PDA

View Full Version : New Wheels, help me decide!

odanota
09-09-2014, 05:18 PM
I am torn between two wheels for my Abarth and need some help deciding especially since I am not too familiar with offset. I like the look of a wider tire or wider stance but most of the wheels I am finding are 17x7 instead of 17x7.5, not sure if the width of the rim would make much of a difference. So, the two wheels I am torn over are the Neu-F's and the OZ superturismo LM's the Neu-F's are .5 inches wider and from what I understand, they have a wider stance on the car. The O.Z's have a 37mm offset so I am not sure if I would need to run spacers to make the stance wider and fill out the wheel wells.

Any help would be great!

Thanks

jason3d
09-09-2014, 07:02 PM
My vote would go to the superturismos. I like the spoke look better personally. The other consideration (if it matters to you) is that wider wheels with more aggressive offsets tend to look better the lower your car is. If you're on stock suspension wider wheels contribute to the 4x4 look.

Here's a great calculator if you want to see the real effect of widths and offsets compared to each other.
http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Wheel-Offset-Calculator

odanota
09-09-2014, 07:21 PM
My vote would go to the superturismos. I like the spoke look better personally. The other consideration (if it matters to you) is that wider wheels with more aggressive offsets tend to look better the lower your car is. If you're on stock suspension wider wheels contribute to the 4x4 look.

Here's a great calculator if you want to see the real effect of widths and offsets compared to each other.
http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Wheel-Offset-Calculator

Thanks for the feedback! I am with you on enjoying the way the spokes on the Superturismos look, have actually always liked those wheels. My only concern is with how they will sit on the car, guess I can work that out pretty easy with spacers if needed. I am about to put a pair of coil overs on the car so the car will be more on the lowered side!

Thanks for the info and the link!

jason3d
09-09-2014, 07:31 PM
Looks like the Oz 17x7 et37 are only 2mm inset from stock 17x7 et35. You probably wouldn't notice the 2mm. I would make the decision more based on the design of the wheel rather than fitment since both of these obviously fit no problem. You can always play around with spacers later if you want to push them out further after you get the coils on and know how much more of a push you want.

odanota
09-09-2014, 07:48 PM
Looks like the Oz 17x7 et37 are only 2mm inset from stock 17x7 et35. You probably wouldn't notice the 2mm. I would make the decision more based on the design of the wheel rather than fitment since both of these obviously fit no problem. You can always play around with spacers later if you want to push them out further after you get the coils on and know how much more of a push you want.

Yeah, not much of a difference at all. I will see how it looks with the coils and wheels with no spacers and take it from there. The 5mm spacers are not very expensive I just hope I do not want anything wider than that since the spacers get pricey fast!

jason3d
09-09-2014, 10:24 PM
Yeah, especially all of the longer wheel bolts when you go wider than 5mm. I just ordered some oem abarth 17's today so will have to do some searching on what spacers people use with them.

Tweak
09-09-2014, 10:28 PM
Yeah, especially all of the longer wheel bolts when you go wider than 5mm. I just ordered some oem abarth 17's today so will have to do some searching on what spacers people use with them.

Prob 10mm but there is a little room for options according to what I've seen.

jason3d
09-09-2014, 10:48 PM
Prob 10mm but there is a little room for options according to what I've seen.

Cool, thanks. Do these cars need the hubcentric and wheelcentric spacers? Or do folks just run flat spacers?

Tweak
09-10-2014, 09:23 PM
Cool, thanks. Do these cars need the hubcentric and wheelcentric spacers? Or do folks just run flat spacers?

I think the hubcentric need is there. Someone else hopefully will chime in with a definitive answer.

jason3d
09-10-2014, 09:36 PM
I think the hubcentric need is there. Someone else hopefully will chime in with a definitive answer.

Yeah, most spacers are hubcentric but some cars need the wheel centric lip so they don't have any vibrations at speed.

shagghie
09-11-2014, 12:11 AM
OZ's... too many people rocking the Neu-F's already. Also, Neu-F's require a mandatory BBK to finish off, so factor that into your longer term build budget. Just one guy's opinion. Best advice on the other hand (having spent over a year picking my wheels out and changing them up even after that again), is go with something a) you LOVE and b) you won't get tired of over time. Make sure they will tie into the rest of the car's longer term build, from both a functionality as well as looks stand point.

odanota
09-11-2014, 02:37 AM
OZ's... too many people rocking the Neu-F's already. Also, Neu-F's require a mandatory BBK to finish off, so factor that into your longer term build budget. Just one guy's opinion. Best advice on the other hand (having spent over a year picking my wheels out and changing them up even after that again), is go with something a) you LOVE and b) you won't get tired of over time. Make sure they will tie into the rest of the car's longer term build, from both a functionality as well as looks stand point.

Thanks for the response. The OZ's are in the lead for sure. Love your build out especially the exhaust can you give me an idea of what a setup like that would cost!?

streetsurfer
09-11-2014, 06:05 AM
These photo weren't necessarily taken to show the fit but can maybe give you an idea. Im fine with it, but were I to add mudflaps, I might increase the spacer depth to 8 or 10mm. These are 5mm spacers, OZ 17x7, 37mm offset, 5.43" backspacing. Zooming in on the wrongly rotated one you can see the spacers (eibach) in light gray.

stealthy1ss
09-11-2014, 06:48 PM
IMO a +30 or less offset looks way better. I have OZ Leggenda's that are 17x7 +30 with KW V1 coilovers.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5595/15208456871_50d58dd2a7_b.jpg

shagghie
09-11-2014, 07:52 PM
when i had the allergritas, I ran 15mm rear and 10mm front spacers for a nice flush fit without rubbing on 205 rubber. When I went to 215 rubber and did solo2, I had some rubbing issues in the rear.

For the exhaust, you can price out the neu-f at neu-f.com, and the borla x1r (optional, really) is a few bills IIRC. The MPx DP is dirt cheap for another few bills, and if you have a shop put it all together at once, the labor might be another few bills.

The cheapest way to get into a similar sound would be to go with MPx... the DP, the back-end, and the mid-pipe they will be coming out with to complete the system. Then, if you want that nice muffled, burbly, deep sound when I let off the throttle, look no further than the Borla x1r. the other way to go would be the neu-f exhaust with the muffler, and the mpx catless DP.

I'm not sure which video of my exhaust you are referencing though... if it was the one from 2 days ago (vs. today's when I added the mpx DP), then what you'll need is the NorcalSS mod to your stock DP. That gives an AWESOME sound that balances loudness, character, and better flow really well.

odanota
09-11-2014, 08:00 PM
IMO a +30 or less offset looks way better. I have OZ Leggenda's that are 17x7 +30 with KW V1 coilovers.

Thanks for the input, so with 30 or less the wheels naturally will sit out more without spacers? I had my eye on the Leggenda's too, never saw red though! Your car does look nice, rather not run spacers if I could help it. Seems like there are so many variables to deal with between shocks, rims, tires etc. all playing into the look...

Gigante
09-11-2014, 08:01 PM

This looks great Stealthy1ss.

Nice choice,
GIGANTE

Horizontally-Opposed
09-11-2014, 09:07 PM

Very cool. Did a quick search for your other posts, but curious as to how you like the KWs and how many miles you've put on them? Mostly interested in how they deal with lumps, bumps, and short-sharp impacts. Thanks!!

pete