PDA

View Full Version : Wilwood BBK Review

Crossfirecat
11-29-2014, 09:20 PM
Ok, so it's been a few weeks now since I installed my Wilwood BBK's. Time for a review!

If your mechanically inclined, this is a fairly simple install. If your not, I highly suggest letting a qualified shop do the job for you. Your brakes are not something you want to screw up!

The instructions included were pretty straight forward. Pictures included are in B&W and a bit grainy and tough to see. I watched the video that Wilwood has on you tube as a pre cursor to attempting my install.

I did run into an issue with the shimming of the rears that took a few emails and phone calls to Wilwood to get straightened out. Happily everything works as it should!

The brakes feel great. The pedal no longer has a mushy feeling. Much more firm and it doesn't take a lot of pressure from your foot before you can feel them begin to grab. It's not sudden but more like a nice smooth feeling. I no longer feel compelled to "engine brake" when I'm caught off guard by a stale green light that suddenly changes!
So far I've put nearly a thousand miles on these and no noise. I'm impressed that there seems to be much less brake dust and what little there is seems to clean up fairly easily.

I didn't weight anything but there felt to be a significant weight difference between the oem fronts vs the Wilwoods. I wish I had the patience to take pics step by step and the forethought to weigh everything! But with my ever changing schedule and never knowing when I'll be called into work on a moments notice.. It just wasn't going to happen.

I went with the D&S rotors cause.."bling". Honestly, the stock brakes were fine for me. My main reason for the upgrade was because the stock brakes looked tiny inside the barrels of my 18's. Once these begin to show signs of cracking at the holes, I'll most likely switch to plain faced rotors.

Until then, I'm enjoying all the compliments I've been getting and the new found stopping power! How well do they stop? Well, let's say your favorite song comes on and for whatever reason, your passenger suddenly turns into chatty Kathy! Just stab the brake pedal and watch them fly forward until the seatbelt jerks them back leaving them both breathless and speechless! Lol. A word of caution..don't hit the pedal too hard or you'll be washing your passengers breakfast off your dash!
All joking aside, they are a fantastic upgrade but requires a certain degree of skill to install. This is not something to rush through. I could have avoided my issues if I'd taken more time. A special thanks to Chris @ Eurocompulsion for getting these shipped out to me and for the great support he always gives to each and every one of us!
A few pics:

Michael T
11-29-2014, 10:16 PM
wow, those wheels look huge on the Abarth.

Abarth Five O
11-29-2014, 11:43 PM
Very nice upgrade and your stance is looking good! Too many guys up their HP and overlook the brakes.

Shawnb
11-29-2014, 11:54 PM
18s look way too big on these cars...

With the willwoods does the rear end want to swing around on heavy braking like the stock setup? My girlfriends new pop does it pretty easily, with my abarth it takes a little effort to be able to do it. Uneasy feeling...

Crossfirecat
11-30-2014, 03:37 AM
18s look way too big on these cars...

With the willwoods does the rear end want to swing around on heavy braking like the stock setup? My girlfriends new pop does it pretty easily, with my abarth it takes a little effort to be able to do it. Uneasy feeling...

Actually, the car had just one of the jacks stands and so the suspension hadn't really settled. It looks like a 4x4 in that pic lol. I'll get some better ones when the weather cooperates.
Now,as for your question, not at all. It's very well balanced but I also am running Koni's and the Neu-F rear torsion bar. Those two mods do wonders for calming down the "happy" rear end!

Pic with 18's before Wilwoods:

Crossfirecat
11-30-2014, 03:38 AM
Very nice upgrade and your stance is looking good! Too many guys up their HP and overlook the brakes.

If your gonna go fast, you gotta be able to stop faster! :onthego:

boxerbay
11-30-2014, 10:07 AM
Those look great.

E-Fusion
11-30-2014, 12:46 PM
Love those 18" wheels! What make/style are they and where did you get them from? What are the tires and what size are the tires?

Do they rub? Is your car lowered? Do you have wheel Spacers?

I've been thinking about these brakes myself as I saw them at a local parts shop.

Thanks.

boxerbay
11-30-2014, 05:50 PM
Love those 18" wheels! What make/style are they and where did you get them from? What are the tires and what size are the tires?

Do they rub? Is your car lowered? Do you have wheel Spacers?

I've been thinking about these brakes myself as I saw them at a local parts shop.

Thanks.

Ditto

F1fletch
03-18-2015, 09:10 PM
I have a Wilwood BBK coming for the front and rear and really would like to get a heads up on the rear shim issue to avoid the same problem. Can you clue us in on the fix (or pm me) so I am clear?

Thanks