PDA

View Full Version : How many amps are useful in a home charging station?

Mr Fun Sacramento
09-18-2014, 07:02 PM
So, just got word that Clipper Creek has the amps on their HCS 40 model from 30 to 32, with no change in price. But they also have an HCS 60 which charges at 48 amps. I'll confess to not being that great with understanding electricity. How much quicker will my car charge at 48 amps? Can the battery even get charged at that amperage?

Jester49
09-18-2014, 09:37 PM
So, just got word that Clipper Creek has the amps on their HCS 40 model from 30 to 32, with no change in price. But they also have an HCS 60 which charges at 48 amps. I'll confess to not being that great with understanding electricity. How much quicker will my car charge at 48 amps? Can the battery even get charged at that amperage?

What's the max charging rate the 500e will except? The closer to the maximum the faster it will fully charge. Doesn't make any sense to install the 48amp unit if it will only except 30amps...

Rick

Greg Elmassian
09-18-2014, 11:18 PM
The Fiat is rated at 6.6 Kw max... from my rough calculations, that seems to be pretty close to 30 amps, and might be 32 amps, depending on the supply voltage, which does vary somewhat. Remember the "charger" actually only takes the input voltage and give it to the car.... nothing is done to it. The "charger" is basically only a big on off switch.

So if you have a level 2 charger, then you are getting between 220 and 240 volts... that variation in input voltage will make a difference in current drawn.

I built a charger from a kit, and I've seen a max of about 27 amps drawn, but I have not done extensive testing to see what the max current is under all charging conditions.

I can tell you though, no way a level 2 charger will draw 48 amps on a 500e... the charging system will not draw that much.

Greg

GHGlaser
10-29-2014, 02:24 AM
Greetings from one Greg to another Greg,

First I wish to express my admiration for all the quality information you make available on this site. I have learned much, and I thank you for that.

On to my question, What do chargers actually do?

If the conversion from AC to DC is done within the 500e, why wouldn't we have 240V, weatherproof power outlets installed outside of our homes, and then plug a suitable cable from it into the 500e's recharge port?

My understanding is that it is the vehicle's own charging system that interrupts the flow of current from the voltage source when it has determined that the battery has reached a 100% charge condition.

If I am mistaken about the automatic shut-off, I'm thinking the shut off could be accomplished by using the on-board charging menu to start and stop the current to the vehicle.

I'm very interested to know your thoughts.

Sincerely,

Other Greg

Greg Elmassian
10-29-2014, 11:36 PM
Try reading my page first, might answer all your questions:

http://www.elmassian.com/electronics-aamp-gadgets/vehicles/fiat-500e/building-a-240v-charger

Regards, Greg

bhchieftain
10-31-2014, 09:29 AM
Hi,
I just recently installed the clipper creek HCS40, hardwired unit (32A output, 7.7kw. I got the hardwired unit vs. the plugin unit for 2 reasons
1) it is cheaper
2) it uses a lower amp line, which lowers the electrician's installation cost. The hardwire unit requires a 40A line, the plugin unit requires a 50A line

My total cost was around ~2K... $1000 for the electrician to install a dedicated 40A/240V line routed from my main breaker box (where I *did* have room for the new line so
I did not need another breaker panel), routed as far as possible to the opposite side of my house where my garage is. Permit was $500. Then the EVSE unit was $600.

The Fiat has on-board timers and will autoshut off when fully charged. I program the car with the dashboard interface to start charging at 11pm which is when my off peak rate starts. Takes about 4-5 hours to charge and will auto shut off.

Chief

bhchieftain
10-31-2014, 09:42 AM
Greetings from one Greg to another Greg,

First I wish to express my admiration for all the quality information you make available on this site. I have learned much, and I thank you for that.

On to my question, What do chargers actually do?

If the conversion from AC to DC is done within the 500e, why wouldn't we have 240V, weatherproof power outlets installed outside of our homes, and then plug a suitable cable from it into the 500e's recharge port?

My understanding is that it is the vehicle's own charging system that interrupts the flow of current from the voltage source when it has determined that the battery has reached a 100% charge condition.

If I am mistaken about the automatic shut-off, I'm thinking the shut off could be accomplished by using the on-board charging menu to start and stop the current to the vehicle.

I'm very interested to know your thoughts.

Sincerely,

Other Greg

Here's another link that talks about what the EVSE does-- basically a safety feature. Note, the actual cost of the EVSE isn't that bad-- the real cost for me was installing the dedicated 40A line (I did not even have a 240V line to a dryer as my dryer is gas...).

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1050948_what-is-evse-and-why-does-your-electric-car-charger-need-it

Chief