PDA

View Full Version : 500 e Sport. Possible to Tow a Generator?

oleschell
11-17-2014, 04:38 PM
I am thinking of getting a Fiat 500e sport. It is an awesome car. I of course have a bit of range anxiety.

Is it possible to use a towed generator with this car. I know if works with some electric cars but not all. The question seems to be if the car can be in motion and charge at the same time.

Anyone know the answer and if so what is a good and well priced one to get?
Thanks guys!

Shawnb
11-17-2014, 05:00 PM
Are you located in NY?

oleschell
11-17-2014, 05:16 PM
hey Shawn. Part of the time, yes. but mostly in Northern California.
What you thinking?

dbrick
11-17-2014, 06:35 PM
Another Driver of our '13 500e is sometimes absent-minded, and I wondered what would happen if AD got in the car and tried to drive it while it was still plugged in. So I tried it: while plugged in at home, I tried to "start" the engine to move the car. The engine did not energize, and the car wouldn't shift from P to D.

So my guess would be...nope.

Shawnb
11-17-2014, 07:21 PM
hey Shawn. Part of the time, yes. but mostly in Northern California.
What you thinking?

Because their not sold in NY

ChrisPDX
11-17-2014, 07:46 PM
A couple of thoughts on this:
Every production EV out there has safe guards that prevent the car from being driven while plugged in (this isn't a gas car after all :) ).
The 500e charger is 6kW. Assuming you could drive while plugged in, 6kW of power will probably only make the car go 20mph.
To get freeway speeds, you would probably need a 20kW generator (assuming you could upgrade the charger). I found one that weights 535lbs. After adding gas and a trailer, it's probably not going to be a good car to drive.

In reality, you really just need to see how much driving you actually do in a single day and make sure you get an EV that can accommodate that. If they don't have enough range, then you need to look into what charging you can do during the middle of the day while at work or if there's good level 3 DC fast charging available (and have the EV support it).

Ray1938
11-18-2014, 04:46 AM
The car goes in the charge mode anytime you take your foot off the accelerator and the car starts to slow down.

Ray

I am thinking of getting a Fiat 500e sport. It is an awesome car. I of course have a bit of range anxiety.

Is it possible to use a towed generator with this car. I know if works with some electric cars but not all. The question seems to be if the car can be in motion and charge at the same time.

Anyone know the answer and if so what is a good and well priced one to get?
Thanks guys!

Greg Elmassian
11-18-2014, 12:26 PM
Ray, regenerative braking is completely different from taking power from the charge port.

To charge the car when stopped, you need 6.6 kw minimum generator and 240v output.... pretty hard to find in a small size, but you COULD do this, drive 100 miles, then stop and charge for 3-4 hours...

Greg

DaveN007
11-18-2014, 02:00 PM
You can absolutely do this. First you need to fabricate a tow hitch. Toungue weight of 100 pounds minimum to tow a 1000 pound utility trailer.

Then you need a 10,000 watt generator. Generators are rated at "peak". It needs to be able to sustain greater than the 6.6kw that the car needs and account for loss.

Here is the one I would get if I were you. http://www.maxtool.com/honda-electric-start-10-000w-120-240v-full-gfci-protected-commercial-gx-engine-generator-with-imonitor-lcd-and-two-wheel-kit?google=1&CAWELAID=230005740000000023&CAGPSPN=pla&gclid=CM732dHahMICFQmPaQodPKYA5A

Figure you will burn between 4 and 6 gallons of gasoline to fully charge the batteries in your car and it will take around 4 hours.

All in, it will be maybe $6k to do the trailer, and generator the right way. Then figure $.17 a mile for gas and factor in the loss in range towing the trailer...let's say all of your miles are $.20-.$25 per mile. In and old fashion gas burner, you would have to get 50 MPG*

*assumes gasoline at $10.00 per gallon, except for generator gas which assume $3.00 a gallon

No more range anxiety!

If I were you I would just mount the generator in the car.

Another way you might do this is you could get an SUV and tow the 500e while it is "on" and in "D" with someone in the 500e riding the brake. This will recharge the batteries, also.

Let us know how this works out for you, and please post pics!

Challenger
06-27-2017, 05:06 PM
I hope some newbie doesn't read all this and believe it might work...bsflag:frantic4yc:iamwithstupid:lame::wtf:

Ricksuiter
06-27-2017, 11:27 PM
I hope some newbie doesn't read all this and believe it might work...bsflag:frantic4yc:iamwithstupid:lame::wtf:

Well.... not entirely:

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=34697

The Leaf has a quick charge port which is where they injected the power in to so the Fiat won't have that luxury. The man in the suit in the picture is/was one of the head engineers from Nissan Japan on the Leaf project from what I recall reading.

Definitely not an easy DIY project though.