PDA

View Full Version : Europe: Fiat needs more than 500 (analysis)

Andree
10-05-2014, 02:07 PM
Fiat needs more than the 500 to revive core brand Oct 5, 2014

FCA said during its strategy announcement it recognized the need to purify the DNA of the Fiat brand, and that it would develop products that are either "functional" or "aspirational."

It also said it would leverage the 500 family to expand in the upper segment of the mainstream market.

"That entire brand has lots of magic sprinkled on their product," said Portia's Nakagawa, referring to the 500ís past successes and the new Panda, which has been selling well. "But they also need to make some hard choices about which models fit the idea of functional or aspirational, and which need to go."

http://europe.autonews.com/article/20141005/ANE/141009855/-fiat-needs-more-than-the-500-to-revive-core-brand

I find some of the reflection to be funny, as so many here in the US would love to have a shot at vehicles like the Panda as it is.

JimmyTestarossa
10-05-2014, 02:22 PM
Fiat needs more than the 500 to revive core brand Oct 5, 2014

FCA said during its strategy announcement it recognized the need to purify the DNA of the Fiat brand, and that it would develop products that are either "functional" or "aspirational."

It also said it would leverage the 500 family to expand in the upper segment of the mainstream market.

"That entire brand has lots of magic sprinkled on their product," said Portia's Nakagawa, referring to the 500’s past successes and the new Panda, which has been selling well. "But they also need to make some hard choices about which models fit the idea of functional or aspirational, and which need to go."

http://europe.autonews.com/article/20141005/ANE/141009855/-fiat-needs-more-than-the-500-to-revive-core-brand

I find some of the reflection to be funny, as so many here in the US would love to have a shot at vehicles like the Panda as it is.

I agree, Fiat really needs to expand the product line here in the US. The X is a step in the right direction and if the Miata thing gets badged as an Abarth that would make them more visible but they need a volume seller. I'm thinking sedan that is competitively priced would be good?

I'm still trying to figure out their strategy for the entire Fiat catalog. Where will Alfa fit? Maserati? In the old days, you went from a Fiat, to a Lancia or Alfa, then, if you were very lucky, to a Maserati and then a Ferrari. The Alfa 8C was as much or more than a Ferrari and the 4C is getting near Maserati money.

zyxelenator
10-05-2014, 02:46 PM
Alfa baged miata definatelly will need fiat branded turbocharged engine, not underpowered 2 liter skyactive crap from mazda 3. If it will get that it will be next on my fun car to buy list

Andree
10-05-2014, 05:18 PM
I agree, Fiat really needs to expand the product line here in the US. The X is a step in the right direction and if the Miata thing gets badged as an Abarth that would make them more visible but they need a volume seller. I'm thinking sedan that is competitively priced would be good?

I'm still trying to figure out their strategy for the entire Fiat catalog. Where will Alfa fit? Maserati? In the old days, you went from a Fiat, to a Lancia or Alfa, then, if you were very lucky, to a Maserati and then a Ferrari. The Alfa 8C was as much or more than a Ferrari and the 4C is getting near Maserati money.

Good points. But I'm not so sure the sedan in the Fiat line is an answer. Have to take a look at the entire catalog now, which includes all the Chrysler goodies. Sedans will be over in the Chrysler and Dodge sections. As Alfa grows in the states, we may get a sedan from them too. But I don't see Fiat doing a sedan.

The Fiat Professional line has slowly been trickling in under the Ram badge. The ProMaster and the ProMaster City are Fiats.

Fiat has been about small, thus far. Excellent use of space. This is contrary to the history of the US love for BIG cars. Which may always put Fiat at a disadvantage. And I don't want or expect Fiat to suddenly decide to start making big Taurus wagon sized family haulers. I'm sure they could do a good job of it, but it's not really the Fiat thing, is it? And it wouldn't make sense on a global scale, as the rest of the world doesn't have the love affair with big big big.

Fiat's disadvantage now becomes their advantage later. Remember we'll have tightening rules on overall mpg for manufacturers. They're not meeting the goals right now, but they can, and will. And there won't be a consumer backlash as the Fiat vehicles won't suddenly shrink and become less powerful to meet these new requirements. The vehicles are already small, most get pretty good gas mileage, have a range of power plants for the trim levels.

We still don't know if or where that convertible might go. I'm hoping it goes to Fiat. As a breakaway from the rounded shapes, and as part of the "fun" line of cars Fiat has. Fiat has spiders in their background, they should add one to their current lineup.

Then it gives that smooth progression from brand to brand, that you mentioned. Sports car to sports car. Fiat - Alfa - Maserati - Ferrari.

The little convertible will fit in with Fiat. And can be a go-to for the Fiat/Alfa dealers when the more expensive Alfa isn't an option. Likewise, the 4C becomes the go-to at the Alfa/Maserati dealerships when the Maserati models are too expensive. Bridging...between and across models. And that's part of the "aspirational" goal. It gives everyone something to yearn for. To set their sights on.

JimmyTestarossa
10-06-2014, 01:46 PM
I'm not sure the small thing will totally work in Fiat's favor (my crystal ball is broke) but it could. I pray they don't do what they have done with Lancia and start selling re-badged Chryslers as Fiats. They're already selling reworked Alfas as Dodges so nothing is out of the realm of possibility.

Some friends in the UK sing the praises of the Panda but I'm not sure that is the best car for the US. The X may be a good test to gauge consumer interest and go from there. I'm curious what the second Alfa in the US will be. If not a Spider, than maybe a hatch or sedan? I gotta think it would be something to compete with BMW 3-series?

To the people above bad mouthing Mazdas, that 2.0L skyactive motor isn't a powerhouse but in real-world use it gets over 40mpg on the freeway and has a sweet chassis for a compact car. (The latest 3 has the 2.5L with a manual which is VERY tempting.) It was very high on my list and I probably would have jumped on it if not for the fact the local Fiat dealer gave me a great deal on my Abarth.

Speaking of skyactive, when will Fiat go to DI? They are lagging a bit on this.