PDA

View Full Version : 2014 500L 6 mos old - Fiat replacing transmission

FrancoFiat
01-02-2015, 02:04 PM
I purchased my 2014 500L on 6/30/14 and commute 78 mile round trip. 6 mos later with 9803 miles, I was in a drive thru and the car started smoking profusely! Got it towed to Fiat of Ontario and after 5 days, I got a call that they are replacing my transmission. I asked them why and I was given, this is what we are doing to fix your car Nancy. Has anyone else had this problem? I love my car but hope this is the extent of the problems I will have.

Tweak
01-02-2015, 04:43 PM
Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about the problem but I too hope this is the only issue you have with your car going forward. Enjoy the forum and please do keep us updated!

Timetrapper
01-02-2015, 06:54 PM
Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about the problem but I too hope this is the only issue you have with your car going forward. Enjoy the forum and please do keep us updated!

welcome to the boards! wow, your transmission went out? you have a manual? man, i dunno what could have happened. well you get a new one, lets hope you don't have anymore problems!

DDT
01-02-2015, 07:04 PM
FrancoFIAT,

This isn't a manual 6-speed is it? I see where Timetrapper is asking you that as well.

I know that the DDCT automatics have had that problem where the clutch will overheat and smoke. I currently have a DDCT that I bought a couple of months before you bought your car. At < 5000 miles the DDCT would not change out of 2nd gear. I am currently working on trading it back for a 6-speed manual, as I don't trust the DDCT.

FrancoFiat
01-03-2015, 04:30 AM
My Fiat is an automatic (DDCT), you are correct. Never had any probems until it started smoking.

FrancoFiat
01-03-2015, 04:31 AM
My Fiat is not a manual but an automatic.

FrancoFiat
01-03-2015, 04:32 AM
Thank you for the welcome!

DDT
01-03-2015, 09:35 AM
My Fiat is an automatic (DDCT), you are correct. Never had any probems until it started smoking.

FrancoFIAT,

Since the DDCT is a robotised manual gearbox, you do need to drive it differently than a standard torque converter automatic. For example having your foot on the brake and gas at the same time is a no-no. It confuses the computer and the car will roll if on a hill.

In stop-and-go traffic or a drive thru, it would be best to put the gear selecter in neutral when you are not moving.

I know that the little tag that comes attached to the gear selecter extols all the virtues of the DDCT as being the most advanced automatic and may lead you to believe that you can drive it like any other automatic. But in reality, you can't

Personally driving the car as a pseudo-manual doesn't bother me. What I find unacceptable is when the DDCT acts up and won't shift gears or out of Park or worse yet, downshift whilst driving at highway speeds.

With regard to other problems, the ones I've personally experienced are the battery going flat if not driven for a few days. There is something going on with the electronics not totally shutting down when the car is turned off. I've been told that if you lock the car always, even when in a garage, that it will not drain the battery. However, I've read where ppl have left their car at an airport, locked of course, and come back to a dead battery a week later.

The uConnect was acting up where sometimes Sirius would work and other times not. It had nothing to do with signal from the satellite, it was where the unit wouldn't function in that mode. After restarting the car it would then work OK.

As for me, I like the 500L very much. I just don't like the DDCT nor do I trust it. That is why I am trying to exchange my 500L for one with a manual gearbox .

FrancoFiat
01-03-2015, 03:34 PM
Thanks DDT, I think the fact that i drive in pretty much bumper to bumper traffic for about 1.5 hours each way may have something to do with it. I definitely do not put my foot on the gas and the brakes at the same time and will make it a point to put in neutral when at a stop in traffic or drive-thru. I love this forum......thanks for all the info everyone. I'll keep ya posted as soon as I hear back from dear "Carl" that my Franco is ready for pick up!

Timetrapper
01-03-2015, 03:59 PM
is this the same transmission on the new 2015 Abarth ATs? (I hope not)

DDT
01-03-2015, 05:04 PM

I don't think that it is TimeTrapper. I believe that all newer FIATs, even some 2014 500s, have the Aisin automatic.

Here is what I get from Alfa Romeo FIAT of Cary, NC

Transmission: 6-Speed Aisin F21-250 HD Auto for a 2015 FIAT 500 Abarth Cabrio

Too bad they didn't put that in the 500L.

Fiat500USA
01-03-2015, 06:40 PM

The Fiat 500L uses the C635 Dual Dry Clutch transmission. The Fiat 500 Abarth uses the Aisin trans. It is a modified and beefed up version of the auto trans used in 500 and 500c models. You can read all about it here:

Fiat 500 Abarth Automatic Hits Production! (http://www.fiat500usa.com/2014/06/fiat-500-abarth-automatic-hits.html)
Fiat 500 Abarth Automatic Up Close (http://www.fiat500usa.com/2014/08/fiat-500-abarth-automatic-up-close.html)

FrancoFiat
01-11-2015, 01:12 PM
Just picked up my 500l with the new transmission. Wish me luck!

DDT
01-11-2015, 05:32 PM
Just picked up my 500l with the new transmission. Wish me luck!

Bonne chance! Good Luck!

FrancoFiat
01-25-2015, 11:31 PM
My 500L is back at the dealership. Wouldn't shift into any gear......I only drove 300 miles with the new transmission. Lets see what they tell me tomorrow.

Providence
09-19-2016, 11:40 PM
FrancoFIAT,

This isn't a manual 6-speed is it? I see where Timetrapper is asking you that as well.

I know that the DDCT automatics have had that problem where the clutch will overheat and smoke. I currently have a DDCT that I bought a couple of months before you bought your car. At < 5000 miles the DDCT would not change out of 2nd gear. I am currently working on trading it back for a 6-speed manual, as I don't trust the DDCT.

My DDCT gets stuck in 2nd great as well and will go into R but won't reverse. What ever happened with you car?

Providence
09-19-2016, 11:41 PM
My 500L is back at the dealership. Wouldn't shift into any gear......I only drove 300 miles with the new transmission. Lets see what they tell me tomorrow.

BTW, I'm on my 3rd transmission.

fiat500elle
09-20-2016, 12:25 AM
How do you know which automatic you have? Is there a relatively easy way to tell?

Providence
09-26-2016, 11:18 PM
How do you know which automatic you have? Is there a relatively easy way to tell?

Check with dealer or google your VIN# and you should be able to find info on the internet.

Fiat500USA
09-27-2016, 12:10 AM

What year is your car?