PDA

View Full Version : Sensitive Brakes

gzwicker
10-07-2014, 11:11 PM
We have a trekking with 8,000 miles and since we have had it the brakes are very sensitive. It is hard to make a smooth easy stop especially if you have to brake quickly. They seem to be over boosted and without seatbelts you could easily put someone through the windshield. Anyone else have this problem?

Fiat500USA
10-08-2014, 01:10 AM
Probably something you'll get used to. Coming from a mountainous country, Italian cars are known for their powerful brakes. It can be a little bit of a learning curve if you are used to something like a traditional American car. The first time I drove the NAFTA 500, Fiat had a Yaris available to drive and compare. After spending all day in various 500s with their excellent brakes, I jumped into a Yaris. Well, the first time I came to a stop sign the brakes were so weak I nearly blew right through it! When I got back, the engineers asked me what I thought of the Yaris. I said I thought it was grim. They got a chuckle out of that.

ophidia31
10-08-2014, 12:20 PM
Noticed this on the trekking loaner I got from the dealer. Its basically a new car with ~2k mi. When I was leaving the parking lot I just tapped the brakes and was like "Jesus H... These things are sensitive!" Like you said, it gave me a good lurch in the seat. My abarth is no where near that sensitive. Even when new.

jason3d
10-09-2014, 03:53 AM
I thought the same thing the first time I drove the car. I'm totally used to them now a month later and actually think the brakes are one of the things that make the car super fun to drive. Sometimes feels like stopping a motorcycle.

doverosx
10-09-2014, 08:56 AM
I thought the same thing the first time I drove the car. I'm totally used to them now a month later and actually think the brakes are one of the things that make the car super fun to drive. Sometimes feels like stopping a motorcycle.

Sensitive brakes will make you a better driver. Over time, you will develop greater sensitivity in your foot and you'll be modulating the brakes in and out of ABS during evasive maneuvers.

jason3d
10-09-2014, 10:54 AM
Agree. When I get in other cars now I realize how squishy and vague the pedal is in a lot of cars.

samuelrj
02-19-2018, 12:09 AM
Got a used 500e and yes the brakes are very sensitive, but not just steep. I'd be fine if the brakes gradually moved a lot while you moved your foot, but the 500e is more like it has 2 settings (brake and SUPER brake) that abruptly switch. If the braking power steeply ramped from one to the other, it would be fine, but it's literally only on or off.

Either the ECU table has 2 columns or there's a detectable change when regenerative braking kicks on or off. Either way I hope (but am doubtful) that there's some way to fix this because it's not a "You'll get used to it" because "getting used to it" would require just not ever pressing the brake that much. It's more like lazy engineering.

If anyone has the ECU info, or has more info on when the regenerative braking turns on, or just knows how to fix this, please let me know!! Thanks!

Robert Nixon
02-19-2018, 07:36 PM
welcome to the forum, I haven't driven a Trekking so can't comment on that. Maybe they're just stronger brakes than you are used to, but regardless, might be worth having your dealer or shop take it for a test drive and see what they think.

Claetuss
03-24-2018, 10:20 AM
Same here. For me it seems like the transition from electric brakes to friction is the problem, and it seems to occur around 2-3 mph. Have you found anything out since you posted?