PDA

View Full Version : Dunlop Direza vs ... ?

opiateESP
10-05-2014, 05:39 PM
So I swapped my Sport Turbo wheels for 17" Abarth hyper black wheels (which I like) but it means I need to replace the Pirellis. I can squawk these things heavily doing a 3rd gear drop from 70 mph (probably from faster than that as well) so you can imagine what a waste 1st gear is. One of our local guys is running direzza a and raves about them. I sat in his car during an Auto-X today and they were very impressive. Are there any other tires that anyone would recommend over these?

Edit: Dunlop Direzza ZII is the one I'm looking at.

wwilliam
10-05-2014, 07:33 PM
So I swapped my Sport Turbo wheels for 17" Abarth hyper black wheels (which I like) but it means I need to replace the Pirellis. I can squawk these things heavily doing a 3rd gear drop from 70 mph (probably from faster than that as well) so you can imagine what a waste 1st gear is. One of our local guys is running direzza a and raves about them. I sat in his car during an Auto-X today and they were very impressive. Are there any other tires that anyone would recommend over these?

Edit: Dunlop Direzza ZII is the one I'm looking at.

In terms of street legal summer tires, nothing compares with the ZIIs for dry grip. My friend runs them on Ultraleggeras in 285/30R18 on his highly modded STi, lets just say you get tossed around.

BigDaddySRT
10-05-2014, 08:17 PM
Yokohama AD08R

jguerdat
10-06-2014, 07:44 AM
Be aware that the ZII is being superceded by the ZII Star Spec. Doesn't mean much for many people but if you're into competition, there may be small but significant differences.

doverosx
10-06-2014, 08:05 AM
Be aware that the ZII is being superceded by the ZII Star Spec. Doesn't mean much for many people but if you're into competition, there may be small but significant differences.

For the price, it is hard to beat ZIIs. ZII SS's are out now on tire rack but they lack a particular video review from the tire giant as well and information about them is low. Once you're in the extreme performance tire category, you're gold and it's a matter of personal taste.

If you want to give up some wet grip while saving about $100 total, you can pick up more dry grip and go with RS-3s. You will hear how RS-3s suck in the rain. They don't. I was in a miata on Calabogie Motorsport Park in the wet, hitting puddles at 100mph and cornering like a boss with tons of predictable sliding. I immediately put the RS-3s back onto my shopping list.

The RE-11s will give up dry grip to the RS-3s and ZIIs and will give up nominal wet grip; however have better hydroplanning than the ZIIs or RS-3s. The RE-11 is likely the better daily with good compromises for the street like noise and ride quality/wear.

In the other spectrum you have the RT-615Ks and Toyo R1Rs; these are soft tires that like the temperature right. R1Rs operate very well in the colder temperatures, RT615Ks enjoy a higher temperature range but still have a narrow band of goodness. Both have reviewers saying that they are down right scary in the rain; even comparing to all-season eco tires from China.

opiateESP
10-06-2014, 04:20 PM
For the price, it is hard to beat ZIIs. ZII SS's are out now on tire rack but they lack a particular video review from the tire giant as well and information about them is low. Once you're in the extreme performance tire category, you're gold and it's a matter of personal taste.

If you want to give up some wet grip while saving about $100 total, you can pick up more dry grip and go with RS-3s. You will hear how RS-3s suck in the rain. They don't. I was in a miata on Calabogie Motorsport Park in the wet, hitting puddles at 100mph and cornering like a boss with tons of predictable sliding. I immediately put the RS-3s back onto my shopping list.

The RE-11s will give up dry grip to the RS-3s and ZIIs and will give up nominal wet grip; however have better hydroplanning than the ZIIs or RS-3s. The RE-11 is likely the better daily with good compromises for the street like noise and ride quality/wear.

In the other spectrum you have the RT-615Ks and Toyo R1Rs; these are soft tires that like the temperature right. R1Rs operate very well in the colder temperatures, RT615Ks enjoy a higher temperature range but still have a narrow band of goodness. Both have reviewers saying that they are down right scary in the rain; even comparing to all-season eco tires from China.

Interesting. I'll look into those. Wet grip is important here in Vancouver. It rains a lot here but if the tire is a good wet dry performer, then it's usable most of the year (if you don't venture to the higher altitudes). The Dunlop ZIIs have a temp variable that starts at 3 degrees celsius which means I can run them for 95% of the year. The other 5% I drive the other car. The wet is the only reason I had to eliminate the R1R's. I'll have to look at the RS-3's.

opiateESP
10-06-2014, 04:21 PM

I'll wait for some reviews to see what the differences are like. Next year I'm planing on starting to Auto X so that will be a factor.

nilfinite
10-06-2014, 05:03 PM
For the 17" wheel, there aren't very many options. The RS-3 isn't made in 215-40-17 nor the RE-11.

I think your options are Direzza ZII Star Spec, Yokohama AD08R or the Federal 595 RS-R.

The ZIIs were well-known to be good for DD and AX duty. I'm sure the Star Specs will be the same. I have a 2 Star Spec tires that I'm testing for AX (using the old ZIIs in the rear). In general, I've noticed a good amount of road noise when they are new vs the ZII. It goes away over time. I've also noticed a lot of wear after 2 AX events, I'll blame it on the rough asphalt during those two events for now.