PDA

View Full Version : yet another unichip review

dlric1
10-20-2014, 10:59 AM
thought i'd share my experience thus far with the unichip (stage 1 for 500T). i've had it on the car for about a month now, and in all honesty, my review is pretty simple: it rips. the only other engine mod I have is the HCI. the car has completely transformed. it went from a pedestrian zippy little car to a slingshot on four wheels. the power is on tap anytime i want/need it. no need to get all the way on the throttle. hold it say 1/4 down and its just gone in 3rd-5th gear. 1st and 2nd are nice but run out quickly. ;)

i also can now start off in second (handy for stop and go traffic) which is a nice sort of convenience. non-sport mode has improved completely as well. the car is very smooth (my wife commented right away that the jerkiness was gone) yet has more than enough power on tap for everyday driving situations.

a couple notes: i narrowed the plug gap to 0.024" and it pulled smoother and harder to redline. the plugs were set at 0.027" originally. also, if you put the key in and turn it to the "on" position without starting it, it will throw a CEL. an obd2 reader and torque pro clears that up. it happened yesterday while i was distracted, heh, so easy to do.

now on to more mods (and that is the only downside thus far - the boost "addiction").

pip
10-20-2014, 01:22 PM
do the boost leak fix and adjust your pre load..... =)

Curtisc83
10-20-2014, 01:34 PM
thought i'd share my experience thus far with the unichip (stage 1 for 500T). i've had it on the car for about a month now, and in all honesty, my review is pretty simple: it rips. the only other engine mod I have is the HCI. the car has completely transformed. it went from a pedestrian zippy little car to a slingshot on four wheels. the power is on tap anytime i want/need it. no need to get all the way on the throttle. hold it say 1/4 down and its just gone in 3rd-5th gear. 1st and 2nd are nice but run out quickly. ;)

i also can now start off in second (handy for stop and go traffic) which is a nice sort of convenience. non-sport mode has improved completely as well. the car is very smooth (my wife commented right away that the jerkiness was gone) yet has more than enough power on tap for everyday driving situations.

a couple notes: i narrowed the plug gap to 0.024" and it pulled smoother and harder to redline. the plugs were set at 0.027" originally. also, if you put the key in and turn it to the "on" position without starting it, it will throw a CEL. an obd2 reader and torque pro clears that up. it happened yesterday while i was distracted, heh, so easy to do.

now on to more mods (and that is the only downside thus far - the boost "addiction").

I'm really on the fence about getting a Uni-chip for my 500T. Has the MPG improved, stayed the same or gotten worse after the upgrade?

boxerbay
10-20-2014, 01:53 PM

"if it aint broke dont fix it."

dlric1
10-20-2014, 02:35 PM

already adjusted the preload to 5mm, hehe. i know its a bit controversial but of course i had to try it for myself. i might back it down to 4mm but so far so good - seems to have done what everyone else has already said. boost leak fix is next up. we must be reading pages from the same book.

Jerseyboy
10-20-2014, 04:25 PM
I'm really on the fence about getting a Uni-chip for my 500T. Has the MPG improved, stayed the same or gotten worse after the upgrade?

I also have a T with the Uni Chip and my highway and combined MPG are up 1 to1.5, BUT strictly city MPG is down about 1 to 1.5 because it is just too much fun to hammer it.

Curtisc83
10-20-2014, 08:10 PM
I also have a T with the Uni Chip and my highway and combined MPG are up 1 to1.5, BUT strictly city MPG is down about 1 to 1.5 because it is just too much fun to hammer it.

So it improves? How is that possible when the Uni-Chip opens the 500T up. I would think it would eat a tad more gas. Or is the stock turbo so detuned it's actually super inefficient. I would be doing a lot of highway miles. About a 45 min commute one way on 90% highway.

dlric1
10-20-2014, 08:23 PM
So it improves? How is that possible when the Uni-Chip opens the 500T up. I would think it would eat a tad more gas. Or is the stock turbo so detuned it's actually super inefficient. I would be doing a lot of highway miles. About a 45 min commute one way on 90% highway.

i travel quite a bit for my work (city+hwy combined) and while i haven't tracked mileage, i was pleasantly surprised when i noticed that my avg mpg is 29.4, and that is within the last 800 miles (since my second re-learn after adding the unichip). and that is with a lot of "testing", ie WOT quite a bit.

Curtisc83
10-20-2014, 09:11 PM
i travel quite a bit for my work (city+hwy combined) and while i haven't tracked mileage, i was pleasantly surprised when i noticed that my avg mpg is 29.4, and that is within the last 800 miles (since my second re-learn after adding the unichip). and that is with a lot of "testing", ie WOT quite a bit.

What does WOT mean? So from what I gather is the mpg pretty much stays the same. Is the chip hard on the engine? My fiat has to be dependable first and fun second.

Tweak
10-20-2014, 10:42 PM
What does WOT mean? So from what I gather is the mpg pretty much stays the same. Is the chip hard on the engine? My fiat has to be dependable first and fun second.

WOT=Wide Open Throttle.

Jerseyboy
10-21-2014, 07:11 AM

With the chip the car has more power with less throttle so better mileage. As far as I am concerned, the EC Uni Chip is the best thing you can do to a T to make it more fun AND more driveable.

dlric1
10-21-2014, 11:45 AM
With the chip the car has more power with less throttle so better mileage. As far as I am concerned, the EC Uni Chip is the best thing you can do to a T to make it more fun AND more driveable.

agree 1000%. to that end, in non-sport mode, the car becomes "normal" and well behaved. it used to be sooooooo slow in non-sport mode. now sometimes i actually prefer the non-sport mode in normal driving situations because it civilizes the car yet has smooth, available power when you need it. reminds me of the pull that you might get from a sedan with a small six cylinder in it. the torque just carries the car forward with very little effort.

moosestang
10-24-2014, 04:35 PM
I always turn the key to on without starting, to let the fuel pump prime. I've never gotten a CEL because of it, even with the unichip.

Nightshift
10-26-2014, 04:49 AM

I've been running the Uni-chip for about a month; completely stock otherwise.
My city driving is mostly surface very little freeway. Prior mpg was 26.5 - 27, the last tank was 28.3, the car is just under 4K and 400 miles on the Uni-chip.
The 'smile factor' has trippled... :highly_amused:
I have a Sprint Booster coming; it'll be interesting to see how it reacts to the combo, only other mod will be an intake.
IMHO: Uni-chip has to be one of the best 'bang for the buck' mods available for the T.

WW-