PDA

View Full Version : Surprise! Liked at Jalopnik!

Andree
11-21-2014, 11:19 AM
"I didn't expect to like the 2016 Fiat 500X as much as I did after seeing it in person at the LA Auto Show. Believe it or not, it's kind of a great design, and far better looking than the various attempts Mini has made at a crossover."

http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/the-2016-fiat-500x-does-what-mini-never-did-1661375493/all

Lots of comments, and folks are indeed loving it!

Here's what some of you are probably thinking too:
"this needs 270 hp, a six speed manual, AWD, and it'll be an WRX fighter. And lower it a bit and add street wheels."

And the best reply ever:
"So in other words, if they change absolutely everything about the car, it will be competitive with a car that is totally unlike it."

The other best reply ever (LOL):
"You know, if only they stretched and lowered it, added a trunk, lots of leather and luxury toys, and made it RWD with a W12 up front, it could be a real Bentley Mulsanne fighter."

piney500
11-21-2014, 04:55 PM
Yeah, the whole lowering and adding street wheels definitely defeats the whole intent. Olivier François said outright during the unveiling that the main purpose of this vehicle was to capture their share of the NA market outside of the Sunbelt where the 500 and other city cars struggle.

Tweak
11-21-2014, 05:02 PM
I am sure someone will toss some nice wheels and suspension on this and I bet it will look amazing lowered...even if it defeats the purpose for which it was designed. It happens all the time with every type vehicle so it is only a matter of time.

Andree
11-21-2014, 11:25 PM
No problem with folks changing a vehicle to suit their preferences. That's one of the main automotive hobbies. Changing, altering, adding, subtracting. There's a huge magazine section based on all the different ways to alter a vehicle.

EXPECTING any automaker to come out with one of these creations for street use is completely different. It would be so impractical AND it would give you nothing to do with your hobby and skills. You'd be bored, and that's one reason folks will often change cars, they get bored because there is nothing left to do.

No different than any addiction, where you're looking for the next high. LOL. Okay, maybe it's a lot different, but the "high" part is still there. Meanwhile, I'm still thrilled with my stock car, and haven't done a thing to it. In fact, I've never vacuumed the car in two years. It's not "dirty" yet. LOL

It does everything I want it to do. It starts, stops, steers. It doesn't suck gas, leak all over, or leave people behind me in a cloud of black smoke. It doesn't break down, it has more features than I can use in my short store trips. My needs and pleasures are simple.

If my Fiat came with even more stuff, including more horsepower, lowered, etc, it would suck more gas. I don't need that. I definitely don't need any bottom out problems. I could get by easily with LESS. Less horsepower. I'm only going to the store and doctor appointments.

So Fiat does a very good job by offering up several vehicles, mild to wild. Not quite mild enough for me (I'd also like it less expensive). Not quite wild enough for many others.

And there's always the very slim possibility that we may get the milder and the wilder versions!

With the potential of mega-volume sales of the 500x, we may well be able to have those other versions in the future. Fiat has to be making a ton of money in order to bring more stuff to us. Right?

Rivmage
12-19-2014, 06:07 PM
Fiat has to be making a ton of money in order to bring more stuff to us. Right?

Or they are throwing stuff at the US to see what we actually will buy.

Scott

Fiat500USA
12-20-2014, 12:47 AM
Seems like they are being cautious and very methodical in their plans. Doesn't seem haphazard at all.

JimmyTestarossa
12-20-2014, 10:33 AM
Seems like they are being cautious and very methodical in their plans. Doesn't seem haphazard at all.

100% in agreement! I think Fiat is doing things correctly in the US. Some cars have had issues but FCA seems eager to please and that is a very good culture to promote.