off the clutch fast or else you stall. It's the most finicky manual I've ever driven.

Interesting that you should bring that up. I've been considering trading in my 500L DDCT automatic for a manual. But,,,, I am starting to rethink it.

There is this thread on this forum-> Grinding noise and clutch burn smell when reversing uphill where someone posted:
I have not noticed that but mine just started doing it again in reverse after the clutch replacement 5000 miles or so ago. Something is not right with the clutch assembly.
For those without hills it can be easily repeated by backing up to a curb until the rear wheels touch, stopping and then trying to reverse over the curb (not a big one, just one of them 45 degree ones they commonly use in front of driveways).
Not happy with this one.

Why don't you try that experiment to see if your gearbox makes a grinding noise.

kent747
01-06-2015, 11:33 PM
Interesting that you should bring that up. I've been considering trading in my 500L DDCT automatic for a manual. But,,,, I am starting to rethink it.

There is this thread on this forum-> Grinding noise and clutch burn smell when reversing uphill where someone posted:
I have not noticed that but mine just started doing it again in reverse after the clutch replacement 5000 miles or so ago. Something is not right with the clutch assembly.
For those without hills it can be easily repeated by backing up to a curb until the rear wheels touch, stopping and then trying to reverse over the curb (not a big one, just one of them 45 degree ones they commonly use in front of driveways).
Not happy with this one.

Why don't you try that experiment to see if your gearbox makes a grinding noise.

Not sure about that, but I'll check. Overall great car and the transmission seems fine. It's just short on the clutch, very easy to stall as I mentioned. I've driven plenty of manual transmissions and never had an issue.

DDT
01-06-2015, 11:48 PM
Not sure about that, but I'll check. Overall great car and the transmission seems fine. It's just short on the clutch, very easy to stall as I mentioned. I've driven plenty of manual transmissions and never had an issue.

I test drove one and didn't have a problem with 1st gear. But, at the time I didn't know about the simple test to see if there was a problem going up a hill in reverse.

RacerJohn
01-06-2015, 11:53 PM
Trying to back over a curb sounds pretty unusual. I wouldn't be surprised if the car made some noises or the clutched starting smelling after it had to slipped like that. Sounds like the car was getting tortured and was being slipped so badly it started smoking. I think most people when they hear and smell something like that the light bulb comes on and says "I'm doing something wrong" and they stop before they damage something. I would definitely not try that in any car I owned.

Umbrianissimo
01-07-2015, 12:10 AM
Kent,

A white Trekking sounds very nice indeed. But on the clutch/ trans thing; We have a 500 sport and a Mercedes B200 Turbo with a 6-speed manual. The differences between the feel of the clutch and shifter in the two cars is huge. The 500 is soft and easy, with a long engagement range. The B has a heavy clutch, a stiff & fairly notchy shifter and a very limited engagement range; it is a matter of millimetres between stuck in a stall and tire-squealling acceleration.... well, not that bad, but the differences are dramatic. The B and the L are similarly powered, and I would not be surprised if an engine with a decent dose of torque and HP in a manual requires heavier clutch springs and whatnot.

But do you mean that first gear is 'tall' such that it needs a lot of clutch slipping to get going? A tall first gear would, to me, make stalling at take off more likely.

Last thing; I go to Italy fairly often and there are a ton of 500L's there. It is a very popular car, so from my point of view, you're in good company. Me personally, I only back over curbs if I'm going to park on the sidewalk, but that's a Roman thing....

DDT
01-07-2015, 12:13 AM
RacerJohn:

I think that the original poster was trying to describe a way to test, if you don't have a hill to reverse on, putting a load on the transmission that would simulate reversing up a hill. It doesn't sound like torture. You may want to check out the thread, on this Forum to get a better background on what they are talking about.

kent747
01-07-2015, 09:27 AM
Kent,

A white Trekking sounds very nice indeed. But on the clutch/ trans thing; We have a 500 sport and a Mercedes B200 Turbo with a 6-speed manual. The differences between the feel of the clutch and shifter in the two cars is huge. The 500 is soft and easy, with a long engagement range. The B has a heavy clutch, a stiff & fairly notchy shifter and a very limited engagement range; it is a matter of millimetres between stuck in a stall and tire-squealling acceleration.... well, not that bad, but the differences are dramatic. The B and the L are similarly powered, and I would not be surprised if an engine with a decent dose of torque and HP in a manual requires heavier clutch springs and whatnot.

But do you mean that first gear is 'tall' such that it needs a lot of clutch slipping to get going? A tall first gear would, to me, make stalling at take off more likely.

Last thing; I go to Italy fairly often and there are a ton of 500L's there. It is a very popular car, so from my point of view, you're in good company. Me personally, I only back over curbs if I'm going to park on the sidewalk, but that's a Roman thing....

Essentially, I have 3-4 inches before the clutch disengages and I'd better have the gas going. It's really changes how I approach the vehicle.

Rally500
01-09-2015, 09:02 PM
Trying to back over a curb sounds pretty unusual. I wouldn't be surprised if the car made some noises or the clutched starting smelling after it had to slipped like that. Sounds like the car was getting tortured and was being slipped so badly it started smoking. I think most people when they hear and smell something like that the light bulb comes on and says "I'm doing something wrong" and they stop before they damage something. I would definitely not try that in any car I owned.
Hi RacerJohn where I live the recent houses have there garage higher than the street so when I park my car backword so when I leave my parking I see over the snow bank going forward I have a 2004 jetta tdi with 250 000 kms and when I back up in my driveway on incline never did that even with my folding trailer pined on it,that condition is not normal.I m a trained mechanic even if the car goes ok it s not normal that loud noise.

DDT
01-10-2015, 12:41 PM
Manual. And based on the forums, I'm glad!
kent747,

I was able to get a deal from Hendrick Alfa Romeo FIAT of Cary, NC so now I too have a Trekking 6-speed. I'm very pleased with the car and the dealership experience.

I like how smooth shifting is on the manual. If these cars only came in manual I bet that 95% of complaints would go away. What a difference the manual vs. the DDCT.