PDA

View Full Version : Pure Highway MPG Test

Andree
10-10-2014, 03:30 PM
This is for everyone. Stick shift. Automatic. Pop, Sport, Lounge, Turbo, Abarth, 500L, 500x, and any classic Fiats.

The EPA has their testing. The rest of us have our daily real world driving experiences. And we end up with all kinds of results for our mpg. My "city driving" isn't the same as your "city driving".

But there is a way we can compare, fairly equally. The pure highway mpg test will do it.

The instructions are simple.

Find a gas station near a freeway.

Fill up to the first click. Note your odometer reading, and/or set your trip odometer at zero.

Get on freeway, drive 50 miles. Steady speed.

Exit and reenter freeway, drive back 50 miles and return to the gas station.

Fill up to the first click AT THE SAME PUMP.

Use the odometer/trip odometer number and the gallons used to fill up to calculate your mpg.

I posted my results in the 500 Automatic (edit, my car is the regular 500 automatic Lounge trim) mileage thread, and here's a copy and paste:

Starting miles 2435
Ending miles 2522
Total miles driven 87 hand calc, 87.2 via EVIC

Second fill up used 1.930 gallons. That is how much was used to travel the 87 miles.

MPG: 45.97 hand calc - using 87 miles traveled
45.18 hand calc, 41.6 via EVIC using 87.2 miles traveled.

Time to travel: 1:30
Ave speed: 56 mph

http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?7295-500-Automatic-mileage&p=709075&viewfull=1#post709075

As with the real world variables, I did encounter a few stumbling blocks, when the traffic backed up, came to a standstill, because of the Highway Patrol doing traffic calming. And I got lost on various offramps and construction areas. This would have had the result of lowering my highway mpg. And my average speed, as I mostly drove 60-65 (speed limit 65).

I used cruise control the rest of the time, occasionally clicking down a few mph due to traffic, and then back up. Mostly steady driving.

You want a level freeway. Or one that has it's ups and downs, but isn't extreme uphill in one direction and downhill in the other. This test may not be useful for some areas that do have mega inclines or lots of twists.

This is PURE HIGHWAY.

The reason for this is to know what your vehicle is capable of, and what it IS getting ON THE HIGHWAY. Straight, unabashed, ho-hum highway.

It won't be mixed in with the trips to and from the freeway. Home, work, stopping for lunch, etc. You're eliminating all the non-highway gas sucking idling at stop lights (zero mpg).

This will tell you your real mpg while you are on highways in similar conditions. I now know what I am getting when I drive even a few miles on the freeway at the same speed, still should be getting that wonderful 45 mpg, over ten miles as I was getting over 80 miles.

And, if you noticed, my average mpg according to the trip odometer EVIC was several mpg LESS than what I actually got. You may find the same thing. The average is an average...it's not measuring the fuel as accurately as the gas pump does. That's why you use the gas pump gallons to calculate your mpg.

It took me awhile to get around to doing this myself, so I don't expect everyone to jump on the idea immediately. But it's there. I found the drive to be relaxing and pleasant, scenery was soothing.

Give it a whirl, and post your results. Starting/ending odometer, gallons used according to second fill up. Speed you were traveling helps too.

Andree
10-10-2014, 04:17 PM
way to much work, I fill hers up when it starts to get low. Mileage meh not overly concerned.

Way to harsh my mellow! :)

boostfreak
10-10-2014, 04:17 PM
way to much work, I fill hers up when it starts to get low. Mileage meh not overly concerned.

Then why are you in this thread?

I'll give it a shot

Andree
10-10-2014, 04:21 PM
I'll give it a shot

YAY!!! :clap:

opiateESP
10-10-2014, 04:40 PM
I'll try this out this weekend. Can't say I've ever even really looked at my mileage but i'm sure it'll be interesting!

ophidia31
10-10-2014, 06:52 PM
While this works out in the short run and gives you an idea, I can easily flubb the numbers to get better or worse in that short amount of mileage. Can hypermile the thing (speed up quick, coast down, repeat) and probably get upwards of 40+. But thats not how I drive. Ill stick with my 34mpgs I get now.

MemoryFoam
10-10-2014, 07:30 PM
I think 100 miles is too short a distance to overcome driving & fill-up variables.

http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?16065-Road-Trip&p=684935#post684935

Tweak
10-10-2014, 08:06 PM
Then why are you in this thread?

I'll give it a shot

Reading his posts give me such a feeling of deja vous even when it is oh so tiny a request being made. :D

Andree
10-10-2014, 11:04 PM
I think 100 miles is too short a distance to overcome driving & fill-up variables.

http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?16065-Road-Trip&p=684935#post684935

Hmm, I drove at 60-65 mph on cruise control. Can you try out 65? I think you lose mpg quite fast above that. I'm in an automatic regular 500 (Lounge trim), it has the six speeds. In the manual with five speeds, winding it out will probably cut into the mpg more than it does with the six speeds.

And let me ask you, if you could get 10 miles more per gallon by reducing your speed from 70 to 65 mph, WOULD you drive 65 mph?

I prefer driving slower, with a max of 60 or so. I like 55 mph, on the freeway. No, I don't get anywhere fast, but I don't have anywhere to go that requires me to get there fast. As long as I stay out of everyone's way, in light traffic, I don't think it's a problem for anyone else.

On this trip, after being whizzed by, by everyone, I'd click the cruise control up one mph, try that speed, and just click up or down as needed. It was only my second time using cruise control. I really like how I can choose my speed precisely, one mile per hour at a time.

Andree
10-10-2014, 11:16 PM
While this works out in the short run and gives you an idea, I can easily flubb the numbers to get better or worse in that short amount of mileage. Can hypermile the thing (speed up quick, coast down, repeat) and probably get upwards of 40+. But thats not how I drive. Ill stick with my 34mpgs I get now.

I don't think you have to hyper mile. I didn't. I used straight cruise control. The car does all the work. It speeds up, it slows down, it keeps going at a constant speed.

And yes, a few traffic snarls, and you lose some mpg. Nothing you can do about that, unless you want to keep making mpg runs until you've achieved the PERFECT mpg run with no traffic, no slowdowns, no hangups.

I probably should have planned out the run to find a cloverleaf freeway intersection, so I didn't have to exit the freeway at all, or stop at traffic signals. I will try to do that the next time I make a run. Minimal slowing to max out the mpg.

Andree
10-11-2014, 12:03 AM
By the way, nobody HAS to do this. It's not a competition to see who has the best, it's more for our own personal information to see what our cars are capable of.

I have posted the story in the other thread, where I had my Honda Fit tested. Had to do with the mpg being totally off, showing we were getting more than we were actually getting, and there was a service advisory and flash update made because of the test. Everyone was complaining, but nobody wanted to take their car in to address the problem. So I did it.

And the mechanic did the test that I did, the mpg test. The instructions came from the Honda corporate place. That allowed a comparison between what the car was showing as being the mpg, and what the actual mpg was. With the Honda, it showed everyone was getting 10 percent better gas mileage than they were actually getting, and people felt that was deceitful.

Now, if the average on the Fiat is underestimated, and people are only using the evic info from the trip odometer, they may be getting MORE mpg than they thought they were. I did. My trip odometer showed only 41.6. My hand calculations showed 45.18.

This is a way to compare your mpg against your trip odometer. Very valuable information, to me.

This is a way to compare your highway drive with others, without any special circumstances. Use the cruise control, try speeds between 60-65. Folks with manuals shouldn't have to be downshifting or upshifting, it will just be a nice steady speed on cruise control.

And now that I know how to use cruise control with some confidence, I'll be using it more often.

This is for YOU. For YOU to know what your car can do. It's a special circumstances kind of drive, that you normally wouldn't be making.

For me, it was a delight. Why? Because all my driving is low speed, no speed, stop and go, parking lot driving, idling, parking. And I get horrible gas mileage because of it. I have also only been using the trip odometer reading, which may be less than what I am actually getting, as I discovered on my highway test.

Now if someone asks me about my mpg I can proudly say it gets 45 mpg highway. Because it does.

And I'm expecting surprises for each of you, for the people that try this out. It's too hard to compare random city driving or random highway driving. This is trying to compare on equal grounds, on mostly flat highway, at a mostly controlled speed, without any special driving skills required.

It's a gift. For those that have less than ideal daily driving habits and roadways and routes, it's a gift to you to know that your car is capable of great mpg. And IS getting great mpg under the same circumstances.

Andree
10-15-2014, 03:28 AM
Have at it but this test is anything but real world or long term accurate

No one is going to do it anyway, as I already wrecked the thread by explaining too much. And you didn't exactly help. I can wreck things on my own, thanks.

The only thing missing now is the appropriate clip from the movie "Clue" with Martin Mull saying "That's right".

Fiat500USA
10-15-2014, 09:52 AM
I think it is a fun little test, and will try it when I get a chance. Don't let the noise bother you. Letting the cruise control do its thing takes you out of the loop somewhat, so you rely a little more on the car.

snakebite4767
10-15-2014, 10:26 AM
No... it's not "Real World", but so what. It could be fun to see just how high it could go. Kinda like some of those High Mileage test done on the Salt Flats where they squeeze out 1,258,000 mpg! :jaw: I live too far from a Highway to run out and do the test, but if I can fit it in the next time I have occasion to travel that far on a level road I might give it a try.... just for giggles. I did a real world test last weekend. It was over Hill and Dale..... actually some very BIG hills. MPG becomes more important the farther you live from town.... and the more you drive. I bought the Fiat to do my "Running Around" here at home rather than use my new Truck which I need to pull my 5th wheel. By not using the truck, I went from 13 mpg average with truck and no trailer, to 39 mpg average with the Fiat. I expect to put maybe 10,000 miles a year on the Fiat. That is a savings of around $2,000 a year in fuel alone! At the $12,000 that I paid for this Fiat, it will pay for itself pretty quickly.

Bottom line is this... unless you put on MANY miles.......... it just doesn't matter what your mpg are.

Snakebite

JimmyTestarossa
10-15-2014, 10:37 AM
The test sounds interesting but I'm not sure I will be able to contribute. I have an app on my phone that I use to track fuel mileage. It is often in disagreement with EVIC.

Klasse Act
10-15-2014, 11:52 AM
I just recently got back from The Tail of the Dragon trip and kept track of mileage, like I always do, using my fuelly app. My username there is Klasse Act and they make you name your car, so I used Backfire. On the way home, with the a/c on and doing the speed limit and hitting a traffic jam one time, I got 41.0 mpg, besting my previous record of 39.3 mpg. This 41.0 mpg was done between Corbin Kentucky and Lafayette Indiana, the 39.3 mpg was done going from Chicagoland to Detroit in the spring w/o using the a/c and driving through various construction zones, meaning some lower speeds.

Andree
10-15-2014, 03:26 PM
I think it's as "real". If I lived where I live (hey there! I do live where I live!) and made the Silicon Valley commute M-F, I could choose to use 280 (highway), and would therefore be on the same highway, the same stretches, going about the same speed. At least for part of the roadway, if the traffic doesn't get too heavy.

I already know that the three mile to/from the store at stop and go or low speeds and maneuvering the parking lot makes my mpg low.

What if I wanted to know what kind of mpg I get on various segments of my journey? If I was commuting to San Jose, I might want to know my pure highway mpg (as best I can do it), separate from the stinky low mpg I get in the huge grocery store parking lot. Or the often bumper to bumper hold up just to get TO the freeway at certain times of the day.

The EPA itself does separate city and highway tests. What I'm doing with the highway test is trying to minimize the "city" and maximize the "highway" for a personalized highway mpg for ME, in MY car, on MY local roads.

Vast numbers of people do this commute daily. And outside of the bumper to bumper getting to and from the freeway at homes and workplaces, this is a "real life" route. If they are driving just under the speed limit on cruise control, they are doing the same kind of driving I did. They can get an idea of how great their mpg is for JUST the highway portions by doing this test. Filtering out everything but the highway.

And anytime I drive on that highway, after my car is warmed up, using the same speed and cruise control, I am, in real life getting 45 mpg for that portion of my journey. This makes me happy.

Everyone already knows they get zero miles per gallon by idling. You could run through an entire tank (eventually) by just letting the car idle until it runs out of gas. That's another portion of most journeys, where are car will idle.

Here's a video that mentions "real world mpg":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zWXwqqqHm0

Fiat500USA
10-15-2014, 07:41 PM
I use the cruise control all the time and it does make it easy to get good gas mileage. If I was hypermiling I could get better control using my foot and it would be a little better, but for ease the cruise can't be beat.

Tweak
10-15-2014, 11:34 PM
I just recently got back from The Tail of the Dragon trip and kept track of mileage, like I always do, using my fuelly app. My username there is Klasse Act and they make you name your car, so I used Backfire. On the way home, with the a/c on and doing the speed limit and hitting a traffic jam one time, I got 41.0 mpg, besting my previous record of 39.3 mpg. This 41.0 mpg was done between Corbin Kentucky and Lafayette Indiana, the 39.3 mpg was done going from Chicagoland to Detroit in the spring w/o using the a/c and driving through various construction zones, meaning some lower speeds.

Backfire sounds like a great name for a Fiat Transformer...lol.

Impressive MPGs too.

Klasse Act
10-22-2014, 08:33 AM
Backfire sounds like a great name for a Fiat Transformer...lol.

Impressive MPGs too.

Thanks Tweak and my overall mileage, using trip B was 34.5 mpg, with the hard driving and all, well, as hard as I could considering the damp/wet roads. Its going to suck as winter approaches as the mpg's drop but atleast the gas is dropping almost daily!

klward3
10-24-2014, 05:48 PM
Before I bought my Abarth my dad and I used to share an '03 civic hybrid. We had mpg contests all the time. He always won, but it was fun trying to get every last mpg we could out of that car. Got this between a fill up and my house once. Doesn't mean anything with only 0.8 miles, but I was pretty excited to see the number pop up! For reference I could get 49 or so on a full tank, he could get 60.

I've gotten between 33 and 34 every time I've driven the Abarth on the highway, all about 500 mile trips. This was at 79-85 mph though, I imagine it would go down quite a bit at lower speeds. I'll give your test a try when I get back to the states.

Klasse Act
10-25-2014, 07:35 AM
Before I bought my Abarth my dad and I used to share an '03 civic hybrid. We had mpg contests all the time. He always won, but it was fun trying to get every last mpg we could out of that car. Got this between a fill up and my house once. Doesn't mean anything with only 0.8 miles, but I was pretty excited to see the number pop up! For reference I could get 49 or so on a full tank, he could get 60.

I've gotten between 33 and 34 every time I've driven the Abarth on the highway, all about 500 mile trips. This was at 79-85 mph though, I imagine it would go down quite a bit at lower speeds. I'll give your test a try when I get back to the states.

I think you mean't the mpg's would go UP at lower speeds, LOL!

klward3
10-25-2014, 12:09 PM
I think you mean't the mpg's would go UP at lower speeds, LOL!

Haha I certainly did! But it would be nice to have a car that increased mpgs at higher speeds! :burnout:

doverosx
11-07-2014, 03:13 PM
No one is going to do it anyway, as I already wrecked the thread by explaining too much. And you didn't exactly help. I can wreck things on my own, thanks.

The only thing missing now is the appropriate clip from the movie "Clue" with Martin Mull saying "That's right".

I'm surprised by these responses....are you guys telling me that you don't want ANY excuse to go for a drive in your cars? I'll be doing this test when I go to install my AMSOIL Dominator Coolant Boost.

doverosx
11-08-2014, 08:27 PM
Didn't end up installing the coolant boost but I got a number!

35.6 MPG using Shell 91 at ~0 degrees celsius at 63 mph.

Shawnb
11-08-2014, 09:04 PM
I do about 70% street driving, on roads that are on average 45+ mph. My 12 abarth is averaging 29mpg, I don't even remotely try to conserve fuel. Impressed!

Andree
11-08-2014, 09:33 PM
Didn't end up installing the coolant boost but I got a number!

35.6 MPG using Shell 91 at ~0 degrees celsius at 63 mph.

You have the Abarth stick, yes? So you beat the Fuel Economy estimate number of 34 for highway! Good job!

Fabio13
11-09-2014, 12:49 PM
2013 500 Sport Automatic. Got back from Tail of the dragon trip. Just touched 41mpg on secondary roads. 36mpg on fwy at speed 70ish mph. Around town I get 29-33mpg depending on how happy I get.

doverosx
11-12-2014, 12:17 PM
You have the Abarth stick, yes? So you beat the Fuel Economy estimate number of 34 for highway! Good job!

Yes sir!!!

Andree
11-12-2014, 10:55 PM
Yes sir!!!

Make that a ma'am or miss...wait... "Yes miss" sounds like an approaching-too-soon holiday.

Did you have different readings between the EVIC and the hand calculation? Did you do the gas up to first click thing and return to the gas station at the end of the drive to measure the gas amount used for the drive?

I have the feeling that folks don't much want to do that part with the gas station fill ups and the going to the same pump. It is somewhat bothersome, but it's the part that allows us to compare our EVIC with fairly accurate hand calculations and the pump fuel amount. In the original post, my hand calculations showed higher mpg than did the EVIC.

And that is the reason for the test in the first place, way back when I learned about it for my Honda Fit. The car's stated average seemed to be off. So there was this way of comparing the car's average and the actual miles and gallons used for a specific trip on the highway.

The EVIC is just an average, and it's NOT accurate. I'd guess some trips would be more accurate than others, but it's an average.

The more accurate measurement is using the same pump and the gallons used for a specific trip. The pump should be clicking off when the pressure reaches a certain point. It should be consistent each time, and you want to use the same pump for that reason.

It's about as close to "scientific" as we can get as everyday users. No special tools or devices required.

And it's a reflection of what our cars can do, driving strictly highway at a steady speed. That's why I put in the speed I generally traveled and things that happened the threw off the mpg. The speed can have a HUGE impact on the mpg. And it gives us something to compare again, even with ourselves. Find a route, do it at 60 mph. Maybe the following week, do the same route at 65 (depending on speed limits, of course). Some folks have much higher maximum speed limits in their areas.

Finding out what our cars use and can do is a good thing. Gas prices are reportedly low at this time. Many folks have no concerns over the price of gas. On the other hand, when gas costs are high, many more are concerned. And that's not the time to be wasting fuel running test laps for best mpg. Do it while the gas is fairly cheap. Then if gas skyrockets, you will already know that reducing your speed by maybe 5 mph will result in a savings for your commute, a savings that matters when costs are high.

I'm on a very small fixed income. Some folks here have mentioned spending almost as much on their electricity bill monthly that I receive via Social Security. So, yeah, those little savings help.

doverosx
11-13-2014, 08:50 AM
Make that a ma'am or miss...wait... "Yes miss" sounds like an approaching-too-soon holiday.

Did you have different readings between the EVIC and the hand calculation? Did you do the gas up to first click thing and return to the gas station at the end of the drive to measure the gas amount used for the drive?

I have the feeling that folks don't much want to do that part with the gas station fill ups and the going to the same pump. It is somewhat bothersome, but it's the part that allows us to compare our EVIC with fairly accurate hand calculations and the pump fuel amount. In the original post, my hand calculations showed higher mpg than did the EVIC.

And that is the reason for the test in the first place, way back when I learned about it for my Honda Fit. The car's stated average seemed to be off. So there was this way of comparing the car's average and the actual miles and gallons used for a specific trip on the highway.

The EVIC is just an average, and it's NOT accurate. I'd guess some trips would be more accurate than others, but it's an average.

The more accurate measurement is using the same pump and the gallons used for a specific trip. The pump should be clicking off when the pressure reaches a certain point. It should be consistent each time, and you want to use the same pump for that reason.

It's about as close to "scientific" as we can get as everyday users. No special tools or devices required.

And it's a reflection of what our cars can do, driving strictly highway at a steady speed. That's why I put in the speed I generally traveled and things that happened the threw off the mpg. The speed can have a HUGE impact on the mpg. And it gives us something to compare again, even with ourselves. Find a route, do it at 60 mph. Maybe the following week, do the same route at 65 (depending on speed limits, of course). Some folks have much higher maximum speed limits in their areas.

Finding out what our cars use and can do is a good thing. Gas prices are reportedly low at this time. Many folks have no concerns over the price of gas. On the other hand, when gas costs are high, many more are concerned. And that's not the time to be wasting fuel running test laps for best mpg. Do it while the gas is fairly cheap. Then if gas skyrockets, you will already know that reducing your speed by maybe 5 mph will result in a savings for your commute, a savings that matters when costs are high.

I'm on a very small fixed income. Some folks here have mentioned spending almost as much on their electricity bill monthly that I receive via Social Security. So, yeah, those little savings help.

I think the 2015 LCD EVIC's are much more accurate because my reading was exact. I'll keep track on my fuelly to see just how it compares.

Also, miss, I did in fact go to the same gas pump and that was a very confused gas station attendant!

Andree
11-13-2014, 10:18 PM
I think the 2015 LCD EVIC's are much more accurate because my reading was exact. I'll keep track on my fuelly to see just how it compares.

Also, miss, I did in fact go to the same gas pump and that was a very confused gas station attendant!

Oh! It does help also to put in the year, trim, transmission. Sometimes I'll remember, but folks just passing through looking at the numbers won't have a clue who has what car.

Maybe the new LCD ones are more accurate. Now we need a bunch more people to test it out and compare. Alas, you and I are the only ones so far to do the test.

Would love to have seen the attendant's face! Just tell them it's a mpg test. They may have no idea what you mean, but they'll nod as if they know, as you've given them some reason to go to the same pump. Plus, it's fun to gas up, leave, come back a couple hours later and gas up again. If they noticed you the first time, they'll be scratching their heads the second time.

Fabio13
11-14-2014, 01:08 AM
2013 500 Sport Automatic. Got back from Tail of the dragon trip. Just touched 41mpg on secondary roads. 36mpg on fwy at speed 70ish mph. Around town I get 29-33mpg depending on how happy I get.

Okay, 42.2mpg while driving on a hwy that was 45 mph. After awhile it gets tiring going that slow!

Andree
11-14-2014, 03:03 AM
Okay, 42.2mpg while driving on a hwy that was 45 mph. After awhile it gets tiring going that slow!

Wow! In a Sport Automatic, you got 42.2! That is really good. It might get tiring going slower speeds on slower roads, but it IS the speed limit. LOL! Don't forget to use your cruise control, so the car does all the work!

I'm getting a kick out of these high figures! Yours is better with the automatic than the estimate for the stick shift! :)

I'm really happy people are participating and trying to get the major fuel economy via highway mpg tests.

There are so many people that will browse cars and forums, looking for facts before buying. This test will help them to know what they can expect to get on the highway, at what speeds. Pure highway.

Long commuters may reconsider their options, choosing Fiat over other cars. Or being able to choose the automatic and know they CAN get great mpg on the highway.

Take a look at this list of top ten most fuel efficient vehicles:
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/topten.jsp

You may have to toggle the "YES/NO" to "NO" to hide the all-electric vehicles. What do you see? Nothing but hybrids after hiding the electrics. But take a closer look at the numbers. At the highway numbers.

We aren't going to be close on the city numbers. That is where a hybrid shines. And the hybrid becomes less thrifty on the highway, that's when the gas engine is working. Lo and behold, your all-gas Sport Automatic beats the pants off of some of the hybrids on the freeway.

And that's why it's important to do these kinds of tests. Folks may automatically assume any hybrid is better...and it's not...not when it comes to highway driving.

If you do all your driving in the city (40 mph and under), and do lots of it, then the hybrid is a good idea. The extra cost will be balanced by the city mpg. If you're commuting (40 mph plus), check out our Fiats!

Andree
11-14-2014, 08:25 AM
By the way, I was going to say that maybe the cars listed also get better mpg than what is shown as their estimates. But then I ran into an article on the Mini Cooper change to the 2014 window stickers, as they did NOT get what they stated:
http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?18784-Whoops!-Mini-fuel-econ-updated-lowered

So I guess mpg can go any way, it might be better than the estimates, worse than the estimates, or even the estimates were off so much that it requires a window sticker change. I wonder if they've ever had to raise the window sticker estimates?

If you look at the Fuel Economy site for my automatic Lounge, it's highway estimate is 34.
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=33029

And I think I now know why the test said to go 100 miles, 50 out, 50 back. Because they mention number of gallons used per 100 miles on the Fuel Economy site.
30 MPG combined city/highway
City MPG:27 Highway MPG:34
3.3 gal/100mi

I did put in my miles traveled and gas gallons on the second fill up to the first click.

Fiat500USA
11-14-2014, 09:07 AM
I asked someone from the company a while ago about the fuel economy ratings. They were really concerned with making sure that the ratings were realistic and someone could achieve them. They also expressed surprise about Hyundai's numbers. I suggested Hyundai filled their seats with feathers and pumped their tires up to 100 lbs. Of course we found out later that Hyundai was stretching the truth.

I do pretty well, currently averaging 34 mpg over the course of the past couple of years, Here is my Fuelly logs:

http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/327661.png (http://www.fuelly.com/car/abarth/500/2012/Fiat500USA/327661)

I rarely drive on the highway and that is mostly my rural, 15 mile commute to work with 7 stop signs and 5 traffic lights. I think I hit 38 mpg on a tank with a lot of highway driving once. I really want to try the highway test and see what happens!

Andree
11-15-2014, 06:10 AM
I asked someone from the company a while ago about the fuel economy ratings. They were really concerned with making sure that the ratings were realistic and someone could achieve them. They also expressed surprise about Hyundai's numbers. I suggested Hyundai filled their seats with feathers and pumped their tires up to 100 lbs. Of course we found out later that Hyundai was stretching the truth.

I do pretty well, currently averaging 34 mpg over the course of the past couple of years, Here is my Fuelly logs:

http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/327661.png (http://www.fuelly.com/car/abarth/500/2012/Fiat500USA/327661)

I rarely drive on the highway and that is mostly my rural, 15 mile commute to work with 7 stop signs and 5 traffic lights. I think I hit 38 mpg on a tank with a lot of highway driving once. I really want to try the highway test and see what happens!

Looking forward to reading your results! I think even you will be surprised and pleased with the pure highway test.

The estimates they put out are hard to duplicate on an everyday level. Each person has their own area, a specific commute, a route they HAVE to take, all over the US. Different conditions.

And I will never come close to the city driving estimates, because MY driving consists of a short route that is stop and go, at low speeds, and parking lot navigation. Store round trips of about 3 miles. The longest trips I might make are to the farther away store mall, or one of several hospitals/clinics for doctor appointments.

I'd been reading over in the 500e thread about how long folks were going to keep their 500e:
http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?18763-How-long-will-you-keep-your-500e

They were chatting about range and the battery slowly losing it's capacity. And I'm thinking, the car would be ideal for me even at 25% original capacity...or about a 20-25 mile range. There is definitely a market for those cars in the future, I'm one of those people! The "run to the store" car. Which is all I truly need. I'm not commuting. But I can't afford to buy one new.

Meanwhile, comparing all the cars available, and the costs with buying a car, I can't afford to go hybrid or electric, and don't want a larger car. I like the size of the 500. No matter what gas car I'd choose, it will get the world's crappiest mpg with my driving needs.

Doing the highway mpg test made me feel so much better. I DO have the option to take the freeway to go to the farther store. And I'm taking it when I can, at least to get there, and using the cruise control. It DOES make a difference in my overall mpg. I know now that I am getting GREAT mpg while on that freeway at a steady speed. That's the one place I can make a difference in my driving habits.

Folks may find they have a choice somewhere in their driving needs throughout the month, to take the freeway and also get the improved mpg. Even if it's a monthly trip to Costco, or only a ten mile stretch of highway, it's making a difference in the gas used. This should be true for ANY of the vehicles people own.

It's through this test that you can see what your cars and trucks can do.

There should be a sign at the entrance to the freeway that says "Hello great mpg!" I don't really like freeways, I prefer little roads. But now I look forward to using freeways just for the mpg!

Hurry up and do the test Chris!!! Before it's winter. I want to see what you get in your car!

Andree
06-23-2017, 03:27 PM
Just a little bump with the same type of pure highway mpg test being used by Car and Driver:
http://blog.caranddriver.com/the-prince-of-parsimony-squeezing-max-mileage-from-a-chevy-cruze-diesel/

They didn't use the a/c while testing. I definitely used a/c when I did my original test. And Car and Driver did double clicks for filling the fuel tank, I did a single click at the pump.

Southernroadrunner
06-23-2017, 03:40 PM
Just a little bump with the same type of pure highway mpg test being used by Car and Driver:
http://blog.caranddriver.com/the-prince-of-parsimony-squeezing-max-mileage-from-a-chevy-cruze-diesel/

They didn't use the a/c while testing. I definitely used a/c when I did my original test. And Car and Driver did double clicks for filling the fuel tank, I did a single click at the pump.

Welcome back missed ya.

ice445
06-23-2017, 10:18 PM

They didn't use the a/c while testing. I definitely used a/c when I did my original test. And Car and Driver did double clicks for filling the fuel tank, I did a single click at the pump.Whoa, thought you gave up on this place. Welcome back

Andree
06-24-2017, 12:35 AM
Whoa, thought you gave up on this place. Welcome back

Of course not! Don't be ridiculous! I was just looking again last night at Car Gurus for a 2012 500, Pop or Lounge, in a convertible (beige top), preferably the Mocha Latte. I won't give up my car, of course. Just that I have the yearning for putting the top down. Although in the heat wave we're having, I don't want to drive at all. We had 115 on Monday, and it's not cooling off overnight. I'd complain about it being 90 in the living room, but it's still cooler INSIDE than it is OUTSIDE, at 9:30 pm.

I do have a whole house swamp cooler. But it needs a new float. As the float that the guy put in made the water continually overflow, and apparently it found a hole in the roof. So I need the roof fixed before the swamp cooler. Roofers are booked. And I've been stood up by a handyman, a contractor, and an "emergency" business that deals in water damage and mold inspection. I'm going to have to start requiring a $50.00 deposit, so if they don't show up, I'm $50 richer.

MountainClimber
07-11-2017, 08:46 PM
Cool data you are getting. I have a modified turbo sport and it's interesting to see the different variables that effect fuel economy, especially since I have a roof rack. I know once I get above seventy it guzzles fuel. It would be interesting to have larger diameter tires to up the gearing and help out fuel economy potentially. The effects in the fun to drive factor would diminish though.

Klasse Act
07-12-2017, 07:17 PM
On a recent trip back home to Detroit I got 35.5 mpg going in and 38.5 mpg coming back, used the air a little bit coming in and had it on a lot on the way back due to rain and temps rising.

SVAGO 1
07-13-2017, 04:03 PM
I got 7.6 MPG at the Autocross track a few weeks ago...