PDA

View Full Version : I've stalled this car several times!!!!!!!

moosestang
09-29-2014, 10:01 AM
Is it just me or is this car easier to stall than any other manual transmission car ever made? I stalled it at a light after having it a week and just today in the Mcdonalds drive threw. I'm used to feeling the clutch engage and pulling the car forward before ever needing to apply gas, but this thing needs gas before letting the clutch engage at all. Maybe it's the fact that I drive another car with a very heavy racing clutch and swapping between the two is messing me up, but there is very little feel to this clutch. It's a 2014 500 t.

boostaddict
09-29-2014, 10:33 AM
nah I can launch this car pretty good just have to get the feel for it. not sure if the T has a different clutch than a Abarth. Is this with the sport button on? I dont drive with it off.

Fiat500USA
09-29-2014, 10:48 AM
... Maybe it's the fact that I drive another car with a very heavy racing clutch and swapping between the two is messing me up, but there is very little feel to this clutch.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Going from a car with a heavy clutch to a light one is going be a learning curve to get used to the feel. I had a similar issue when I first drove my Audi 90 until I got used to the light clutch that grabbed high. I have a GTV6 with a dual disc clutch and that can be annoying to drive in traffic - grabs high, releases low. A lot of Alfa guys will remember that Road&Track couldn't take driving that in heavy traffic! LOL. I find the clutch on the Fiat easy and I enjoy using it. You'll get used to it the more you drive it but it will probably take some seat time coming from a car with a stiff racing clutch.

moosestang
09-29-2014, 10:59 AM
nah I can launch this car pretty good just have to get the feel for it. not sure if the T has a different clutch than a Abarth. Is this with the sport button on? I dont drive with it off.

I can launch it just fine, it's the times when I'm not trying to launch that I end up stalling it. I believe the abarth and T have the same clutch. I think the difference is you can hear when you are giving it gas in the abarth and you can't really hear the exhaust on the T unless it's at WOT. I think the throttle lag is part of the issue. My other car has electronic throttle, but it's tuned, so it's a lot more sensitive.

MemoryFoam
09-29-2014, 11:14 AM
I have the same problem switching between my JEEP and the Abarth. Not only do the clutches have completely different release points and pedal pressures, the pedals are offset differently from the seating position. Using sport mode and ESC partial off helps a lot.

zyxelenator
09-29-2014, 11:48 AM
I stalled mine maybe only several times since i got it. It is easier for me to stall my heavy truck with heavy clutch with small 4 banger than my Fiat.

moosestang
09-29-2014, 02:09 PM
I have the same problem switching between my JEEP and the Abarth. Not only do the clutches have completely different release points and pedal pressures, the pedals are offset differently from the seating position. Using sport mode and ESC partial off helps a lot.

Don't get me started on the pedal position. the clutch and brake pedal are too close together and I don't really have big feet. I've managed to press the clutch and brake a couple of times, scary.

I stalled mine maybe only several times since i got it. It is easier for me to stall my heavy truck with heavy clutch with small 4 banger than my Fiat.

I would expect that with a heavy 4cyl truck. You'd think this little car would pull forward at idle, maybe it's designed to kill it for safety reasons if it doesn't see any throttle input.

Andree
09-29-2014, 03:09 PM
I would expect that with a heavy 4cyl truck. You'd think this little car would pull forward at idle, maybe it's designed to kill it for safety reasons if it doesn't see any throttle input.

It has hill hold. The car shouldn't roll at all once you've come to a stop, without you giving it gas in gear.

Instructions from the manual from my 500 model from the Owner's Manual "Understanding your instrument panel" section, set in the EVIC area:

Hill Start Assist
This function is used when starting a vehicle from a stop on a hill. Hill Start Assist maintains the same level of brake pressure the driver applied for a short period of time after the foot has been removed from the brake pedal.
Proceed as follows to switch this function on or off:
1. Briefly press the SET ESC button. “On” or “Off” will flash on the display (according to previous setting).
2. Press the UP  or DOWN  button for setting.
3. Briefly press the SET ESC button to go back to the menu screen, or press and hold the button (approxi- mately one second) to go back to the main screen without storing the settings.

That may be what you're having problems with, but you can easily override it, and have the car roll forward (or backward) according to gravity when your foot is off the brake.

Fiat500USA
09-29-2014, 04:45 PM
One reason for the engine to stall if the clutch is released quickly is the engine only has so much torque at idle. It is a 1.4L after all and the turbo is not doing anything at idle. Larger engines with more torque at idle can maybe handle more abrupt engagement, but even then there is a limit.

JimmyTestarossa
09-29-2014, 05:11 PM
I'm with Andree on the Hill Holder feature since that caused me to stall my car about 4 or 5 times when I first bought it. My release was faster than the hill-holder could let go. I debated between turning off the Hill Holder and seeing if I could live with it as is. I left it on and my driving has adapted so i'm good now.

No other cars to mix me up at present.

moosestang
10-01-2014, 06:02 PM
It has hill hold. The car shouldn't roll at all once you've come to a stop, without you giving it gas in gear.

Instructions from the manual from my 500 model from the Owner's Manual "Understanding your instrument panel" section, set in the EVIC area:

Hill Start Assist
This function is used when starting a vehicle from a stop on a hill. Hill Start Assist maintains the same level of brake pressure the driver applied for a short period of time after the foot has been removed from the brake pedal.
Proceed as follows to switch this function on or off:
1. Briefly press the SET ESC button. “On” or “Off” will flash on the display (according to previous setting).
2. Press the UP  or DOWN  button for setting.
3. Briefly press the SET ESC button to go back to the menu screen, or press and hold the button (approxi- mately one second) to go back to the main screen without storing the settings.

That may be what you're having problems with, but you can easily override it, and have the car roll forward (or backward) according to gravity when your foot is off the brake.

Thanks! This never even occured to me. I figured the engine wasn't making much power at idle or it has a really light flywheel, so not much inertia.

It was on, I turned it off. I test it out tomorrow.

shadowshaggy
10-01-2014, 06:17 PM
One reason for the engine to stall if the clutch is released quickly is the engine only has so much torque at idle. It is a 1.4L after all and the turbo is not doing anything at idle. Larger engines with more torque at idle can maybe handle more abrupt engagement, but even then there is a limit.

^This and kill the stupid hill start assist......I hate that on MT cars

klward3
10-01-2014, 06:30 PM
I can launch it just fine, it's the times when I'm not trying to launch that I end up stalling it. I believe the abarth and T have the same clutch. I think the difference is you can hear when you are giving it gas in the abarth and you can't really hear the exhaust on the T unless it's at WOT. I think the throttle lag is part of the issue. My other car has electronic throttle, but it's tuned, so it's a lot more sensitive.

I think the Abarth is a lot harder to launch when you are trying to launch slow due to the throttle lag. Sport mode fixes the problem for me, but since I drive out of sport most of the time (20 mph university wide speed limit) I picked up a sprintbooster and the problem is completely gone.

Nightshift
10-01-2014, 07:36 PM
Two of my Acura Legends are 6-speeds with the dual disc clutch.
The Legend TYPEII 3.2's are full of low end torque, it doesn't take much to get one rolling.
I've gotten a custom to switching back and forth between the Legends and the Fiat but at first I stalled the Fiat a few times.
The hardest thing when switching from Legend to Fiat is going for the non-existent 6th gear.
70 mph in the Legend is 1800 rpm, the Fiat 3K+(?)...

WW-

undfeatable
10-02-2014, 06:28 AM
I used to have issues stalling my darts 1.4T also. My main issue turned out to be the throttle lag that couldn't allow me to recover from the stutter by "giving it some more beans". Once I adjusted my WasteGate to proper preload, the throttle is playful and when I get the stutters a, just press the throttle a little harder and everything gets fixed.... And I'm in a car weighing 1k more than you! (And yes, we have feather clutches as well)

Here's my post on the adjustment, try it and see if it helps
http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?18044-How-to-adjust-the-1-4l-Abarth-WasteGate

moosestang
10-02-2014, 12:29 PM
I used to have issues stalling my darts 1.4T also. My main issue turned out to be the throttle lag that couldn't allow me to recover from the stutter by "giving it some more beans". Once I adjusted my WasteGate to proper preload, the throttle is playful and when I get the stutters a, just press the throttle a little harder and everything gets fixed.... And I'm in a car weighing 1k more than you! (And yes, we have feather clutches as well)

Here's my post on the adjustment, try it and see if it helps
http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?18044-How-to-adjust-the-1-4l-Abarth-WasteGate

I just check this and mine was 8.5 turns. That's how many turns out it took to get the arm to line back up with the hole. I do have a 2014, so maybe that is what they are setting them at now.

moosestang
10-04-2014, 03:57 PM
Hill assist was my problem. I've never had a car with that feature. If I need hill assist, I'll use the emergency brake.

Andree
10-04-2014, 04:32 PM
Hill assist was my problem. I've never had a car with that feature. If I need hill assist, I'll use the emergency brake.

Well, at least you now know what it was caused by and that your driving skills are still intact! haha!

I really like the hill hold, even with the automatic. San Francisco isn't known for it's flat lands. I love not having to worry about rolling backwards or forwards into something or someone.

davesc
05-15-2017, 03:30 PM
Stalled my manual Abarth today at the end of the automatic carwash where you are supposed to drive off when the green light comes off. The crazy thing is I was not sure if it was stalled or not. For one it's very loud inside the carwash with the blower going on to dry off the car, so I could not hear if engine was running or not. Also I had it in first gear and saw the rpm meter going up when pressing the gaspedal but car would not move. Started to panic and thought maybe the transmission is blown or something. Car behind me coming closer and closer. Put on the horn and after what seemed a long time a carwash attendant showed up and turned the carwash off and said maybe I should try to restart the car which I did and everything was fine then and I could drive off. My question is is it possible to be in gear ( I was in sport mode ) and gear not engaging? I could swear I saw the rpm meter going up, but then again it could be my imagination. Very embarrassing the whole thing. P.S. I have been driving stick shift for over 40 years.

happyappy
05-15-2017, 04:52 PM
I'm with Andree on the Hill Holder feature since that caused me to stall my car about 4 or 5 times when I first bought it. My release was faster than the hill-holder could let go. I debated between turning off the Hill Holder and seeing if I could live with it as is. I left it on and my driving has adapted so i'm good now.

No other cars to mix me up at present.

This was the problem for me. I've driven a stick for over 30 years and found myself stalling the abarth from time to time. Finally figured out the hill assist feature was causing me to stall. I turned the feature off and no more problems!