PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Fiat Abarth Roadster /Mazda Miata

ScorpionQueen
09-05-2014, 04:49 PM
The 2016 Mazda Miata looks very promising weighing in at ~2200lbs, it would be a great platform for the track! any thoughts?

Rumor has it that Fiat will produce a twin just like the (BRZ/FRS) joint venture and it will have the 1.4L multiair Turbo motor that's in the lighter rear wheel drive chasis :)

time to trade in the 500? :playful:

http://static.autoexpress.co.uk/sites/autoexpressuk/files/styles/insert_main_image/public/0/94//allnewmx5_unveiling_mazdaspace_exterior_04_jpg300. jpg?itok=juqzN_nw

09-05-2014, 05:54 PM
Wonder if for once theyll make a Mens version?? :/

smark
09-05-2014, 07:00 PM
Nice, can't wait to see the Alfa/Mazda version.

13VaAbarth
09-05-2014, 08:47 PM
Yea it looks good I wonder how much different the Fiat version looks like.

Tweak
09-05-2014, 10:59 PM
I like it but then I tend to like really small cars that handle well and offer RWD...just add a hardtop and a turbo and it's a definite winner.

Fiat500USA
09-05-2014, 11:28 PM

Maybe something like this:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-GWEUlZ5Y76w/UM-g4IFag_I/AAAAAAAAO00/kSQV_Rknwio/s640/Fiat500USA.com-Fiat_Abarth_124_Abarth_Rally.jpg

I would take a nice 70 - early 74 Fiat 124 Spider over any Miata. I'm liking the new Miata over the older ones, though, so there is high hopes that Fiat can inject some classic Italian design into their version.

Purgatory
09-06-2014, 12:15 AM
Maybe something like this:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-GWEUlZ5Y76w/UM-g4IFag_I/AAAAAAAAO00/kSQV_Rknwio/s640/Fiat500USA.com-Fiat_Abarth_124_Abarth_Rally.jpg

I would take a nice 70 - early 74 Fiat 124 Spider over any Miata. I'm liking the new Miata over the older ones, though, so there is high hopes that Fiat can inject some classic Italian design into their version.

Let's hope so.

Razer500
09-06-2014, 01:09 AM
I'm interested for sure, I keep hoping some leaks will show up soon but there has been nothing at all so far.

The new Miata looks pretty nice actually, I'm impressed. I'd have never considered one, but it does look good so that gives me great hope for the Fiat Abarth version. I want to hear my amazing Abarth exhaust coming out of an awesome two door car like this lol. I'd prefer a hardtop though, I have no desire for a convertible really.

Come on Fiat, we want to at least see a teaser! There are some nice end of the year car shows coming up and now we know that the basic chassis is ready so I want to see some clues as to what is coming!

Andree
09-06-2014, 01:39 AM
I'm interested for sure, I keep hoping some leaks will show up soon but there has been nothing at all so far.

The new Miata looks pretty nice actually, I'm impressed. I'd have never considered one, but it does look good so that gives me great hope for the Fiat Abarth version. I want to hear my amazing Abarth exhaust coming out of an awesome two door car like this lol. I'd prefer a hardtop though, I have no desire for a convertible really.

Come on Fiat, we want to at least see a teaser! There are some nice end of the year car shows coming up and now we know that the basic chassis is ready so I want to see some clues as to what is coming!

Let's toss around some ideas. Thoughts. Opinions. Snacks (those get tossed in my direction, I'm hungry).

Things it could look like or have, that short rounded hardtop, like Tweak's Vette or like Miatas have had, or even like the weird Mini monstrosity (that one does NOT look good with a rounded hardtop). It could be either a PERMANENT hardtop, or one that is removable. I would like to see both choices.

Some folks are just not into convertibles at all, and probably for racing autocross, the hardtop would be preferable.

A removable hardtop is ideal for the areas where you have a great summer, but the winter is cold enough to want a fully insulated hardtop to seal out the elements.

Classic ragtop, top up, top down. What I'd like to see, if it's possible is the option of having either soft or hard or both...but not at the same time. Where a soft top will attach to the same points as the hard top will attach. (why is "hardtop" a word that doesn't offend spell check and "soft top" is autocorrected with a space?)

Yes, it would be a manual soft top. That's what you can use on your car in the "just in case" weather. But you can go completely topless. As in no soft top tagging along, sticking up, or occupying space somewhere. A car that looks like it was made without a top. I think that would be cool.

Dual exhaust. I like the symmetry.

I don't know if it's possible, but the Smart cars have plastic body panels. Some of the colors have the same color plastic under the paint. Like black. So if you have a black painted car that gets a ding, it's still all black. I think their white is also that way.

I like the idea of plastics. It doesn't rust. It may just pop back into place if it gets slightly push/dented. If it's lighter weight, it's easier to ship body parts, including modifications. And if you ended up needing a trunk lid, you could go with unpainted to match or contrast. Sort of like the image posted of the 70s Fiat. The plastics can be matte before paint.

That also means if someone wanted to order up a completely matte/unpainted car, they could do that too. I don't know if that's still a thing or not, but it could be a neat look.

As usual, I'd like vinyl. haha. Vinyl inside on the seat and on the floor as an option. Just for the ease of cleaning. But I doubt Fiat will vinyl and plastic a car together. I'm far too practical these days, and it's making up for all the impractical things I had or wore in my youth!

Surnia
09-06-2014, 03:21 AM
I don't know if it's possible, but the Smart cars have plastic body panels. Some of the colors have the same color plastic under the paint. Like black. So if you have a black painted car that gets a ding, it's still all black. I think their white is also that way.

I like the idea of plastics. It doesn't rust. It may just pop back into place if it gets slightly push/dented. If it's lighter weight, it's easier to ship body parts, including modifications. And if you ended up needing a trunk lid, you could go with unpainted to match or contrast. Sort of like the image posted of the 70s Fiat. The plastics can be matte before paint.

That also means if someone wanted to order up a completely matte/unpainted car, they could do that too. I don't know if that's still a thing or not, but it could be a neat look.

As usual, I'd like vinyl. haha. Vinyl inside on the seat and on the floor as an option. Just for the ease of cleaning. But I doubt Fiat will vinyl and plastic a car together. I'm far too practical these days, and it's making up for all the impractical things I had or wore in my youth!

Plastics were attempted on the Saturn Ion. It didn't end well... The Smart's a small car with small panels, meaning the tolerances/changes to them with temperature won't affect the vehicle as much as a larger paneled car will.

Vinyl... no. Please no. This generation doesn't like Vinyl unless its aftermarket/used to change paint colour =p

Abarth Fun
09-06-2014, 07:32 AM

That's a good one!

Still. The Abarth isn't exactly the manliest looking car either. More than one woman has told me how cute my car is, and one enthusiastically suggested I put lots of black dots on my (red) car so that it would look like a ladybug :shame:

Klasse Act
09-06-2014, 07:39 AM

What's that mean?

modular
09-06-2014, 07:45 AM
What's that mean?

Someone must have read the "definitions" listed in the Urban Dictionary........or just narrow minded. :p

jguerdat
09-06-2014, 07:55 AM
Some folks are just not into convertibles at all, and probably for racing autocross, the hardtop would be preferable.

A removable hardtop is ideal for the areas where you have a great summer, but the winter is cold enough to want a fully insulated hardtop to seal out the elements.

I had an S2000 with removable hardtop. The CR versions come with ONLY a removable hardtop. No way would I want a non-removable hardtop - adds way too much weight in the wrong place. The S2K's hardtop was finished on the inside but not exactly fully insulated. I couldn't tell the difference between soft- or hardtop in cold weather other than a slight difference in noise levels.

Hardtops do little other than to add weight for track/autocross - the preference is to use top down/off for autocross and top up/on for track but primarily for aerodynamics. Neither top does anything useful in a rollover.

Klasse Act
09-06-2014, 07:58 AM
Someone must have read the "definitions" listed in the Urban Dictionary........or just narrow minded. :p

Might be the same guy over on www.autogeek.net that called me out for saying the GTO is a foreign car but didn't read what I said earlier about the car in question. He said he'd never take serious what a grown man that drives a Fiat says about anything car related. The Miata is NOT a chic car, period and either is the Abarth!

Razer500
09-06-2014, 12:58 PM
I'd be interested in seeing a kind of fastback hardtop style if they go with coupe and convertible separate styles. If you have one style with changeable tops it would not be possible I assume as I've never seen one in that style and cannot imagine it would be easy. But, if you look at the Alfa 4c roof style I like that on a small car. The Audi A7 is cool with that long roof and minimal trunk/almost hatch design. I think that would be a cool style on the miata looking at it if they made a tree hardtop only version, but without seeing what Fiat is even thinking it's hard to say if it would look good with the style they are going after.

Overall I'd hope for at a minimum 200hp and light like the Miata is. If it is done well I could see owning one after my Abarth is up for replacement, but I'd have to be able to get in and out of it and that is a concern on any car for me as I'm 6'3" and I have trouble with easily getting in and out of many cars, even mid size sedans, without cracking my head on the a pillar or roofline. The new Dart is impossible for me for example, I have about three inches of my head smacking every time even with my head folded to the side. The new Ford Fusion hits me more often than not too. I like my current Abarth for the easy in and out ability as whatever I get will be a daily driver.

mp4guy
09-06-2014, 01:31 PM
What's that mean?

The Miata has a rep as a "chick car" with some people, which really isn't warranted. I think the car has plenty of cred. But they purposely gave it a more aggressive snout this time to rid the car of that image.

mp4guy
09-06-2014, 01:32 PM
Let's hope so.

You will never see designs like this again.

Fiat500USA
09-06-2014, 01:52 PM
I never got hung up on naming cars genders or people's opinion on the cars I like. Miatas can go pretty well which is good in my book, and I would think squashes that whole "chick" car put down. I just prefer the old spiders, but I still respect what the Miata does. I think the Fiat and Mazda link up is a good thing. Looking forward to it.

msjulie33
09-06-2014, 01:53 PM
The Miata has a rep as a "chick car" with some people, which really isn't warranted. I think the car has plenty of cred. But they purposely gave it a more aggressive snout this time to rid the car of that image.

It's always been funny to me that it got this rep when it's one of the more popular SCCA (and others) choice of affordable quick competent road racer... I admit, we'd make fun because when an entire field of them came around the bend, they could sometimes sound like angry bees..

rustbucket
09-06-2014, 03:15 PM

"chick car"? ... who cares. I buy what I need/ desire and don't give a flip what most everyone else thinks- buying for "image" is the road to disappointment. "Image" is a transitory illusion- perceptions change. I'm old enough to remember when a Harley Sportster was considered a bada*s street machine- now it's considered a "chick bike" which is silly. More women ride motorcycles these days instead of just being a passenger and many of them choose the Sportster- that's good for motorcycling and good for Harley-Davidson. Same goes for the Miata- the best selling two seat sports car in history (Guinness World Book) wins lots of competitions and has put a lot of people behind the wheel of a sports car that otherwise might not have done so. That more than a few of them have been women has been a good thing for Mazda.

Tweak
09-06-2014, 06:00 PM
I do hope the removeable hardtop is an option rather than the built in electric. I don't care as much about the top offering better insulation or less noise I care about how dramatically it improves the lines and thus the looks of the car. As for the chick car reference...as was stated by msjulie and rustbucket it is a great car on the track...back when I was hanging with a bunch of track rats the Miata was known as "track lice" because they were plentiful and of course so small. They are undeniably an amazing little car setting records in sales and on the track and if you've ever driven one you'd also know they have a near perfect weight balance and handle so very well even in stock trim. I still miss the '02 (NB) that was stolen and that I've never seen since. :(

In the end...drive what you YOU like and don't care about what anyone else thinks...as has been stated the Fiat isn't considered the most masculine car on the road, even the "bad boy" Abarth.

Andree
09-06-2014, 08:14 PM
Plastics were attempted on the Saturn Ion. It didn't end well... The Smart's a small car with small panels, meaning the tolerances/changes to them with temperature won't affect the vehicle as much as a larger paneled car will.

Vinyl... no. Please no. This generation doesn't like Vinyl unless its aftermarket/used to change paint colour =p

Ah, I didn't know about the changes from temperature.

Vinyl only for the care factor. I also think living in a zoo enclosure would be great. No dusting or vacuuming, just hose down the interior. And, when going outside, people will throw pink popcorn at me.

I often yearn for absolute simplicity.

13VaAbarth
09-06-2014, 11:43 PM
I kinda hope it has a easy manual soft top so u can easily just reach back and pop it into place real quick if it starts to rain while driving or if out and about doing errands. Also having a manual top is less weight and complexity and cheaper to produce and cheaper to sell. And I agree it has to have at least 200ish HP and TQ.

Fiat500USA
09-06-2014, 11:59 PM
I kinda hope it has a easy manual soft top so u can easily just reach back and pop it into place real quick if it starts to rain while driving or if out and about doing.. .

Yep. Just like the Fiat 124 spider. My wife has a Wrangler and how I wish it had an easy folding top like the Fiats I've had.

JimmyTestarossa
09-07-2014, 10:14 AM
Boy, the Miata haters have obviously never driven one. I have a '92 and it is a BRILLIANT car! The chassis and suspension are very clever and the engine and transmission are a joy.

The whole chick car thing must have been started by a very insecure person.

My sources tell me that the new roadster will be badged as either a Fiat or an Abarth, not an Alfa. The 1.4 Multiair in this platform will be an absolute blast!

Gharbeson
09-07-2014, 10:58 AM
Boy, the Miata haters have obviously never driven one. I have a '92 and it is a BRILLIANT car! The chassis and suspension are very clever and the engine and transmission are a joy.

The whole chick car thing must have been started by a very insecure person.

My sources tell me that the new roadster will be badged as either a Fiat or an Abarth, not an Alfa. The 1.4 Multiair in this platform will be an absolute blast!

They're wonderful little quick cars. Our Spec Miata is fast! Hate to say this but how often do you hear your Fiat/Abarth called "cute!" , well it is! No way around it. The Miata stepped up with a great car after the Euro sports cars just died away, the Fiat 124s, MG, Austin Healey, Triumph, etc. Mazda was there with a beautifully designed and built car for us. The new looks pretty fine!

Klasse Act
09-07-2014, 11:10 AM
Yeah I posted that question earlier because of the ignorant "man version" of the car comment, sorry to call you out but let's be smarter. It only makes sense for the 1.4L turbo to go into the Fiat/Abarth version for sure, its really going to be something when it comes out, hope there's cues from the old Spyders from the 80's, would LOVE to see round headlights too!

All my close friends are into Mazda's, one has an Abarth and if the Miata has the right engine, his Abarth will end up going away for one. He's got an 85' GSL-SE RX7, an 88' RX7 turbo and a 92' Miata with very low miles and has owned many other Mazda cars over the years.

I think it would be cool if these new verts coming out would keep it raw, no power folding tops and maybe crank windows, manual locks and no power steering, wishful thinking, sure, but one can wish, right!

09-07-2014, 01:18 PM
Yeah I posted that question earlier because of the ignorant "man version" of the car comment, sorry to call you out but let's be smarter. It only makes sense for the 1.4L turbo to go into the Fiat/Abarth version for sure, its really going to be something when it comes out, hope there's cues from the old Spyders from the 80's, would LOVE to see round headlights too!

All my close friends are into Mazda's, one has an Abarth and if the Miata has the right engine, his Abarth will end up going away for one. He's got an 85' GSL-SE RX7, an 88' RX7 turbo and a 92' Miata with very low miles and has owned many other Mazda cars over the years.

I think it would be cool if these new verts coming out would keep it raw, no power folding tops and maybe crank windows, manual locks and no power steering, wishful thinking, sure, but one can wish, right!

Hey no worries, everyones entitled to their opinion. The Miata/MX5 has always been two things. A good car, albeit underpowered, and a car not driven by men, unless theyre over 60 for some weird reason. I guess by then it doesnt matter.

Oddly Ive never percieved the Abarth in the same way, BUT Id probably see a non Abarth 500 as more a females car! Women have much better practical sense when it comes to cars and most would never spend the extra bucks on an Abarth when the regular 500s are so solid to begin with.

Sadly, Mazdas rust and seem to age very quickly. You never know though, Fiat seem to have kicked the bad build quality tags of the past, Fords are now more respectable too so Mazda can always up the ante themselves. The idea Chris posted of a true Abarth roadster would be fantastic but I dont see it happening nor would I expect much in the way of volume sales even if they did. The Miata, however, would probably sell very well so a joint venture would be both marques best bet!

JoeB
09-07-2014, 05:06 PM
"Chick car" is a ridiculous appellation applied to just about every small performance car in this country. It's usually stated by idiots who think a Challenger or Camaro is mid-size (they're huge). Miatas and 500/Abarths are badass, and so was my Porsche Boxster S, which also gets that tag sometimes.

Btw, women always tell me my Abarth is cute. It's a compliment from non-car people who don't have a "car word" in their vocabulary. They're right..it's cute, and I dig it!

JimmyTestarossa
09-07-2014, 11:44 PM
As a follow up, a friend of mine in the UK has never heard any derisive comments directed towards Miatas/MX-5s. Over there, they are just considered very good proper sportscars.

I think Fiat has a golden opportunity with the Mazda partnership but I have also heard that things are not well in the Fiat/Chrysler boardroom so the roadster project may be axed. Rumors, but we'll see what happens.

msjulie33
09-08-2014, 09:22 AM
I think Fiat has a golden opportunity with the Mazda partnership but I have also heard that things are not well in the Fiat/Chrysler boardroom so the roadster project may be axed. Rumors, but we'll see what happens.

That would be a shame..

bryanintowson
09-08-2014, 09:26 AM
I had not heard of any issues relating to vehicle development at FCA.... I know there has been internal debate on whether to make this new roadster an Alfa or a FIAT but aside from that all systems appeared to be a go for a launch at the Paris auto show this winter. What have you heard?

JimmyTestarossa
09-08-2014, 02:13 PM
The story I was told says Fiat is in a tough financial situation and developing a new low-ish volume sports car is not in the cards. SUVs, hatchbacks and the like are the way forward. There may be a Spider displayed at a motorshow but the chances of it making production are iffy.

On the other hand, they are talking about HUGE production numbers for Alfa which I think is flat-out impossible but we'll see.

All this may be moot if VW scoops up the whole lot but again, I don't know how likely that is. I see all this stuff as fodder for talking around the water cooler or watering hole.

Hey, wasn't the president of Ferrari going to be fired today? I haven't heard anything yet and it's evening in Italy by now.

Robert Nixon
09-08-2014, 03:18 PM
The only news I've seen today was that Marchionne stated the company will decide when people leave, including himself...this was in response to di Montezemolo saying he'd be in charge of when he left Ferrari!

JimmyTestarossa
09-09-2014, 09:46 AM
Only slightly OT but apparently there is a Ferrari board meeting later this week and some issues are going to get ironed out.

I would love the Fiat/Abarth/Alfa roadster to be a solid competitor to the Mazda and I think Fiat can make it happen if it makes sense to do so. I suspect we will hear something soon if there is no longer room in the lineup for the roadster.

Razer500
09-11-2014, 07:44 PM
Yep, someone got ironed out alright..... :)

Man I hope the Fiat Abarth version of the Miata gets made, it would be an amazing car almost certainly. Here's hoping!

eedwards
09-11-2014, 09:26 PM

-Says the guy driving a Fiat
:) HAHAHA

All humor aside, The Miata has always had a solid performance setup that has made it one of the most successful racers of all time. With the new commitment to lighter weight, Mazda has a real winner on its hands. If Fiat can make theirs different enough (coupe?) and it has distinctive Italian styling, I think it will be a big hit for them. It would certainly help round out the Fiat showroom.

Fiat500USA
09-11-2014, 09:41 PM
The only news I've seen today was that Marchionne stated the company will decide when people leave, including himself...this was in response to di Montezemolo saying he'd be in charge of when he left Ferrari!

Only slightly OT but apparently there is a Ferrari board meeting later this week and some issues are going to get ironed out.

Well here's what happened: http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/content.php?232-Ferrari-Head-Montezemolo-Resigns