PDA

View Full Version : ECU Tuning Question

dynotronics1
11-11-2014, 07:50 AM
First,Let me thank Abarth Five 0 for suggesting we post this query here

Second, please let me introduce our company, and tell you that we are not soliciting business( as that would be a violation of the TOS), but for interest, and opinions.

Dynotronics is one of the largest ECU calibration firms in North America, working with European( Porsche, BMW, Audi, & VW), and Asian ( Subaru, Mitsubishi,Nissan,& Mazda). We work with Motec,Haltech,Cobb,MazdaEdit, and EcuTek software, along with others, to calibrate these and other platforms. We are a Cobb Pro shop, as well as an EcuTek Master.

Now, the reason for the post;

Over the past year,we have been asked to develop a tuning solution for the Fiat 500, and Abarth, by several of our current customers that own the platform as a second car, or daily transport. Since we have the ability to do so for both the Marelli and Bosch based ECUs, we have been doing these on a customer by customer basis.

One of our good customers pointed out that there is no OBD based (on the car)reflash currently on the market, but rather several "piggy back" solutions.

So here is the question for you folks;

If a solution was offered that would allow you to have a several different dyno based calibrations, that could be loaded through the OBD port (under the dash), as well as data-logging based feedback for custom tuning( based on the data from your modified car), would there be an interest from the Fiat community?

Again, we are not here to drum up business, and in fact, we do not currently offer remote calibrations for the platform( however we do them in house), but there is a strong market for remote tuning in the platforms we currently calibrate, and Dynotronics has a very large customer base in these, and we feel this is the best way to judge the interest.

Thank you for your time to read and respond!

dart_1.4T
11-11-2014, 08:51 AM
First,Let me thank Abarth Five 0 for suggesting we post this query here

Second, please let me introduce our company, and tell you that we are not soliciting business( as that would be a violation of the TOS), but for interest, and opinions.

Dynotronics is one of the largest ECU calibration firms in North America, working with European( Porsche, BMW, Audi, & VW), and Asian ( Subaru, Mitsubishi,Nissan,& Mazda). We work with Motec,Haltech,Cobb,MazdaEdit, and EcuTek software, along with others, to calibrate these and other platforms. We are a Cobb Pro shop, as well as an EcuTek Master.

Now, the reason for the post;

Over the past year,we have been asked to develop a tuning solution for the Fiat 500, and Abarth, by several of our current customers that own the platform as a second car, or daily transport. Since we have the ability to do so for both the Marelli and Bosch based ECUs, we have been doing these on a customer by customer basis.

One of our good customers pointed out that there is no OBD based (on the car)reflash currently on the market, but rather several "piggy back" solutions.

So here is the question for you folks;

If a solution was offered that would allow you to have a several different dyno based calibrations, that could be loaded through the OBD port (under the dash), as well as data-logging based feedback for custom tuning( based on the data from your modified car), would there be an interest from the Fiat community?

Again, we are not here to drum up business, and in fact, we do not currently offer remote calibrations for the platform( however we do them in house), but there is a strong market for remote tuning in the platforms we currently calibrate, and Dynotronics has a very large customer base in these, and we feel this is the best way to judge the interest.

Thank you for your time to read and respond!

I'm looking forward to seeing the responses from this. If you have not already, you should post this on www.dodge-dart.org, as the Dart 1.4 Turbo shares the same platform.

mudking
11-11-2014, 08:58 AM
I think as most here do that are interested, this has been long overdue...
Currently this seems like it will never happen due to handhelds being the showstopper for most that have attempted.
.good luck!
Subscribed..

Alec
11-11-2014, 12:03 PM
I currently have the Magnetti Marelli piggyback and would get a handheld tuner if available.

shagghie
11-11-2014, 12:22 PM
The biggest challenge the tuners have had so far is getting DIMSPORT to live up to their promise of a hand-held box. I could name at least 3 tuners that have been let down by the eternal "They will be ready next week". The first tuner is one here in Houston, and they initiated business with DIMSPORT in early 2012. They had already invested in building the maps, dyno'ing the car, and were 10's of thousands into the platform, and then DIMSPORT never came through. To this day there are still tuners holding out for a handheld solution, and indeed it seems to be the 'holy grail' of what is missing for this platform (and the Dart 1.4L too). We have all been spoiled by other platforms' tuning architectures in the past, so the idea of sending our ECU's off to a shop seems so 1999 now.

If you have alternate means other than DIMSPORT's empty promises then I think you will find a wellspring of enthusiastic customers in this community. Case in point: I have now owned and tried every single piggyback solution, including a Uni-Chip version, and I've also sent my ECU in to a tuner to be bench tuned as well (my current tune that I am enthralled with). Just goes to show you, that we have an energetic and willing group of tuned applications here, with a ton of hardware mods to go with it, and we precisely need to be able to tune our cars via data logging on the road, and at the track at this point, in order to account for all the variances in hardware, and especially the maze that are the sensor-based limiters this engine and underlying tune are plagued with.

Sincerely hope this answers your question. The platform is growing extremely fast and racing circuits are opening up in 2015 too, so the OBD /data logging approach will be the only real way to go to squeeze everything out of the platform.

dynotronics1
11-11-2014, 12:47 PM
The biggest challenge the tuners have had so far is getting DIMSPORT to live up to their promise of a hand-held box. I could name at least 3 tuners that have been let down by the eternal "They will be ready next week". The first tuner is one here in Houston, and they initiated business with DIMSPORT in early 2012. They had already invested in building the maps, dyno'ing the car, and were 10's of thousands into the platform, and then DIMSPORT never came through. To this day there are still tuners holding out for a handheld solution, and indeed it seems to be the 'holy grail' of what is missing for this platform (and the Dart 1.4L too). We have all been spoiled by other platforms' tuning architectures in the past, so the idea of sending our ECU's off to a shop seems so 1999 now.

If you have alternate means other than DIMSPORT's empty promises then I think you will find a wellspring of enthusiastic customers in this community. Case in point: I have now owned and tried every single piggyback solution, including a Uni-Chip version, and I've also sent my ECU in to a tuner to be bench tuned as well (my current tune that I am enthralled with). Just goes to show you, that we have an energetic and willing group of tuned applications here, with a ton of hardware mods to go with it, and we precisely need to be able to tune our cars via data logging on the road, and at the track at this point, in order to account for all the variances in hardware, and especially the maze that are the sensor-based limiters this engine and underlying tune are plagued with.

Sincerely hope this answers your question. The platform is growing extremely fast and racing circuits are opening up in 2015 too, so the OBD /data logging approach will be the only real way to go to squeeze everything out of the platform.

Dimsport, has a very bad habit of doing this. They also have an issue with the data return, or data logging based tuning.

I cannot disclose too much information as to how we do what we do, but, assuming here is enough interest, the hardware will not be based on Dimsport's hardware. It is a proprietary unit that allows read/write/ data logging on several protocols. It's really a simple expansion of the units we already use for other platforms, we just need to write the code, and parse the files of the different versions of the file(s)

Likely he pricing will be in the 500-600 $ range for the hardware, and up to 5 different custom( from data) based files(93,91, 87, track,E85, as an example) included

Moving forward, since there does seem to be a serious interest, and, appears, a very informed, and intelligent customer base, we will be looking for a test unit in the Austin/San Antonio area.

Again, thank you for your time, and your ideas!

Abarth Five O
11-11-2014, 12:54 PM
Go for it Shagghie! They're in your neck of the woods.

lammie200
11-11-2014, 03:57 PM
I wouldn't even consider trading up to an Abarth if I could squeeze 10-20 more HP out of my Sport. I have an OBDII tune from TMC, so it is definitely possible to write to the ECU through the OBDII port. I would just want to make sure that tunes through the OBDII are cumulative since the TMC unit is meant for affecting auto transmission characteristics. Also, I would want it to be reloadable easily, since a service reflash could wipe everything out.

shagghie
11-11-2014, 04:33 PM
I wouldn't even consider trading up to an Abarth if I could squeeze 10-20 more HP out of my Sport. I have an OBDII tune from TMC, so it is definitely possible to write to the ECU through the OBDII port. I would just want to make sure that tunes through the OBDII are cumulative since the TMC unit is meant for affecting auto transmission characteristics. Also, I would want it to be reloadable easily, since a service reflash could wipe everything out.

That's a different beast there, and is yet apart from the challenge of decoding the protocol needed to write out all the tables, etc. You know to your point, I sold my PE to a buddy and he sunk a few grand into it of upgrades including a timing controller, intake, exhaust, and the darn little car was a HOOT to drive around Vegas for the chance I got to do it. It is no Abarth in terms of raw power, but it can definitely be transformed enough to make it feel quick and fun for the driver.

shadowshaggy
11-11-2014, 04:35 PM
I'm all for a visit to the dyno shop ;)

Shawnb
11-11-2014, 04:57 PM
I would be interested, Your website doesn't even state where you're located though?

dynotronics1
11-11-2014, 05:51 PM
we are located near San Antonio Tejas

GHAZAN
11-11-2014, 06:50 PM
we are excited its just you are the 3rd or 4th person/company to promise this so ill wait till i see it

Tweak
11-11-2014, 08:04 PM
Go for it Shagghie! They're in your neck of the woods.

Thanks for handling this Gary. ;) You know what I am referring to here.

Long_John
11-11-2014, 09:08 PM
I think what they're trying to say is "Hell yes!"

lammie200
11-11-2014, 10:02 PM
...It is no Abarth in terms of raw power, but it can definitely be transformed enough to make it feel quick and fun for the driver.

I can see that. Abarths have to start from somewhere before their boost kicks in.

Hazardous
01-10-2015, 07:27 AM
I'm new to the forums but would like to comment here. I have on order the tmc piggy back and am looking forward to the install. However my question would be: new Fiat owners are under warranty and having a piggy back allows you to remove before servicing. How would your product work with warranty vehicles. Second how much would you charge for each custom tune? $700 is pricy compared to piggy backs if the additional cost for custom tunes is expensive.

SpidArman
01-17-2015, 12:23 AM
I'm in. Tell me when it's ready and I'll buy one...