PDA

View Full Version : WOT 1st to 2nd

JordanW2157
09-16-2014, 10:16 PM
So I've pretty much mastered the manual transmission. The only thing I struggle with is getting a smooth 1st to 2nd gear shift while wide open. Could It be that I'm letting the clutch up too quickly? When I do 1st to 2nd I leave the clutch in just a bit longer to get a smooth shift. Would that also apply to WOT? Any tips? Thanks!

B3NN3TT
09-17-2014, 09:17 AM
I find that this happens more frequently when NOT in Sport mode. I can click off shifts perfectly in Sport, but without, it lurches badly from 1-2.

aelfwyne
09-17-2014, 10:02 PM
My Sport does this too. I think the flywheel isn't letting the engine spin down fast enough for spirited shifting.

As you've observed, the answer is longer clutch time. A lighter flywheel might help, if you're into mods.

JordanW2157
09-18-2014, 12:46 AM
My Sport does this too. I think the flywheel isn't letting the engine spin down fast enough for spirited shifting.

As you've observed, the answer is longer clutch time. A lighter flywheel might help, if you're into mods.

This was my thought on it. I've been holding in the clutch a bit longer and at times I add a bit of gas to smooth it out, it helps a bit.

jimmybuckets
09-19-2014, 06:27 AM
This...
http://www.neu-f.com/nf2201-neu-f-torque-arm-insert.html

Long_John
09-19-2014, 10:29 AM
There's nothing smooth about WOT shifting. Your shifting with your foot down on the gas. What do you expect exactly?

Lou Caputo
09-19-2014, 11:17 AM
Install the Unichip with the Go Pedal, and THEN try this! You'll redline in both gears before you have a chance to worry about smooth shifting!

JordanW2157
09-19-2014, 01:55 PM
There's nothing smooth about WOT shifting. Your shifting with your foot down on the gas. What do you expect exactly?

Well I'm new to a manual so maybe I don't know what to expect, that's why I'm asking...

JordanW2157
09-19-2014, 01:57 PM
Install the Unichip with the Go Pedal, and THEN try this! You'll redline in both gears before you have a chance to worry about smooth shifting!

I plan to purchase a Unichip soon. Hopefully. Thanks!

doverosx
09-19-2014, 03:59 PM
I plan to purchase a Unichip soon. Hopefully. Thanks!

If you want smoothness you'll want to slip the clutch a little more, double clutch or just not care about smoothness lol. It'll come with time and practice though, so just keep working at it and I'll be rev matching and ripping through traffic while holding a conversation.

shagghie
09-19-2014, 07:02 PM
If you want smoothness you'll want to slip the clutch a little more, double clutch or just not care about smoothness lol. It'll come with time and practice though, so just keep working at it and I'll be rev matching and ripping through traffic while holding a conversation.

This ^

Long_John
09-19-2014, 07:28 PM
Well I'm new to a manual so maybe I don't know what to expect, that's why I'm asking...
I assume your talking about holding the gas pedal down during shifts? aka flat foot shifting or just shifting fast during wot acceleration?
You'll never get a smooth wot/ffs shift. The rpms rise between gears when shifting. Your essentially giving it a little lurch forward when you let off the clutch because the rpms are higher than where they are going to be in the next gear.
If your tune has wot/flat foot shifting built in. The rpms will slowly drop even with your foot down keeping the motor in boost while avoiding the limiter if your too slow to shift.

JordanW2157
09-19-2014, 08:27 PM
I assume your talking about holding the gas pedal down during shifts? aka flat foot shifting or just shifting fast during wot acceleration?
You'll never get a smooth wot/ffs shift. The rpms rise between gears when shifting. Your essentially giving it a little lurch forward when you let off the clutch because the rpms are higher than where they are going to be in the next gear.
If your tune has wot/flat foot shifting built in. The rpms will slowly drop even with your foot down keeping the motor in boost while avoiding the limiter if your too slow to shift.

No I'm not. I'm talking clutch in, shift to second, clutch out. Then I get a jerk.

JordanW2157
09-19-2014, 08:28 PM
This ^

I agree. Sounds like the best idea. I already tried slipping and it works pretty well

mp4guy
09-19-2014, 08:43 PM
This...

Yup.

bomba
09-20-2014, 06:26 PM
This...

I hope to install mine next weekend.