PDA

View Full Version : Question for those w/ the 500 Madness tuning box...when to go from #7 to #8

Klasse Act
09-08-2014, 11:48 AM
Ok, so I have some mods done to the car (500 Madness tuning box, EC R3T V2 and the MPx axle-back) and at what point can I safely go from setting #7 to #8? I live in the greater Chicagoland area where 93 octane is everywhere, so dealing with only 91 isn't an issue. Sea level here is pretty flat, although I do go down to the Tail of the Dragon once a year where it goes anywhere from 2000 ft to a little over a mile high (on the Cherohola Skyway) so these are also some factors. I'd rather be safe in all honesty but how do I know when I can do this. I appreciate all solid input on this, if you've got proof I would appreciate it even more, thank you!

I really ask this because my buddy who has one, with more mods now, said that when he went from #6 to #7 he noticed a big difference but he's got a FMIC and lightened pulley over what I have, so please take this into consideration also.

Tweak
09-08-2014, 09:02 PM
I had only an intake and I ran level 9 (because they didn't offer level 10) for nearly a year then went to 8 then 7 testing things out and no real issues (see below). I always run 93 only.

Let me explain the only issues I did have...

If I drive for 3 or more hours with cruise control and at fairly constant speeds of around 70MPH then the car experienced 2 problems.

1. Cruise control would not turn on after a stop unless I either waited (5-10) minutes or started and stopped 1-2 times. I say waited and started stopped because if I turned off and right back on it did not work but if I was patient and waited one of the two or both fixed things.

2. CEL I think mentioning a boost issue, never seemed to be a problem except when on these long drives to or from the Dragon though and this was on the older 2 wire TMC unit FYI.

Cleared CEL and car had no problems during these times of long travel. Now I did have 2 occasions possibly due to lower than desirable oil levels where I was boost limited to 6lbs...AKA "limp mode". Being out in the middle of nowhere I couldn't get oil but I needed an oil change so left it at the dealer to check for any problems and for oil/tire service and no problems once returned.

Also in case it helps I spoke with Daron Brown one of the founders of TMC and he told me they do not test the units beyond level 6 but offer higher for those that want more from the system. Take that as you like and decide according to whatever you think is best for you and your car.

shadowshaggy
09-08-2014, 10:51 PM
From what I read and have experienced with Mike's car, setting 7 wpuld work great for you. After the FMIC, 8 would be right. That's not strictly an opinion, but after being in the car and then driving - 7 until you install a new intercooler.

This was done in Memphis at 50-60ft above sea level with 93 btw.

Klasse Act
09-09-2014, 10:46 AM
From what I read and have experienced with Mike's car, setting 7 wpuld work great for you. After the FMIC, 8 would be right. That's not strictly an opinion, but after being in the car and then driving - 7 until you install a new intercooler.

This was done in Memphis at 50-60ft above sea level with 93 btw.

I will be taking this advice for sure, thank you very much! If everything goes right, the FMIC will be installed next spring!!

While on the subject, when does #9 and #10 come into play?

shagghie
09-09-2014, 12:33 PM
Octane is the biggest factor. Stick with 6 and below unless you have 93+ octane, regardless of mods.
In California on 91 Oct, I had the madness v1 (and later, the V2). On both devices I found that even with a fully bolt-on'd engine with FMIC, TB, BOV, Intake, exhuast, ported DP, etc. etc that my car was still faster on #6 vs 7, 8 or 9.

hope that helps. If you have all the bolt ons and you have 93+, you might try #7. This is just based on my own testing experience, YMMV.

shadowshaggy
09-09-2014, 01:12 PM
Same thing here shadowlessme, anything beyond #7 with 93 at sea level didn't seem to make any difference - if not slower than #7.

Klasse Act
09-09-2014, 11:07 PM
Ok, so how about this "curve ball" then, the cat-less DP? Would I still need to stay at #7 with this mod? I ask because when I get to hear one in person I have a feeling I'm going to take the plunge and get myself one of those! I know the FMIC is a better and probably safer mod over the cat-less DP but if it sounds good AND is obnoxious, well, its a done deal for me, plus with more testing if it works out, its a no-brainer. That said, I do need to hear it inperson and drive one myself before I pull the trigger, so if noone in the greater Chicagoland area doesn't get one, I'll be taking a road trip to hear and drive someones ride for myself.

Thanks for the above input guys, as well as these questions.

shadowshaggy
09-09-2014, 11:11 PM
Loud is a good word?

youtube.com/MrShadowShaggy is my channel and has video of my 2.5" and catted downpipe.

Also, FMIC first you'll enjoy it better imho

Klasse Act
09-09-2014, 11:41 PM
Loud is a good word?

youtube.com/MrShadowShaggy is my channel and has video of my 2.5" and catted downpipe.

Also, FMIC first you'll enjoy it better imho

I watched the AutoX one, car sounds good but you still hear wind noise, I gotta hear one inperson for sure but I'll take your advice about the FMIC into consideration for sure. I see your in Memphis, I'll be on the other side of your state in 30 days for our yearly Fall Dragon Run, we're in our 11th year straight, can't wait!!!

shadowshaggy
09-10-2014, 12:05 AM
There are two other videos, one is in car windows up and other is idle with camera on ground.

BigDaddySRT
09-10-2014, 06:55 AM
Put your ABARTH on the rollers with an AFR Monitor and see what's best for your ABARTH.

shadowshaggy
09-10-2014, 09:19 AM
You can datalog without doing that, just saying. It'll be more accurate if your driving rather than sitting on a dyno or a set of rollers. Much easier as well; $15 bluetooth adapter or $30 WiFi adapter and grab DashCommand or Torque and datalog away. Just ignore the HP rating since its an equation that leads to incorrect results, but you can get accurate info on many other fields such as ARF.

Don't know if I will be able to make the Dragon yet.....if I do I will bring mine and we'll go for a ride ;)