PDA

View Full Version : How to remap the EC/HPSI UniChip with a “Windows” IMac

Abarth Fun
10-25-2014, 05:07 PM
I got the Stage 2 upgrade this week and was going to remap the Unichip using my IMac. My IMac is running Windows 7 under Apple Bootcamp. I’ve been able to play computer games and use all Windows applications under Bootcamp without issues, so I was pretty sure that I could remap the Unichip as well.

However, when I followed the Unichip remap procedure, it didn’t work. Part of the procedure is to connect a cable from the Unichip to a USB port on the computer you use for the install. There is a switch that must be turned on for the computer and the Unichip to communicate. The problem that I had was the computer and Unichip weren’t communicating. The software program said that it couldn’t find a “Com Port”.

I didn’t know what to do, and when I tried a different computer (an old one running under Windows XP) I had the same issue. In both cases, the remapping software couldn’t find a Com Port so it couldn’t proceed. It was a bit frustrating.

After doing some asking around, a little reading and thinking on the subject, I understood that the cable that connects the computer to the Unichip is a USB to serial device. When this cable was connected to both my IMac and to the Windows XP computer, in both cases the computers did not have the proper USB to Serial device driver loaded, and in both cases, the computers did not automatically seek a driver. I don’t know why. Usually computers will seek drivers for new devices, but the Windows 7 (IMac/Bootcamp) and Windows XP (PC) didn’t.

The solution, at least for the IMac running Window 7 was to go to “Devices and Printers” (Windows 7) and take a look at what devices are shown. This must be done with the Unichip cable connected to the computer and the switch must be turned on. Sure enough, I found an icon for an unknown device, a “TTL232R” that had an error message next to it. The device wasn’t installed. So I figured this was the device for the Unichip. By opening the device icon and looking at the options there was an option to update the driver, and a further option to look on the internet to find a driver. I crossed my fingers and gave it a try.

When it downloaded and installed a driver and identified it as a USB serial port with a Com number I knew I was out of the woods.

After this I was able to follow the standard Unichip remap procedure quickly and easily.

Hopes this helps somebody- If you have a Mac running Windows 7 under Bootcamp, you CAN remap your Unichip!

klward3
10-25-2014, 05:37 PM
I got the Stage 2 upgrade this week and was going to remap the Unichip using my IMac. My IMac is running Windows 7 under Apple Bootcamp. I’ve been able to play computer games and use all Windows applications under Bootcamp without issues, so I was pretty sure that I could remap the Unichip as well.

However, when I followed the Unichip remap procedure, it didn’t work. Part of the procedure is to connect a cable from the Unichip to a USB port on the computer you use for the install. There is a switch that must be turned on for the computer and the Unichip to communicate. The problem that I had was the computer and Unichip weren’t communicating. The software program said that it couldn’t find a “Com Port”.

I didn’t know what to do, and when I tried a different computer (an old one running under Windows XP) I had the same issue. In both cases, the remapping software couldn’t find a Com Port so it couldn’t proceed. It was a bit frustrating.

After doing some asking around, a little reading and thinking on the subject, I understood that the cable that connects the computer to the Unichip is a USB to serial device. When this cable was connected to both my IMac and to the Windows XP computer, in both cases the computers did not have the proper USB to Serial device driver loaded, and in both cases, the computers did not automatically seek a driver. I don’t know why. Usually computers will seek drivers for new devices, but the Windows 7 (IMac/Bootcamp) and Windows XP (PC) didn’t.

The solution, at least for the IMac running Window 7 was to go to “Devices and Printers” (Windows 7) and take a look at what devices are shown. This must be done with the Unichip cable connected to the computer and the switch must be turned on. Sure enough, I found an icon for an unknown device, a “TTL232R” that had an error message next to it. The device wasn’t installed. So I figured this was the device for the Unichip. By opening the device icon and looking at the options there was an option to update the driver, and a further option to look on the internet to find a driver. I crossed my fingers and gave it a try.

When it downloaded and installed a driver and identified it as a USB serial port with a Com number I knew I was out of the woods.

After this I was able to follow the standard Unichip remap procedure quickly and easily.

Hopes this helps somebody- If you have a Mac running Windows 7 under Bootcamp, you CAN remap your Unichip!

This kind of thing is exactly why I also bootcamp windows 7 on my mac. On occasion, there is something I want to do that I can't do on my mac, or it is too hard for me to convert from pc instructions to mac execution. That being said, I'm sad to see that the Unichip doesn't support updating/remapping via OSX, I really hate windows.

Tweak
10-26-2014, 11:31 PM
Driver downloads: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/D2XX.htm
;)

EliRider
10-28-2014, 02:31 PM
I use VirtualBox on OS X without any problems. It does take awhile to get Windows running nicely in either case but once you do it's fine. Just manually select the USB device (TTL232R) in the VM USB settings. Once Windows is running in the VM, then load the drivers.

Another solution is just get a low cost Windows convertable tablet - which is great in running the self tuning or mapping software. I've tried tablets from Samsung, Acer, ... both Intel Atom and Core based systems.

Since I'm running the latest OS X Yosemite, I had to use an older build VirtualBox 4.3.16. This has nothing to do with the UniChip software but installation problems of VirtualBox on OSX Yosemite. Plus this is free.

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Download_Old_Builds_4_3

Tweak
10-28-2014, 09:53 PM
I use VirtualBox on OS X without any problems. It does take awhile to get Windows running nicely in either case but once you do it's fine. Just manually select the USB device (TTL232R) in the VM USB settings. Once Windows is running in the VM, then load the drivers.

Another solution is just get a low cost Windows convertable tablet - which is great in running the self tuning or mapping software. I've tried tablets from Samsung, Acer, ... both Intel Atom and Core based systems.

Since I'm running the latest OS X Yosemite, I had to use an older build VirtualBox 4.3.16. This has nothing to do with the UniChip software but installation problems of VirtualBox on OSX Yosemite. Plus this is free.

VirtualBox is great (always suggest getting the additional add-ons)! Atom cpu...BOO! I guess they can work but having used one I really think they along with the AMD APU offerings should be avoided if possible. ;)

FTY
10-28-2014, 10:12 PM

Thank you for posting this. Im sorry I couldnt be more of a help.

EliRider
10-28-2014, 11:34 PM
I have no reservations in recommending the latest Intel Atom offerings - they get better all the time. I use both a Intel Core based Hi-End desktop in my barn for tuning... and a Intel Atom based tablet during road tests. Awesome combination to have since they support virtualization hardware performance assists (Intel VT).

As for running virtualization or bootcamp on a Mac... it should work fine for loading maps. I like the virtualization option since you do not have to reboot the system. I run both Windows and OSX at home so I have different options to choose from.

As Tweak mentions, using the VirtualBox Guest Additions to your virtual machines adds nice user features to blend the OSX and Windows experience.

VirtualBox is great (always suggest getting the additional add-ons)! Atom cpu...BOO! I guess they can work but having used one I really think they along with the AMD APU offerings should be avoided if possible. ;)

Tweak
10-29-2014, 11:12 PM
I imagine the newest Atom offerings have improved greatly but the older ones simply lacked all power. In other words if buying old try to buy the newest old possible. ;)

klward3
10-30-2014, 05:48 PM
I've got a cheapie windows desktop at home that works fine for this stuff, and it probably is the easiest way to do it. I just like having the convenience of both OS on one machine, and the rebooting doesn't bother me much since I don't use windows much at all. How do you like Yosemite? I'm currently in France and don't have access to my backup disk, so I've been waiting until I get back to upgrade.