PDA

View Full Version : Painting 17" Hyper Black Wheels

sjmst
09-03-2014, 11:00 AM
I am thinking of refinishing my wheels. The hyper blacks are really nice and the paint quality is awesome. But, they are all curbed a bit :apologetic: and I may have them fixed.
I also like the look of bright wheels vs. the dark. I am bored/donít care for the black wheels against the red car. So, anyone have opinions of painting these bright silver?
Thanks
Sam

thereisnospork
09-03-2014, 06:51 PM
Plasti-dip 'em. Then if you don't like the new look you can peel and go back to stock (or repeat in a new color).

Thunderbolt
09-03-2014, 09:08 PM
The hyper-blacks are anodized. I don't know what prep is required, but just something to note.

Tweak
09-03-2014, 09:55 PM
Plasti-dip 'em. Then if you don't like the new look you can peel and go back to stock (or repeat in a new color).

This would be what I would do to test the waters and Anthracite is available in Plasti-Dip.

Perhaps instead of silver though you might like Anthracite?

Some on red cars... https://www.google.com/search?newwindow=1&es_sm=122&biw=1536&bih=783&tbm=isch&q=anthracite+wheels+on+red+car&revid=493740935&dpr=1.25

sjmst
09-03-2014, 10:00 PM

Not a bad idea. I know plastidip is good for dark colors. Not sure how silver would look,

thereisnospork
09-04-2014, 12:04 AM
Not a bad idea. I know plastidip is good for dark colors. Not sure how silver would look,
You could probably lay a white plastidip base coat then add silver with a 'metallizer,' which is as far as I can tell just a plastic-adhesible conventional metallic silver spray paint. For a darker silver maybe a light grey base?

jason3d
09-08-2014, 12:51 AM
I would love to pick up a set of 17's and paint or powdercoat them silver. Anyone in Socal selling a set?

13VaAbarth
09-08-2014, 03:22 PM
Just go all out and get them Black chromed

sjmst
09-08-2014, 03:31 PM
Just go all out and get them Black chromed

Probably would be nice. But I'm an old school guy and like silver wheels.

Fiat500USA
09-08-2014, 06:13 PM
The red Abarth with silver /light grey wheels in the picture you posted looks nice and would be a nice change of pace.

gadaboutgolfer
09-14-2014, 08:46 PM
I just jazzed up my hyperblacks a little bit by painting the recessed lettering and putting some red lug covers. I used the touch-up paint pen for the lettering...taking the wheels off to lay flat for painting and let dry between coats. It was a good project for a weekend visit at my dad's in the country. I like it! Of course that probably doesn't cure your desire to fix the curbed places.

coreyfrix
09-14-2014, 09:38 PM

Rosso looks nice with a Grigio car.

Corey

Mickk56
09-14-2014, 10:27 PM
Looks nice. I like it!

Purgatory
09-14-2014, 10:44 PM
I like the lettering on the "Abarth" part of the rims, that must have taken one steady hand to do that. Would love that done on my white 17" rims, but afraid I would screw it up big time.

Tweak
09-14-2014, 11:08 PM
I like the lettering on the "Abarth" part of the rims, that must have taken one steady hand to do that. Would love that done on my white 17" rims, but afraid I would screw it up big time.

How to best do this was discussed and detailed rather well here at one time and it was shocking much easier than one might think. Maybe a search will turn it up if you are interested enough David.

Purgatory
09-15-2014, 12:02 AM
Thought it was a "new" idea, would have no idea if it had been tried before or not. Still pretty cool, bright red would really stand out on the white rims, plus I get tired of cleaning the brake dust out of the lettering 1x-3x a day. Still would take a steady hand, even with one of those tiny tipped touch up pens.

jason3d
09-15-2014, 01:29 AM
Putting my set on the car that were freshly painted satin black. I'll post a pic when I get them on the car this week.

Tweak
09-15-2014, 11:17 AM
Thought it was a "new" idea, would have no idea if it had been tried before or not. Still pretty cool, bright red would really stand out on the white rims, plus I get tired of cleaning the brake dust out of the lettering 1x-3x a day. Still would take a steady hand, even with one of those tiny tipped touch up pens.

It's been done for awhile and 500Madness around the time began to offer it for their customers.

Here is a thread discussing it from March 2013... http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?9058-Newb-here-anyone-paint-the-ABARTH-lettering-on-your-16-inch-OEMs&highlight=abarth+lettering

cgpiper
09-16-2014, 12:02 PM
I know this thread is a choice between silver and black, but I'm seriously thinking of getting my extra set of hyperblacks painted red to match the red striping, seats, and my scorpion vinyl on my black Abarth. That way I'd had my original hyperblack for the daily driver tires and the red for my AX days. But powdercoating is a bit expensive, which is why I'm still thinking about it. :ambivalence:

Tweak
09-16-2014, 07:55 PM
I know this thread is a choice between silver and black, but I'm seriously thinking of getting my extra set of hyperblacks painted red to match the red striping, seats, and my scorpion vinyl on my black Abarth. That way I'd had my original hyperblack for the daily driver tires and the red for my AX days. But powdercoating is a bit expensive, which is why I'm still thinking about it. :ambivalence:

Red plastidip isn't too costly and can be reversed fairly easily.

cgpiper
09-17-2014, 01:12 AM
Hmmm. I'd never heard of plastidip before this thread so I just spent a while on the plastidip web site forum. I was thinking the whole issue looked pretty complicated until I realized they were discussing plastidipping entire cars. I guess doing a set of wheels isn't that big a deal, eh?

Tweak
09-17-2014, 10:19 PM
Hmmm. I'd never heard of plastidip before this thread so I just spent a while on the plastidip web site forum. I was thinking the whole issue looked pretty complicated until I realized they were discussing plastidipping entire cars. I guess doing a set of wheels isn't that big a deal, eh?

As long as you clean the area getting the dip and shake and warm the dip then take your time with then even coats that are allowed to dry (15ish min) between coats you'll be fine. It isn't really difficult and since it is so easy to remove making a mistake is not a big deal.