PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Tuner GP by European Car magazine and Continental Tire

Giuseppe
11-26-2014, 10:01 PM
First off, I am not a journalist. I drive race cars. I suck at writing, bare with me.

Recently I was invited to the European Car magazine Tuner GP for 2014 presented by Continental Tire and Willow Springs. Streets of Willow to be specific. They shot me an email and said all I need to do was show up with my Abarth and they will take car of the rest of this two day event. Some of you know me, and some of you don't. Those that do, you know I'm no stranger to racing the Abarth. I'm pretty confident I have more competitive seat time in an Abarth than anyone else in North America.

The folks at European Car were great hosts. They sent all the competitors a set of Continental Tires. While I like their tires, this model they chose wasn't best suited for this event. But it was a set that fit everyones car. So they went with it.

I arrived early Monday morning, about 7:30. I had already been on the road for four hours at this point. But I was looking forward to several more in the comfort of my Sabelt Taurus seat.

After the first session, I knew I had some work to do. The tires would spin out of every corner. And we were seeing lap times of high 1:37 to low 1:38 on a track where we generally see 1:30. Not a big deal, I can adjust. After reading telemetry, I found traction control not shutting off completely. We had just completed the third and final warm up session at this point. So we were breaking for lunch. I had to resolve this or risk putting on a bad show (they had the car wired with seven Go-Pro cameras and no less than three microphones).

I made a few minor adjustments during the lunch hour and hoped for the best. After settling in, I was the second to last to go for the day. Let me say, there is nothing like having a track all to yourself. As the last session started, it was one warmup lap, three flyers followed by a cool down lap. After putting in my warm up lap, I started the first flyer. Again, nothing but a tire fire on corner exit. I decided the next to laps I would limit gear changes to third and fourth. Spinning through second gear was costing me time. After putting in two solid flyers, it was cool down time. Which I chose to spend not cooling down. Rather I slid the car all over the track via the ebrake. It was quite a smoke show.

After coming back to grid, I was eager to check my time. 1:35.3 Not great, not bad. Good enough for 7th....out of 8. I should probably mention the competition was all M cars, one AMG and one VW. The VW did VW stuff and broke. I was confident I had him covered anyway.

Here is a little history of the Abarth on this particular track. This will give you a little understanding of the significance of the lap time. When I first turned laps at this track on R-Comp tires, we ran a 1:34.7. We have gotten quicker with more and more practice and we are consistently in 1:30's now. However, we have performed at few mods that were present for this event that were not during previous events. I would put the car at approx a 1:28 in its current trim on R-Comp tires. This is only an approximation.

Day two began at the port of Long Beach at a famous Honda tuner by the name of Church. This day was fairly easy going. We cycled through the cars on the dyno, followed by a few driver interviews and the a short photo session. After that, we loaded back on the trailer and began our several hour tow through LA rush with a trailer and manual transmission tow rig. Yeah, it was miserable.

I'm sure you want to know how the Abarth performed on the dyno. Well, let's start with the list of mods.

RoadRace Motorsports provided the following;
Intake (new for the event)
Ultimate Tune (new for the event)
Brake Pads

Abarth Motorsports Canada provided the following;
Assetto Corse front splitter
Assetto Corse NACA duct
GFB DV+ (new for the event)

Other components;
Caliber Customs cage work
TMC Catless down pipe
OZ Racing Alleggerita HLT wheels
Sabelt Taurus seat
Sabelt 6 point harness
KW rear sway bar
Magneti Marelli -2" springs

The dyno went flawlessly. We hooked right up to the DynaPack unit at Church's. All pulls were performed in fourth gear. Boost and AFR was not monitored. The results were consistent over all five pulls. 228WTQ and 202WHP. I think we may have stood to see another 15/15 with a proper exhaust. However, we ran short on time as we were given less than a weeks notice for the event.

All in all, I'm extremely happy with the car. The power from the RoadRace Motorsports intake and software were huge. Our previous dyno pulls were 198WTQ and 164WHP. Prior to that, we ran another software that gave us just a bit less torque and just a bit more horsepower. So you can do the math yourself. It's a pretty damn amazing transformation that the car has gone through with the RoadRace Motorsports and Abarth Motorsports Canada components installed on the cars.

So this begs the question, how do we go faster? Big turbo. Stay tuned.

I have what I believe to be the cover image for this issue, but I can't upload it for some reason.

-Giuseppe

Tweak
11-26-2014, 10:33 PM
Can't upload it...can you host and link to it? Did you get some kind of error?

shagghie
11-27-2014, 03:02 AM
Fantastic report! What an experience! For your purposes I would recommend the Tork tune now and again after you go big turbo. You are leaving a ton of torque curve on the table and some horsepower too, and you are dropping off power at 5400 when you should really be going nuts from there all the way to 6900 with the Tork tune. Longer legs. Smoother power. Gobs more torque everywhere, and toe-curling response for feathering. We have now run every single tuner box, from madness to tnx to mm to RRM u3 to uni chip. All of those fall well short of what you, especially, deserve on the track.

When you go big turbo Tork has your back too. But for now... Reward yourself... And yes, get the atp 2.5" catless, or their 3" catless mod option and a 3" exhaust. You are gonna need it!

So glad they picked you for the spot!!

doverosx
11-27-2014, 10:27 AM
Fantastic report! What an experience! For your purposes I would recommend the Tork tune now and again after you go big turbo. You are leaving a ton of torque curve on the table and some horsepower too, and you are dropping off power at 5400 when you should really be going nuts from there all the way to 6900 with the Tork tune. Longer legs. Smoother power. Gobs more torque everywhere, and toe-curling response for feathering. We have now run every single tuner box, from madness to tnx to mm to RRM u3 to uni chip. All of those fall well short of what you, especially, deserve on the track.

When you go big turbo Tork has your back too. But for now... Reward yourself... And yes, get the atp 2.5" catless, or their 3" catless mod option and a 3" exhaust. You are gonna need it!

Man, I can't wait to see the footage!! Did they set you up with Continental World Cups?? Those seem to be expensive and not as good as other (same priced) R-compounds.

Giuseppe
11-28-2014, 12:46 AM
Can't upload it...can you host and link to it? Did you get some kind of error?

Something to the effect of MB. I have too many in use from previously attached photos I guess.

I'm glad they did too. I know there are other tunes on the market and I only have experience with three of them. But RRM has always been good to me. And with fear of sounding terribly cocky, I have never gone wheel to wheel with an Abarth that is faster than me.

Man, I can't wait to see the footage!! Did they set you up with Continental World Cups?? Those seem to be expensive and not as good as other (same priced) R-compounds.

We were on ExtremeContact DW tires (340UTQG). They were planning on the ContiForce but didn't have the necessary sizes to equip everyone.

Tweak
11-28-2014, 08:57 PM
Something to the effect of MB. I have too many in use from previously attached photos I guess.

Go here: http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?13130-How-to-post-pics-videos-on-the-forum

Very bottom, last paragraph speaks of exceeding and managing attachments...which is also why I originally posted this info and suggest people host and link rather than uploading. ;)

Abnormalradio13
11-29-2014, 10:29 AM
Awesome man. I think I'm right behing you when it co rd to racing the abarths. Glad I'm not alone out here. You take care of the west coast and ill dominate the east coast ��

Abarth Five O
11-29-2014, 02:43 PM
Great write up Joe! Thanks for sharing your experience. Your set up is very good, but the fast lap times is mostly attributable to the driver. Would love to see a pic of your interior w/ the Sabelt seat. Beat those Bimmers, Minis, and VAGs and have fun!
Aloha, Gary

Gharbeson
12-01-2014, 11:06 AM
Awesome man. I think I'm right behing you when it co rd to racing the abarths. Glad I'm not alone out here. You take care of the west coast and ill dominate the east coast ��
Where do you race? What series or class? SCCA, NASA? I'm really interested in how others are classed with certain mods. Thanks. gh