PDA

View Full Version : Decat or Not Poll

nickpratt2010
09-15-2014, 04:12 PM
So I'm in a pickle. The decat pipe from mpx sounds orgasmic. I want it. But having it will void my warranty. My dealer told me I can mod as much as my heart desires but if I lose the cat I lose my warranty. So I am making this thread as a poll. I bought my 500T back in May brand new and as of now I have 12000 miles. Yes lol I know I drive a lot. My warranty is for 120,000 miles. So I want to start a poll.

Option A.) Buy the decat pipe, instal it, keep it on and void the warranty. What could go wrong with it major before 120,000 miles?

Option B.) Buy the decat pipe, instal it and then just take it off every time I go to the dealer. I haven't read up on how easy it is to instal and take off so not sure if this method is worth taking. Plus it will put a lot of wear and tear on the car constantly taking it apart.

Option C.) Buy it now while I have the funds and in 5 years or so down the road when the warranty is up instal it then.

Option D.) Screw it and buy the RRM high flow catted downpipe.

Thanks ahead of time for the help on this decision.

ophidia31
09-15-2014, 04:17 PM
If theyre picky about the cat, you can open up the exit like norcal does for his modded stock cats he does for members.

nickpratt2010
09-15-2014, 04:32 PM
My only thing is me and the wife both work full time and only have the two cars so I can't go a day without my fiat. That's also the reason I'm not going with the Tork Tune. 😢

lammie200
09-15-2014, 04:46 PM
E) Consider the environment and use a catted pipe.

nickpratt2010
09-15-2014, 04:56 PM
E) Consider the environment and use a catted pipe.

Isn't that like option D?😉

mudking
09-15-2014, 05:15 PM
If you plan to add a muffler of some sort I would say decat all the way. Otherwise cat it up for everyone else's sake, my.02..
I have loved my RRM hi flow dp since the day I installed it! Good luck with whatever you decide..

nickpratt2010
09-15-2014, 05:31 PM
If you plan to add a muffler of some sort I would say decat all the way. Otherwise cat it up for everyone else's sake, my.02..
I have loved my RRM hi flow dp since the day I installed it! Good luck with whatever you decide..

Was thinking decat and remove the stock muffler and replace with cherry bomb glass pack. http://www.cherrybomb.com/Catalog/glasspack_3_12_body_straight_tubes/glasspack-87520.aspx

lammie200
09-15-2014, 05:43 PM
Isn't that like option D?

I guess so, but you never mentioned anything about environmental issues in your original post. It seemed like it was tilted toward retaining the warranty. Either way good luck.

nickpratt2010
09-15-2014, 05:48 PM
I'm just messing with ya lol. Environment isn't really a thought. I'm just a kid who wants my car loud lol. I used to own a Mazda speed 3 with a 2.5 inch straight pipe and no cat. To old to have a warranty so it was fine and dandy then. Now I have a warranty so that is the only concern. Sound wise how is the RRM high flow catted downpipe? Do you have it on a stock exhaust?

shagghie
09-15-2014, 06:18 PM
I'm just messing with ya lol. Environment isn't really a thought. I'm just a kid who wants my car loud lol. I used to own a Mazda speed 3 with a 2.5 inch straight pipe and no cat. To old to have a warranty so it was fine and dandy then. Now I have a warranty so that is the only concern. Sound wise how is the RRM high flow catted downpipe? Do you have it on a stock exhaust?

leave the muffler (it isn't really a muffler anyway, so there's no difference in sound compared to 2013's, etc.).
But if you go with cherry bomb then put it at the very end of the mid pipe as far down stream as you can before the bend up over the axle.

If you are going for sound, you can't go wrong and it will likely end up sounding like a Ferrari lol! I have a borla x1r on mine and it still is bonkers so don't worry about the cherry bomb taming things too much. Also I'd put it as far back as possible to slow down the glass burnout.

nickpratt2010
09-15-2014, 06:55 PM
leave the muffler (it isn't really a muffler anyway, so there's no difference in sound compared to 2013's, etc.).
But if you go with cherry bomb then put it at the very end of the mid pipe as far down stream as you can before the bend up over the axle.

If you are going for sound, you can't go wrong and it will likely end up sounding like a Ferrari lol! I have a borla x1r on mine and it still is bonkers so don't worry about the cherry bomb taming things too much. Also I'd put it as far back as possible to slow down the glass burnout.

I loved the sound of your car so much I downloaded the youtube video so I can hear it every now and then to remind myself of what my car could sound like lol.
Thanks on the help with the glass pack. I wasn't really sure where would be a great place to put it. All I knew is that the longer it is the lower the pitch and the shorter it is the more raspy. I want the high pitch raspyness. Im thinkin it would sound great with no cat and the cherry bomb.

JackandSue
09-15-2014, 07:10 PM
Go with the RRM downpipe with cat. The performance and sound are awesome and it can still be smoged.

Crossfirecat
09-15-2014, 07:35 PM
My only thing is me and the wife both work full time and only have the two cars so I can't go a day without my fiat. That's also the reason I'm not going with the Tork Tune. 😢

Norcalss does an exchange if I'm not mistaken. You pay him for the for modding the outlet plus a deposit for the downpipe. Once you get the DP from him, You ship yours back and he refunds your deposit.
Unless your like me and have 60k+ on your car!

Now back to your question: I'm running the MPX catless DP. It's the very definition of loud! But I like it and I live in the middle of nowhere with no neighbors. If I lived in the suburbs, I expect my neighbors would probably throw rocks at me as I drove by. So some type of straight through muffler or resonator is definitely in order. Shaggie is correct about placement for another reason: Drone! Put the muffler/resonator as far to the rear as possible. If it's a glass pack it will last longer and the likelihood of drone in the cabin will be lessened.

Abarth Five O
09-15-2014, 08:01 PM
Since you main concern is maintaining your warranty, go with Norcal's mod. IIFC, he offers a core arrangement to avoid downtime.

nickpratt2010
09-16-2014, 06:02 AM
Ya it is but is it worth keeping the warranty vs the sweet sound?

NGEN
09-16-2014, 09:49 AM
It's definitely a risk. Warranty can be pretty important, especially if you have a major issue. Here are probably your options:

1.) Go with the MPX Catless DP. The install isn't too bad after you have done it once or twice. The sound is AMAZING. If you don't do routine maintenance yourself (i.e. oil changes), take it to a reputable independent shop that is not the studio (they won't care about not having a cat) to have those services done.. If you need warranty work, keep all your paperwork for routine maintenance and swap it back out with the stock cat if you need to take it in. This is the only way to have your cake and eat it to.

2.) Go with the RRM Hi-Flow Cat DP. Less likely to throw a light (especially if you install the Vibrant Defouler Tuner Kit and Big Daddy Mini-Cat). This option also sounds AMAZING. However, the dealer will see that modification and likely pin you for that. Plus the tuner kit isn't a guarantee that you won't throw a CEL (it just reduces the chances greatly).

3.) Go with the NorcalSS 2.5" Exit on the stock DP. I have heard nothing but positive things about his welding abilities and the results. You will not have to remove it once installed and it will not cause a CEL. Exhaust sound will increase some but not as much as the RRM Hi-Flow or MPX Catless.

Whatever you do, hope it turns out the way that you want. If you need any help, just let us know.

Bryan

ivmill
09-16-2014, 10:08 AM
It's definitely a risk. Warranty can be pretty important, especially if you have a major issue. Here are probably your options:

1.) Go with the MPX Catless DP. The install isn't too bad after you have done it once or twice. The sound is AMAZING. If you don't do routine maintenance yourself (i.e. oil changes), take it to a reputable independent shop that is not the studio (they won't care about not having a cat) to have those services done.. If you need warranty work, keep all your paperwork for routine maintenance and swap it back out with the stock cat if you need to take it in. This is the only way to have your cake and eat it to.

This is how I went about things. I'm at least an hour away from the nearest Fiat dealer so i never planned on using them often. If something big comes up and I need to take it back to them, then I'll just put the factory cat back on. I know it's not the most convenient thing, but I like the added assurance of a warranty.

nickpratt2010
09-16-2014, 10:17 PM
This is how I went about things. I'm at least an hour away from the nearest Fiat dealer so i never planned on using them often. If something big comes up and I need to take it back to them, then I'll just put the factory cat back on. I know it's not the most convenient thing, but I like the added assurance of a warranty.
I am in the same boat. One hour from fiat. Once I hit 30,000 miles my oil changes are not free and screw getting it done there for a high cost. I like that idea.

Whatever you do, hope it turns out the way that you want. If you need any help, just let us know.

Bryan

Ya this is the route I'm going to take. I'll buy and instal it after my free oil changes are up.
Thanks for all the suggestions.

NGEN
09-16-2014, 10:54 PM
I am in the same boat. One hour from fiat. Once I hit 30,000 miles my oil changes are not free and screw getting it done there for a high cost. I like that idea.

Ya this is the route I'm going to take. I'll buy and instal it after my free oil changes are up.
Thanks for all the suggestions.

great! Let me know when you are ready!

nickpratt2010
09-16-2014, 11:42 PM
Why does ngens mpx decat pipe say exit is 2.25 and 500 madness say it is 2 inches.

Crossfirecat
09-16-2014, 11:45 PM
Why does ngens mpx decat pipe say exit is 2.25 and 500 madness say it is 2 inches.

It must be a typo. I have the MPX DP and it is definately 2.25 inches at the outlet.

NGEN
09-17-2014, 12:16 AM

When we measured it it was 2 1/4 and we also confirmed with MPX

nickpratt2010
09-20-2014, 07:48 PM
Ok so another question now about a downpipe. I'm looking at the atp downpipe with the 3in exit option. With that I saw I would need a custom 3in exhaust. Wouldn't there so little back pressure that it would actually hurt performance?

boostfreak
09-20-2014, 08:15 PM
The turbocharger provides backpressure. Anything post turbo should be as free flowing as possible (for power, anyway).

abarth661
09-20-2014, 08:26 PM
the downpipe is very easy to install and uninstall im running the rrm catless downpipe. I love that i spit fire now and it pops so much more every time i bring my car to the shop its a hour of my time to put the stock one back on. not sure if i can link my video of my baby spitting fire but here it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DN4MOSZEnJA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DN4MOSZEnJA

i put a 6 in resonator on my car to quiet it down a little. The droning on the way to work was very loud. but i love it. The only thing is every time i hear a stock abarth i do miss the sound but not enough to go back to it. I will get some better videos of my car with how loud it is.

nickpratt2010
09-20-2014, 10:43 PM
I have the 500T and I think it's way to quiet stock unlike the abarth.

ABARTH TAMER
09-21-2014, 04:38 PM
I'll bet performance gains are minimal. Save yourself the grief and don't void your warranty, you may need it.

Do you really want to to be trying to return your car to stock every time you go for a smog check? In most states, you won't be able to sell the car without the cat.

nickpratt2010
09-21-2014, 06:05 PM
Do you really want to to be trying to return your car to stock every time you go for a smog check? In most states, you won't be able to sell the car without the cat.

The good thing about this is in Illinois we don't have smog checks...at least in my county. The only time I would have to bring it into the dealer is when something goes wrong with the car so what's another couple hours to put the oem downpipe back on.

My only question now is what decat pipe to go with.

Tweak
09-21-2014, 08:32 PM
The good thing about this is in Illinois we don't have smog checks...at least in my county. The only time I would have to bring it into the dealer is when something goes wrong with the car so what's another couple hours to put the oem downpipe back on.

My only question now is what decat pipe to go with.

I think Bryan at NGEN with his MPx offering is something to look into, seems he went through a lot of effort testing and finding a way to not have an CEL issues. Doesn't hurt to look into it and ask. :)

NGEN
09-21-2014, 08:56 PM
I think Bryan at NGEN with his MPx offering is something to look into, seems he went through a lot of effort testing and finding a way to not have an CEL issues. Doesn't hurt to look into it and ask. :)

Thanks tweak. Yes we are currently over 600 miles without a CEL. It's a great mod and we offer it for a great price.

boostaddict
09-22-2014, 05:01 AM
The cat really puts a restriction on these turbo's. It was one of my first mod's, I've had alot of good luck with the vibrant spacer using the smallest fitting.

shagghie
09-22-2014, 09:32 AM
http://instagram.com/p/tO7N37qPwB/

^ do it

Tweak
09-22-2014, 11:28 PM
Thanks tweak. Yes we are currently over 600 miles without a CEL. It's a great mod and we offer it for a great price.

;) Happy to help.

moosestang
09-29-2014, 10:17 AM
My only thing is me and the wife both work full time and only have the two cars so I can't go a day without my fiat. That's also the reason I'm not going with the Tork Tune. ��

Don't you need a tune if you remove the cat? I can't stand the way a car smells without a cat, so I've never deleted mine. I've considered it on my mustang since it's not a daily driver and more a drag car, but I hate that smell!

boostaddict
09-29-2014, 10:31 AM
Ahhh another good thing that smell of 93 octane in the morning when i'm waiting at the drive thru for my coffee it smells soooo gooood!

moosestang
09-29-2014, 10:49 AM
I'll bet performance gains are minimal. Save yourself the grief and don't void your warranty, you may need it.

LOL! Not in florida. I am pro-cat, because if everyone removed their cats the smell would be over powering, but no one is checking your car for a cat when you sell it.

moosestang
09-29-2014, 10:51 AM
Ahhh another good thing that smell of 93 octane in the morning when i'm waiting at the drive thru for my coffee it smells soooo gooood!

Sorry, I meant to type without, not with.