PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofer Guidance

ChrisPDX
10-07-2014, 03:34 PM
I'm hoping to hear from others that have personally installed a subwoofer in their 500e. So far I keep running into dead ends on this. The only thread I could find out there is where one owner ended up taking it to a shop that did all the work. All other threads are not 500e specific which is a problem since the firewall appears to be a bit different. I'm hoping somebody can give me guidance in the following tasks:

1. Running a power line from the 12v battery under the hood to the interior or trunk. Either through the firewall or under the car and up through the floor. No holes can be drilled for this. I have a leased car and need to be able to pull this out once the lease is up without leaving any holes.
2. Speaker wiring. I need to tap into one of the speakers for a signal. I originally planned to tap into a rear speaker but noticed I would have to tear out most of the rear interior to get to them. There is a small access panel under them and I removed the passenger side but still couldn't access the wiring with my big hands. Can the speaker wire be accessed from one of these access holes, unplugged from the speaker, tapped and then plugged back in?

The rest I can handle such as the switched 12v signal and actual subwoofer installation. It's just these two parts that I'm hung up on.

Greg Elmassian
10-08-2014, 10:41 AM
Have you considered trying to fit the "beats" subwoofer, or at least buy the enclosure? I don't know much about this, except that option is available in other models.

Greg

ChrisPDX
10-08-2014, 11:17 AM
Unfortunately you can't just buy the enclosure and sub and plug it in. The Beats system is a whole different setup within the car's wiring (which is why it's a factory install only, not an aftermarket swap). Besides, I can handle a sub enclosure and amp mounting. I'm more concerned about the specifics of how to run the new wiring within the car.

darkstarchuck
10-09-2014, 08:49 AM
Check out the Google+ group, someone there did an upgrade which has many pictures, and included a sub.

jason3d
10-09-2014, 10:56 AM
In for answers too. I am thinking about getting a small under seat style sub to put on the floor behind driver seat to keep as much trunk space free as possible.