PDA

View Full Version : Tire advice.

Tweak
10-12-2014, 12:08 AM
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+A%2FS+3+%28H-+or+V-Speed+Rated%29&partnum=04VR7PSAS3
$128 each

Nitto Neo Gen
http://www.1010tires.com/Tires/Nitto/Neo+Gen/185-030/size/205-40R17-XL
$113.99

In NC we see more ice than snow and there usually isn't much of either. I do not track the car but with several trips per year to the mountains grip is important to say the least. (I'd much rather slip off a track than a mountain ;) ). So the price isn't much different and I don't have intentions of a summer or winter only tire so I need to have the best year round tire. I wore the stock tires out pretty much in about 12K miles and now at 25K the second set is not yet hosed but they won't be making it by the time spring and the next mountain trip rolls around. Curious thoughts offered on these two offerings for year round performance in case people have used either of them. It'd be great to get more than 12K-15K out of a set of tires but now slowing down for turns and spirited mountain driving tends to shorten the lifespan a lot quicker so just looking for a nice medium. Thanks for thoughts and opinions, not really looking at other tires at this point, since I don't see anything else that fits me needs. (Unless the General G-Mac AS-03 is a viable contender).

I had the stock Pirelli and currently Kumho Ecsta 4X by the way.

Thanks.

YoungEnthusiast
10-12-2014, 01:55 AM
I've heard nothing but good things about the A/S 3 (I considered them myself). Michelin is always the top of the line tire IMO

Dwaynek
10-12-2014, 09:12 AM
I have the sport pilots very happy with ride much smoother than the zeros and no wandering of the car which occurred with the zeros.

Abarth Fun
10-12-2014, 11:28 AM
I'm getting a set of the A/S 3's installed tomorrow and am heading to the mountains this following weekend. Based on the reviews I've read and my own previous satisfaction with Michelins I have high expectations. They are supposed to be pretty phenomenal all season tires, in terms of grip, ride quality, quietness, and supposedly longevity.

V8EspritGuy
10-12-2014, 07:16 PM
That's not even fair comparing Michelin to Nitto.. Nitto makes some great track tires.. But Michelin is Michelin.. Arguably the best tire made. You won't hear anyone saying Nitto makes the best street tire! lol My Esprit wears NT01 road race tires and I'm considering a track set for the Abarth as well.. BUT they have a stiff as a board sidewall and soft as a gummy bear compound.. But they will dead hook 400+rw in 1st gear.. I'm probably going to run the Yokohama S drive in a 225/35 17 for my next set for daily driving..

Tweak
10-12-2014, 07:30 PM
Thanks for the opinions thus far guys. I know these are pretty different tires but the Nitto are supposed to be ultra high perf while the Michelin are just being called high perf. I figured the Michelin would likely get the most votes but I know one friend of mine raves on about the Nitto and from what I have seen they would be nice for spirited driving. I'm not looking to buy right away, got some time left but I wanted to know what I am going for when the time comes. I'm going to try to make it through winter on the Kumho set I have now since I don't drive much through the week anyway. Thanks again!

YoungEnthusiast
10-12-2014, 11:27 PM
The Michelin is by no means a slouch on the grip. Reviewers have compared them to max performance summer tires and it outperformed some. Matt Farah loves them, and he knows something about smoking tires lol.

http://www.thesmokingtire.com/2013/re-tired-testing-michelins-newest-all-season-tire/

Tweak
10-13-2014, 08:33 PM
The Michelin is by no means a slouch on the grip. Reviewers have compared them to max performance summer tires and it outperformed some. Matt Farah loves them, and he knows something about smoking tires lol.

http://www.thesmokingtire.com/2013/re-tired-testing-michelins-newest-all-season-tire/

I suppose he does...lol. Thanks. :D

doverosx
10-13-2014, 09:29 PM
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+A%2FS+3+%28H-+or+V-Speed+Rated%29&partnum=04VR7PSAS3
$128 each

Nitto Neo Gen
http://www.1010tires.com/Tires/Nitto/Neo+Gen/185-030/size/205-40R17-XL
$113.99

In NC we see more ice than snow and there usually isn't much of either. I do not track the car but with several trips per year to the mountains grip is important to say the least. (I'd much rather slip off a track than a mountain ;) ). So the price isn't much different and I don't have intentions of a summer or winter only tire so I need to have the best year round tire. I wore the stock tires out pretty much in about 12K miles and now at 25K the second set is not yet hosed but they won't be making it by the time spring and the next mountain trip rolls around. Curious thoughts offered on these two offerings for year round performance in case people have used either of them. It'd be great to get more than 12K-15K out of a set of tires but now slowing down for turns and spirited mountain driving tends to shorten the lifespan a lot quicker so just looking for a nice medium. Thanks for thoughts and opinions, not really looking at other tires at this point, since I don't see anything else that fits me needs. (Unless the General G-Mac AS-03 is a viable contender).

I had the stock Pirelli and currently Kumho Ecsta 4X by the way.

Thanks.

I don't believe the GMax's are on the same field as the NeoGens and AS/3's. The AS/3's are better than the Neos in cold weather traction. The Gmax AS-03s are terrific "average day drivers" with quite a good performance grunt, long tread life and very impressive water performance. They are NOISY however due to their tread design...though, I don't really care an neither does my girlfriend (they are installed on her Ford Focus). I don't expect the GMax to give better ice traction than the AS/3's since neither are really good for winter in Canada.

doverosx
10-13-2014, 09:31 PM
That's not even fair comparing Michelin to Nitto.. Nitto makes some great track tires.. But Michelin is Michelin.. Arguably the best tire made. You won't hear anyone saying Nitto makes the best street tire! lol My Esprit wears NT01 road race tires and I'm considering a track set for the Abarth as well.. BUT they have a stiff as a board sidewall and soft as a gummy bear compound.. But they will dead hook 400+rw in 1st gear.. I'm probably going to run the Yokohama S drive in a 225/35 17 for my next set for daily driving..

And yet, the Michelins are no where to be found in autocross...except for those lost souls thinking the PSS's are "cheater" tires ;). </devil'sadvocate>

slowbird
10-13-2014, 09:56 PM
Just my 2 cents here.

I went from the Stock Pirellis in 195/45R16 to the General G-Max AS03's in 205/45R16. I have driven them in cold weather (below freezing), track days, regular driving, high speeds, freeways, heavy rain, offroad, and here are my thoughts on them.

They are a great everyday tire that held up well in all circumstances. On the track they gripped well and had a predictable amount of traction.
In the rain they are awesome. really confidence inspriing. I found the stock Pirellis to be quite scary in deep rain.

The only down side to them is that above 100kph/60mph they can be a bit droney and noisey. Otherwise I love 'em. Great tire with great treadwear rating. The way our cars go through tires I don't want super sticky ones that'll be finished in one season.

I'm happy with them as my Summer tires.

Tweak
10-14-2014, 07:04 PM
Thanks again for the useful insight guys. I don't track but I do some mountain driving that is pretty close to track style driving. I don't see much snow, mostly ice and that's not much usually. I def need a tire for year round usage but I also want a nice sticky tire (compared to the Kumho and the stock Pirelli tires that is) so that's what I will be looking for. Michelin is sounding really good but the more opinions the better since I am checking now so I can buy before the spring Dragon meet and be ready to buy if needed sooner. Again, thanks to you all for the assistance!

James

MemoryFoam
10-14-2014, 09:40 PM
Installed 205/45ZR17 84W A/S 3's today.

Went shopping for Pilot Super Sports but the installer at my local dealer (I have used him for 35 years so I trust his opinions) said he had driven both tires at a recent Michelin track event for retailers and was faster on the A/S 3's. Bought the 45's because A) the OE Pirelli 40's are W rated the A/S 3 40's are V rated (the dealer would have done it, but did not really want the liability of downgrading the rating) and B) I thought the taller sidewalls might ride better than the Pirelli's did. (I'm not lowered so the increased height shouldn't matter - and the revs/mile are within 3% of the OE tires.)

It's been raining here all day, so I haven't been able to give them much of a test. They do ride better and there's no tramlining like the Pirelli's, but it will be this weekend before I can do any serious driving on them.

tonyep
10-15-2014, 03:07 AM
Installed 205/45ZR17 84W A/S 3's today.

Went shopping for Pilot Super Sports but the installer at my local dealer (I have used him for 35 years so I trust his opinions) said he had driven both tires at a recent Michelin track event for retailers and was faster on the A/S 3's. Bought the 45's because A) the OE Pirelli 40's are W rated the A/S 3 40's are V rated (the dealer would have done it, but did not really want the liability of downgrading the rating) and B) I thought the taller sidewalls might ride better than the Pirelli's did. (I'm not lowered so the increased height shouldn't matter - and the revs/mile are within 3% of the OE tires.)

It's been raining here all day, so I haven't been able to give them much of a test. They do ride better and there's no tramlining like the Pirelli's, but it will be this weekend before I can do any serious driving on them.

I did the same as well, upsizing to 45 but went with the PSS. Never liked how the Pzero nero rides, too noisy and harsh so I replaced it with less than 500 miles. I'm lowered on NeuF springs and koni shocks and it still rides better than stock.

Tweak
10-16-2014, 12:08 AM
Post up some pics or PM me, either way (tony and foam). I like the low profile look but they are harsh at times. Michelin is really getting the higher votes here! (Sort of expected that though).
Thanks again!

tonyep
10-16-2014, 04:33 AM
Post up some pics or PM me, either way (tony and foam). I like the low profile look but they are harsh at times. Michelin is really getting the higher votes here! (Sort of expected that though).
Thanks again!

http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14899&d=1413448169

Tweak
10-16-2014, 09:00 AM
Thanks tony...I'm pretty low currently up front but that might work to absorb some of the harshness (which I don't mind but feel would be better to avoid for the sake of the car).

MemoryFoam
10-16-2014, 04:33 PM
Thanks again!

Don't know how much detail you need, but here they are. My suspension is completely stock including ride height.

The 2 detail pics are the the front clearance of the left front and rear clearance of the right front at full right turn.

tonyep
10-16-2014, 05:50 PM
Thanks tony...I'm pretty low currently up front but that might work to absorb some of the harshness (which I don't mind but feel would be better to avoid for the sake of the car).

Mine is currently lowered on NeuF springs and it's not rubbing.

mp4guy
10-16-2014, 05:58 PM
Don't know how much detail you need, but here they are. My suspension is completely stock including ride height.

The 2 detail pics are the the front clearance of the left front and rear clearance of the right front at full right turn.

Are you getting any rubbing? I'm considering a swap myself, as the Pirellis are pretty disappointing.

EDIT- guess THAT was answered!!

Tweak
10-16-2014, 10:03 PM
Great guys! Much appreciated. Very helpful posts and pics. Leaning almost certainly toward the Michelin now. Unless something changes between now and a few months when it is time to take the plunge. I still need to get some new pads and fortunately another forum member (diff forum)/friend will hook me up with rotors which I HAVE to get sometime soon as well. So much want, so little $.

Bet you wish you had those on the car at the Dragon Mr. Foam. :D (Not sure how you feel about actual name usage here on the forum).

MemoryFoam
10-16-2014, 10:13 PM
Actually, I feel like the grip of the Pirelli's was their one redeeming feature - for a street tire, anyway. Harsh ride, severe tramlining/random brake pulling and to a lesser extent tread life were all negatives.

BTW, no problem with name usage.

Tweak
10-16-2014, 10:34 PM
Actually, I feel like the grip of the Pirelli's was their one redeeming feature - for a street tire, anyway. Harsh ride, severe tramlining/random brake pulling and to a lesser extent tread life were all negatives.

BTW, no problem with name usage.

Mr. Foam amuses me now that I think about it. :D

I hope the Michelin do as well if not far better than the Pirelli...really disliked them myself.

jason3d
10-16-2014, 10:55 PM
Can anyone comment who has had Yokohama S.Drives on this car? They look like they would be a nice relatively inexpensive option. Fortunately in socal I can run summer tires all year round. I'm surprised that the pirellis will get eaten so quickly from what I am hearing from others so am already keeping my eyes out for what the next set will be.

wilbmeister
10-18-2014, 09:36 PM
Tweak, I'm glad you started this thread as I too am looking for different tires for next spring. I will look to get the Michelin's before heading back to Tennessee in the spring.

Tweak
10-18-2014, 09:53 PM
Tweak, I'm glad you started this thread as I too am looking for different tires for next spring. I will look to get the Michelin's before heading back to Tennessee in the spring.

Hey hey buddy! I know I am in need of tires and DEF rotors before the next trip up there. Luckily Sal is hooking me up with his old rotors and I will snag some EBC Reds from Chris @ EC and tires from Tirerack before spring. (I wish it were spring already)! :D

wilbmeister
10-18-2014, 10:03 PM
Hey hey buddy! I know I am in need of tires and DEF rotors before the next trip up there. Luckily Sal is hooking me up with his old rotors and I will snag some EBC Reds from Chris @ EC and tires from Tirerack before spring. (I wish it were spring already)! :D

I received part of my shipment from Eurocompulsion yesterday. The springs, V3 intake, and HPSI vacuum kit. Waiting for the Ram Air hose and the Uni-chip Stage 1 and 2.

Tweak
10-19-2014, 08:31 PM
I received part of my shipment from Eurocompulsion yesterday. The springs, V3 intake, and HPSI vacuum kit. Waiting for the Ram Air hose and the Uni-chip Stage 1 and 2.

Someone certainly plans to be faster come spring...lol. ;) Got some nice goodies on the way, congrats!

Amir87
10-20-2014, 09:17 PM
Can anyone comment who has had Yokohama S.Drives on this car? They look like they would be a nice relatively inexpensive option. Fortunately in socal I can run summer tires all year round. I'm surprised that the pirellis will get eaten so quickly from what I am hearing from others so am already keeping my eyes out for what the next set will be.

I went from 195/35/17 Yoko's S Drive's to 205/40/17 Nitto Neo Gen and was extremely pleased with the yoko's. They lasted close to 20k miles had very good grip in dry/wet conditions, even drove them in the snow once. They have a good stiff sidewall but with a 35 profile lowered on springs, the ride was harsh.

Currently I have about 300 miles on the Neo Gens and they seem to have a softer sidewall, but I'm quite sure that's due to increase of 35 to 40 profile tires. I like how the Neo Gens are all-season and so far I'm pleased with my choice.

I'll update once I put a few thousand miles on the Nitto's.

Tweak
10-20-2014, 10:38 PM
I went from 195/35/17 Yoko's S Drive's to 205/40/17 Nitto Neo Gen and was extremely pleased with the yoko's. They lasted close to 20k miles had very good grip in dry/wet conditions, even drove them in the snow once. They have a good stiff sidewall but with a 35 profile lowered on springs, the ride was harsh.

Currently I have about 300 miles on the Neo Gens and they seem to have a softer sidewall, but I'm quite sure that's due to increase of 35 to 40 profile tires. I like how the Neo Gens are all-season and so far I'm pleased with my choice.

I'll update once I put a few thousand miles on the Nitto's.

Good to see you're still around occasionally. Glad you have the Abarth still and look forward to the thoughts on the tires.

doverosx
10-21-2014, 05:52 PM

You will love the S.Drives. They are an optimal tire in almost all cases but only lose it in specific areas...meaning say in my case, I want loads of grip and don't care about anything else. I'd easily pit the S. Drives against the AS/3's any day and they should be cheaper as well.

Abarth Fun
10-21-2014, 06:51 PM
I just returned from a weekend mountain trip and drove the Dragon, the Cherohala Skyway, Foothills Parkway, and part of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Between the Koni yellows (stock springs) and the Michelin AS3s, I was one very happy driver on those roads and I just don't think you will go wrong with these tires. These cars are made for those roads!

Tweak
10-21-2014, 08:46 PM
I have not looked at the S drives as an option but might be worth at least considering.

These cars on those roads are SO MUCH fun I want to move there! :D

tensleep
11-02-2014, 03:47 PM
I have an 800 mile trip coming up in a couple of weeks. Hmmmm, I wonder if I could take the time and go the back roads on a new set of tires? You guys are throwing a monkey wrench into my schedule.

My Abarth is stock, and while the idea of more sidewall is appealing, the pictures showing the clearance looks a little too tight for me.

Timetrapper
11-04-2014, 06:12 PM
i recommend picking the tires that will keep you from falling off the mountain, especially during snow, as opposed to track performance and sacrifice the mountain road safety!

Second, while all the tire people are here, there any performance difference either on the track or street in 16's vs 17's inch wheels?

Gharbeson
11-04-2014, 07:02 PM
I have Yokahama S drives on 17 wheels. Great around town and pretty decent on the track. I put them on for the Texas Mile event a week or so ago. They are a little harder compund than my regular track tires. For the track I use Hoosier slicks or Toyo Proxes for tracking and racing. the Toyo's are surprisingly good for driving to and from the track and are amazing as a race tire especially when the track may be a bit wet and the faster cars are sliding around on their Hoosier slicks. I use 16 inch wheels. With the Hoosiers and Toyo's. I'd certainly vote for the Toyo Proxes for a great road race tire that can be driven on the streets