PDA

View Full Version : Do you Rev-Match when downshifting on Manual 6-Speed on 500L?

DDT
01-04-2015, 09:59 AM
To 7FiatsLater,Rally500 or any other member with a 6-Speed manual 500L:

Do you do rev-matching when downshifting on your manual gearbox? I read that it saves on clutch wear when you downshift. Except for on a curve or needing to gear down to pass, is it even necessary to down shift?

The last manual cars that I've driven were a SAAB 900 Turbo, in the 90's, and a leased Renault Mégane, in France in 2013. I don't recall rev-matching on those cars. Does the ECU of the 500L adjust the RPMs for you when you downshift?

Thanks....

tknospdr
01-04-2015, 10:03 AM
Most modern transmissions will not require it. I do on my turbo sometimes just for fun. I also double-clutch on the way up every once in a while.

JimmyTestarossa
01-04-2015, 10:44 AM
I also double-clutch on the way up every once in a while.

This ^^ is unnecessary as well but does no harm. (Doing this goes back to the days of non-synchro gearboxes for those who do not know.)

The reason I rev match on downshifts in a manual is to make smooth transitions. Some say it is not necessary but when manufacturers have automated manual transmissions that rev match on downshifts it's probably a good thing for component life.

DDT
01-04-2015, 10:53 AM
The reason I rev match on downshifts in a manual is to make smooth transitions. Some say it is not necessary but when manufacturers have automated manual transmissions that rev match on downshifts it's probably a good thing for component life.

Thanks that's what I was thinking. How many miles/km on you car?

Rally500
01-04-2015, 12:47 PM
To 7FiatsLater,Rally500 or any other member with a 6-Speed manual 500L:

Do you do rev-matching when downshifting on your manual gearbox? I read that it saves on clutch wear when you downshift. Except for on a curve or needing to gear down to pass, is it even necessary to down shift?

The last manual cars that I've driven were a SAAB 900 Turbo, in the 90's, and a leased Renault Mégane, in France in 2013. I don't recall rev-matching on those cars. Does the ECU of the 500L adjust the RPMs for you when you downshift?

Thanks....
Hi DDT,hi do it instinctively with my rallye background for smoother transition and as well it s good for the drivetrain on the long run,in rallye or other race style it s to not loose control when driving at the limit for a good transition to not change the balance of the car.

Fiat500USA
01-04-2015, 01:28 PM
Hi DDT,hi do it instinctively with my rallye background for smoother transition and as well it s good for the drivetrain on the long run,in rallye or other race style it s to not loose control when driving at the limit for a good transition to not change the balance of the car.

That's what I also do. For myself, it comes from having cars with weak syncros and also trying to be smooth. Practicing being smooth is entertaining and makes commuting a little more fun for me. It has the added bonus of helping keep my passengers happy. It is also important when driving on roads in slippery conditions.

As far as the necessity to downshift, that is quite normal. You can feel that in the DDCT that you drive. It goes up and down gears as required based on many factors including engine load, rpm, vehicle speed, etc., and even learns and adapts to your driving style. With a manual transmission, the control modules are replaced with the human brain and the driver is (or should be) analyzing the same conditions and shifting accordingly. The brain has the advantage of seeing what's ahead and actually knowing what you want to do. It's one of the reasons that no matter how good, an automatic can occasionally get caught in the wrong gear or do something the driver doesn't exactly want. It's a tradeoff for the convenience.

The manual transmission 500L does not rev match. That is left up to the operator's driving skill.

DDT
01-11-2015, 08:21 PM
The manual transmission 500L does not rev match. That is left up to the operator's driving skill.

I see what you mean. I'm getting better at rev-matching. Sometime I just double clutch during rev-matching. I am trying to make the downshifts as smooth as possible, I have my wife grading me on this.

Fiat500USA
01-11-2015, 11:10 PM
I find it fun and another way to enjoy driving the car. I also get a kick out of driving for economy and trying to keep the average fuel economy reading from dropping. Makes the commute a little less boring and I don't have to worry about getting a ticket!

JimmyTestarossa
01-11-2015, 11:12 PM
I have my wife grading me on this.

You are a brave and tolerant person!

Only 4500 miles on my car but I have never had a bad transmission. Anecdotal evidence, I know, but dumb luck and vague superstitions have gotten me this far so....

sczuylevch13
01-12-2015, 06:41 PM
i rev match out of habbit but i only downshift when i'm not coming to a complete stop. if i know theres a stop ahead i just take the car out of gear and coast, or just leave it in gear until ive slowed enough to take it out of gear. i have 27k on my abarth so far. and i drove my srt4 155k with the original clutch and not a trans issue 1.

DDT
01-12-2015, 08:04 PM
JimmyTestarossa

Yeah, my wife remembers when I almost got us hit turning left after we had just arrived in Paris. I got a Renault Mégane 6-speed rental and I forgot, as I was starting the turn that I was driving a manual car, and applied the brakes, without releasing the clutch, since there was a truck coming in the opposite direction. The car stalled in the intersection. Fortunately nothing happened except my ego getting bruised a bit. But.... in my defense, I had not driven manual in over 4 years and all the rentals, that I've ever had in the US and Canada, were automatic.

I did have a friend, from work, ride with me at lunch today. I asked him to be totally honest if I was driving the clutch OK. He said yes, so that's good. I still worry about not damaging the clutch in this car. I've read some other stories about some people having clutch problems on this forum. Clearly I don't want to experience that.

sczuylevch13

That is pretty much how I drive too. I am getting better at rev-matching though.

ewflyer
01-12-2015, 08:34 PM
I've been a motorcycle rider for most of my life, if I'm shifting the gears then I'm rev-matching the downshifts. For a long time I didn't know that other people managed to drive/ride without doing this.