PDA

View Full Version : This is what the stock Pirelli tire look like after 5000 hard miles

shadyabarth
09-25-2014, 05:22 PM
Here is the synopsis:

Stock 17" Pirelli tires that have been on the front for the entire time. My car is a 2013 Abarth with 5xxx miles on it now and have been driven HARD since day one with no tire rotation..I have a set of new tires waiting to be installed..Enjoy!

cy-clone33
09-25-2014, 08:17 PM
Those had to be some bad a$$ miles, those are toast

boxerbay
09-25-2014, 09:05 PM
What tires you going with?

Purgatory
09-25-2014, 10:03 PM
What did you do to make those tires look like that with only 5k miles? Seriously. I have 5,200 on the same size and brand tires (my factory originals), and I drive the car fast a lot of the time (but not dogging the car), and all 4 tires virtually look like new. Can't visually tell much if any difference between the front or rear tires at this point.

Have you had your car on a race track perhaps, or auto crossing with it?

Abarth619
09-25-2014, 10:15 PM
Damn, someone's been hitting the track hard.

James Turner
09-25-2014, 10:38 PM
I guess I'm doing good...5700 miles and I still can't see any wear except on side from autocross.

gtntahg
09-25-2014, 10:40 PM
Yep, about the same kind of mileage and wear you'd get out of a rear tire on a sport bike. Track day much?

Purgatory
09-25-2014, 10:52 PM
Yep, about the same kind of mileage and wear you'd get out of a rear tire on a sport bike. Track day much?

good point, when I had my triumph sprint st, I would be lucky to get 2k out of a rear tire, but at 8k, when I sold the bike, the front tire still looked as new

V8EspritGuy
09-25-2014, 10:53 PM
I replaced my fronts at 6,400 miles.. I have 9,700 now and the fronts and rears are about equal now :)

Tweak
09-25-2014, 10:58 PM
I never tried to do burnouts and definitely don't dump the clutch and roast my tires.With my stock Pirelli's and one rotation I made it to 12K. It did look better than yours but they certainly didn't last as long as I would have originally thought. I'm now at 23K and I have even tire wear and they're (Kumho) holding up better but still I am hard on them for not tracking them.

jason3d
09-25-2014, 11:46 PM
Impressive for 5k! I just got the same pirellis.

Tweak, did you have any track days on yours? Is 10-15k what I should expect? I thought most summer tires are good for 20k give or take.

bomba
09-26-2014, 06:12 AM
I'm a big fan of the Falken Azenis line. I haven't checked to see if they fit the Abarth, but I'm assuming they do.

jimmybuckets
09-26-2014, 06:33 AM
I don't dump the clutch but there is quite a but of flooring it from a roll. My tires were shot at about 3k miles ago and I have 15k on the car now. That includes 2 1500 mile road trips in the first 12k.

shadyabarth
09-26-2014, 07:42 AM
Truthfully those tires have never seen even one burnout..This is from lack of rotation, driving it at WOT every day in NYC, rain or shine, and one track event at Limerock.. I am going with the BFGoodrich GForce TA KDW 2's size 215/40R17..

Klasse Act
09-26-2014, 08:42 AM
At about 6k I had the alignment done under the 12 mo/12K warrenty and it was only off a little but the inside section of the tires were light, dark, light, dark making me think the alignment was off but that wasn't the case, its just these tires are junk. My buddy who's a service advisor for Chrysler has a 12' Abarth and had the very same issue as me. Once these tires are toast, I will not be replacing them with Pirelli's for sure!

doverosx
09-26-2014, 10:35 AM
At about 6k I had the alignment done under the 12 mo/12K warrenty and it was only off a little but the inside section of the tires were light, dark, light, dark making me think the alignment was off but that wasn't the case, its just these tires are junk. My buddy who's a service advisor for Chrysler has a 12' Abarth and had the very same issue as me. Once these tires are toast, I will not be replacing them with Pirelli's for sure!

I don't think these are junk at all. Tires are wear items so if you drive them near their limits, they will wear out quickly. Exactly like brakes. I did some impromptu advanced driving lessons with my friend in his GF's car and I was amazed at how telepathic the handling was with those tires. They really let you ramp up the limit-ladder and are very, very progressive. Having said all that, I'm likely to be getting RS-3s as my autox/dd tires lol.

Dwaynek
09-26-2014, 10:53 AM
The pirellis are crap now have put on pilot super sports excellent much smoother ride and no wandering of the steering wheel.

Tweak
09-26-2014, 11:14 AM
Impressive for 5k! I just got the same pirellis.

Tweak, did you have any track days on yours? Is 10-15k what I should expect? I thought most summer tires are good for 20k give or take.

I do not slow down when turning and I take off hard enough to break traction through a few gears at times but no track time (unless you count the Tail of the Dragon and Devil's Triangle). I think most are getting around 10-15K with aggressive street driving. The Kumho I went with are Ultra High Performance All Season and cost around $85 each so pretty good deal for a decent tire.

Klasse Act
09-26-2014, 11:44 AM
I don't think these are junk at all. Tires are wear items so if you drive them near their limits, they will wear out quickly. Exactly like brakes. I did some impromptu advanced driving lessons with my friend in his GF's car and I was amazed at how telepathic the handling was with those tires. They really let you ramp up the limit-ladder and are very, very progressive. Having said all that, I'm likely to be getting RS-3s as my autox/dd tires lol.

When I say junk I mean from the standpoint of the inner shoulder wearing like that, the grip is spot on. I drive 26 miles round trip to and from work, mostly freeway and I don't dump the clutch or brake hard for no good reason, I do take on ramps quickly but no tire squealing at all, just "normal" driving, that's all and IMO these tires shouldn't be wearing like that, especially since the alignment wasn't even that far off according to Fiat's specs. I was at 6/32nds @10K and for a 220 treadwear tire that's pretty good, just don't like that uneven wear, I'm even ok with the sound as they're perf tires with miles on them, goes with the territory IMO.

Not sure what I'm going to replace them with, focusing in on my winter set-up right now but they will be less than 6/32nds after my trip down to the Dragon in 13 days, 650 miles there, then days of driving those roads and then 650 miles back, should be near 4/32nds afterwards, LOL!

Abnormalradio13
09-26-2014, 12:06 PM
I'm a big fan of the Falken Azenis line. I haven't checked to see if they fit the Abarth, but I'm assuming they do.

They do. After 13k miles on those horrible pirelli tires, my tires were slicks. i upgraded to the azenis rt615 dot tires215/40/17 and these are 100 times better

gtntahg
09-26-2014, 11:06 PM
I don't know. I like the Pirellis. When I had to replace my OEM set, I went back with the P-Zero Neros. I drive my Abarth aggressively - no burnouts - but plenty of quick corners in low gear with a quick blast off the apex WOT. I think the tire sticks really well. I have my tires rotated every four thousand miles, though, so that prolonged their life. But by the time the tires were toast, they were essentially slicks :glee:

Jono
09-27-2014, 04:29 PM
Here is the synopsis:

Stock 17" Pirelli tires that have been on the front for the entire time. My car is a 2013 Abarth with 5xxx miles on it now and have been driven HARD since day one with no tire rotation..I have a set of new tires waiting to be installed..Enjoy!

Here is my embarrassing admission, my tires after 14500 miles, sadly car is usually used for LA commuting

shadyabarth
09-27-2014, 09:45 PM
Here is my embarrassing admission, my tires after 14500 miles, sadly car is usually used for LA commuting

Wow..You and I seem to be on the 2 extreme ends of the tire spectrum!

Jono
09-28-2014, 12:18 AM
Yes that's true!

moosestang
09-28-2014, 07:34 PM

The alignment specs for the rear of these cars is so wide that it can be within spec and still ruin your tires in a few thousand miles. I don't know how anyone can wear out a summer tire, that's only been on the front, in 5k miles with a 2500lb car that makes 160hp. I have yokohama s. drives, tread wear of 300, on a mustang making over 400hp/400tq to the wheels and they are just now done at 20k miles. I spin them in 3rd gear at 80mph and they get spun up every time I drive it. Rotated them maybe 3 times. Pirelli doesn't make bad tires imo. The stock pirellis have a 220 tread wear, which is soft, but i'd still expect better than 5k miles on a car like this. I'd get my alignment checked by someone other than the dealer.

doverosx
09-29-2014, 07:53 AM
The alignment specs for the rear of these cars is so wide that it can be within spec and still ruin your tires in a few thousand miles. I don't know how anyone can wear out a summer tire, that's only been on the front, in 5k miles with a 2500lb car that makes 160hp. I have yokohama s. drives, tread wear of 300, on a mustang making over 400hp/400tq to the wheels and they are just now done at 20k miles. I spin them in 3rd gear at 80mph and they get spun up every time I drive it. Rotated them maybe 3 times. Pirelli doesn't make bad tires imo. The stock pirellis have a 220 tread wear, which is soft, but i'd still expect better than 5k miles on a car like this. I'd get my alignment checked by someone other than the dealer.

Autocross bruh. My F1 Assymetric 2s are 30% worn and I used them for only about 4 autox events this year + 1500km road trip, I only started using them this Spring. My track tires started at 6/32's this year and are down to 3/32s even with 400 treadwear.

BigT
09-29-2014, 08:34 AM
Mine look about the same after just over 20k miles and that's with rotating every oil change and normal highway driving. I've had 60 dollar sumitomo tires grip better and last longer than these POS tires.

shadyabarth
09-29-2014, 09:28 AM
Mine look about the same after just over 20k miles and that's with rotating every oil change and normal highway driving. I've had 60 dollar sumitomo tires grip better and last longer than these POS tires.

Keep in mind that the unfavorable weight balance of a FWD car, combined with a heavy right foot driving style with ESC fully off, will cause these tires to wear at an alarming rate..I ran Michelin Pilot Sports/PS2's on my E46 and E92 M3's and both rear tires were down to the cords at around 10,000 miles after 2 track sessions and aggressive street driving..

Crazy Otto
10-01-2014, 08:14 PM
I will get to 35k miles on mine. lots of commuting but spirited driving as well...2 sessions at lime rock. I did rotate on time. blizzaks go on in December then on to khumo v700 next yr. those will not last long! (spec tire for mini cooper works gp)