PDA

View Full Version : My 15 500 Turbo got a little louder today!!

InFuZiOn
11-04-2014, 04:37 PM
Stopped by muffler shop and was told for $30 they'd weld a straight pipe on my tip and remove my muffler afyer watching a YouTube video of how it sounds. Cant wait to hear how she sounds!!
There she is getting ready to have the muffler cut off!!

Shawnb
11-04-2014, 04:39 PM
Don't toss the muffler in case you change your mind.....

InFuZiOn
11-04-2014, 05:50 PM
Of course not!! It's safely boxed up in storage in case I decide to revert back. It came out looking amazing with the tip perfectly centered. She sounds incredible now with the turbo whine really noticeable and those backfires!! OMGGGGGG I love it!! Still leaning towards the full MPx axle-back though for the full Abarth roar :P

Shawnb
11-04-2014, 06:14 PM
Of course not!! It's safely boxed up in storage in case I decide to revert back. It came out looking amazing with the tip perfectly centered. She sounds incredible now with the turbo whine really noticeable and those backfires!! OMGGGGGG I love it!! Still leaning towards the full MPx axle-back though for the full Abarth roar :P

Intoxicating noise !

opiateESP
11-04-2014, 06:41 PM
Can't go wrong for $30! Enjoy the symphony!

cy-clone33
11-04-2014, 06:51 PM
EXACTLY what I did to my T and LOVE THE SOUND

Michael T
11-04-2014, 07:12 PM
That's a well spent thirty bucks!

Rastup
11-04-2014, 07:41 PM
Did the same with mine and posted the video to youtube while it was still on the lift. It sounds even better now that i just recently installed the rrm ultimate ecu.

boostin
11-04-2014, 10:17 PM
i did this the same week i bought the car, its a fun mod for the price!

Timetrapper
11-05-2014, 11:05 AM
Whoa, thirty bucks! I don't know where you hear the words muffler, weld, and 30 bucks in the same sentence. You always hear the phrase "labor alone is going to be (insert insane amount in here)"

dlric1
11-05-2014, 11:09 AM
considering this myself, tho i do sort of like the stealth effect with the stock muffler. has anyone felt a difference butt dyno wise?

InFuZiOn
11-05-2014, 11:33 AM
I. AM. IN. LOVE!!

I got home and was revving my car and looked up to see my neighbor standing on his porch looking at me. I got out and said "Sorry I just got some work done on her" and he replies with "Nah I came out cuz she purrs!! Sounds great!!"

I'm getting thumbs up from people and even had 2 techs at our Fiat dealership say they thought it sounded BETTER than an Abarth's exhaust with the turbo noise being a lot more prominent. Plus I like the fact that I saved $450 by not getting the exhaust so that's money I can put into other performance areas even sooner than planned!!

As for the for the $30 pricing, I was actually on my way to make a payment at this place and was passing by this muffler shop that's done some great work for me numerous times at a great price so I thought to myself "You know what? It's my day off, they look slow, let's see what he'd charge me!" and BAM! Here I am!! I made sure they boxed up the muffler but I highly doubt it will be going on after hearing how she sounds now!!

I recommend this mod to anyone not wanting to get an expensive exhaust system but still wants that aggressive sound!

dlric1
11-05-2014, 01:31 PM
just got quoted $40-$50 to do it. was the stock tip chopped off and welded onto the new pipe?

InFuZiOn
11-05-2014, 02:56 PM
Yessir and I stood right there and watched them do the mandrel bending(i think the mechanic was a little annoyed) but as I told the owner, this car is less than 2 weeks old and I know some mechanics can get a little rough when in a hurry or annoyed so I watched to make sure he was careful and everything was done correctly. The tip was welded onto the straight pipe and was centered perfectly. Everyone at the dealership couldn't even tell the exhaust was cut off!!

Long_John
11-06-2014, 10:42 AM
The muffler delete was my first mod. Every 500T owner who wants an Abarth sound should do it.

dlric1
11-06-2014, 03:14 PM
Yessir and I stood right there and watched them do the mandrel bending(i think the mechanic was a little annoyed) but as I told the owner, this car is less than 2 weeks old and I know some mechanics can get a little rough when in a hurry or annoyed so I watched to make sure he was careful and everything was done correctly. The tip was welded onto the straight pipe and was centered perfectly. Everyone at the dealership couldn't even tell the exhaust was cut off!!

you guys were right - had it done yesterday. suddenly all those lovely turbo sounds are uncorked. not to mention all the little pops and such. love it. and it's not very loud at all from inside the cabin - even with a rear seat delete. best of all, the deleted muffler now serves as a great place to put your drink on when working in the garage. win all around.

InFuZiOn
11-23-2014, 12:28 AM
Yeah I've got the stock muffler boxed up but I definitely don't see myself going back to that muffled sound now that you can really hear the turbo spool up and the pops like an Abarth! :D

opiateESP
11-23-2014, 02:32 AM
considering this myself, tho i do sort of like the stealth effect with the stock muffler. has anyone felt a difference butt dyno wise?

Glad to see you jumped on this. Dyno showed a 3 whp when I deleted mine. 3 whp is not enough to register on a "butt dyno" but it's a gain none the less.

Curtisc83
12-13-2014, 02:15 PM
I got the muffler delete done yesterday. The muffler shop charge me about 70 dollars for it. I was in and out in no time. Maybe it's my bad hearing but after reading how some folks didn't like the loud noise I was expecting something much louder. The muffler delete doesn't make my fiat obnoxious at all. It makes it louder and sound way more sporty with a deeper tone. But it's not going to wake the neighborhood if it's cranked up in the AM. Nor break windows if you punch it in a downtown area...LOL. My Ducati is still way louder than my Fiat and almost every mid sized truck/sports car on the road is louder. I also installed a V2.1 Eurocompulsion intake and even at highway speeds I can still hear my turbo spool up and down with the muffler delete. Maybe I'm just weird but that my experience with it since yesterday.

Long_John
12-16-2014, 11:38 AM
I only find it loud when I first start it at 5am in the morning when leaving for work. Its not only the high idle when its cold, but actually louder as you drive down the street crackling and popping. I prefer it this way actually. After it warms up, it definitely mellows down a bit.
Having the windows open even a crack makes the exhaust sound way louder as well.
I'll probably be switching to a straight 3" and add a muffler or resonator if its too loud. I want more power.

zyxelenator
12-16-2014, 11:41 AM
I heard rumors that NeuF is coming out with full catback single straight exhaust (reasonably priced for 500T and Abarth ofcourse for those who want to save weight. That is what I probably will get.

Klasse Act
12-16-2014, 01:00 PM
Congrats on the mod, its money WELL spent for sure! I did the same mod to my previous car, a Honda CR-Z and it sounded awesome! Some thought it was going to sound like the typical Honda "fart can" but come to think of it, how could it, there was NO can, LOL!

ophidia31
12-16-2014, 01:12 PM
I heard rumors that NeuF is coming out with full catback single straight exhaust (reasonably priced for 500T and Abarth ofcourse for those who want to save weight. That is what I probably will get.

Hopefully that is true as I want a single out to go with the turbo diffuser I bought thats just been sitting in the box. I mean, they (neuf) already have 90% of the work done with the current exhaust they offer.

InFuZiOn
12-24-2014, 07:57 PM
Yeah the MPx axle-back was the cheapest route I'd found before that would've gotten that same Abarth sound but I still had to get the diffuser then have all that installed. This was done in less than 45 minutes, looks stock and I can still go back whenever too!

Velodrome
02-26-2015, 11:01 AM
Come on lads. Throw a brother a bone. Errr... I mean a sound clip.