PDA

View Full Version : ceramic brake pads

Davothegr8
12-21-2014, 10:24 PM
Does anyone run ceramic pads? If so where did you get them from? I can't find any anywhere.

Gigante
12-21-2014, 10:39 PM
Does anyone run ceramic pads? If so where did you get them from? I can't find any anywhere.

EuroCompulsion has them. They are COBALT XR4 - serious braking power.

Good luck,
GIGANTE

Tweak
12-21-2014, 10:42 PM
EuroCompulsion has them. They are COBALT XR4 - serious braking power.

Good luck,
GIGANTE

Sal runs them on his Abarth and he got them from EC as stated by Gigante. :)

Davothegr8
12-21-2014, 10:44 PM
How about dust? I put ceramics on my Smart car and i went from washing every week to once ever 4-6 weeks.

Gigante
12-21-2014, 11:14 PM
These are very dusty and will squeek for the first few miles; however, they stop on a dime. They are an aggressive pad made for autoX and track days. I went through the OEM pads at 6k mles. If you want to increase your stopping power these pads are for you.

Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.

GIGANTE

http://i.imgur.com/o1IxsPs.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/AxV9Umu.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/nM4T9oc.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/9tbHuWc.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/SmIsekc.jpg

http://www.eurocompulsion.net/braking.htm

Abarth619
12-21-2014, 11:23 PM
I've had nothing but great things said to me about Carbo Tech pads. A few of the guys at the track days I go to use them and highly recommended them. I plan I upgrading to these when spring hits. http://carbotechperformance.com/pads.asp?Make=Fiat

Davothegr8
12-22-2014, 12:16 AM
I dont think these are the pads for me. Im just looking for something with little to no dust. I really like the Wilwood bbk with the bp10 pads for the front and a set of ceramics for the rear.

J.Peterman
12-22-2014, 10:00 AM
EBC Brand
DP31375C EBC Redstuff Ceramic Low Dust Brake Pads; Front;
DP31880C EBC Redstuff Ceramic Low Dust Brake Pads; Rear;

My personal experience with these pads:
They'll take as long as 1200 miles to fully, bed-in but once they're fully bedded, the dust is reduced to a sprinkle of what it was with the stock pads. During the bed in, the dust will still be very heavy for the first X-hundred miles but it slowly reduces with the more miles you use them. If you drive primarily in an environment where you use the brakes a lot, the bedding will go much faster.

DIVSAbarth500
12-22-2014, 11:10 AM
EBC Brand
DP31375C EBC Redstuff Ceramic Low Dust Brake Pads; Front;
DP31880C EBC Redstuff Ceramic Low Dust Brake Pads; Rear;

My personal experience with these pads:
They'll take as long as 1200 miles to fully, bed-in but once they're fully bedded, the dust is reduced to a sprinkle of what it was with the stock pads. During the bed in, the dust will still be very heavy for the first X-hundred miles but it slowly reduces with the more miles you use them. If you drive primarily in an environment where you use the brakes a lot, the bedding will go much faster.

^^^^What he said. You can also go with the Greenstuff pads which are less aggressive than the Reds. All really depends on how you use the car.

Gigante
12-22-2014, 03:33 PM
I dont think these are the pads for me. Im just looking for something with little to no dust. I really like the Wilwood bbk with the bp10 pads for the front and a set of ceramics for the rear.

Hello Davothegr8, These COBALTS are pretty great and the bedding process is pretty quick, all the while they will grab as soon as you stomp on the brake pedal that is what is so awesome about this set - aggressive absolutely. If you drive your car at triple digits and want to stop now - look no further. Thsea brake pads are all about performance!

Good luck to you,
GIGANTE

bggale
12-22-2014, 04:28 PM
If you want to reduce the dust from your brakes, you can't do better than EBC RedStuff. I've used them on several cars, and they are also easy on the rotors. Eurocompulsion has them. I'm even trying to figure out the pad number for the floating 305 mm brembos, so I can get RedStuff pads for them. Anyone running the big brembos that can give me a pad or caliper number? ECB also make pads for the Wilwoods, btw.

Davothegr8
02-22-2015, 10:55 AM
If you want to reduce the dust from your brakes, you can't do better than EBC RedStuff. I've used them on several cars, and they are also easy on the rotors. Eurocompulsion has them. I'm even trying to figure out the pad number for the floating 305 mm brembos, so I can get RedStuff pads for them. Anyone running the big brembos that can give me a pad or caliper number? ECB also make pads for the Wilwoods, btw.

So its been a month since installing them. They are still throwing a good bit of dust. Also if i play hard, I get the worst brake fad within 10 turns. I'll give it a little more time. If this continues, I'll just do a bbk from Wilwood.

MarkG
02-22-2015, 11:19 AM
My Abarth had about 28K miles on the original pads and rotors. I bought replacement Wagner pads from O'Reilly's. I had to order them but I got them in a day! Wagner makes both a ceramic and Semi-metallic. I went with the Semi-metallic for the OE as original. I turned the stock rotors with good result. I am very happy with the performance. PS most auto parts stores list the wrong pads for the Abarth! The part# I ordered was the
Wagner MX1618A.

J.Peterman
02-22-2015, 11:32 AM
So its been a month since installing them. They are still throwing a good bit of dust. Also if i play hard, I get the worst brake fad within 10 turns. I'll give it a little more time. If this continues, I'll just do a bbk from Wilwood.
The EBC red stuff ceramic pads can take as long as 1200 miles to bed in, depending on how much you use the brakes. Mine took around 800 miles and now I only get around 1/10th of the dust that I used to get with the front factory pads. The dust that I get now is more of a fine powder and much easier to remove from my white wheels. The heavy, black dust will just stop one day once they're bedded in. Just keep driving and putting up with the heavy dust for a little longer and you'll be very happy with the results.

bggale
02-22-2015, 08:50 PM
What he said about the Red Stuff pads. Mine took a long time to bed, and dusted like the factory pads until they did, but after that, much better, and they stop like a champion (at least in aggressive street and highway driving). Give them time - they are worth the wait.

jguerdat
02-23-2015, 08:25 AM
I turned the stock rotors with good result.

I haven't turned a rotor in years and had no reason to. It mostly just wastes material, thinning the rotor. Heavy scoring leads me to replace the rotor. This includes both street and autocross driving. For the most part, there's little reason to turn them...

bryanintowson
02-23-2015, 09:48 AM
Agree with just replacing the rotor - if you're going to save money by doing brakes yourself, just replace the rotors. They are not that expensive.

Tweak
02-23-2015, 10:28 AM
I haven't turned a rotor in years and had no reason to. It mostly just wastes material, thinning the rotor. Heavy scoring leads me to replace the rotor. This includes both street and autocross driving. For the most part, there's little reason to turn them...

I turn my rotors every time I drive the car...lol. Mine are thin and need replacement soon with a bit past 27K on them.

stealthy1ss
02-23-2015, 07:07 PM

What kind of brake fluid are you running?

Davothegr8
02-23-2015, 09:36 PM
What kind of brake fluid are you running?

Whatever came stock. Why?

Timetrapper
02-23-2015, 10:19 PM
ceramics seem like an interesting option. I wonder how much it is with labor to get them installed?

Abarth Fun
02-23-2015, 10:32 PM
I haven't yet experienced brake fade with my car. Phil Wicks had my front brakes literally smoking at Carolina Motorsports Park, but he says this cars' brakes are good, and I believe him.

So far my original pads are still fine and wearing well. When I eventually do replace the pads Phil recommended EBC yellows, so I may give those a try. But I've really got to say I have no complaints about the OEM pads so far.

J.Peterman
02-24-2015, 08:46 AM
ceramics seem like an interesting option. I wonder how much it is with labor to get them installed?
I wish that I could answer that but I changed my own. All of the users where I had read about the EBC red stuff ceramics on the various Fiat forums had also changed their own. Any brake shop can change both of the front ones in less than an hour. The rear brakes throw out such a small amount of dust that I didn't bother to change mine.

Tweak
02-24-2015, 11:16 AM
I haven't yet experienced brake fade with my car. Phil Wicks had my front brakes literally smoking at Carolina Motorsports Park, but he says this cars' brakes are good, and I believe him.

So far my original pads are still fine and wearing well. When I eventually do replace the pads Phil recommended EBC yellows, so I may give those a try. But I've really got to say I have no complaints about the OEM pads so far.

I had my own brakes smoking during an aggressive mountain drive. :D I found my pads are still decent but the rotors are thinner than ideal so you might want to keep an eye on that.

I wish that I could answer that but I changed my own. All of the users where I had read about the EBC red stuff ceramics on the various Fiat forums had also changed their own. Any brake shop can change both of the front ones in less than an hour. The rear brakes throw out such a small amount of dust that I didn't bother to change mine.

EBC reds going up front soon and no reason to bother with the rears at this point.

EliRider
02-25-2015, 08:07 AM
I've been using EBC Red and love them.
I paired them with drilled/slotted rotors from Brake Labs which so far has been great.

So far I have logged over 6,000 miles.

nielmon
03-03-2015, 04:36 AM
I have the EBC green pads for about 15k now. No squeaking and less brake dust.