PDA

View Full Version : low octane

dyslexic
10-08-2014, 01:25 PM
your petrol in America or gas , is it a lower octane than England , our lowest 95 at the pumps ABARTH users use the shell 98 . so what do you run your ABARTH on . it says in ENGLISH manual 95 lowest to use

Andree
10-08-2014, 01:45 PM
your petrol in America or gas , is it a lower octane than England , our lowest 95 at the pumps ABARTH users use the shell 98 . so what do you run your ABARTH on . it says in ENGLISH manual 95 lowest to use

There are easy answers. California has a max of 91 octane, while other states may have 93 octane.

But the real answer is we need to know what we are comparing. Octane ratings are done differently in other places.

"Anti-Knock Index (AKI)[edit]
In most countries, including Australia, New Zealand and all of those in Europe,[citation needed] the "headline" octane rating shown on the pump is the RON, but in Canada, the United States, Brazil, and some other countries, the headline number is the average of the RON and the MON, called the Anti-Knock Index (AKI, and often written on pumps as (R+M)/2). It may also sometimes be called the Posted Octane Number (PON).

Difference between RON, MON, and AKI[edit]
Because of the 8 to 12 octane number difference between RON and MON noted above, the AKI shown in Canada and the United States is 4 to 6 octane numbers lower than the AKI shown elsewhere in the world for the same fuel. This difference between RON and MON is known as the fuel's Sensitivity,[4] and is not typically published for those countries that use the Anti-Knock Index labelling system."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

So, looking at the chart on the wiki page, looks like the various 98 octane RON translate to 93-94 octane AKI (R+M)/2

It's about the same then, for much of the US that has the 93 octane AKI.

dyslexic
10-12-2014, 02:47 PM
mmmmmmm your pumps have the same info has ours , but has I say the lowest id 95 we always understood the you gas was of low octane that's why is a lot cheaper than England . I would like to no how you have fun in Abarth has its build for B ROADS , England is one big race track full of twists and turns, were has American roads are long and boring no chance to exploit the cars proper use . That why we have no big v8 cars most English cars are hot hatch, The CHANGE GEAR INDICATOR is a pain in ENGLAND has we constantly change up and down the box , I went to the computer and put in its program SPORT and now it don't light up . I would have ripped it off the dash if it hadn't , I cannot imagine driving at night with that flashing up in your eyes. ps sorry dyslexic

Andree
10-12-2014, 04:53 PM
There are twists and turns on many roads all across the United States. You'll find many of those roadways in mountainous areas, where the roadway follows the terrain. But there are also vast expanses of somewhat flat land, where it would make no sense to have twists, especially when transporting goods by heavy truck.

Here is an article on the British fuel tax, from March of this year 2014:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/road-and-rail-transport/10668970/British-fuel-tax-highest-in-Europe.html

As always, there is a Wiki article outlining basics, and providing links to additional information as needed on the fuel taxes in several countries:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_tax

Taxation of fuel also varies by state, in the US:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_taxes_in_the_United_States

I would guess the shift light is there for fuel economy. I do not have one in my regular 500, but I also have an automatic, so it shifts on it's own. I would not like the light flashing in my eyes either. Day or night.

You're doing fine with your comments. I do not know how to make it easier for you, but if there is a way, let me know. I do not know if it is easier to read if the words are longer or shorter.

For those out there who are not familiar with dyslexia, this link has a good example of what a dyslexic may see:
http://webaim.org/simulations/dyslexia

Letters are backwards or flipped. Every word can be a jumble.

zyxelenator
10-12-2014, 05:51 PM
93-94 in US =98 in Europe that is number one. Number 2 there are plenty of twisty and challenged roads in US if you want to take those. Great example is Dragon Tail and Devil's Triangle( plus millions of shorter local roads)Roads covered in pot holes do not count as challenged roads, which are plenty in EU. Number 3- can you go and fill up your car with e-85 withing 10 mins of driving distance? e85 equals to 100-113 octane rating for $0.25 cheaper per liter vs 98? I can.

Fiat500USA
10-12-2014, 10:43 PM
America is so vast there is probably every type of road represented. From arctic conditions in Alaska to the numerous deserts, plus a countless mountain ranges with windy roads. Come on over and check it out!

dyslexic
10-14-2014, 05:39 AM
thank for your kind remarks on dyslexia some time I get abuse , they naturally think I am uneducated .Gramma is also effected put spell check helps . Now gas prices you will have to convert to dollars for me , regular is 1-26 a ltr 95 PLUS is 1-30 ltr 100 octane. But we have a secret weapon TESCO THE FOOD store give points to shoppers for cas reductions , so if the wife or anyone does a big shop in TESCO there gas or petrol , lets say its 40 to fill a abarth its 30 with your TESCO POINTS . I cannot work that out can you don't forget American gallon is different to English gallon

dyslexic
10-14-2014, 08:46 AM
The width of your B roads are the same size has our motorway 4 lane system . it must be murder trying to cross a road in AMERICA , Come on our roads get pot holes like anywhere else. HOT hatch car market at one time was all British, AMERICAN America didn't cotton on till the bmw MINI lets be honest. Rally car racing ENGLISH you join the DAKAR STRAGHT LINE driving NAZ CAR straight line . Front wheel drive is a new thing for Americans you must agree, Under steer must be murder for you.

dyslexic
10-14-2014, 08:57 AM
http://www.greatestdrivingroads.com/ some of our b roads look how narrow they are superb

Andree
10-14-2014, 09:03 AM
thank for your kind remarks on dyslexia some time I get abuse , they naturally think I am uneducated .Gramma is also effected put spell check helps . Now gas prices you will have to convert to dollars for me , regular is 1-26 a ltr 95 PLUS is 1-30 ltr 100 octane. But we have a secret weapon TESCO THE FOOD store give points to shoppers for cas reductions , so if the wife or anyone does a big shop in TESCO there gas or petrol , lets say its 40 to fill a abarth its 30 with your TESCO POINTS . I cannot work that out can you don't forget American gallon is different to English gallon

I get gas points from our local grocery store too. We can earn up to $0.20 per gallon discount. The local gas is just under $4.00 per gallon US.

I found and tried out a new to me converter. http://www.convertit.com/Go/ConvertIt/Measurement/Converter.ASP

1.26 British pound sterling on 10-10-2014 /
liter = 7.65392177282439 United States dollar
on 10-10-2014 / gallon

and

1.3 British pound sterling on 10-10-2014 /
liter = 7.89690341640612 United States dollar
on 10-10-2014 / gallon

My last cost per gallon for the 91 octane was 3.849 per gallon (without a discount at a different gas station). You are paying about twice as much for gas/petrol as I do here in my area.

Lower gas prices aren't a good thing. People buy larger cars that burn excessive fuel, live farther away from their jobs:
http://money.cnn.com/2008/05/01/news/international/usgas_price/

And, because of the higher taxation in the UK, you have the National Health Service.

I am disabled. My national health insurance is Medicare, for which I am billed monthly, along with an additional charge and late fee for prescription benefits. These total around a couple hundred dollars per month, whether I visit the hospital or not. I would much rather pay a price per gallon that you are paying, as I don't drive much and gas up every month or two.

Low gas prices do no one any favors. The US would fall apart if the gas prices increased to the UK price. Huge numbers of people would not be able to commute to their jobs. It would simply be too expensive. The housing is already problematic, and in some areas, regular workers are priced out of the area in which they work. Making it difficult for even the police, fire, hospital emergency service personnel to live in the area. And by golly, these are the people we want to be fresh and lively and perky, not worn out from a commute.

Don't forget, you have a wide selection of gas saving engines that we do not get in the US. We have no diesel Fiats! We don't have the zippy twin air that gets the big gas mpg.

Not to worry about dyslexia. I'm disabled. I have plenty of physical problems and pains. Plus I have a unique way of looking at the world that borders Asperger's/autism. I don't quite get the hang of many social interactions. It's become worse since becoming physically disabled since I don't get out much, have no friends, do no social things.

I try to socialize a bit here, and 99.9% of the time, the folks here are friendly, helpful, patient. Even when I ask far too many questions, or talk too much. I'm curious and really do want to learn, and know more. Plus I get lonely and don't have people in daily life to talk to. I'm also very honest. haha

So if any place is a good place for you to chat, THIS is the place. You won't find a better bunch of people. And there is so much information available!

Andree
10-14-2014, 09:10 AM
http://www.greatestdrivingroads.com/ some of our b roads look how narrow they are superb

That first image, it looks like the road narrows to one lane on the right side, without warning! AHHHHHH!!! scary

We do indeed have lots of roads like the others, all over the US. I've never been on this one, but it's nearish:
https://www.google.com/maps/@37.3972188,-122.2600014,2532m/data=!3m1!1e3

Can you see Google maps where you are? You should see an overhead shot of highway 84, with some turns and twists.

If you move the map around, you'll find plenty of twisting roads in that area that follow the terrain.

dyslexic
10-14-2014, 10:20 AM
fiat 500 have the new diesel its about 98 bhp I had a Nissan Micra 86bhp diesels and modded it, I also fitted a plug in power box chip that took it to 115 -120BHP , you can do loads with diesel engines,

dyslexic
10-14-2014, 12:51 PM
93-94 in US =98 in Europe that is number one. Number 2 there are plenty of twisty and challenged roads in US if you want to take those. Great example is Dragon Tail and Devil's Triangle( plus millions of shorter local roads)Roads covered in pot holes do not count as challenged roads, which are plenty in EU. Number 3- can you go and fill up your car with e-85 withing 10 mins of driving distance? e85 equals to 100-113 octane rating for $0.25 cheaper per liter vs 98? I can.

take a look at my vid of English roads, not a pothole in sight

dyslexic
10-14-2014, 01:04 PM
ZYXELENATOR, why a strut brace on a car so small no twist front end , even minus if lowered , I had 1 on a SUBARU has the car was well wide I could hear the creak in the windscreen at heavy cornering/

snakebite4767
10-15-2014, 12:21 PM
I have decided to use the highest octane available in my area (91). The compression ratio on this engine (1.4 L 500 POP) is considerably higher than many of today's cars, and the increase in price for such a small amount used is really not very much.

Snakebite